HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Patrick Kane Better at RW or C?

View Poll Results: Is Patrick Kane Better at RW or C?
RW 25 75.76%
Centre 8 24.24%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-30-2012, 12:09 AM
  #1
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!
 
UsernameWasTaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,112
vCash: 500
Is Patrick Kane Better at RW or C?

This is a thread over on the polls board. Btriad pointed out in that thread that the people who had voted that Kane was better at C were both Hawks' fans - so I thought we could all discuss it here.

Me? I think he's obviously way better at RW and the only reason he would possibly play centre is b/c the only current alternative is our swedish friend.

(for the sake of discussion, if you vote, plz say why you picked the option you did ).


Last edited by UsernameWasTaken: 09-30-2012 at 12:15 AM.
UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 12:15 AM
  #2
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome
 
MeowLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baconland
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,880
vCash: 500
There are two ways you can look at this question.

Is Patrick Kane, himself, better at RW or C?

or

Is Patrick Kane, for the team, better at RW or C?

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 12:15 AM
  #3
Sevanston
Moderator
 
Sevanston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 10,937
vCash: 500
Center for me.

I just made a big post about it the other day on the Trade board. I'd copy/paste but I can't from my phone.

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 12:16 AM
  #4
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!
 
UsernameWasTaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowLeafs View Post
There are two ways you can look at this question.

Is Patrick Kane, himself, better at RW or C?

or

Is Patrick Kane, for the team, better at RW or C?
I meant the former.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 12:17 AM
  #5
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!
 
UsernameWasTaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Center for me.

I just made a big post about it the other day on the Trade board. I'd copy/paste but I can't from my phone.
which thread? i'll post if for you if you want.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 01:09 AM
  #6
Gootie
Thug of the Year
 
Gootie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chiraq
Country: United States
Posts: 25,667
vCash: 500
Better at center

Gootie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 03:31 AM
  #7
AbeLincolnsGhost
Registered User
 
AbeLincolnsGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ashland, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 818
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AbeLincolnsGhost
He's better at RW. His defensive game is lacking, though he can be quite the pick pocket at times. He just doesn't have the muscle or tools to stifle opposing offenses like a center should be able to do. He does a passable job depending on his linemates, but is still far better suited to playing the right wing with less of an expectation of defending.

AbeLincolnsGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 07:40 AM
  #8
ModryJazyk
Registered User
 
ModryJazyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bratislava
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 406
vCash: 500
It depends.... last season he was almost invisible for half season as RW on Toews line.On the opposite side, he played great as center at season start and after Toews was injured.Still, I'm not sure what to vote.

ModryJazyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 08:29 AM
  #9
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
coldsteelonice84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 26,153
vCash: 50
Wing, throw Pirri at 2C, see what happens.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 10:03 AM
  #10
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,992
vCash: 500
RW ainec

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 10:03 AM
  #11
BobbyJet
Registered User
 
BobbyJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dundas, Ontario. Can
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,419
vCash: 500
Mixed feelings myself. I think Kane has been in Toews shadow for too long.... but I'd also like to see Pirri make this team. Kane showed flashes of brilliance at the center position and it really allows his offensive creativeness to shine. All will depend on how Pirri fares in training camp, I reckon.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 10:40 AM
  #12
pvr
Kruger Line=2.5 Men
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,112
vCash: 500
There is no reason that Kane can't set up offensively like a center, but still be a winger, particularly in the defensive and neutral zones. In fact I'd like to see that more. Kind of like Gretzky below the goal line and behind the net. Maybe not all of the time, but as an addition to his repertoire of offensive moves.

Opens up different passing lanes, and gives the other team something else to worry about. He's shifty enough to pop out for a quick shot or wrap-around too. Also moves the center to a better scoring position, and gives him a leg up if the play turns around out of the offensive zone.

Lots of things to like about it.

pvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 01:33 PM
  #13
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,327
vCash: 500
he is a Top5 player as RW.... take this advantage while you have it. At #2 C we will throw some **** at the wall and see what sticks.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 07:04 PM
  #14
zytz
lumberjack
 
zytz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,806
vCash: 500
I liked what I saw from Kane at C this year. I'd be interested to see if he could expand on it.

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 08:35 PM
  #15
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,920
vCash: 500
Whether Kane is going to be a RW or a centre, just leave him be once it's decided. Don't make him a centre, then switch him to RW, then back to centre, then LW (because why not, right?), then back to centre. Give him a position and let him find his comfort level again. If it's at RW, great.. if it's at centre, don't be switching him around because he hit a rough patch. Patrick Kane is either going to be a RW or a centre on this team going forward, just decide and Kane will be fine.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 08:42 PM
  #16
BBH
34|38|61|10|13
 
BBH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chicago, IL, US of A
Country: United States
Posts: 4,208
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBH
RW without a doubt in my mind.

BBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 10:26 PM
  #17
brtriad
Registered User
 
brtriad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Loop
Country: United States
Posts: 13,004
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Center for reasons that I have repeated many times by now. He's better at it whether he likes playing it or not.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 12:34 AM
  #18
ModryJazyk
Registered User
 
ModryJazyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bratislava
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
Center for reasons that I have repeated many times by now. He's better at it whether he likes playing it or not.
well, you can repeat it again.
Kane looked disappointed, when Q moved him back to "Toews shade" on RW last season and played crap there in middle of the season.I think he likes playing his 'new' role - center much more now.

Whether he's better at center or RW, Hawks don't have any better 2C now (he's > 2C as Sharp or Kruger ) so we will see Carcillo*-Kane-Hossa line again when season starts.


