HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Breaking sticks

Old
10-06-2012, 06:24 PM
Hockeydad1196

vCash: 500
Breaking sticks

Hi Everyone, new to this forum.

My kid has been playing for 10 yrs. He plays Midget 16u AAA and is 5'10" about 165 lbs. Recently since they hit the ice hard at the end of August he has broken 3 sticks. 2 of them were the Stealth RS's that were both warranty replacements and after one week of use(5 games and 2 practices) he broke his brand new CCM RBZ. All of these in practice and not game play.

I've never played the sport as a kid so my experience is raising him at a rink. I think there has to be better way here with his use of sticks? He is a typical 16 year old and has to have all the best equipment so to him if its expensive and the latest and greatest, it has to be good. He also likes the lightest stick of course.

My suggestion is to have him practice with a less expensive stick include a wood stick. My idea is not just to cut costs, but also to have him play with a heavier stick which I think would benefit him in the long run. Wouldn't a heavier stick build his muscles for shooting/passing and make it easier in game play with his lighter/expensive stick? He tells me he should practice with his game stick since that's the stick that he will play with.

My suggestions for practice sticks would include same brand, flex and curve but it would be about 100 grams heavier. I can replace these sticks at about $50-60 a piece and would reduce the chances of breaking the $250 sticks. In the end I think he would improve his shooting and stick handling.

Does anyone agree with me on this or does anyone have any comment/suggestions?

Thanks,
Chris

Hockeydad1196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 06:49 PM
AIREAYE

I disagree but I totally get where you're coming from and there will be others who share your opinion. I think that the differences even between different top-end sticks are distinct enough that it's best to understand the tendencies of them over time as opposed to compromising and adjusting your techniques with a lower end stick. A good practice stick could be an older high end model with similar characteristics that will be sold for cheaper.

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 06:59 PM
ponder

+1 for practising and playing with the same stick. Practising with one stick then playing with another can throw you off, especially if they have dramatically different weights and flex profiles.

Instead of buying a mix of top of the line and bottom of the line sticks, I'd suggest buying a bunch of slightly cheaper sticks. You can often find top of the line sticks on clearance simply because a new line has come out, even when the differences from one year to the next are very minimal in terms of performance. You can often get $250 sticks for around $150 on clearance, though it can take a bit more searching to find one with the right flex and curve. If you find a really good deal on one, stock up with a number of them.

One model down from the top can also be a good option, especially when they're on clearance. Sticks like the Bauer X50 were selling for around $90-100 for quite awhile, and it was a nice stick, not a particularly noticeable difference from a top of the line stick.

ponder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 07:48 PM
Hockeydad1196

Thanks for the input. To clarify, I don't want to buy him bottom end sticks. He loves the new CCM, I was thinking something along the lines of the same brand. The CCM has a u06 that on clearance is around $60 but the u+10 i can get on clearance for about $95. I don't think that's a bottom end stick? Still heavier than his new one.

I don't want to throw him off but that stick is about 50 grams heavier and has the same exact flex/curve.

Old
10-06-2012, 08:08 PM
Jacob8hockey*
Maple Leaf Fan

Is your son looking to get drafted to the CHL or plan on going anywhere with hockey? Forsure get him the top end sticks but maybe instead buy them in bulk online. You could get like 3 top end sticks on ebay for the price of 2, but they would be pro stock.

Pro stock is just the leftover/returned sticks from the pros. Usually they are more worn in but they are cheaper and easy to get in bulk. They never have any return policy though.

Since your son plays AAA id definetly get him the equipment he needs to fit in there.

Heres some top end sticks I found that you could look at if you guys are interested:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Easton-Stealt...item9504d8a7f3

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Reebok-RBK-11...item46085a331f

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Bauer-Total-O...item46085a3568

Jacob8hockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 08:10 PM
Jacob8hockey*
Maple Leaf Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeydad1196 View Post
Thanks for the input. To clarify, I don't want to buy him bottom end sticks. He loves the new CCM, I was thinking something along the lines of the same brand. The CCM has a u06 that on clearance is around $60 but the u+10 i can get on clearance for about $95. I don't think that's a bottom end stick? Still heavier than his new one.

I don't want to throw him off but that stick is about 50 grams heavier and has the same exact flex/curve.
Im not familiar with CCM sticks like I am with Easton and Bauer so I don't know what the top models are atm but heres another example like my last post but instead a 6 stick pack

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-6-Pack-CC...item1c28ec597f

EDIT: Searched it up and its not a top end stick and not really worth it for that price.

Jacob8hockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 08:26 PM
Hockeydad1196

Thanks Leafs, He will be playing juniors next year and we'll see where that goes. He has an offer this year but we are holding off and don't want to make the move.

He has been using the RS for the last year and loved it. He broke his last two so last week he made the switch to the new CCM and fell in love with it. Before the RS, he tried both an 11k and a Total One. Yup, broke those too! He wasn't crazy about them. I found the RS for $149 shipped free. I just don't want to throw him off by using those in practice and the CCM in games. The 6 pack on ebay are u+08 which is a lower end I believe. Price is great, but I was looking at the u+10's.

Old
10-06-2012, 09:03 PM
AIREAYE

Oh no, just because it's CCM doesn't mean they'll feel the same. The U+10 and 08 are mid and low end sticks respectively, with very different construction compared to the RBZ. For his level of play, I'd say forget the pricepoint sticks (except perhaps one step below the top).

