HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Take a seat in the GM Chair... your offseason moves:

Closed Thread

Old
05-07-2006, 03:27 PM
Marchy79

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
The Canucks definitely would. Where does RiBeiro play in Vancouver? He's not going to be on either of the two top lines and he's certainly not a guy you want on the 3rd/4th line. And Aebischer, with Cloutier, Auld and Noronen already in the system do the Canucks really need another "average goaltender"? Irregardless of how low you feel Bertuzzi's value is(funny, in what is considered a poor season he would've led the Habs in scoring while being one of their most physical players), that trade makes zero sense from a Canucks' POV.
I was just making mention of your sig... when offered a second line center, a 2/3 line winger, and a starting goalie... you mentioned 'you dont want our trash'... all the while having a sig saying 'I got paid 5.2 Million to show up for 20 games' with a big pic of Bertuzzi in it...
I for one dont think what we offered was 'trash' nor do I think Bert has extremely low value...
However offering Ribs & Aebi, who combined still make well below 5.2 Million, and whether you believe it or not... Aebi would be the top horse in your stable when it comes to goalies... Ribs is a quality # 2 who can rack up points... and with the snipers that Vancouver possesses... That can be very beneficial to your club.

Old
05-07-2006, 03:35 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1
I was just making mention of your sig... when offered a second line center, a 2/3 line winger, and a starting goalie... you mentioned 'you dont want our trash'... all the while having a sig saying 'I got paid 5.2 Million to show up for 20 games' with a big pic of Bertuzzi in it...
Trash probably was too strong of a description, but these are the same three guys that seem to appear in 95% of proposal's regarding the Habs. It seems like most Montreal fan's can't wait to get rid of these guys, namely RiBeiro and Zednik. Doesn't mean they are worthless, but there's a reason you guys don't want RiBeiro, and it's the same reason I don't want him on my favorite team either.

As for my sig, it's a joke. Bertuzzi was certainly a dissapointment this season, but I still realize that he can be a very valuable asset for the Canucks whether they decide to trade him or keep him.

Quote:
However offering Ribs & Aebi, who combined still make well below 5.2 Million, and whether you believe it or not... Aebi would be the top horse in your stable when it comes to goalies... Ribs is a quality # 2 who can rack up points... and with the snipers that Vancouver possesses... That can be very beneficial to your club.
I strongly disagree that Aebischer would become the Canucks' top goalie, that's certainly debateable. Even if he was, is he that much better than Auld, Cloutier and Noronen? Not at all, so acquiring him would make zero sense, especially since Cloutier is already signed for next season at $2.5 mil. As for RiBeiro, he's not going to beat out Morrison or Henrik for a spot, so he's got no place on the Canucks. He's not a 3rd/4th line center, he as well makes zero sense for the Canucks. Zednik I could see fitting in with the Canucks and I think he could rebound next season, but his value doesn't come close to Bertuzzi's and adding a couple players the Canucks would have no use for just makes the proposal even worse. In the end, that deal makes no sense from a Canucks' POV and they would be better off to just hang onto Bertuzzi(which I would have no problem with).

Old
05-07-2006, 03:51 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
Trash probably was too strong of a description, but these are the same three guys that seem to appear in 95% of proposal's regarding the Habs. It seems like most Montreal fan's can't wait to get rid of these guys, namely RiBeiro and Zednik. Doesn't mean they are worthless, but there's a reason you guys don't want RiBeiro, and it's the same reason I don't want him on my favorite team either.

As for my sig, it's a joke. Bertuzzi was certainly a dissapointment this season, but I still realize that he can be a very valuable asset for the Canucks whether they decide to trade him or keep him.

