HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Russia
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

2013 WJC Russian Roster

Old
08-28-2012, 05:02 AM
helicecopter

vCash: 500
When is the 4 nations tournament going to be played?

Nice to see '94 born like Yakimov and Filippov getting a chance btw, both have potential, and the first especially has good chances to be there at the WJC.

Is the Arseniy Hatsey spelling correct? can't remember/find that guy.

For forwards, i think Kosov, Prokhorkin, Slepyshev, Sigarev and probably Shalunov should be lock for the WJC, lots to be rigured out after that, even though Grigo might become available.

Others relevant not part of the 4 nations that i'm forgetting about?

helicecopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 06:06 AM
helicecopter

well i guess this new thread http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...9#post53913429 answers my first question

Old
08-28-2012, 07:29 AM
kiluj

Interesting, Varnakov said: "There are no players of Kuznetsov/Tarasenko level in the team."

kiluj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 09:26 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiluj View Post
Interesting, Varnakov said: "There are no players of Kuznetsov/Tarasenko level in the team."
On the surface, he seems right. The superstar type seems to run in cycles, and may skip 2 or 3 years. There is a lot of talent available at forward, however. It seems to be a down cycle for good defensemen.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 11:00 AM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
On the surface, he seems right. The superstar type seems to run in cycles, and may skip 2 or 3 years. There is a lot of talent available at forward, however. It seems to be a down cycle for good defensemen.
when was a good cycle on d-men?

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 01:24 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
when was a good cycle on d-men?
Very rare for sure. I thought the group at the 2011 WJC was pretty solid (Orlov, Berdyukov, Zaitsev, Pivtsakin, Berezin, etc.,), but the year before, they were miserable, so I see your point. Is there any indication that Tretyak or anyone else in a position to address this sees it as a problem, and is making some effort to correct it? It would seem to be a problem that could be fixed, or at least improved upon.

Old
08-28-2012, 02:48 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Very rare for sure. I thought the group at the 2011 WJC was pretty solid (Orlov, Berdyukov, Zaitsev, Pivtsakin, Berezin, etc.,), but the year before, they were miserable, so I see your point. Is there any indication that Tretyak or anyone else in a position to address this sees it as a problem, and is making some effort to correct it? It would seem to be a problem that could be fixed, or at least improved upon.
Last good Defensive group for me were 2009- Voynov, Goncharov, Kulikov, there were a few more.

As for Offensive, we're in a low, but no nearly as bad as like the one in 2007, 2008s (Cherepanov RIP somewhat carried the team and wasn't like Malkin and Ovi).

If the lockout goes through, having Yakupov, Grigs and Kucherov should provide enough High end talent, mixed with a VERY good level of secondary scoring from Slepyshev, Sigarev, Kapustin, Khokhlachev- it's going to be a good team. Sprinkled with some (hopefully and potentially) Young Elite talent from Buchnevich and Nichushkin, some toughnes and grit from Kadeikin, Shalunov, Kosov, Prokhorkin. Excellent goaltending this year, shaping up to be perhaps the most balanced Russian U20 team yet.

I'm think that our current D is well sized, and that Nikitin and Varnakov are working hard to improve Team and even Individual Defense. Guys like Nesterov and Sergeyev are very competent. Naumenkov is experienced and can hold his own as well. I'm sure we can find someone stable enough amongst the other candidates.

There are a lot of positives to take away from this team at this point.

Last edited by Fulcrum: 08-28-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 03:35 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
Last good Defensive group for me were 2009- Voynov, Goncharov, Kulikov, there were a few more.

As for Offensive, we're in a low, but no nearly as bad as like the one in 2007, 2008s (Cherepanov RIP somewhat carried the team and wasn't like Malkin and Ovi).

If the lockout goes through, having Yakupov, Grigs and Kucherov should provide enough High end talent, mixed with a VERY good level of secondary scoring from Slepyshev, Sigarev, Kapustin- it's going to be a good team. Sprinkled with some (hopefully and potentially) Young Elite talent from Buchnevich and Nichushkin, some toughnes and grit from Kadeikin, Shalunov, Kosov, Prokhorkin. Excellent goaltending this year, shaping up to be perhaps the most balanced Russian U20 team yet.

I'm think that our current D is well sized, and that Nikitin and Varnakov are working hard to improve Team and even Individual Defense. Guys like Nesterov and Sergeyev are very competent. Naumenkov is experienced and can hold his own as well. I'm sure we can find someone stable enough amongst the other candidates.

