HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

American Prospect Update Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
10-07-2012, 12:38 PM
William H Bonney

vCash: 500
NCAA ruled Nic Kerdiles - a very good student - ineligible. Wisconsin is trying to find a solution but no word yet on why the NCAA won't clear him. Would be a huge loss for Wisconsin if this ends up driving him to the WHL.

Last edited by William H Bonney: 10-07-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old
10-07-2012, 12:50 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
NCAA ruled Nic Kerdiles - a very good student - ineligible. Wisconsin is trying to find a solution but no word yet on why the NCAA won't clear him. Would be a huge loss for Wisconsin if this ends ip driving him to the WHL.
Does he have his pick of which team he goes to in the Western League or does someone own his rights?

Old
10-07-2012, 12:55 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
NCAA ruled Nic Kerdiles - a very good student - ineligible. Wisconsin is trying to find a solution but no word yet on why the NCAA won't clear him. Would be a huge loss for Wisconsin if this ends ip driving him to the WHL.
Well that sadly explains why he couldn't play the other night.

Old
10-07-2012, 12:58 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Does he have his pick of which team he goes to in the Western League or does someone own his rights?
Kelowna took him in the bantam draft in the eighth round back in '09, I imagine they've held onto his rights.

Old
10-07-2012, 03:28 PM
William H Bonney

According to Chris Peters, the issue with Kerdiles is that he apparently had an autograph giveaway contest on Twitter for his new followers.

The NCAA is insane.

10-07-2012, 03:34 PM
sbtatter

Quote:
According to Chris Peters, the issue with Kerdiles is that he apparently had an autograph giveaway contest on Twitter for his new followers.

The NCAA is insane.
Wow, that is strict....

Old
10-07-2012, 03:37 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:

The NCAA is insane.
As an SC fan, my hatred for the NCAA burns brighter than a thousand suns.

Is there any waiting period for him to go to Kelowna? I assume a contract has to be worked out.

Old
10-07-2012, 03:54 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
As an SC fan, my hatred for the NCAA burns brighter than a thousand suns.

Is there any waiting period for him to go to Kelowna? I assume a contract has to be worked out.
I'm an SC fan as well. The corrupt nature of the NCAA is almost so off-putting as to swear off college football.

There shouldn't be. I'd imagine if he wanted to go to Kelowna it would be done pretty quickly. However, and hopefully some WHL followers can chime in with better insight, but I don't think Kelowna is supposed to be a contender this year (not sure about next) so it's possible they could (maybe already?) start dangling Kerdiles as trade bait for a contender.

I still think Kerdiles wants to be a Badger as he's been committed to them since he was 15, has never wavered, and always spoke glowingly about his opportunity to play hockey there. However, if the NCAA makes him sit out the year, he'd be crazy not to go to the WHL. He's not ready for the AHL (especially in a loaded AHL) and he'd obviously be better served from playing in the WHL versus going back to the USHL.

Old
10-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:

The NCAA is insane.
I want to crush something.

Old
10-07-2012, 05:57 PM
Slowe

Quote:

The NCAA is insane.

According to Andy Johnson on Bucky's Fifth Quarter blog, the focus is more on some photos he posted. I wonder if we'll ever know for sure.

Quote:
The other issue is more serious, and revolves around pictures that appeared on facebook. According to Peters, the photos may have triggered scrutiny around a potential amateurism violation.

UPDATE: I'm told that the autographs on twitter are not the issue, that it all stems from the photos. Also, I'm told that the photos were posted on twitter, not facebook.

Multiple sources have confirmed that Kerdiles' relationship with advisors from Pulver Sports has been called into question.

Old
10-07-2012, 06:12 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowe View Post
According to Andy Johnson on Bucky's Fifth Quarter blog, the focus is more on some photos he posted. I wonder if we'll ever know for sure.
That at least makes more sense as I do remember Kerdiles was doing a lot at the draft with Galchenyuk and Yakupov and it was all Pulver Sports related. Hopefully whatever the NCAA does, they make their decision soon (although I wouldn't be surprised if they drag it out) that way Kerdiles can make the most informed decision for his future.

Old
10-07-2012, 06:39 PM
William H Bonney

Was able to catch the 3rd period/OT/SO between the U18 team and Notre Dame today. Notre Dame won 2-1 in the shootout but Thatcher Demko looked pretty good in net for Team USA. From what I saw, it was a really even game. Mike McCarron seems like he's developed some more skill compared to the minimal action I saw last year. He's still really raw but he has some decent long term potential. I've seen it here before but Jimmy Hayes is a very good comparable. Hudson Fasching isn't the elite prospect he was hyped to be about 2 years ago (seems to happen a lot with Minnesota kids) but he's still a very good prospect. He reminds me a lot of a Mike Knuble or Scott Hartnell type player. No surprise but TJ Tynan looked very good for Notre Dame.

Old
10-07-2012, 07:02 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
If he's taking money or signing with agents etc then I can understand it at least.

