HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Unpopular Opinions You Have About the Team/Individual Players

Closed Thread

Old
10-06-2012, 08:48 PM
I Am Classless

vCash: 500
I loved Erik Christensen. I haven't been much happier watching hockey than I was at this point, although the series was a disaster and of course, EC never really was any good for us. He was so much fun to watch and I was always taken in by the idea that he had this phenomenal talent that he couldn't quite harness.

I also never really felt an "emotional connection" to Dubinsky, at least until that third man penalty against Ottawa and the Gatorade cooler thing. I always thought that Anisimov was the much better player, and he's the one out of the two that we might regret letting go.

I liked the Frolov signing, pretty much to the point of being a massive nerd for one-year contracts. Unless you're actually kissing the cap ceiling and you'd have to move parts around, there's no risk.

I think what's happening to the Islanders is a disgrace. If I was around for when they were good (or even if I lived on LI), maybe I wouldn't feel so bad for them, but I do. It must be hard to cheer on a cap floor team every year.

Hank's so good and most of our players are always so flawed that I don't know how to think about it when he does cost us a game.

I'm worried about Ryan McDonagh regressing.

Old
10-06-2012, 08:58 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Henrik Lundqvist is a better goalie than Mike Richter by a pretty wide margin.

Old
10-06-2012, 09:01 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I never liked Jaromir Jagr.
Mixed feelings for me here. I enjoyed watching him play, a lot.

On the other hand, he seemed to be missing that competitive gene at times. It showed sometimes in his play, but even more so in his unwillingness and lack of desire to take on everything that encompasses being a great leader.

Old
10-06-2012, 09:03 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonagh View Post
Yes, I agree with this one too. I was too young/didn't follow hockey in 1994 so I guess I don't have that attachment to him. The Messier I know is the washed up one you talk about.
Wow.... Just wow

Old
10-06-2012, 09:05 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightide85 View Post
Wow.... Just wow
Whats so wrong with criticizing Messier's 2nd stint? It was an embarassment from a team building perspective - a nostalgia act.

Old
10-06-2012, 10:28 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Callahan is a terribly overrated player and escapes criticism when he's in the midst of a scoring slump.
100% agree. i love what cally brings mentally and physically MOST of the time, but i think he has pretty overrated skill and people don't ride him enough when he messes up. last playoffs he was not at the level he needed to be. he let his emotions get the best of him. not what we need our captain to be doing in the playoffs.

personally i think stepan is significantly underrated--probably the most underrated player on this team imo.

i think hagelin on the 2nd line w/ a healthy roster next season makes more sense than callahan most of the time(puck chasing to compliment the number true skill forwards we have).

i think bickel is underrated defensively (he's a 6th defenseman, what do we want from him?).
i think kreider has a really really high chance of falling this season.

i think we finished where we did last season because some other teams in our conference were plagued with injury.

i think the nash trade ended up pretty even for both sides. def don't think cbj got ripped off.

Old
10-06-2012, 10:48 PM
Dactyl
LMFAO KOSTKA

lundqvist is overrated not even a top 10 goaltender

KIDDING

Old
10-06-2012, 10:54 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by blooblood View Post

KIDDING
I was actually really intrigued to hear you defend this one

Old
10-06-2012, 10:57 PM
Cresto
In the pantry

Quote:

KIDDING
Someone's been drinking too much

Old
10-06-2012, 10:57 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I don't know that we overrate Callahan so much as we just love the hell out of the guy for who he is. When we're down a goal in the 3rd nobody is screaming for Callahan to be the guy who delivers for us, he has never had that role.

A few people said he was better than Dustin Brown, that may have been stretching it but in terms of value to our team, he is a guy who scores right about 30 goals a season amongst everything else he does.

Old
10-06-2012, 10:59 PM
Cresto
In the pantry

Quote:

KIDDING
Unpopular opinion, not deluded hokum

You sly cat, just say the kidding Well done. It looks like I'm the one who's been drinking too much

Old
10-06-2012, 11:03 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post

A few people said he was better than Dustin Brown, that may have been stretching it but in terms of value to our team, he is a guy who scores right about 30 goals a season amongst everything else he does.

What Cally lacks in Brown's size, he makes up for with his defensive play. I always saw them as equals. Cally just hasn't had the playoff run that Brown did, yet.

Old
10-06-2012, 11:16 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Henrik Lundqvist is a better goalie than Mike Richter by a pretty wide margin.
This is a fact by now. Giacomin still the best though by slim margin imo. Although I have the utmost faith in Lundqvist to be known as the best goalie of this century down the road........

Last edited by Kershaw: 10-06-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old
10-06-2012, 11:39 PM
Riverdale

We were pretty bad in the playoffs.

After we got eliminated I kept thinking there was not much to look forward to next year. Hopefully Nash can help solve the incredible scoring woes...

Also, I don't like Torts all that much. I like how he tells it like it is, but some of his decisions are insane. I still can't understand his love for Boyle.

Old
10-06-2012, 11:41 PM
Dactyl
LMFAO KOSTKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdale View Post
We were pretty bad in the playoffs.

After we got eliminated I kept thinking there was not much to look forward to next year. Hopefully Nash can help solve the incredible scoring woes...