Certainly Zadorov would be an upgrade to some of the 6th and 7th defenceman they used in the super series no? Even over Pedan.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 05:19 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Certainly Zadorov would be an upgrade to some of the 6th and 7th defenceman they used in the super series no? Even over Pedan.
Perhaps, upgrade talent-wise but not necessirily stability that D needs to bring. We'll have to see how he does in OHL and during the SSS. Age and experience would make a difference at this level, despite his talent. So chances are against him.

Old
08-29-2012, 10:59 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:

If the lockout goes through, having Yakupov, Grigs and Kucherov should provide enough High end talent, mixed with a VERY good level of secondary scoring from Slepyshev, Sigarev, Kapustin, Khokhlachev- it's going to be a good team. Sprinkled with some (hopefully and potentially) Young Elite talent from Buchnevich and Nichushkin, some toughnes and grit from Kadeikin, Shalunov, Kosov, Prokhorkin. Excellent goaltending this year, shaping up to be perhaps the most balanced Russian U20 team yet.

I like Nesterov and Sergeev, but feel as though the rest are very average and represent somewhat of a liability. Nesterov has genuine talent, and he is the only defenseman who seems to be a really good skater. Sergeev is solid and reliable, but like the rest of the defense corps, seems slow on his feet. The biggest problem of the defense, which, IMHO, drags down the entire team, is inability to control other teams who cycle down low in the Russian zone. The other team has the puck most of the game near the Russian net, so the Russian forwards don't have a chance to put pressure on the other net.

In my opinion, lack of skating speed is one of the main problems with this group. It takes them too long to get to the puck, when it is dumped in the zone, and they don't have time to skate it out or pass it out before a forechecker is all over them. Russian defensemen seem to be coached to ring the puck around the boards when they get possession. The good news is that the least dangerous areas are along the boards. The bad news is the other teams have figured out Russia's predictably, and now station a forward down low along the boards, and a defenseman up a little higher. This allows them to keep the puck trapped in the Russian zone, and keep our defensemen and forwards back on their heels.

At the senior level, national team defensemen can all skate, so they get to the puck quickly and get it under control, and can usually skate it to a place where it can be safely dumped out. Forwards get positioned along the boards to take passes. But at the junior level, this group seems challenged to get to the puck and get it out of the zone.

Old
08-29-2012, 11:09 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:

I forgot to say that I completely agree with your assessment of the forwards. There are a lot of big and talented forwards who could really emerge in the WJC. I love the way guys like Sigarev, Kapustin and Tkachev played in the Super Series, and little or nothing was expected of them prior to the series. The young talents like Buchnevich and Nichulskin are stars of the future. I'd like to see the defense make some strides between now and then, but you are right in saying that prospects are bright.

Old
08-29-2012, 11:42 AM
MaxV

Quote:
I like Nesterov and Sergeev, but feel as though the rest are very average and represent somewhat of a liability. Nesterov has genuine talent, and he is the only defenseman who seems to be a really good skater. Sergeev is solid and reliable, but like the rest of the defense corps, seems slow on his feet. The biggest problem of the defense, which, IMHO, drags down the entire team, is inability to control other teams who cycle down low in the Russian zone. The other team has the puck most of the game near the Russian net, so the Russian forwards don't have a chance to put pressure on the other net.

In my opinion, lack of skating speed is one of the main problems with this group. It takes them too long to get to the puck, when it is dumped in the zone, and they don't have time to skate it out or pass it out before a forechecker is all over them. Russian defensemen seem to be coached to ring the puck around the boards when they get possession. The good news is that the least dangerous areas are along the boards. The bad news is the other teams have figured out Russia's predictably, and now station a forward down low along the boards, and a defenseman up a little higher. This allows them to keep the puck trapped in the Russian zone, and keep our defensemen and forwards back on their heels.

At the senior level, national team defensemen can all skate, so they get to the puck quickly and get it under control, and can usually skate it to a place where it can be safely dumped out. Forwards get positioned along the boards to take passes. But at the junior level, this group seems challenged to get to the puck and get it out of the zone.
Yeah, last year's WJC final nightmare is still fresh in my mind.

MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 01:47 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
That was inability mulitplied by fatigue. Proves Yakushev's point about skating ability, especially when the Defense is fatigued. It can be scary at times.

As usual, the hope will be on our forwards to compensate for the lack of high-end defense. Although they will still require good overall team defense to win. One that the coaching staff was brought in to implement, let's hope it works out.

Old
08-29-2012, 02:06 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
Mine, too. And not just the final game, but the last four games. The goalies had to make over 50 saves against Sweden twice, and against Canada once. Even the Czechs forced Vasilevskiy to make 48 saves. Anytime the puck is bouncing around the goal, it can go in!

Old
08-29-2012, 02:12 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
That was inability mulitplied by fatigue. Proves Yakushev's point about skating ability, especially when the Defense is fatigued. It can be scary at times.