I strongly disagree that Aebischer would become the Canucks' top goalie, that's certainly debateable. Even if he was, is he that much better than Auld, Cloutier and Noronen? Not at all, so acquiring him would make zero sense, especially since Cloutier is already signed for next season at $2.5 mil. As for RiBeiro, he's not going to beat out Morrison or Henrik for a spot, so he's got no place on the Canucks. He's not a 3rd/4th line center, he as well makes zero sense for the Canucks. Zednik I could see fitting in with the Canucks and I think he could rebound next season, but his value doesn't come close to Bertuzzi's and adding a couple players the Canucks would have no use for just makes the proposal even worse. In the end, that deal makes no sense from a Canucks' POV and they would be better off to just hang onto Bertuzzi(which I would have no problem with).
Ahh.. I agree with your thoughts... If I had Bertuzzi I wouldnt trade unless the absolute right deal was made... Literally, a team SHOULD have to blow Nonis' socks off, and make the team stronger immediately, and possibly even for the future... (that's what I would ask for)...
While I understand the reasoning behind it all, let me just point out that while a majority of posts begin and end with these 3 players, it's not necessarily poor play that got them in this mentality around the boards...

Zednik for one, has been a great Candien since he arrived from Washington. He struggled this year to find his niche (probably due to missing training camp)... I agree he's going to be rebound material... He had a hard time adjusting to the fact that he's not the go-to winger in town anymore... Next year IMO he should definately regain some status, and hopefully the impatient will want him around again.

Ribeiro has been accosted mainly because of unfair expectations due to Foule bringing him up WELL before he was anywhere close to being ready. He's a cocky little bugger... Personally I love the kid, however it's definately a love/hate thing with Mikey Ribs... For some reason hab fans can't relate to both Saku and Ribs at the same time... I am part of a small group who likes both players... Ribs really grew on me, and was playing the best hockey of his career in the final stages of the regular season. Personally, I expect larger things out of him next year.

Aebi... well, he arrived on unequal ground, and was used sparingly... He lost the first 2 games, then played strong against the Sens... I'd still like to see what he can do... as he was the final goalie to receive tuteledge under St. Patrick... To me, it's bringing the legacy back that we lost when we dealt Patrick away...

To be quite honest... though these guys are consistently offered, and many hab fans wanted to see a deal yesterday... Im more patient, and I want to see what these guys can do... It's just me I guess... But I am more excited about the inner growth our team is doing then what most other teams can offer me...
Bertuzzi is one of those guys who would be intriguing... however it is also my belief he IS hard to get, and IMO maybe the price tag would be too steep for the habs.

Old
05-08-2006, 02:17 AM
SpezNc

Quits: Ribeiro, Zednik, Bulis, Sundstrom, Simpson, Aebischer, Bouillon

Propects : "in the system" graduates like Kostitsyn, Chipchura, Lapierre and maybe Latendresse

UFA signature: Mckee and try to sign Arnott

trade: if you're not able to sign Arnott, try to trade for Bertuzzi

or maybe Lindros...

Old
05-08-2006, 04:14 AM
habsforlife

UFA
sign arnott
sign huet
sign bouillon
sign redden but probably more kubina could be possible.
sign laracque

trade for bertuzzi or something very good.
probably would have to to land souray in the deal. i dont like it but you have to do what you have to do.
maybe trade ribs zednik and souray for bertuzzi and a pick probably. or trade any kid exept for the one already on the team AND kost, latendresse, price, emelin, chipchura and brother kost.

lines would be.

ryder - koivu - bertuzzi
higgins - arnott - kovalev
ak46 (maybe thender?) - plekanec - perezhogin
begin - bonk - laracque (trade bonk for 4th rounder or something for salary drop if necessary and put murray with begin and laracque)
murray
downey maybe

markov - komisarek
redden - rivet (logically replace redden by kubina)
bouillon - dandeneault
cote
problem on LD if kubina is in instead of redden.

huet
danis

gives us 2 extremely dangerous lines, a very good 3rd line with talent and a 4th line with either poise if no bonk and with bonk it is a very good 4th line.

thats a hell of a lineup. we get it all, grit, big at center and forward, lots of speed everywhere. great on the scoring department for the PP and very good pk players with bonk, begin, higgins, murray, plekanec.

we get contenders even with kubina instead of redden.

what you guys think?

sure its all drastic moves to the team but i dont think its that unrealistic exept for redden for redden who is unprobable.