Also, I don't like Torts all that much. I like how he tells it like it is, but some of his decisions are insane. I still can't understand his love for Boyle.
game 5 of the conference semis just tied the game with 6 seconds left. start OT with a PP. who do you put out there to win the face off?

Old
10-06-2012, 11:49 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
What Cally lacks in Brown's size, he makes up for with his defensive play. I always saw them as equals. Cally just hasn't had the playoff run that Brown did, yet.
even thinking cally is overrated i think they're fairly equal. cally is better defensively. brown is better offensively.

Old
10-06-2012, 11:56 PM
bigbuffalo313

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashtyAttack View Post
I liked (and still like) Gilroy. I never liked Gretzky much (not too shocking I guess). I loved Prucha and Hossa. I actually blame Hank when he lets in a bad goal. I was one of 3 people on this planet who didn't want to trade Gaborik after the playoffs.
I'm one of the other two.

Old
10-07-2012, 02:08 AM
JDMSG

Something about that white hamburger helper/michael jackson glove that Lundqvist wears under his glove just really bothers me

Old
10-07-2012, 02:29 AM
Sticky Fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
This is what irks me most about Callahan. When you criticize him, his fanboys accuse you of not being a 'true Rangers fan'. I'm not a Callahan fan, I'm a Rangers fan.
This. I love Callahan, but when he doesn't show up and you criticize him, it's always about "the other things" he do and so on. Like the PO. he didn't elevate his game, but all focus was on Gaborik not delivering (which was later explained).

Old
10-07-2012, 02:45 AM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
mcdonagh > girardi >>> delzotto >= staal

there i said it

Old
10-07-2012, 04:07 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I think Girardi had a pretty brutal second half to the regular season, and if he didn't score points in the PO's he would've been crucified for how subpar defensively he was at times.

I really hope he can play at the elite level he did for the first half with Staal helping to ease the minutes burden.

Old
10-07-2012, 04:25 AM
Cresto
In the pantry

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
mcdonagh > girardi >>> delzotto >= staal

there i said it
This is the reason why we had the staal = underrated thread a while back

Old
10-07-2012, 05:15 AM
egelband

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Team never clearly dominated a game IMO.
Yeah. i expect the rangers to fall back to earth a bit this coming season...whenever that may be. i think the team played over-it's-head and developed more quickly than normal. next season, not this upcoming, could be their big chance.

Old
10-07-2012, 07:22 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

How is disliking Boyle an unpopular opinion? 90% of this board thinks he should never in any circumstance be playing above the 4th line.

I agree that that would be ideal, but I also really appreciate him for what he brings. He gets too much hate, much of it from unrealistic expectations after 2010-11.

10-07-2012, 12:47 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Oh, where do I begin?

- I never understood why the organization essentially dismissed Vanbeisbrouck in favor of Richter. Beezer was a couple of years older, but other than that I thought they were equally good and they could've gotten a lot more for Richter (especially if they had pulled the trigger on the trade before the expansion draft forced the trade).

- The majority of the trades leading up to the '94 championship were unnecessary and gutted what could have been a dynastic team in the 90s. Basically, Larmer and MacTavish were the only two players they acquired that I actually think they needed and the only deals where I think the Rangers came close to "winning" the deal.

- As others have said, I thought that after '94 Messier actually became more of a destructive influence than a constructive one. The trades he forced, the nasty '97 split - and then everything after his return was just a train wreck.

- Trading Leetch was the right thing to do. The timing was wrong (they should have committed to a rebuild earlier) and it should have been done in the same fashion that Boston traded Bourque (send him to a legit championship contender for one last shot at the Cup), but it was still the right move for a team that was so desperately in need of a complete overhaul.

- I always liked Hossa and feel he could have been developed into a Johan Franzen type player, but didn't get the opportunity or patience required.

- I was a huge Nik Zherdev fan and felt the organization completely bungled that situation due to a bad month and a half (which happened to include a playoff series) and a personal dislike by Torts.

- Both Roszival and Malik were good players. They are/were SOLID desfensemen. Unfortunately, they were asked to be first pairing defensemen and neither is/was.

- I was never an Avery fan. I appreciated Samuelsson and Tikkanen as agitators, because they did it in an intelligent way and in pursuit of the team's best interests. Sean on the other hand, was a self-interested, immature, undisciplined punk. He had a limited window where he was effective in his first tour, no doubt, but outside of that brief period, he got worse and worse.

- I'm not a huge fan of Torts as coach. I definitely thought Renney needed to go, but would have much preferred Laviolette as the replacement. (To be fair, I do think that Torts has mellowed and matured a bit - a la Coughlin - in the last year or so, but I also think he still has a fair way to go.)

- I liked the Lisin for Korpi trade - and would do it again. Always a good idea to trade a redundant 3rd line asset (especially when he's likely to bolt to the KHL for no compensation - people conveniently forget this fact) for a potential top 6-er, even if he's got significant bust potential.

- Grachev was poorly developed.

- I have always, always thought Dubi was overrated.

- I think Boyle is an excellent player – when played in his proper role.

- Michael Haley will be playing Brandon Prust's role within a year.

- Sather has been on balance a great GM since 2008.

- The team didn't make a single mistake this past offseason.

- I think Marek Hrivik and Kyle Jean have futures in the NHL.

- Agreed on Eminger and the Carcillo incident.

Can you tell I'm missing hockey?

Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 10-07-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Closed Thread