Last edited by ModryJazyk: 10-01-2012 at 12:51 AM.
ModryJazyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 12:52 AM
  #19
TwistedWrister90
Registered User
 
TwistedWrister90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 4,341
vCash: 500
This is tough. I really like Kane at center with Hossa and Carcillo. His vision and playmaking ability are top notch. He's so good with open ice and creating chances. If his D and facoffs got a little better, he could be a damn good center. With the current situation the Hawks are in, I think he should play center.


Last edited by TwistedWrister90: 10-01-2012 at 01:03 AM.
TwistedWrister90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 09:39 AM
  #20
Sevanston
Moderator
 
Sevanston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 10,937
vCash: 500
Here's what I posted the other day, and then I'll add some more after.

I was significantly more impressed with Kane this year when he was playing in the middle than when he was on the right wing. I thought it gave him a lot more freedom to work his magic with the puck. When he's on the wing, generally what he does is sit on the half boards and thread a beautiful pass to the trailing man. It's worked a lot for him in the past, but this year, it seems like every team had clued in on this and cut him off before he could get anything started. When he was playing as a center with more open ice, it's harder to force him up against the wall, thus allowing Kane more options as a playmaker. Many claim that his deficiencies in the faceoff dot and defensively mean he shouldn't be played as a center. I think that's bunk too. Considering this was his first time playing center since peewees and he was nursing a wrist injury, I thought he did an exemplary job and the coaches should've spent all summer working with him on both faceoffs and defense.

Kane at center was able to turn Daniel Carcillo into a not-completely-insane-looking option at 2LW. The two of them and Hossa were one of the hottest lines in the NHL at the start of last season.

25GP, 7g, 17a, 24p, +9 in his first stints as a pivot from October to November 29th (.96 PPG)

35GP, 6g, 19a, 25p, +4 when he was a winger from December 2 to February 19 (.714 PPG)

22GP, 10g, 7a, 17p, -6 in his last games played as a center after February 19 (.772 PPG)

Yes, he was our worst regular faceoff man, and he could get hemmed in his own zone (especially on the road when other teams could get last change), but overall I think he did an excellent job. Certainly a job worthy of getting another look at, because if you can improve his performance in the faceoff dot and in his own zone, we'd have a very deadly 1-2 combo down the middle.

And because no point on HF is complete without a Youtube clip, let's not forget that Kane was playing at center when he brought us this beauty:


Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 10:48 AM
  #21
xX Hot Fuss
Registered User
 
xX Hot Fuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 10,837
vCash: 500
I think he has a lot more offensive freedom at center. I also think he proved that he can handle the center load just fine. Hell, if Tyler Bozak can be a 1C and Gagner a 2C, i think Kane stacks up pretty well.

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 02:40 PM
  #22
Puckgenius*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: At the rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,558
vCash: 500
What ever happened to Sharp at C?

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 05:33 PM
  #23
ModryJazyk
Registered User
 
ModryJazyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bratislava
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Here's what I posted the other day, and then I'll add some more after.

I was significantly more impressed with Kane this year when he was playing in the middle than when he was on the right wing. I thought it gave him a lot more freedom to work his magic with the puck. When he's on the wing, generally what he does is sit on the half boards and thread a beautiful pass to the trailing man. It's worked a lot for him in the past, but this year, it seems like every team had clued in on this and cut him off before he could get anything started. When he was playing as a center with more open ice, it's harder to force him up against the wall, thus allowing Kane more options as a playmaker. Many claim that his deficiencies in the faceoff dot and defensively mean he shouldn't be played as a center. I think that's bunk too. Considering this was his first time playing center since peewees and he was nursing a wrist injury, I thought he did an exemplary job and the coaches should've spent all summer working with him on both faceoffs and defense.

Kane at center was able to turn Daniel Carcillo into a not-completely-insane-looking option at 2LW. The two of them and Hossa were one of the hottest lines in the NHL at the start of last season.

25GP, 7g, 17a, 24p, +9 in his first stints as a pivot from October to November 29th (.96 PPG)

35GP, 6g, 19a, 25p, +4 when he was a winger from December 2 to February 19 (.714 PPG)

22GP, 10g, 7a, 17p, -6 in his last games played as a center after February 19 (.772 PPG)

Yes, he was our worst regular faceoff man, and he could get hemmed in his own zone (especially on the road when other teams could get last change), but overall I think he did an excellent job. Certainly a job worthy of getting another look at, because if you can improve his performance in the faceoff dot and in his own zone, we'd have a very deadly 1-2 combo down the middle.

And because no point on HF is complete without a Youtube clip, let's not forget that Kane was playing at center when he brought us this beauty:

nice stats,
would be great to see Hossa's stats with Kane and Kruger, I'm sure we would see even more differences....

ModryJazyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 11:20 PM
  #24
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!
 
UsernameWasTaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,112
vCash: 500
i thought i'd bump this b/c the recent Keith poll started to turn into a discussion about Kane (mea culpa - mainly b/c of me).

rather than start a new thread - let's also discuss how he did last year. obviously his #s were off - he had the wrist injury, Q's line juggling, and his shift to centre.

on top of that...i do think he needs to pick things up in general.

that aside - i do think he's best at LW ... but would probably be better at C than who we'd currently have on the team.

one thing that grabs me is that ppl, in doing their own "fantasy rosters" always put kane/toews on the same line...i actually like watching kane more when he's not playing w/ toews. i have no #s to back that up ... but i just get this feeling watching kane that he's more engaged/responsible when he's not playing w/ toews.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:39 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.