Old
10-06-2012, 11:17 PM
uomfan123

If he is just breaking the blade, you may want to look into 2-piece sticks for him.

uomfan123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 10:56 AM
Hockeydad1196

He is snapping them in half so a 2 piece wouldn't help.

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone I get it about the higher end sticks at his level. I guess it frustrates me when he is breaking them in practice. He is a winger and doesn't take many slap shots. He broke his stick last week on a slap shot in practice. One before that was in a goalie camp he was helping out with. Goalie tripped him as he was coming in for the shot and he snapped the shaft against the post! Stupid!

It just seems to me that when he is on the ice for clinics, or in a shooting room with a goalie or doing Rapidshot, he could be using a lower end stick. When he is on ice for team practice he could practice with his game stick, but should he really be using that to practice his slap shots?

Old
10-07-2012, 11:03 AM
AIREAYE

What flex is he using?

Old
10-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Hockeydad1196

85 Flex

Old
10-07-2012, 11:24 AM
TieClark

That may be it... he's not all that tall but at 165 and at the level he's playing I'm assuming he's a strong kid. You could try going up to a 95 flex if he's snapping them in half regularly

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 11:30 AM
AIREAYE

Ignoring weight, I also think giving a higher flex a try could be a next step. Maybe not a jump to 100, but like TieClark said, something in between might work. If he retains the same performance and breaks at a lower frequency, that might be the answer.

Old
10-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
That may be it... he's not all that tall but at 165 and at the level he's playing I'm assuming he's a strong kid. You could try going up to a 95 flex if he's snapping them in half regularly
This...if it's the halfway point of the stick that seems to be breaking, a stronger body might be in order.

I would also advocate playing/practicing with the same stick, it does make a difference.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 05:00 AM
Fanned On It

It's ridiculous how fast these AAA kids break their sticks once they reach the Bantam level. I sometimes wonder if it has to do with their technique, but then I think that they're playing AAA so their technique must be sound for the most part... I just don't get how they're obliterating these 85 flex sticks right in half at 14 years old lol. I guess it's the frequency in which they're using their sticks.

Sorry... I know this post isn't any help to the OP. Just a couple of thoughts on the subject.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 07:56 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Once you reach that level, the strength, technique, and slashing tend to wear down sticks quickly.

I would look into two-piece sticks. I like Base hockey blades but haven't used their shafts. If he snaps a stick in half, you can heat and remove the blade and use it in a new shaft, which runs about $100 compared to $220 for a top end stick. They tend to be cheaper than the bigger brands with more options and similar quality.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 05:03 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Once you reach that level, the strength, technique, and slashing tend to wear down sticks quickly.

I would look into two-piece sticks. I like Base hockey blades but haven't used their shafts. If he snaps a stick in half, you can heat and remove the blade and use it in a new shaft, which runs about $100 compared to $220 for a top end stick. They tend to be cheaper than the bigger brands with more options and similar quality.
Kovalev uses Base sticks and he said they're made by the guy that used to design his Warrior sticks. Straight from the source! lol

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 05:25 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah former Warrior and Easton guys designed the sticks.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 07:25 PM
thebus2288

Maybe he'd be a little more careful with his sticks if he wasnt 100% sure that his dad will just go out n buy him a brand new top of the line stick every time he breaks one?? Especially if you say it happens mostly in practice, im sure he's being a little reckless at least. When I was younger I saw kids brake sticks on purpose in the locker room knowing their parents would buy them a new one. I'm not saying he's doing that but its easy to take things for granted at that age.

thebus2288 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 07:45 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebus2288 View Post
Maybe he'd be a little more careful with his sticks if he wasnt 100% sure that his dad will just go out n buy him a brand new top of the line stick every time he breaks one?? Especially if you say it happens mostly in practice, im sure he's being a little reckless at least. When I was younger I saw kids brake sticks on purpose in the locker room knowing their parents would buy them a new one. I'm not saying he's doing that but its easy to take things for granted at that age.
This.

Make him buy his own sticks.

Old
10-09-2012, 07:49 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebus2288 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
This.

Make him buy his own sticks.

Both of these. Or at the very least give him a budget and if he blows through it, he is SOL. Then he can decide how to allocate the funds and probably will be a lot more aware of his treatment of them if it is less than ideal.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 08:11 PM
AIREAYE

Haha I realize we are kind of telling him how to raise his kid, but that's how I was raised! I payed for all of my house league seasons and the vast majority of my equipment.

Old
10-13-2012, 10:34 AM
Hockeydad1196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
It's ridiculous how fast these AAA kids break their sticks once they reach the Bantam level. I sometimes wonder if it has to do with their technique, but then I think that they're playing AAA so their technique must be sound for the most part... I just don't get how they're obliterating these 85 flex sticks right in half at 14 years old lol. I guess it's the frequency in which they're using their sticks.

Sorry... I know this post isn't any help to the OP. Just a couple of thoughts on the subject.

When he broke his RBZ(which the warranty stick is already!) It was in practice. Coach told him his mechanics were all wrong. His blade hit the ice too early and his elbow locked so the the stick couldn't flex back to the point it was at so it broke.

Old
10-13-2012, 10:40 AM
Hockeydad1196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post

I suggested this to him. He likes the Total One and I can get him a 2 piece for about $170. If he busts the shaft I'm out about $110 bucks or so. Naturally he wants a one piece.

Would a 2 piece play like the one piece? I am willing to get it and have him see. I think this makes sense, but what the heck do I know? He plays, I just watch while I hold the pen and checkbook lol.