Old
10-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Was able to catch the 3rd period/OT/SO between the U18 team and Notre Dame today. Notre Dame won 2-1 in the shootout but Thatcher Demko looked pretty good in net for Team USA. From what I saw, it was a really even game. Mike McCarron seems like he's developed some more skill compared to the minimal action I saw last year. He's still really raw but he has some decent long term potential. I've seen it here before but Jimmy Hayes is a very good comparable. Hudson Fasching isn't the elite prospect he was hyped to be about 2 years ago (seems to happen a lot with Minnesota kids) but he's still a very good prospect. He reminds me a lot of a Mike Knuble or Scott Hartnell type player. No surprise but TJ Tynan looked very good for Notre Dame.
Fasching looked fairly disinterested in wisconsin the other day. He looks to me like a NHL grinder. Big, fast, but limited skill

Old
10-08-2012, 12:50 PM
William H Bonney

Apparently the NCAA has decided that Kerdiles must sit out the year. Wisconsin is appealing but I highly doubt that's successful. Hopefully Nic heads to the WHL.

Old
10-08-2012, 01:07 PM
Xokkeu

He will have to go to WHL. There's no other choice. I mean I guess the USHL but that's not really a choice.

The NCAA is such a joke.

Last edited by Xokkeu: 10-08-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old
10-08-2012, 01:12 PM
Ashasx

Absolutely insane.

Old
10-08-2012, 01:53 PM
DuckJet
Mr. Sexy on Skates

vCash: 831
Jesus it's not like the kid got caught cheating or smoking weed or anything. The part that gets me though, is that the suspension must be served in institution, so if he wants to be a Badger and stay in school, he can't leave even for just one year. This is obviously with the intent to keep the players in the NCAA system. Well they aren't going to accomplish that with these kind of rulings. If Kerdiles was a QB on a football team this wouldn't even be an issue.

Old
10-08-2012, 01:54 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Apparently the NCAA has decided that Kerdiles must sit out the year. Wisconsin is appealing but I highly doubt that's successful. Hopefully Nic heads to the WHL.
Here's hoping the NCAA doesn't drag out the appeals process. What a **** show.

Old
10-08-2012, 02:04 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Jesus it's not like the kid got caught cheating or smoking weed or anything. The part that gets me though, is that the suspension must be served in institution, so if he wants to be a Badger and stay in school, he can't leave even for just one year. This is obviously with the intent to keep the players in the NCAA system. Well they aren't going to accomplish that with these kind of rulings. If Kerdiles was a QB on a football team this wouldn't even be an issue.
It wouldn't be an issue because football players have almost no option. The CFL is the only alternative. Here Kerdiles can walk out tonight and be playing in the CHL tomorrow.

He's basically gone. No way he sticks around for months on end to wait to hear out a ridiculous ruling by the NCAA. Doubt they have any reason to appeal it either. It's just the NCAA's idiotic rules.

They basically said with this ruling, you're probably better off going to Canada.

Here is what it looks like he got busted for.....

http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2012...ic-kerdiles-by

Last edited by Xokkeu: 10-08-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old
10-08-2012, 02:24 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
How did Tyler Motte look? I've been a big fan of his since watching him in Minor Midget with Detriot Honeybaked. Thank you.

Old
10-08-2012, 03:21 PM
Slowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Here is what it looks like he got busted for.....

http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2012...ic-kerdiles-by
Ok, so more and more comes out. Apparently Kerdiles was in photos promoting a sports supplement. If you follow the links, you'll see it's clearly some cell phone pic taken and tweeted by his agent, not some complicated photo shoot with a high priced endorsement deal. At least not what we have info on yet.

I can't decide what makes this dumber. The NCAA is banning him for a year for a cell phone pic that he probably didn't think twice about. On the other hand, what dumb @$$ agent posts ONLINE a picture of his NCAA bound athlete in an ad promoting products? While I don't claim to know all the NCAA's convoluted rules, I'd expect a high priced agent to know this one was an obvious no no. I'm sure someone's getting fired real quick.

I said it earlier, but this'll be interesting to watch.

Old
10-08-2012, 04:10 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

NCAA has some stupid rules, they make so much money off of college athletes...iwhatever I want him on Kelowna anyways

Old
10-08-2012, 04:14 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
On the other hand, what dumb @$$ agent posts ONLINE a picture of his NCAA bound athlete in an ad promoting products? While I don't claim to know all the NCAA's convoluted rules, I'd expect a high priced agent to know this one was an obvious no no. I'm sure someone's getting fired real quick.
Perhaps an agent that wants the young man to play Major Junior instead of D1? The conspiracy theorist in me says that could be a plan hatched to get Kerdiles out of Wisconsin and into the WHL, all the while making Kerdiles look like the poor naive victim. I look forward to the made-for-television movie.

Old
10-08-2012, 04:20 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
Perhaps an agent that wants the young man to play Major Junior instead of D1? The conspiracy theorist in me says that could be a plan hatched to get Kerdiles out of Wisconsin and into the WHL, all the while making Kerdiles look like the poor naive victim. I look forward to the made-for-television movie.
You're not the only one to think that.

BTW, on behalf of the Ducks board, thanks to everyone for providing all the updates.

Closed Thread