Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

AHL Affiliate Discussion: Norfolk Admirals

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2012, 11:20 PM
Exit Dose

vCash: 500
Glad Perlini got a shot. I was worried that we had another prospect pull a Schultz on us.

Old
10-05-2012, 02:50 AM
Giguere27

Anybody has some informations,how the players looked in the camp?Any good oder bad suprises?

Old
10-05-2012, 02:28 PM
thrillhous

How has Lindholm looked?

Old
10-05-2012, 08:17 PM
Govment Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwvs84 View Post
Last time there was a lockout, I remember the Ducks' farm team played a couple of games at the Pond. Any chance they'll do the same thing again if the lockout lasts a while?
It could happen if the owners of the AHL teams are compensated enough to cover the lose of revenue (home team) and the travel cost to get both teams out there. The home team would also have to reimburse the STH's for the games they were not able to attend due to venue change.
We are already losing a home game that will be played at the Verizon center in D.C. against the Bears, scheduled before the lockout. The Admirals owner better be getting a good percentage of the gate for moving a home game out of market.

Old
10-05-2012, 08:46 PM
Govment Cheese

Bob Ferguson at Training Camp

Old
10-06-2012, 04:45 AM
Exit Dose

A friend opted to buy me the Ads season pass for as an early birthday gift. So, looks like I'll be able to keep an eye on all the ducklings this season.

Old
10-06-2012, 11:00 AM
Govment Cheese

now is the time to sign up for ahl live

There is a $50 off early bird special, until 19 October.
http://ahl.neulion.com/ahl/

prices with $50 off
$350 = all games
$150 = your team home/away
$100 = your team away
$7 = single games

If you don't want to pay there is always the free radio stream.
http://www.1021fmthegame.com/

Old
10-06-2012, 11:10 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Norfolk roster for preseason games. http://www.norfolkadmirals.com/flyer...olk_Roster.pdf

Clark at 225 pounds. He really looks big in Hollands twitpics. Wagner only at 5-11, but 200 pounds.
Holland is not so big either, at 6-2 and 190.
aaaand Vatanen at 5-10 and 185

Old
10-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Exit Dose

Tonight's game is available for PPV. It looks like I'll miss the live broadcast, will have to see archive, but I'm looking forward to finally seeing Lindholm play; well, in a game where I know to look for him.

If you're interested, but the seven dollar price tag is a bit much, they usually offer an archived version after the broadcast for a few dollars less.

Old
10-06-2012, 08:25 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Andersen opens his North American career with a shutout.

EDIT: oh I guess he split the game with Bobkov

Old
10-07-2012, 12:14 AM
bumperkisser

vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Andersen opens his North American career with a shutout.

EDIT: oh I guess he split the game with Bobkov
how did the guys look? anyone see?

Old
10-07-2012, 12:18 AM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Still haven't justified paying for the AHL live package yet.

Old
10-07-2012, 01:01 AM
Paul4587

I was going to buy the archived game but it's still not available yet. From the recap on the Ads website, Palmieri had a goal and an assist, Elkins had 2 goals and Etem, DSP and Vatanen also had assists.

Old
10-07-2012, 02:02 AM
Paul4587

It's available now, I just bought the game but for some reason it charged me full price instead of 3.99 like the site said it would. The quality is pretty bad but it's better than nothing.

Old
10-07-2012, 02:19 AM
Finnpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
Norfolk roster for preseason games. http://www.norfolkadmirals.com/flyer...olk_Roster.pdf

Clark at 225 pounds. He really looks big in Hollands twitpics. Wagner only at 5-11, but 200 pounds.
Holland is not so big either, at 6-2 and 190.
aaaand Vatanen at 5-10 and 185
Finally up to date figures

Old
10-07-2012, 02:33 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

We actually have a pretty sick team prospect wise in Norfolk, i'm kind of surprised we have Lindholm there instead of Sweden though

Old
10-07-2012, 04:21 AM
Exit Dose

Is there no audio for this game?

Old
10-07-2012, 04:22 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

reportsreportsreportsreportsplease

Old
10-07-2012, 04:26 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
reportsreportsreportsreportsplease
I just started watching the archived game, and I am not getting any audio. Could be difficult to pick anyone out with the weak image quality.

Old
10-07-2012, 04:35 AM
Paul4587

I just finished watching the full game. It looked like the stream only started halfway through the first period so I may have missed a few shifts.

The lines were for the most part:
Etem - Elkins - Palmieri
Mitchell - Holland - Lasch
Brittain - McMillan - DSP
Rosehill - Wagner - Bodie

Lindholm - Guenin
Hendry - Vatanen
Smaby - Schaus

Palmieri and Lasch switched lines about halfway through the third period.

The PP lines were:
Palmieri - Vatanen - McMillan - Holland - DSP
Lindholm - Guenin - Etem - Elkins - Lasch

On the PK they mostly used the same three sets of forwards - Brittain & McMillan, Bodie & Wagner and Mitchell & Elkins. All of the defensemen were used at some point with Hendry probably being used the most.