As usual, the hope will be on our forwards to compensate for the lack of high-end defense. Although they will still require good overall team defense to win. One that the coaching staff was brought in to implement, let's hope it works out.
Hopefully, if Varnakov can consult with Bilyaletdinov, they can work out some strategies to get the defense fixed. It certainly worked with the national team.

Old
09-19-2012, 12:56 PM
Helpoing
21st c schizoid man

So many candidates are playing with the adults this season: Khokhlachyov, Slepyshev, Yakupov, Buchnevich in KHL; Sigarev, Kapustin, Nichushkin in VHL. And then a new face: Zhafyarov ('94), who plays on the same line with Slepyshev.

Kosov's future isn't so bright right now.

Helpoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 02:35 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpoing View Post
So many candidates are playing with the adults this season: Khokhlachyov, Slepyshev, Yakupov, Buchnevich in KHL; Sigarev, Kapustin, Nichushkin in VHL. And then a new face: Zhafyarov ('94), who plays on the same line with Slepyshev.

Kosov's future isn't so bright right now.
Also Mozer from Avangard, I think. Shenfeld from Metallurg too.

Old
09-20-2012, 10:38 AM
Helpoing
21st c schizoid man

Kosov scored to prove me wrong

Quote:
Also Mozer from Avangard, I think. Shenfeld from Metallurg too.
Indeed. Though it's a bit troubling that almost all d-men play junior.

Helpoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 07:32 PM
KareemTrustfund
The real DuckJet

So with how well Makarov has played for Russia in his last few international games (Canada-Russa, Gold medal game, etc), does he have the inside track as number 1?

KareemTrustfund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 08:44 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Dover View Post
So with how well Makarov has played for Russia in his last few international games (Canada-Russa, Gold medal game, etc), does he have the inside track as number 1?
I would say so, also considering he's '93 gives him an advantage. But a lot could change between now and WJC. We'll see how they do in SSS.

Him and Vasilevski are the strongest Duo that Russia has ever had in WJC, I think. Ever! It could all backfire, cuz its hockey- but still.

Old
10-06-2012, 08:59 AM
Fulcrum

Some observations for upcoming WJC:

The Good:
-Yakupov and Grigs on hot streak
-Zhafyarov kid making a real case for himself in Novokuznetsk
-Mironov ('94 D) getting serious minutes in KHL, AND looking good
-Nichushkin (Leading goal scorer on his team) and Shalunov doing really good in VHL
-Sigarev among LEAGUE leaders in VHL
-Vasilevski off to a good start

Not so good:
-Kosov production is low, expect better considering teammates and ice-time, shaping into a low scoring, power forward
-Shmelyov production is low for MHL and high expectations
-Buchnevich production isn't there yet, but its OK
-Mozer, good minutes in KHL but bad stats

The Ugly
-Prokhorkin has fallen off the face of the earth
-Khokhlachev looks like a 16 year old in KHL, disappointing
-Slepyshev out with a serious injury, questionable shape for WJC
-Kadeikin and Kucherov out with injuries

Old
10-06-2012, 12:01 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

vCash: 50
Kucherov will come back at the end of October.

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 12:41 PM
helicecopter

Quote:
Some observations for upcoming WJC:

The Good:
-Yakupov and Grigs on hot streak
-Zhafyarov kid making a real case for himself in Novokuznetsk
-Mironov ('94 D) getting serious minutes in KHL, AND looking good
-Nichushkin (Leading goal scorer on his team) and Shalunov doing really good in VHL
-Sigarev among LEAGUE leaders in VHL
-Vasilevski off to a good start

Not so good:
-Kosov production is low, expect better considering teammates and ice-time, shaping into a low scoring, power forward
-Shmelyov production is low for MHL and high expectations
-Buchnevich production isn't there yet, but its OK
-Mozer, good minutes in KHL but bad stats

The Ugly
-Prokhorkin has fallen off the face of the earth
-Khokhlachev looks like a 16 year old in KHL, disappointing
-Slepyshev out with a serious injury, questionable shape for WJC
-Kadeikin and Kucherov out with injuries
Zhafyarov, for what i've seen, really needs to be on the team unless his level of play drops dramatically in the next 2 months.

Kosov doesn't look like a good finisher, but his role, icetime and linemates i think are actually the main reasons for his lack of production. He has looked really good the few times i've seen him this season, and seems to have a very legit chance to develop into a NHL 3rd liner.

Buchnevich.. is he playing at all? apparently not playing in KHL anymore, nor in MHL right now.

Prokhorkin i guess is simply training to start the AHL season with LA's farm team, no?