Old
05-08-2006, 06:14 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Departures - Bulis, Sundstrom, Simpson (probably Downey)

Potential trade bait - Zednik, Aebischer, Ribeiro, (maybe Souray/Bouillon, but only if we get a good UFA Dman).

Lineup:

Ryder - Koivu - Perezhogin
Kostitsyn - Lang - Kovalev
Higgins - Plekanec - Begin
Murray - Bonk - Ferland/Lapierre
Ferland/Lapierre

Markov - Rivet
Souray - Komisarek
Bouillon - Dandenault
Cote

Huet
Danis

In goal:
Re-signing Huet seems like on obvious choice. He played very well this year and seems to like the town and the team. Bringing him back as the #1 for next year would be a good step forward, give him either a 2 or 3 year deal (maybe $2m, $2.5m and if 3 year deal then $2.8 for the last year). His backup I imagine would be Danis, assuming he has any future with this team, now would be the time to get him involved. Aebi would likely be a better quality guy in the backup spot, but he wants to be a #1 and his salary isn't exactly backup money. So in my mind, give the spot to Danis, let him spend more time around NHL'ers and see how he progresses. Meanwhile, Halak can take his spot in Hamilton where he has already impressed.

Defense:
Like many, I'd love to see us bring in a top quality UFA Dman. There are a few available, Chara, Redden, Kubina and (to a lesser extent) McKee are obvious targets. If we can bring one of these guys in, that would be great. Depending on what minutes the UFA would need I would suggest making Souray or Bouillons spot available. If we can't get a UFA however, I'm happy with the D lines as listed above. Souray and Komisarek both had tought years but showed at times why its good to have them around. Dandenault started off badly but showed how good he can be in the run up to and during the playoffs. Bouillon is a good guy to keep around also, works hard all the time. Those 4 guys have been questioned quite a bit over the past season, but I believe that they can do a good job for us next year as well. Cote should be kept around as a 7th Dman. Like Danis, if he is to ever have a part to play with this team, we will have to give him the opportunity next year. Markov and Rivet had good seasons also and seem like obvious guys to keep around. Markov is still improving by the looks of things and Rivet stepped his play up and is an important leader on the team.

Offence:
1st Line
Ryder - Koivu - Perezhogin
This line has a bit of everything. Koivu is the set up guy, Ryder the finisher, Pez the speedster. Saku and Pez can chase down and fight for pucks, Ryder can go to the front of the net. Ryder showed some good chemistry with Saku this year and earlier in the season, so did Pez. I'd like to put the line together and see how they do. I think next season, Pez will be more ready for top line minutes, but even if he isn't, we can find someone to replace him with.

2nd Line
Kostitsyn - Lang - Kovalev
Offence: check. Defence: erm, hopefully. But aside from that, I can see this line working. I'll start with Lang, based on the assumption we manage to trade Zednik (maybe plus parts) to Detroit. Reasons for going with Lang: He is a big centre, something we have wanted for a while. He is right handed, something else we have looked for in a centre. He has past chemistry with Kovalev, hopefully he re-finds it quickly. He is in the last year of his contract: this makes anyone produce, it seems. Of all the options available (Arnott, Ribs, UFA), I really like this idea of getting Lang for the reasons mentioned. He is expensive, but its his last year so he will likely being trying to impress. If it works, great, if it doesn't, we just let him go. Kovalev on his wing seems liek an obvious decision, hopefully, it will be the healthy Kovalev and not the one-legged version. Kostitsyn taking the other wing because i believe he is ready. He looked good in his stint with Montreal this season, at times he looked ready for the big league while in the AHL but his consistency is what he has to work on. He has all the tools he needs for the NHL, now all he needs is the belt to put them securely into. I was tempted to suggest going after a UFA winger or trying to get Selanne (in which case AK goes to the forth line to play with Begin and Murray) But i think our youth can get it done.

