Winnipeg Jets 2013 Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
10-02-2012, 06:42 PM
JetsHomer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Watched some video of Pulock. Offensively, he reminds me of a Shea Weber type dman. Pretty thick too. If Jets are picking in the 7 to 10 range, with many of the high-end forwards off the table, i wonder if Chevy will lean his direction.

Chevy has said a solid team needs to start with solid dmen, but a d corps of Bogo, Enstrom, Trouba and Pulock might be too much of an embarrassment of riches - in 3 or 4 yrs.

I'm leaning more for a forward, but not sold on Barkov, yet. I'd like to see how he does at the WJC this year, playing against his peers, in his draft year.
I'm not sure if Pulock is the Jets "type". He's not the most physical D-man. Plays more of a postitional game. Sure does have a cannon for a shot though

Old
10-04-2012, 07:05 AM
hypocrite*
hypocrite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP Guy View Post
K Im now fully behind killing the season
This.

Old
10-07-2012, 10:55 AM
Bob E

Saw both Jones and Pulock on Friday.

Jones is big, good skater and likes rushing the puck. Moves the puck well, but he wasn't physical at all. Needs to fill out his considerable frame.

Pulock is a very 'heady' hockey player with a cannon shot, but isn't the most graceful skater. He seems to rely on his positional play and anticipates plays well, but isn't overly physical either.

Interesting to see where they rank them at the end of the year. Pulock, with his hockey sense and shot, will put up big points this year, likely many more than Jones, and will be a plus player. His skating stride will likely hold him back a bit, but he's Brandon's best player by a country mile.

Old
10-07-2012, 12:26 PM
Hobble

If it does happen to be a lottery, I would not be surprised if Phoenix gets the 1st overall pick.

I just find it too coincidental that Pittsburgh ends up with Crosby just as their franchise is bleeding money and thinking about relocating.

Old
10-07-2012, 12:30 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobble View Post
If it does happen to be a lottery, I would not be surprised if Phoenix gets the 1st overall pick.

I just find it too coincidental that Pittsburgh ends up with Crosby just as their franchise is bleeding money and thinking about relocating.
Edmonton has been thinking of relocating....
Maybe they need a first overall pick

Old
10-07-2012, 01:59 PM
JetsHomer

I really doubt a multi billion dollar industry Is going to risk the pr nightmare that fixing the lottery would cause. They'll do it legit

Old
10-07-2012, 02:28 PM
jetkarma

Quote:
Saw both Jones and Pulock on Friday.

Jones is big, good skater and likes rushing the puck. Moves the puck well, but he wasn't physical at all. Needs to fill out his considerable frame.

Pulock is a very 'heady' hockey player with a cannon shot, but isn't the most graceful skater. He seems to rely on his positional play and anticipates plays well, but isn't overly physical either.

Interesting to see where they rank them at the end of the year. Pulock, with his hockey sense and shot, will put up big points this year, likely many more than Jones, and will be a plus player. His skating stride will likely hold him back a bit, but he's Brandon's best player by a country mile.

Do you think Roy may interest the Jets in the second round area?

Old
10-07-2012, 10:58 PM
puck stoppa

Pulock's stock is rising but I still see Jones ahead of him at the draft as those type of Dmen are highly sought after. But this kid can play and he will turn a lot of heads this year and that's great to see for the kid from Grandview!

Old
10-07-2012, 11:04 PM
SCP Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Edmonton has been thinking of relocating....
Maybe they need a first overall pick
I see what you did there

Old
10-08-2012, 09:06 PM
Daddy Longlegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobble View Post

I too have great suspicions about the 2005 draft. To much of a coincidence. Bettman even looked guilty to me when he opened up the penguins first overall pick oversized envelope.

Old
10-08-2012, 09:35 PM
JetsHomer

Did they televise the whole ball picking process last time?

Old
10-09-2012, 12:19 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
nope

Old
10-09-2012, 06:41 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
Do you think Roy may interest the Jets in the second round area?
Perhaps. He has nice size and may fill out to 210 ish. The kid can play too.

Old
10-10-2012, 01:10 AM
Tintin's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
I believe you need the Hustler channel for that.

Old
10-10-2012, 06:11 AM
ps241
2.6% chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin's Ghost View Post
I believe you need the Hustler channel for that.

Why is it that I am getting old but can still laugh out loud at juvenile humor. I guess age has nothing to do with maturity or at least in my case I suppose.

Old
10-10-2012, 06:31 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Glass Half Full

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post

Why is it that I am getting old but can still laugh out loud at juvenile humor. I guess age has nothing to do with maturity or at least in my case I suppose.
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Old
10-10-2012, 11:23 AM
Daddy Longlegs

Just looked at Seth Jones' stats thus far in the dub. Fairly shaky start. After 7 games he has 2 assists and is a minus player. If this continues he will plummet in the draft rankings.