Supposing no player will be lost to NHL/AHL, and the currently injured guys come back in time (that should be the case as far as i know, correct me if i'm wrong), this would be my try right now:

Kucherov - Grigorenko - Yakupov
Sigarev - Buchnevich - Prokhorkin
Kosov - Zhafyarov - Slepyshev
Shalunov - Khokhlachev - Nichushkin
extras: Schoenfeld, Yakimov, Kapustin

Nesterov - Sergeev
Mironov - Naumenkov
Zadorov - Yarullin
extras: Pedan, ?

Vasilevski
Makarov

looks like: good depth at forward, very solid tandem in net, questionable/thin defense.

Old
10-07-2012, 01:21 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicecopter View Post

Buchnevich.. is he playing at all? apparently not playing in KHL anymore, nor in MHL right now.

Kucherov - Grigorenko - Yakupov
Sigarev - Buchnevich - Prokhorkin
Kosov - Zhafyarov - Slepyshev
Shalunov - Khokhlachev - Nichushkin
extras: Schoenfeld, Yakimov, Kapustin

Nesterov - Sergeev
Mironov - Naumenkov
Zadorov - Yarullin
extras: Pedan, ?

Vasilevski
Makarov

looks like: good depth at forward, very solid tandem in net, questionable/thin defense.
Something to keep in mind when making your roster
-Kucherov, Zhafyarov, Shalunov and Buchnevich are RW
-Sigarev is a C, from what I remember

The thing to consider is the age. Buchnevich, Nichushkin and Zhafyarov might be good, but Kapustin, Kadeikin, Shenfeld might be better choices, they would be more effective for U20. Like the '91 year didn't take the talented Yakupov. Also can't forget Zlobin (1st line in SS).

Should they go with Talented 16-17 yr olds, or more experienced and solid, but slightly less talented 19yr olds? Tricky question

My choice of roster is from games already played (SS) not just on paper, and I'll explain:

Slepyshev-Sigarev-Yakupov
-Sigarev is a solid Forward, among league leaders in VHL (vs Adults is more impressive than Grigorenko), he aslo looked REALLY good in SS
-We saw there is no chemistry at all between Yakupov and Grigorenko in the SS
-Slepyshev is the best LW on the team, give him 1st line
Kosov-Grigorenko-Kucherov
-Important to keep Grigs and Kuch - on the RW, since they'll be playing like that in Quebec + ex. Red Army
-Kosov deserves 2nd line with his experience and help around the boards
Zhafyarov-Khokhlachev-Kapustin
-Move Zhafyarov to LW, someone has to do it, due to wealth of RWingers
-Kapustin looking good in VHL + he was a nice surprise in SS
-Koko - I am not sure about him, but his KHL exp. is very important for the team
Nichushkin-Prokhorkin-Shalunov
-Nichushkin + Shalunov already play together
-Prokhorkin as a stabilizer on that line

I would rather take Kapustin over Buchnevich, because I think he would do better vs 19 year olds + as you said, Buchnevich's not getting much hockey right now.

It'll be fun to see what happens.

Old
10-08-2012, 09:36 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
Something to keep in mind when making your roster
-Kucherov, Zhafyarov, Shalunov and Buchnevich are RW
-Sigarev is a C, from what I remember
sorry i put the line together but was not paying attention at writing the guys in the right order (at the proper positions).
Slepyshev definitely needs to be on the left side.
Buchnevich didn't look to me like someone who strictly needs to be on the RW.
For that matter, Kosov should be on the right as well.

This should be better as for positioning:

Slepyshev - Grigorenko - Kucherov
Buchnevich - Sigarev - Yakupov
Zhafyarov - Prokhorkin - Kosov
Nichushkin - Khokhlachev - Shalunov

I'd like to have someone else who is a natural finisher with Grigo, besides being responsible 2 way. Slepyshev fits nicely the description, my qualm was i doubt he will be in full shape/confidence by the end of December coming off that type of injury. So this might be some sort of wishful thinking combination.

Quote:
The thing to consider is the age. Buchnevich, Nichushkin and Zhafyarov might be good, but Kapustin, Kadeikin, Shenfeld might be better choices, they would be more effective for U20. Like the '91 year didn't take the talented Yakupov. Also can't forget Zlobin (1st line in SS).
eheh, looking at your proposed lineup it's not like you went by age much more than i did

I'm not a fan of Zlobin tbh, he did better in the second half of the recent Canada-Russia series, but i think there are better options on the big ice rink at least.
Obviously, everything need to be re-evaluated on how these guys play along the next 2 months. And obviously Buchnevich needs to play in the first place, if he won't i would scratch him from my lineup.. but until then i'll hope for the ideal options to be available and materialize