3rd line
Higgins - Plekanec - Begin
The shutdown line. These guys can do a lot for us. They can hold the other teams top line off the scoreboard, they can skate fast, they can take their man out of the play and be defensively responsible - and thats all without the puck. They can win faceoffs and they have some decent offensive ability with Higgins and Plekanec. If Begin drives to the net, he could score a few more for us next season. Playing against pace is difficult and these guys have it and can use it going in any direction.

4th line
Murray - Bonk - Ferland/Lapierre
Keeping Bonk around? Yup. Because I dont think we can trade him. Buy him out? Bit of a waste of money. I think if we keep him around on the 4th line, he can provide a little experience for the 2 young guys either side of him, we can give him lots of time on the PK where he is of use and he is good depth should something happen to our other centres. Murray deserves his place out there, worked hard this season and impressed me when i saw him play. Hopefully he has learned a few things this year, gotten used to his teammates and the city and has a better season next year. Ferland or Lapierre on the other wing - give the position to the best guy in camp and keep the other around in case we need an extra body or just to provide competition for places. I think both guys deserve a chance and with a little more experience, could prove to be useful players on the 4th line.

That would be how i'd set the team up next year although again, it requires using a lot of youngsters in the lineup. But they are all reaching that stage now where they can challenge for an NHL roster spot and if we don't push them now, we may as well trade them or just let them go. Give them the challenge and see how they respond. Also, top line scoring may still be an issue. I'm hoping with a healthy ryder, a more experienced Perezhogin and Lang appearing on the 2nd line (and getting Kovalev closer to his best levels of production) would be enough to fix that. But of course, we may find the need for a top scorer is still there. If we get a guy like Selanne to take some of the scoring slack, then i'd try these forward lines:

Ryder - Koivu - Selanne
Perezhogin - Lang - Kovalev
Higgins - Plekanec - Bonk
Murray - Begin - Kostitsyn

I think AK playing with those two guys would step his intensity up and when i've seen his intensity go up, the rest of his play tends to as well. The first line has the chemistry and ability to succeed. Hopefully the same would be true of the second line. Bonk takes third line wing as i'd like to keep him around for PK duties and playing him on the fourth line would take away from what i'd want to surround Kostitsyn with.

Old
05-08-2006, 04:41 PM
mayday199

Montreal has alot of talent in the system, obviously there is not going to be enough room to bring up some of the ready prospects with the current lineup.

The thing is, to really improve the team is an Gainey-esque way I think you'll see two scenarios.

1) He will trade a couple prospects (Latendresse, O'byrne, Emelin) and Zednik/Riberio for a proven Center (IE a . Lecavalier/Datysuk in our dreams but probably someone more like David Legwand quality)

2) He will sign or trade for a high priced D-man. (jovonoski, Redden, Chara) or Boumeister, Leopold, Hannah.

I think the Detriot trade is most likely but I think you might see a prospect swap at Detriot has some reasonably good prospects on D and Montreal has a plethora of scoring forwards and goalies. I think a Kronvall-Lang for Ribeiro-Kostitsyn-Goalie Prospect (Danis, Halak or Heino Leinberg mayber even aeby)
Detroit would love to fill out some goalie prospects.

The thing I see being a big problem is signing the current team, Ryder is going to get Minimum 3million a year and Huet will probably go for the same. that will eat up a bit of cap space, making it likely to see Souray get shipped out due to cost if they sign a UFA big Dman (Would love to see Chara!).

The players alot of people talk about Trading (Ribeiro, Aeby, Zednik, Bulis) either don't have alot of market value or have a very small list of teams that might be interested....

All I hope is for a big Shake up in Defense and a new 2nd line Center...

