HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Tyler Biggs's discussion thread.

Old
10-06-2012, 12:16 PM
Interactif

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Does anyone have a link to the 10 goal projection/prediction?
I doubt any publication even THN would make a prediction like this, but clearly judging by Their TOP 75 future watch , they had low expectations for Tyler as a prospect, or to be more precise the nameless 14 to now 30 scouts or zamboni drivers they apparently use. As we know these are the same sources that had Jake Gardiner out of the top 75. The same Jake Gardiner that was an allstar rookie last year.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 12:25 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I doubt any publication even THN would make a prediction like this, but clearly judging by Their TOP 75 future watch , they had low expectations for Tyler as a prospect, or to be more precise the nameless 14 to now 30 scouts or zamboni drivers they apparently use. As we know these are the same source that had Jake Gardiner out of the top 75. The same Jake Gardiner that was an allstar rookie last year.
I keep reminding people Biggs was 5th. ranked NA skater in the mid season rankings.

He was my choice, and it was because he fell. Players can be so up and down at age 17 (Grigorenko and mono) but when the scouts have already noted their potential for over a year, you have to considerd that they do spent the time looking for their warts. So Biggs goes from 5th. at mid season to lower 20`s by the draft.

Like Grigorenko, you have to read more than the stats, things like health issues, roles asked of them. If you told D'Amigo not to worry so much about defense, wouldn't his offensive stats would look more like players who neglect the defensive zone?

I've read Biggs has taken it upon himself to look out for team mates, that he wasn't just worried about personal stats.

I suspect he should have a good CHL season, and wasn't thrilled he went NCAA in the first place. There seems to be a more strucured hierarchy in the NCAA, and unless you are one of the top talents you can get stuck in line waiting for others to finish their careers before you move up, or get the playing time.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 12:36 PM
IBeL13f

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Does anyone have a link to the 10 goal projection/prediction?
I searched 'Tyler Biggs' on their website and couldn't find any kind of prediction for him anywhere, but I don't know if that necessarily means something like that never existed somewhere.

IBeL13f is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 01:24 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

i anticipate biggs serving a 2 game suspension by mid season for reaching and surpassing the fight limit. Once you serve the suspension, does your fight totals get reset?

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 03:43 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

LOL, have you guys seen the new Hockey News?

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 03:57 PM
edruga
-

vCash: 666
Photoshop... mspaint

edruga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 09:13 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
Are you talking PPP? Those jokers have hated on Biggsy Biggs the moment he was drafted.

U think u jive ackin all crass in frunt ur freinds mockin me and my bros well joks on u yall be ignant.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 08:06 AM
kilgro
Thank you Burke!

Biggs scrap from other night

kilgro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 08:48 AM
Happy Fan
nifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgro View Post
Biggs scrap from other night
uneventful draw

Happy Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 09:14 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazedRink View Post
uneventful draw
But if you are Phil Kessel or Dion Phaneuf on the team, you really notice what Tyler did. Liking what I am seeing, that's twice he has fought this year in response for teammate.

Old
10-07-2012, 09:18 AM
IBeL13f

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazedRink View Post
uneventful draw
Really? The only thing I could see that kept that from being quite the bout was that they were both wearing visors, making them a little more timid with their throws.

IBeL13f is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 09:21 AM
Kulemon

Loving Biggs. Could be our captain in a few years.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 10:45 AM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
Loving Biggs. Could be our captain in a few years.
I wouldn't be surprised, he's got all the intangibles you want. More likely an alternate IMO.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 12:41 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Biggs plays like Wendel and has a better frame to do so. He's playing like a man possesed right now. I'm really looking forward to this kid for years to come.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 05:28 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

This kid is looking great. I hope he keeps his scoring up, if he is able to slot into the top 6 some day it would be huge for this organization.

Bernier the Boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 06:56 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
But if you are Phil Kessel or Dion Phaneuf on the team, you really notice what Tyler did. Liking what I am seeing, that's twice he has fought this year in response for teammate.
Absolutely agree. Fans might not notice but the team does. Sticking up for your teammates is contagious and Biggs seems to be taking charge in that regard.

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 09:15 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Could Leivo outscore him??

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 12:04 AM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Are you talking PPP? Those jokers have hated on Biggsy Biggs the moment he was drafted.

Yeah they really hate that pick and say how they could've had two of Jenner, Saad or Phillips. Could honestly say that about so many teams though...it's always about hindsight, draft can be a real crapshoot.

I still think Biggs will prove his worth, kid's beast.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 12:06 AM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophorus View Post
PPP recently wrote an article comparing the two. Considering Leivo had 73 pts in 66 games last year I don't see why it would surprise anyone if he did.

At the same time though, Biggs brings more physicality, intimidation and intangibles. If he can score 50-60 pts and 20+ goals it will be a successful season.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 12:14 AM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Yeah they really hate that pick and say how they could've had two of Jenner, Saad or Phillips. Could honestly say that about so many teams though...it's always about hindsight, draft can be a real crapshoot.

I still think Biggs will prove his worth, kid's beast.
Nothing wrong with a kid who can fight, that sticks up for his teammates and can pot a few goals.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 01:09 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophorus View Post
Probably. Biggs isn't in the OHL to put up superior offensive numbers. He's there to develop his physical game and get use to parking in front of the net. He's not the #1 juggernaut on the team in terms of offense either. Oshawa is a deep team and won't just rely on Oshawa to score. On the other hand, Leivo is a big part of the Wolves offense, probably the biggest. He's developed really well and he's stepped up every chance he's gotten so far for the Wolves. I had my questions about him carrying the load for the Wolves this year as the #1 guy and he's definitely solidified his spot there so far this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
PPP recently wrote an article comparing the two. Considering Leivo had 73 pts in 66 games last year I don't see why it would surprise anyone if he did.

At the same time though, Biggs brings more physicality, intimidation and intangibles. If he can score 50-60 pts and 20+ goals it will be a successful season.
Leivo had those points playing with the OHL's top scorer last season, so it's a bit tainted in that sense. But he's definitely got some skill and the Leafs brass should be very pleased with this pick. Could definitely be a gem down the road.

10-08-2012, 08:05 AM
Arathor

Quote:
PPP doesn't believe in intangibles. That's like believing in the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Ferry, or God.
I've never seen a Tooth Ferry either, so that makes me a non believer. I guess instead of cars and people it ferries teeth around? What other ingenious ideas will people come up with??? (sorry I had to, was too funny)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Oshawa is a deep team and won't just rely on Oshawa to score.
So being a deep team means they don't have to score then? Must be nice to not have to rely on your team. (sorry I had to, I knew you meant Biggs but the way you wrote sounds much better)

Arathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 09:24 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
Absolutely agree. Fans might not notice but the team does. Sticking up for your teammates is contagious and Biggs seems to be taking charge in that regard.
It makes everyone a little better, a little tighter on the team. Don't think it's a coincidence why Jenner and the Gens are a better team this year now that Biggs is an important intangible to the 1st line.

Old
10-08-2012, 09:32 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Leivo had those points playing with the OHL's top scorer last season, so it's a bit tainted in that sense. But he's definitely got some skill and the Leafs brass should be very pleased with this pick. Could definitely be a gem down the road.
If Leivo's points are tainted by playing with good players, doesn't the same hold true for Biggs this year based on who he is playing with?

Just want to be consistent here.

If Leivo is doing it again, and Connor Brown, playing with a 15 year, is tied with Leivo (and Galchenyuk) we should all be thrilled.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 10:08 AM
Interactif

Will be an interesting game against Belleville today, facing a real tough goalie in M. Subban. Low scoring affair?