HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Trades that are not as lopsided as some people may think or believe

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-03-2012, 09:21 PM
  #76
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,584
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
Well, the Kessel trade turned out to be quite lopsided because of one of the firsts turning into Seguin. But still, the Leafs weren't very competitive at the time and the outcome was a probable one. Kessel is the kind of guy he should've gone for to complete a team, not to be the core piece (like Jeff Carter)

If you look it in isolation it was an okay deal but given the context it really was an awful move.
I disagree. If Seguin ends up better than Kessel (he's simply not better right now) and/or Hamilton ends up a #3 or better, I'll consider it lopsided. If Seguin doesn't progress and Hamilton busts (all hypothetical), then TO cleaned up. To this day, it is not yet lopsided

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 09:49 PM
  #77
bb_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: boston
Posts: 8,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I disagree. If Seguin ends up better than Kessel (he's simply not better right now) and/or Hamilton ends up a #3 or better, I'll consider it lopsided. If Seguin doesn't progress and Hamilton busts (all hypothetical), then TO cleaned up. To this day, it is not yet lopsided
Or look at how the teams performed after the trades.

It all depends on how you want to view a trade.

Players performance or teams performance.

bb_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 12:59 PM
  #78
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!
 
TorstenFrings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan View Post
Or look at how the teams performed after the trades.

It all depends on how you want to view a trade.

Players performance or teams performance.
You'd also have to consider where they started out though. Sure Boston won a Cup and TO continually missed the playoffs, but both things were at best lastly due to Kessel and Seguin respectively. That Boston has players like Chara, Thomas, Krejci, etc. should not influence how the trade is seen any more than the fact that Malkin is a Penguin makes the Neal deal highway robbery.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 05:12 PM
  #79
Sparksrus3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,079
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
I hope this is a joke. Rolston was the worst player on the ice for the Islanders every game. He made the team worse. Then, when he left, he complained about the lack of ice time that he never deserved getting. If he gets his legs cut off, I'd be okay with it.

Hunter was bad, but he tried on every shift. He had to be let go of, though. It was time.
Of course this is a joke. Hunter was a good soldier. Rolston was&$)!?()$&@"'.
I actually hate Rolston more than Kirk muller.
LET'S GO ISLANDERS!!!

Sparksrus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 10:29 PM
  #80
startainfection
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 6,077
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparksrus3 View Post
Trent hunter. 38 games 2g,5a,7pts- 1 point every 5.428 games
Brian rolston. 49 games. 4g,5a,9pts- 1 point every 5.444 games. ( with isles)

EVEN
atleast hunter put in an effort

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 02:38 AM
  #81
HockeyF3ind
Registered User
 
HockeyF3ind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
Gomez to Mtl trade isnt that bad.

Weve gone to the Eastern final as the Rangers.

So Id call it a tie


Im kidding
Mcdonagh - Subban pairing....
Haha I love that I had to quote your post in my would-be-angry text to find you were really just trolling my ass.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 01:40 PM
  #82
nhlfan9191
Registered User
 
nhlfan9191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Saskatoon, Sk
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparksrus3 View Post
Of course this is a joke. Hunter was a good soldier. Rolston was&$)!?()$&@"'.
I actually hate Rolston more than Kirk muller.
LET'S GO ISLANDERS!!!
This isn't YouTube.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 01:45 PM
  #83
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers
 
Ih8theislanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bronx,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
I'm going to say the Phil Kessel trade for this reason. In his first three seasons with the Leafs Kessel's goals and point totals have gone up every year. So I wish non Leafs fans can remember that and not what the Bruins got in return.
For the value, I don't think it's a bad trade. Very even actually. I just think it would better suit the Leafs having the two younger prospects than the better current player in Kessel.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 01:58 PM
  #84
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater
 
shortshorts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,610
vCash: 500
The Nash trade.

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 02:11 PM
  #85
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
The Nash trade.
Yeah, well, considering none of those players have even played a single game on their new teams it's tough to consider it lopsided.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 02:26 PM
  #86
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce
 
AfroThunder396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 21,460
vCash: 50
Remember how everyone thought Lou was off his rocker for trading a 2nd (which wasn't even NJ's, it was Washington's from a previous trade), a conditional 3rd in 2013, and some AHL scrubs for Marek Zidlicky?

And Zidlicky ended up being a strong contributor for the Devils and gave their defense a dimension it didn't have before? And they went to the Cup Finals? And that Foster and Palmieri were not even given new contracts by Minnesota?