Line Up

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder
Perezoghin-Legwand/Lang-Kovalev
Latendresse/Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Begin
Murray-Bonk-Downey

Boumeister/Chara-Markov
Kronvall-Rivet
Boullion/Streit-Komisarek

Old
05-09-2006, 10:58 PM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
I'd trade Zednik, Perezhogin, and a 2nd to Vancouver for Bertuzzi.
Sign Ruutu from Vancouver
Sign Pisani from Edmonton
Resign Bulis
Let go of Sundstrom

Here would be my lines:

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder
Bertuzzi - Ribeiro - Kovalev
Bulis - Plekanec - Pisani
Ruutu - Begin - Murray

Extras: Bonk (if we can't find a taker) and Downey

Markov - Komisarek
Souray - Rivet
(UFA) - Dandeneault

Extras: Simpson/Streit

Let go of Bouillon, keep Simpson, and maybe Streit.
There's a ton of UFA Ds who are interesting, not just the Charas and Reddens of this world but the Kubas etc...

Old
05-10-2006, 01:28 AM
L'abstrait

Send a message via MSN to L'abstrait
I would be very interested if we could sign one of Jay McKee or Willie Mitchell.

Old
05-10-2006, 03:25 AM
Pere Noel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8

Trades:

To Vancouver: Richard Zednik, Radek Bonk
To Montreal: Todd Bertuzzi

To Tampa Bay: David Aebischer
To Montreal: 2nd round pick 2006

Bertuzzi I think will be a salary dump, I really don't think he will go for a fair value around the league. they might not save that much off the original deal but Zednik can easily be shopped around and they have to take a bad contract (lesser one) when u trade Todd.
No way Vancouver takes Bonk. It they trade Bertuzzi, it is to clear salary... and certainly not get another salary problem.

I think Bertuzzi-Zednik alone would fit better a salary dump scheme.

When Gainey dumped Theodore's salary... we didn't have to take another bad salary... just someone (Aebischer) who had not shined as much at any point of his career than Theodore.

As for your trade with Tamba Bay... I don't see why we would help them fight us for a playoff spot, by solving their goaltending situation cheaply (1.9Millions)... and for only a second round pick?

Maybe against a good forward but otherwise... I don't want to help them.

Old
05-10-2006, 10:00 AM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakhov
I'd trade Zednik, Perezhogin, and a 2nd to Vancouver for Bertuzzi.
Sign Ruutu from Vancouver
Sign Pisani from Edmonton
Resign Bulis
Let go of Sundstrom

Here would be my lines:

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder
Bertuzzi - Ribeiro - Kovalev
Bulis - Plekanec - Pisani
Ruutu - Begin - Murray

Extras: Bonk (if we can't find a taker) and Downey

Markov - Komisarek
Souray - Rivet
(UFA) - Dandeneault

Extras: Simpson/Streit

Let go of Bouillon, keep Simpson, and maybe Streit.
There's a ton of UFA Ds who are interesting, not just the Charas and Reddens of this world but the Kubas etc...
Holy Cow.... your propsals would send us backwards.

Bertuzzi is NOT the player he once was and if you think a change of scenery would bring him back to the dominating forward, you are taking a HUGE risk. Add to the fact you would give up Zednik, PEREZHOGIN and a 2nd round pick for a $7 million dollar risk is just nuts!

Perezhogin alone has more upside that Bertuzzi... we aren't ONE player for a cup!

The youth movement will continue with Gainey and he won't trade young talent for large contracts. Geez you spend all that time scouting and developing talent just to throw it away on a over hyped player on the downside of his career!

We need a STRONG 2nd line center, keeping Ribero (can't skate, can't shoot, can't play defence, make stupid comments to the media so he can't be great in the dressing room) ... Ribero to Washington for their 2nd pick in the 2007 NHL draft and a 4th pick in this years draft.

The 2 for one trades and the throw in (picks and players ) are Rejean Houle specials which killed this franchise for 10+ years...

Gainey is too smart for that...thank god!!

