HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Offseason Episode V: The Lockout Strikes Back

Old
10-07-2012, 03:25 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
So the panic is over except when it's not.

10-07-2012, 04:19 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
RT @tpanotchCSN: Voracek's club released statement saying he will miss 4 weeks - sound like a bad knee sprain; Flyers trying to get details

It's neither minor nor panic-mode

----------------------

CSN Philly update:

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...285&feedID=695

Quote:
Flyers forward Jakub Voracek sustained a badly-sprained knee during a KHL game in Europe on Saturday night, CSNPhilly.com has learned.

Voracek, playing for HC Lev Praha, was hurt during a 4-3 loss to St. Petersburg.

Sources say Voracek is telling teammates the injury is worse than what his agent, Petr Svoboda, believes. Svoboda told CSN that his client would miss just a week with a sprain.

Voracek's KHL club released a statement Sunday saying the winger would miss four weeks and would undergo further medical tests this week.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 10-08-2012 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Link to Tim P.'s info
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 05:35 PM
Bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
RT @tpanotchCSN: Voracek's club released statement saying he will miss 4 weeks - sound like a bad knee sprain; Flyers trying to get details

It's neither minor nor panic-mode
Unless the injury is 14 months, we got nothing to worry about.

Bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 08:10 PM
Phunhog

vCash: 500
Stanley Cup films on 74 and 75 Cups on NHL Network at 2:00 & 2:30 AM.

Phunhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 10:41 AM
healthyscratch

****ing ********. Maybe this will get the owners to do something. Yea right.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 04:05 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I think Ed Snider begins to throw weight around now that Voracek is hurt. For some reason, there's a misconception that he's a hard liner, yet all the players really like Ed Snider (I've never read one player bad mouth Ed Snider). I wonder if he gets involved in discussions to try to broker a deal. The Voracek injury might be a blessing in disguise.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 04:26 PM
MillerTime2181

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I think Ed Snider begins to throw weight around now that Voracek is hurt. For some reason, there's a misconception that he's a hard liner, yet all the players really like Ed Snider (I've never read one player bad mouth Ed Snider). I wonder if he gets involved in discussions to try to broker a deal. The Voracek injury might be a blessing in disguise.
That's EXACTLY what is needed. 100% Just like during the NFL lockout negotiations Robert Kraft owner of the New England Patriots, who is/was widely respected throughout the league by owners and players alike; stepped up. When he spoke everyone listened. And he's widely credited with having a LARGE impact on getting the deal done. That's what the NHL needs. SOmeone from one side to just say enough is enough and get a damn deal done. It's patehtic.

MillerTime2181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 05:21 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime2181 View Post
That's EXACTLY what is needed. 100% Just like during the NFL lockout negotiations Robert Kraft owner of the New England Patriots, who is/was widely respected throughout the league by owners and players alike; stepped up. When he spoke everyone listened. And he's widely credited with having a LARGE impact on getting the deal done. That's what the NHL needs. SOmeone from one side to just say enough is enough and get a damn deal done. It's patehtic.
I agree 100% with the bolded part.

However, one thing to consider is that the NHL has a pretty serious gag order on the owners and teams. IIRC during a previous lockout an owner was fined 500k for some of his comments.

More recently, Jim Devellano, Detroit RW, Senior VP, was fined 250k for some of his "incendiary" remarks:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...8152--nhl.html

Similarly, the players most likely have a gag order placed on them by the NHLPA. You wouldn't think so based on some of the ****ing GARBAGE that gets posted by them on twitter (but seriously they do).

The basic idea is that each organization must give the impression of being united. If one owner/player starts expressing his own opinions, then they jeopardize the integrity of their own bargaining power.

Not saying I agree with it, that's just the way it is.

Those sorts of comments are made at their own peril.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 08:50 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Oh, I guess if he's going to throw a fit, the lockout is going to be another thing that's never going to happen again

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 09:19 PM
BleedOrange
Future Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchySays View Post
Voracek hurt his knee.
And so it begins next we will hear that Giroux ends up getting hurt and be gone for months.

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 10:09 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Ed Snider's weight is behind Bettman, the lockout and the intended roll back. The players love Ed, he loves them, and he wants to break their union and take back the money he just promised them. Don't be naive, he's one of the ringleaders for the lock out, not the other way around. He wants to win the Cup, but he likes his money more.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...r-play-feschuk

Quote:
Alas, in Bettman’s NHL, not all billion-dollar owners are treated as equals. While Toronto counts itself among a handful of NHL franchisees who would like nothing more than the NHL season to commence on the double, you certainly won’t find anyone at 40 Bay St. professing such a sentiment publicly. Exercising the right to free speech, after all, can be awfully expensive in Bettman’s NHL. In his nearly 20 years on the job, the commissioner has carved out the right to arbitrarily fine any of the owners he works for as much as $1 million for comments deemed detrimental to the league’s forward progress.

As much as the league’s ownership suites are populated by the ranks of billionaires and billion-dollar corporations, there are actually only a select few power brokers who enjoy a say in the matters that matter. Boston’s Jeremy Jacobs, Detroit’s Mike Ilitch, Chicago’s Rocky Wirtz, Philadelphia’s Ed Snider — they’re pre-Bettman lifers who’ve carved out influence and power in hockey’s cigar-chomping old-boys’ club. As for the men who run MLSE — they’re most certainly not among the core group.