Doesn't really matter tho. I'm sure the oilers will take them with their pick no matter how he does this year.

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 10-10-2012 at 12:43 PM. Reason: offensive/not neccessary
Old
10-10-2012, 06:21 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Longlegs View Post
Just looked at Seth Jones' stats thus far in the dub. Fairly shaky start. After 7 games he has 2 assists and is a minus player. If this continues he will plummet in the draft rankings.

Doesn't really matter tho. I'm sure the oilers will take them with their pick no matter how he does this year.
He'll get his points. Just finding his way. I'd like for him to show some more physical play, though.

Old
10-10-2012, 06:38 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Longlegs View Post

Boxcar stats don't mean as much in junior... there's a lot that's missing:
Shooting%
Competition levels
TOI
Usage
Line-mates
etc.

Heck our own Kosmachuk had one less goal then Yakupov, yet scouts found a distinct difference in talent levels (I still love Kosma!).
Plus sample size is too small right now.

Old
10-10-2012, 09:40 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Thought this should be in this thread and not just the lockout thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Ok so this was more annoying than it should of been... So here is the probability of the Jets (or any other 3 ball team) to get a particular pick:

"Best case scenario" is what the odds would be if all the teams with 3 balls (other than the Jets) got their picks first, then two balls, and then on balls. This tips the probability of an early pick.
"Worst case scenario" is what the odds would be if all the teams with 1 ball got their picks first, then the two balls, then the three balls. This tips the probability of a later pick.

So how you read it is the probability will be anywhere in between best and worst case scenario (no you can't just take the average):

PickBestWorst
Top Pick 6.00 6.00
Top 2 Picks 12.00 11.76
Top 3 Picks 18.00 17.27
Top 5 Picks 30.00 27.60
Top 10 Picks 58.77 49.59
Top 20 Picks 93.99 79.51
Between 10-20 35.22 29.92
Between 20-30 6.01 20.49
Last pick 0.03 1.99

TEAMS WITH THREE BALLS (7)
Calgary, Carolina, Columbus, Dallas, Minnesota, Toronto, Winnipeg

TEAMS WITH TWO BALLS (6)
Anaheim, Colorado, Florida, New York (I), St. Louis, Tampa Bay

TEAMS WITH ONE BALL (17)
Boston, Buffalo, Chicago, Detroit, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Montreal, Nashville, New Jersey, New York (R), Ottawa, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, San Jose, Vancouver, Washington

Old
10-15-2012, 12:38 AM
JetsHomer

Good that Chicago only has one ball. Last time it was a snake lottery so if they picked 30th we would get the 31st pick with their second rounder.

Old
10-17-2012, 01:34 PM
jetkarma

Craig Button's first draft ranking , a lot of quality through the first half the first round imo.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

Old
10-17-2012, 07:51 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Craig Button is an idiot. This is not so terrible (maybe he is not feeling the pressure make RANDOM changes just for the sake of change due to lockout) but I trust Kyle freaking Woodlief more than this guy, and that's saying something (Woodlief and Redline are damn near as bad as Button, bunch of morons). Both make random changes to get headlines. Look at how high/low I rank this player! Yay sales/hits on internet. They are the Gary Lawless of the scouting community.

EDIT: For clarity, it's not because he disagrees with me. Most scouting services do. It's the fact he places players waaay waaay too high or low simply for hits, picking favourites at random every year then emphasizing them regardless of play.

As more and more of the scouting community is seeing MacKinnon gain on Jones, he goes and rank Jones ahead. Watch him have MacKinnon fall throughout the year as well, just for hits.

IMO, Jones is slipping to 3 right now, I have been a Barkov fan dating back to last year, and he is playing absolutely great for Tappara right now.

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 10-17-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old
10-17-2012, 09:03 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Craig Button is an idiot. This is not so terrible (maybe he is not feeling the pressure make RANDOM changes just for the sake of change due to lockout) but I trust Kyle freaking Woodlief more than this guy, and that's saying something (Woodlief and Redline are damn near as bad as Button, bunch of morons). Both make random changes to get headlines. Look at how high/low I rank this player! Yay sales/hits on internet. They are the Gary Lawless of the scouting community.

As more and more of the scouting community is seeing MacKinnon gain on Jones, he goes and rank Jones ahead. Watch him have MacKinnon fall throughout the year as well, just for hits.

IMO, Jones is slipping to 3 right now, I have been a Barkov fan dating back to last year, and he is playing absolutely great for Tappara right now.

Agree 100%.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:06 AM
Daddy Longlegs

Quote:

Agree 100%.
Same here. I take a tablespoon of salt with anything I read from Button.

Closed Thread