Old
05-10-2006, 10:07 AM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by may999
Montreal has alot of talent in the system, obviously there is not going to be enough room to bring up some of the ready prospects with the current lineup.

The thing is, to really improve the team is an Gainey-esque way I think you'll see two scenarios.

1) He will trade a couple prospects (Latendresse, O'byrne, Emelin) and Zednik/Riberio for a proven Center (IE a . Lecavalier/Datysuk in our dreams but probably someone more like David Legwand quality)

2) He will sign or trade for a high priced D-man. (jovonoski, Redden, Chara) or Boumeister, Leopold, Hannah.

I think the Detriot trade is most likely but I think you might see a prospect swap at Detriot has some reasonably good prospects on D and Montreal has a plethora of scoring forwards and goalies. I think a Kronvall-Lang for Ribeiro-Kostitsyn-Goalie Prospect (Danis, Halak or Heino Leinberg mayber even aeby)
Detroit would love to fill out some goalie prospects.

The thing I see being a big problem is signing the current team, Ryder is going to get Minimum 3million a year and Huet will probably go for the same. that will eat up a bit of cap space, making it likely to see Souray get shipped out due to cost if they sign a UFA big Dman (Would love to see Chara!).

The players alot of people talk about Trading (Ribeiro, Aeby, Zednik, Bulis) either don't have alot of market value or have a very small list of teams that might be interested....

All I hope is for a big Shake up in Defense and a new 2nd line Center...

Line Up

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder
Perezoghin-Legwand/Lang-Kovalev
Latendresse/Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Begin
Murray-Bonk-Downey

Boumeister/Chara-Markov
Kronvall-Rivet
Boullion/Streit-Komisarek
Like you said, in your dreams.

Old
05-10-2006, 02:11 PM
Artie

Okay I'm taking my seat as the GM and borrowing an old line...and this is fantasy

And now for soemthing completely different:

A lot has been said about the so called chemistry between Land and Kovalev. My 1st call is to Detroit.

Offer Kovalev for Jiri Fischer.

They get some scoring punch that may get them a better return on their investment with Lang. Cdns will have to offset with something to compensate for salary.

Next call is to Chicago

Find out what they want for Mark Bell, making this deal gets you a young physical center who is still relatively inexpensive. Chicago's needs are a plenty and MTL has some decent prospects that could help with the Hawks rebuilding.

Next call is to Lehtinen's agent and Langenbrunner's agent.

Make a serious pitch for either of them. Sign one. Langenbrunner will be less of a cap hit, but I'm thinking that Lehtinen may be more helpful.

Next call is to Huet's agent.

My offer is 2 years at 4.5 million (with a $1 million signing bonus paid upront as compensation for this year). Total of 5.5 million over 2 years. if he signs great, if not let him walk and you have Aebie and Danis.

Tradeable assets:

Zednik
Aebie (if Huet signs) - Danis is b/u.

Line Up

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder
Perez-Bell-Lehtinen/Langenbrunner
Pleks-Bonk-Kosts
Murray-Begin-Ribiero

Fischer-Rivet
Markov-Komisarek
Dandenault-Souray
Re-sign Bouillon

Forget Streit and Simpson

Huet
Danis

Just something to mull about!

Old
05-10-2006, 02:39 PM
Mike8

I'll ignore the hockey-side of a proposed Kovalev-for-Fischer deal and point out the fact that Fischer may not be able to play in the NHL again.

Old
05-10-2006, 02:49 PM
Artie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
I'll ignore the hockey-side of a proposed Kovalev-for-Fischer deal and point out the fact that Fischer may not be able to play in the NHL again.
I thought I had read that he was on his way to recovery and would play again.
My mistake.

Damn! So much for thinking outside the box.

Old
05-10-2006, 03:19 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie
I thought I had read that he was on his way to recovery and would play again.
My mistake.

Damn! So much for thinking outside the box.
Anyways it would be a bad trade especially when you can sign one.

Closed Thread