AfroThunder396 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 03:49 PM
  #87
exporta
Registered User
 
exporta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly7 View Post
The Chris Pronger Trade ( To Anaheim)

Anaheim:
Pronger

Edmonton:
Lupul
Smid
Three Draft Picks

Anaheim gave away some of their best prospects at the time for a chance to go deep into the playoffs. Which they ended up winning. When the Justin Schultz topic came around Edmonton kept reminding how we stole Pronger for nothing and it was payback. For what Edmonton ended up getting it was a fair trade.
Didn't Edmonton take Eberle with one of the 1st's?

exporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 04:25 PM
  #88
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos
 
King'sPawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 8,031
vCash: 500
I don't think most trades are as lopsided as hf thinks. That's why we're the spectators instead of the managers.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 05:11 PM
  #89
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by exporta View Post
Didn't Edmonton take Eberle with one of the 1st's?
They did.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 05:13 PM
  #90
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Hands down the Kessel trade. The Leafs got a guy who just finished 6th in league scoring and he`s not even considered when people mention the trade.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 05:20 PM
  #91
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
THe Rick Nash deal isn't bad at all.
The reason people think it was bad because the media acted like Columbus was going to get the motherload for Nash and overrated his value badly.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 05:20 PM
  #92
electricjib
Registered User
 
electricjib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,711
vCash: 50
Any Colorado trade over the last 3 years /thread = Major over reaction and trolling by the opposing teams fans. And almost always ends up working out for the AVS.

electricjib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 05:24 PM
  #93
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
I'm a huge fan of Beauchemin but that trade was and always will be awful. We let Beauchemin go for nothing when he left after the '09 season and then went and traded two assets for him a year and a half later. Lupul was a bit redundant but was never given a chance in the top 6 after returning from injury (and was still producing 0.50PPG with limited minutes) and Gardiner was our best defensive prospect.

I don't think the Nash trade is as bad as many made out. The Kessel trade isn't that bad either but I do think it will come back to hurt the Leafs in a few years.
Yup. Murray had him for free but let him go only to give up Lupul+Gardiner 18 months later to get him back. Also, the reason Gardiner was deemed expendable was because of Shultz.

If it's a "Win-Win" trade, so is the Kessel trade.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 09:51 PM
  #94
bb_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: boston
Posts: 8,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
You'd also have to consider where they started out though. Sure Boston won a Cup and TO continually missed the playoffs, but both things were at best lastly due to Kessel and Seguin respectively. That Boston has players like Chara, Thomas, Krejci, etc. should not influence how the trade is seen any more than the fact that Malkin is a Penguin makes the Neal deal highway robbery.
But thats my point. How did each team do after the trade.

Kessel went on to put up goals but tor didnt get any better.

Boston went on to draft a potential first line forward and top pairing defense man and win a cup.

Player wise. Each team got great players.

Team wise... well we know how each team did after the trade.

bb_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 10:55 PM
  #95
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,384
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Yeah, well, considering none of those players have even played a single game on their new teams it's tough to consider it lopsided.
Funny, that hasn't stopped some people.

__________________
Remember - when you're a hockey fan, it's not "reckless driving", it's "good forechecking".
"Viqsi, you are our sweet humanist..." --mt-svk on the CBJ boards

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 02:22 AM
  #96
TheUndertow40Six2
Registered User
 
TheUndertow40Six2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: San Jose
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 157
vCash: 500
To this day, I still see a lot of people bash the Sharks for trading Miikka Kiprusoff for a 2nd... Then completely ignor the fact that San Jose turned that pick into M-E Vlasic, who is one of the best defenseman in the league, in my opinion.

TheUndertow40Six2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 10:30 AM
  #97
Anderson55
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Hands down the Kessel trade. The Leafs got a guy who just finished 6th in league scoring and he`s not even considered when people mention the trade.
Still the fact remains, you dont build around scoring, 1 dimensional wingers, hes top 10 in the league in scoring but doesnt to enough to help his team win every night. Its a terrible trade because of the situation the leafs were in.

Anderson55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 11:05 AM
  #98
Liferleafer
Golf....again....
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
Gardiner + Lupul for Beauchemin.

I'm not a huge Ducks fan but from what I understanding, Beauchemin is doing pretty awesome.
That deal only looks really bad if Lupul repeats as a PPG player, or if Gardiner is a true stud.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 11:08 AM
  #99
Liferleafer
Golf....again....
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan View Post
But thats my point. How did each team do after the trade.

Kessel went on to put up goals but tor didnt get any better.

Boston went on to draft a potential first line forward and top pairing defense man and win a cup.

Player wise. Each team got great players.

Team wise... well we know how each team did after the trade.
So let's see if i have this, Kessel is the sole reason the Leafs suck and Seguin/Knight/Hamilton are the sole reason the Bruins won the cup?

Total team success has zero to do with evaluating this trade. Thats not to say i agree with the deal, but i don't think it's fair to say the Leafs lost because Chara/Lucic/Krejci/Thomas...etc carried the Bruins to a cup.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 11:14 AM
  #100
SpezDispenser
Registered User
 
SpezDispenser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 14,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Straka View Post
Heatley to SJ
Yeah, this one big time.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.