A few notes from the game:
- Etem and Palmieri were the best two forwards offensively. Etem worked hard and was solid defensively. Offensively he was involved in the first and third goals (I thought he should have had the secondary assist on the third goal but the quality was pretty bad so I'm not sure if Lasch touched it at some point in front of the net). Palmieri looked like he was taking it easy out there but his talent level was obvious. Scored the 2nd goal on a one timer from just above the left circle.
- Elkins was solid, scored two goals which was great and was reliable at both ends. He could potentially compete for the 4th line centre job if we end up getting an NHL season.
- Holland left a lot to be desired. I barely noticed him and he didn't generate much offense at all.
- Mitchell is huge and is good along the boards. I doubt he ever sees an NHL game though.
- Wagner is fast and fiesty. Had a few scoring chances that he generated with good bursts of speed. He had a big hit in the defensive zone early on in the third period.
- Lasch was fast and worked hard. Kind of reminded me of Andrew Gordon out there. Hopefully for his sake he has better offensive ability than Gordon though.
- DSP didn't dominate as much physically as I thought he would. He was pretty solid but did leave a bit to be desired considering he is all but a lock for the NHL this year. He made a sick pass to Palmieri on the 2nd goal.
- Brittain looked like he's improved a ton since I last saw him play. He drew a penalty and generated a couple of chances, one of which was short handed. Reasonably fast once he gets going and has a great reach but is pretty clumsy out there. I don't think he'll ever make the NHL though.
- McMillan was as expected, he PKed quite a lot and was fast out there.
- Bodie was meh, I doubt he makes it back to the NHL but he's a good AHL grinder.
- Rosehill barely played.
- Lindholm was great through the first two periods. He looked almost Lidstrom like in the way he sets picks all the time. Unlike Lidstrom, he did get called for interference though. He's a good skater (his skating didn't stand out as much as I thought it would though) and wasn't afraid to use his body. Didn't show much in the offensive zone but he wasn't afraid to rush the puck. In the third period he made two glaring mistakes, the first was a brutal turnover in his own zone and the second was where he got schooled one on one by one of the Charlotte players who put the puck right through his legs for a decent scoring chance
- Vatanen was a mixture. He's not afraid to skate the puck through the neutral zone, he made a few really good rushes. His skating is outstanding, of all the defenseman we have under contract I would say only Fowler is a better skater than him. Defensively he wasn't great, he got outmuscled in the defensive zone on at least two occasions although he was pretty good positionally for the most part.
- Schaus was the worst defenseman on the ice. He's probably ECHL bound though.
- Smaby was physical and solid in his own zone. Pretty much looked like he did when he was with Tampa.
- Guenin was pretty solid. Didn't really notice him which is probably a good thing.
- Hendry was pretty solid as well. I think he made a couple of minor mistakes but nothing came of them.
- Both goalies looked good but weren't really tested a lot. Bobkov is huge.

Yeah there was no audio btw. It made it hard at first but wasn't too bad as the game went on, most players were pretty easy to pick out by their size and skating style.

Old
10-07-2012, 05:23 AM
Exit Dose

As part of the package I get to see all of the archived games. On a lark I decided to watch one of their games versus Syracuse early on from last season. I didn't realize how much dead weight we were carrying last year. Schaus and Bodie in particular stood out in the negative. It's a shame we couldn't hold on to Cumiskey, since he would have rounded out our top six this year with some extra talent and experience.

Thanks for the report, Paul. I'm going to watch the game after posting this. Send an e-mail to their support staff about the overcharge. I'm sure you can get a refund.

Old
10-07-2012, 06:48 AM
Exit Dose

Does anyone know who are wearing letters on their jerseys down there?

Old
10-07-2012, 07:16 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Much appreciated, Paul. I hope you can continue to give us the occasional analysis, and give us an idea of how our prospects are doing. I like that you're not oozing all over them, and are giving us an objective look at both the good and bad(or, at least the things that could be better) you saw in the game.

I've always paid a bit more attention to defensemen, but what you said about Vatanen and Lindholm sounds like what most of us expected. Lindholm is very young, and we're going to see young mistakes from him. I expect that he'll build some confidence, and show more on the offensive side, and that the coaches are going to start working on how he can improve his defensive game at the professional level. How polished did he look, compared to say Vatanen who has a number of years on him? Lindholm's maturity is supposed to be an asset. Based on this viewing, could you understand why Anaheim might consider Lindholm before Vatanen?

We all know Vatanen is on the smallish size, and that was an aspect that he'd probably struggle a bit with at times. This is primarily an issue on small ice, in the North American game, where he's going to be going up against powerful forwards in the corners, and he's going to need to find ways to win puck battles. I'd like to know a bit more about what you thought about his positional game. With his skating ability, he should have good gap control, and he should have no problem getting to the right spots on the ice in the D zone to cut off passes. That's what it's going to take for him to play well in the D zone, because overpowering players is unrealistic. Also, was he dangerous offensively, or did he make things happen with his rushes? Or was it more along the lines of gaining the zone, but not a whole lot came from it(which I call the Huskins syndrome)?

I expect we'll learn a lot more about them over the course of the season. One game is a rather small sample size. Mostly, it sounds like a lot of what we expected from the upper level prospects(with a few exceptions, such as DSP and Holland).

Edit: These questions really apply to anyone who has an opportunity to see them play.

Last edited by Sojourn: 10-07-2012 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Edit: Because I can.
Old
10-07-2012, 07:23 AM
Corey Perry*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Does anyone know who are wearing letters on their jerseys down there?
I'd imagine Guenin is the captain as he was Captain in Syracuse last year.

Old
10-07-2012, 07:31 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Guenin was the captain last game, Bodie was one of the asistants, as you can see in this photo galery http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...0468232&type=1

Clark didn`t play last night, he should be in the lineup tonight. Maybe he`ll get a letter tonight.

Closed Thread