HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

AHL, support or not?

Old
10-06-2012, 10:02 AM
Faltorvo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Notice that its a good opportunity to raise ticket prices for Marlies games?

Lol @ fans mocking OP for taking a stance. Personally, I don't mind Marlie games and have already purchased a pair of tix for my bro's birthday. I go to a game or two every season since they have been at Ricoh. For 75 bucks I got two center ice mid level seats. Very reasonable IMO. Its decent hockey and you are watching pros. But I understand fully those who won't give a penny to MLSE...even going as far as boycotting Bell and Rogers communication services....its a lot of hassle and at the end of the day...ALL the fans in Toronto will flock back once the NHL starts up again. So really what's the point unless you plan on never returning. And if that's your stance...I fully support it. I pretty much did the same thing with MLB when they cancelled the World Series.
It's like voting, ya ,your only a force of one taking a stand but the reality is, that is all you have control over.

So, you do your part, what feels right for you.

Lets not forget every time you count something , it always starts at 1.

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 10:04 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by col char View Post
Don't the Battalion have one more season left at their rink?

I think half of their problem is that the rink is in a lousy location traffic wise. The other half of their problem is that the demographics of Brampton have changed significantly and a lot of the people living here now come from cultures that know nothing of hockey so the team's potential fan base has decreased significantly.
There is truth in this.

Might be a easer sell if one started up a cricket league.

Old
10-06-2012, 06:05 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
OHL >>> AHL

Support LOCAL hockey. Unless you live downtown, the Marlies aren't local. Support the Steelheads, the Battalion, the Generals, Colts, Ice Dogs, Rangers, Petes, Knights, etc...

We have the greates junior league on earth and the NHL's #1 feeder system right in our backyards. If you consider yourself a hockey fan, you are doing yourself, and your home province a disservice by not attending.

I have no plans on attending Marlies games. To me, giving the Marlies money is just tacit approval of the NHL's business practices.

Knights & Generals! All day!
agree with this 100%. major junior hockey is the best entertainment bang for your buck.

ahl is terrible.

Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 06:56 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
agree with this 100%. major junior hockey is the best entertainment bang for your buck.

ahl is terrible.
CIS is pretty good depending where you live. Juniors in men's bodies.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 01:15 PM
colchar

The other thing to consider here is why punish MLSE by not going to see the Marlies when there is absolutely no indication that they are behind the lockout? Sure there are teams pushing for it and who seem to be guiding the actions of the owners but are MLSE included in that group? I somehow doubt it.

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 01:58 PM
Sam Slick*

Boycott? Too funny. The second the strike is over, is the same second that the arena sells out.

I am lucky because of where i live. I don't have to give in and go to anygames. I can only watch them on TV for FREE!!

All you people that are paying for hockey through the season just need to get rid of your paid subscriptions and stream the games for free. ITS FREE people!!

Got the big screen, no worries about parking, high ticket costs, food, the amount of people in my family running up costs etc. Its free.

I think maybe I will buy my wife something nice....since I get to watch hockey for FREE!!

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 02:01 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
The other thing to consider here is why punish MLSE by not going to see the Marlies when there is absolutely no indication that they are behind the lockout? Sure there are teams pushing for it and who seem to be guiding the actions of the owners but are MLSE included in that group? I somehow doubt it.
The owners are locking out the players.

The MLSE are locking are amongst the owners.

Therefore they are just as much to blame.

As for the AHL, i'll support the Marlies the same that I always have. Will check in on scores here and there, maybe a game once a year, but nothing more or nothing less.

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 02:44 PM
Happy Fan
nifty

Ill get to go for free for work if a client wants to go. So damn right I support the AHL

Happy Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 06:18 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

I only support the team that Deschamps plays for.

:sarcasm FYI

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 06:24 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by cup67 View Post
Should we ban, from watching, buying tickets, supporting the AHL?
the nhl team owners do own those teams, should they be making profits from those games? from the fans of hockey, since they did lock out the nhl players.

what do you guys think?
By that logic should people in Toronto then stop watching and purchasing tickets for the Toronto Raptors and Toronto FC? Even though those sports are Baseketball and Soccer both of those teams are still owned by Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment, so either way they are still making money off the people living in Toronto and the GTA.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 06:47 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
CIS is pretty good depending where you live. Juniors in men's bodies.
true, aus hockey is great. that unb team is a juggernaut.

Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 10:27 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
...been a pretty special program since the mid 90's. Should have at least two more banners than they do.

Old
10-07-2012, 10:55 PM
leafsfuture

Quote:
I go to McGill and saw UNB trash us last week. McGill are the reigning CIS champs, but we have lost 10 players from last year, of which 5 signed pro deals either in the AHL or Europe.

UNB is stacked though. For example Cam Critchlow, captain of the Mooseheads last year received minimal playing time.