It comes down to simple math. In most scenarios Bettman only needs the consent of eight owners to veto any agreement. It’s no wonder, then, that Bettman’s hawkish anti-union base often gets its way while the let’s-just-play moderates in Toronto and New York and Montreal get ignored.
Quote:
The guys who matter, like Jacobs and Wirtz and Snider, they think (Bettman) is a genius,” says Jonathon Gatehouse, the author of a just-released book about the commissioner titled The Instigator. “And that’s a word they will use repeatedly to describe him — genius.”

Last edited by Larry44: 10-09-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 10:44 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
And so it begins next we will hear that Giroux ends up getting hurt and be gone for months.
Yeah, those dirty Europeans, concussing knees and whatnot. Surely this could never have happened in the friendly confines of the NHL.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 11:57 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

There's talk going around that with injuries getting involved, Ed Snider is about to put his foot down.

Take from it what you will, but there's buzz that the lockout may end sooner rather than later at best or will at the very least make some significant motions by the end of next week at worst.

You don't need to believe me, but I just hope my source (pretty reliable one) is correct. A club overseas is about to get sued because of injuries sustained by a player.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 01:23 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

KHL game televised right now on ESPN, Dynamo v. Lev. Ovi vs. Chara. I feel dirty watching hockey on ESPN, but I'm getting my fix. Levy and Melrose are calling the game....I'm assuming from som dungeonous booth in the ESPN studios. No doubt used to love hockey on ESPN, but I think it was quite dastardly how they came to this deal with the KHL.

And Shafer I hope you're right.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 02:28 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
A club overseas is about to get sued because of injuries sustained by a player.
On what grounds?

Snotbubbles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 04:46 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
On what grounds?
Not sure. I didn't ask. I assumed it had to do with either the Voracek injury or the Simmonds fight. The conversation was entirely in passing and brief. I didn't want to push any questions. Didn't sound like they knew a lot of details either. It wasn't with someone generally looked to in the hockey world, but they are in reputable Philly sports media.

It just seems that the owners are extremely unhappy with the situation with players playing overseas, Snider in particular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
And Shafer I hope you're right.
I hope so too.

Old
10-09-2012, 08:50 PM
flyersguy33*

Hey guys, my sources have told me that the lock out is going to last all year. My source told me they arent even close to an agreement. I believe my source, he is pretty legit.

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 08:53 PM
Prongo
Beer

I sense sarcasm somewhere on this page. Trying to zone in on it as I type.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 09:06 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap Happy View Post
Hey guys, my sources have told me that the lock out is going to last all year. My source told me they arent even close to an agreement. I believe my source, he is pretty legit.
Did your sources also happen to mention around when that giant stick is coming out of your butt?

We're all dying to know.

(edited so the mods leave me alone)

Last edited by CS: 10-09-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old
10-09-2012, 09:31 PM
BleedOrange
Future Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Not sure. I didn't ask. I assumed it had to do with either the Voracek injury or the Simmonds fight. The conversation was entirely in passing and brief. I didn't want to push any questions. Didn't sound like they knew a lot of details either. It wasn't with someone generally looked to in the hockey world, but they are in reputable Philly sports media.

It just seems that the owners are extremely unhappy with the situation with players playing overseas, Snider in particular.

I hope so too.
I know what happen to Voracek but what happen to simmonds in the fight?

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 10:18 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Apparently he obliterated some guy's face. Not getting as much press as I expected, even if he is in another league/country.

Not sure I want Simmonds (or any of our players) fighting at all, regardless of outcome. And of course in these lesser professional leagues, I have to wonder if anything racial was mentioned to spark the fight.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 07:27 AM
Mkoll
Inkvisiittori

vCash: 840
Quote:
found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCPw9mR9WPY

starts around the 2 minute mark. Didnt last long.

Mkoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 10:39 AM
rban*

These damn NHL players can keep themselves in shape thru exercise and practices, I DO NOT LIKE this BS of playing in KHL etc and getting hurt.

They should be forbidden from taking any damn risks during lockout cuz we need them 100 percent when lockout ends.

Yes, I am angry and pissed off. BAd enough they get injured during a rough NHL season, now on top of that they're gonna play in KHL and get hurt as well??

F^^ck them they should just quit hockey and spend all their days in hospital ward. Seems that they spend more time there than in the rink anyway.

Meszaros hurt, Pronger gone and now Voracek as well? Disband the Flyers and announce 'we can't play hockey or field a team cuz we hurt all the time'.

Jus the other day I was tellign a friend the lockout is great cuz it allows Meszaros time to recover and also prevents other players from getting hurt, they can come in fresh when season starts...

AND yeah I understand that legally and officilally the team has no right to order players not to play in KHL during lockout, but UNOFFICIALLY and under the table, coaches should whisper or hint to all Flyer players that they will be penalized in terms of ice time and opportunity if they go off during the lockout and take risks.

NO sky diving, no bungee jumping, no KHL playing, nothing allowed that risks injury during lockout!

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 11:09 AM
Mkoll
Inkvisiittori

vCash: 840
In fact they shouldn't have a life!
while we are at it: no more happiness!

Mkoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 11:53 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post

AND yeah I understand that legally and officilally the team has no right to order players not to play in KHL during lockout, but UNOFFICIALLY and under the table, coaches should whisper or hint to all Flyer players that they will be penalized in terms of ice time and opportunity if they go off during the lockout and take risks.
1. That's absurd. You think that the teams should be able to both deprive them of their paychecks by locking them out and tell them to stay home, neatly tucked in bubble-wrap?

2. It would almost certainly be viewed legally as an unfair labor practice--and likely compromise the NHL's end-goal, perhaps, of having an impasse declared and thus being able to unilaterally impose their last formal offer.

Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 10-10-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Jack de la Hoya is online now   Reply With Quote