The last two years though I went to quite a few McGill games, we had a few really solid guys the past couple years. Marc Andre Dorion was like Tomas Kaberle on defence, amazing vision, so calm and cool with the puck, he now is a top defenceman for Linz in Austria. Francis Verrault-Paul was our top scorer, and also the CIS's top s***t disturber. 2 years ago he led the league in goals with 28 (in under 20 games) and im pretty sure he also led the league in PIM's, he is now playing for the CT Whale.

Its fun hockey. Almost all these guys played major junior, and while many of the guys are just playing hockey for the CHL to cover tuition it is fairly fast paced.

leafsfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 08:37 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
I go to McGill and saw UNB trash us last week. McGill are the reigning CIS champs, but we have lost 10 players from last year, of which 5 signed pro deals either in the AHL or Europe.

UNB is stacked though. For example Cam Critchlow, captain of the Mooseheads last year received minimal playing time.

The last two years though I went to quite a few McGill games, we had a few really solid guys the past couple years. Marc Andre Dorion was like Tomas Kaberle on defence, amazing vision, so calm and cool with the puck, he now is a top defenceman for Linz in Austria. Francis Verrault-Paul was our top scorer, and also the CIS's top s***t disturber. 2 years ago he led the league in goals with 28 (in under 20 games) and im pretty sure he also led the league in PIM's, he is now playing for the CT Whale.

Its fun hockey. Almost all these guys played major junior, and while many of the guys are just playing hockey for the CHL to cover tuition it is fairly fast paced.
The AUS is pretty talented. Most years there is one or two AUS teams in the championship final and if you follow the top 10, usually several of their teams are featured. If memory serves UNB once had 11 major junior captains on its squad? I could be wrong but I seem to remember reading it. That's crazy. Remember Boyce doing real well there before becoming a Leaf.

Old
10-08-2012, 08:41 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
It was a 30 to 0 vote for a lock out by the owners.

Thats good enough for me to boycott the AHL team.

Old
10-08-2012, 09:37 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
It was a 30 to 0 vote for a lock out by the owners.

Thats good enough for me to boycott the AHL team.
You do realize that 30-0 vote is for show and not a true reflection of ow each team feels about the lockout, right? In situations like this organization usually first takes a straw poll to decide what result is and then do an official vote which is almost always unanimous especially in cases where the league wants to present a unified front.

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 11:29 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
You do realize that 30-0 vote is for show and not a true reflection of ow each team feels about the lockout, right? In situations like this organization usually first takes a straw poll to decide what result is and then do an official vote which is almost always unanimous especially in cases where the league wants to present a unified front.
Yup i do realize.

But the proposals put forth buy the league so far, i can see MLSE being right behind it.

Lower HRR?

Lower the cap?

No substantial rev sharing put forth?

Extend control of players?

Limit contract length?

All equals more profit and more control, sounds like Bell/Rogers to me.

Old
10-08-2012, 11:47 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Yup i do realize.

But the proposals put forth buy the league so far, i can see MLSE being right behind it.

Lower HRR?

Lower the cap?

Limit contract length?

Sure does. Mega Corp at work. Like I also mentioned before...unless you plan on never returning and not subscribing to any of the other services provided by the mega-corp....which is not even a possibility in some parts of the country...I don't see any point. I'm not saying that its the wrong stance to take because its an admirable one but I doubt just boycotting some AHL games while the lockout is in progress would make any real dent in the money printing machine known as MLSE/Bell/Rogers.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 04:09 PM
Ari91

Quote:
Yup i do realize.

Lower HRR?

Lower the cap?

Limit contract length?

So you take a hard stance against the Marlies due to what you THINK is happening behind closed doors with the owners? Your logic is outstanding.

-The Leafs are MLSE's cash cow. They make more money when the Leafs are playing than when they aren't. Quite simple. They may benefit in the long run by lowering player salaries but given what the Leafs mean to MLSE's profit margins, a case can be made in their favour that they may prefer to have the lockout lifted.

-Only 3 teams are guaranteed large revenue, Toronto being one of them. Why would they and the other 2 teams offer to shoulder the immense financial burden of the bottom revenue teams? The league has agreed to increase revenue sharing, that already means that it's more money coming out of Toronto's pockets. If you think that depending on a large revenue sharing pot where only a handful of teams can truly contribute is a recipe for a healthy league, then I question how much you understand what it means to runs a healthy business. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that a model for a healthy league should be about many teams helping few teams rather than few teams helping many teams.

-Who on the Leafs roster and among Leafs prospects are SO important that MLSE feels it's so important to hold out for more control over player contracts? In case you haven't noticed, they employ a GM that doesn't sign long term contracts. In case you haven't noticed, they employ a GM that doesn't hand out massive contracts with huge signing bonuses. In case you haven't noticed, the Leafs have the luxury of money that many other teams don't which means that they would actually benefit from less controlling rules regarding players contracts. Less contract controls means higher possibility of star players hitting the market and means a greater opportunity for the Leafs to financially compete for these stars. Unless you think that the Leafs already have a Carey Price, Shea Weber and Sidney Crosby in their system that they are fighting really hard to protect within their franchise, I have no clue why you would think that contract controls are a hardline for MLSE in particular.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote