HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2012-2013 Rangers Prospects Thread (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 12/5)

Closed Thread

Old
10-02-2012, 04:55 PM
romelson

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to romelson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
Wouldn't say he never made it, he just didn't want to make it. Homesick and whatnot.
In other words, he didnt have what it takes.
I'd love to see him give it shot though.

Old
10-04-2012, 04:53 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by romelson View Post
In other words, he didnt have what it takes.
I'd love to see him give it shot though.
He is only 27 y/o and it wouldn't be too late for him. But not to take anything away from what he is doing this year, I've seen him alot in the All-Swedish League (2nd tier league) and he has never impressed me from a NHL-prospect point of view. He is in a perfect position for him this year in Linköping. He really isn't that great when he is asked to take more responsibility.

He is from thoose generation of Swedish forwards (say 81'-85') of which only really Louie Eriksson and Alex Steen has made it (Stahlberg is more of a NA product). While there is nothing wrong with those two that did made it, the rest were just not good. These guys were just very passive/sit-back type of forwards as a norm.

Sweden had kind of a revolution around when Rönnberg were kicked of the WJC team and Mårts took over (in 2007). Just take a name out of a hat of a young Swedish forward nowadays and odds are that terms like "great intensity"/"always takes the puck to the net with speed"/"covers alot of ice"/"modern" will fit that player. If I am to pick one word to describe all decent Swedish forwards born between 81-85, "anxiety" is probably the word that fits them all the best. React instead of act. And so forth. Its amazing really if you look at a tape from like the WJC's in 02' or 03' or 04' and compare it with a WJCs form 08'-11'. We could easily play 60 minutes back then without one decent attack all night. Now on a shift by shift basis players are creative with the puck and takes it to the net.

Old
10-04-2012, 05:55 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Interesting analysis. Thanks, Ola.

Old
10-04-2012, 06:12 AM
Piodale

Thomas Spelling frustrated at Rögle

Semi long story on a Danish news site today http://tv2sport.dk/dansk-supertalent...f-reserverolle

Link obviously in Danish.

I wont translate it all, but the main point is that Spelling is unhappy with only having dressed once so far this season for Rögles best team, having to settle for junior hockey the rest of the way.

"It is as if the coach doesnt believe in me, and I never really get any feedback other than being told that "things are going in the right direction". But he never really speaks to me, unless I come to him first".

The story goes on to say that Rögle hasnt had so many injuries yet this season, which otherwise could be Spellings way into the team.

Spelling had hoped to play in their last game due to another player getting injured, but he also says he understand why he wasnt picked:

"I dont know if it would have been an optimal situation if I had to go into the 4th line getting only a few minutes of playing time and not doing anything but dumping the puck into the corners. That probably doesnt play to my strenghts/playing style".

Spelling will probably miss Denmarks Olympic qualifiers if he doesnt get matched at a higher level than Juniors in Sweden.

"I dont regret leaving Herning (his Danish club), but perhaps I should have gone to a club where playing time had been easier to come by."

He does believe that he might be playing at a higher level relatively soon, as he has spoken to Rögle about being loaned out to an Allsvenskan (Level below the Elite League) club, and he hopes that the move will go through within a couple of weeks.

Old
10-05-2012, 01:14 AM
The Sweetness

No points for Fasth or Lindberg last night in a 4-1 victory over Växjö. Evidently Fasth put in one of his teammates on a breakaway but he couldn't finish. Seems like it was a quiet night from both of them according to the match report though I did not see the game.

Old
10-05-2012, 04:18 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sweetness View Post
No points for Fasth or Lindberg last night in a 4-1 victory over Växjö. Evidently Fasth put in one of his teammates on a breakaway but he couldn't finish. Seems like it was a quiet night from both of them according to the match report though I did not see the game.
Lindberg plays for Skellefteå and not on HV-71 with Fast. Skellefteå played the monkey mountain people of AIK yesterday and won though, Lindberg pointless but had an all right game.

Old
10-05-2012, 07:06 AM
Ola

I watched SAIK and Oscar Lindberg last night.

His team is really roaring and basically looks unstoppable right now. Oscar centers the 1st PP unit with 5 forwards on it, and they are a threat every time they are on the ice. Oscar wins like every other FO clean back to his D which is a huge help, he is at faboulus 60% overall on FO's.

There's been alot of talk about his offensive skills. They are decent. But its also exciting to see him in such a great environment, there is no better way to improve something than to practise it in game-situations and OL gets to handle alot of puck and make alot of offensive plays at a very high level here (in relation to what most kids to be honest his age gets to do). Though the assertiveness in the offensive zone that you see in the typical offensive gifted hockey player is definitely not there in OL's game. He makes alot of good plays and often has good intentions, but no matter how many pts he puts up in the SEL we shouldn't get ahead of ourselfs. He is definitely not the type who it comes natrual for to run the show so to speak. I would compare his play on his line with say the play of Jason Arnott between Elias and Sykora in 01' if you get what I mean (Elias was 3rd overall with 96 pts and Sykora had over a PPG during a very defensive era of the league). Arnott was a big factor and like the missing link on his line, and so is definitely Oscar Lindberg too. He should get a ton of praise for his play. But for him the diffrence between scoring 0.5 PPGs and 1 PPGs is the environment.

Overall I think we can say that we have a good prospect on our hands who got real NHL potential as a 3rd/4th lineer. I would label his overall talent level as a little behind Anisimov. But OL is the type who could do more with less. His attitude is fantastic. And he is also in a great environment. Skellefteå is constantly developing alot of good kids, and OL is one of them. They seem to really push each other and that type of environment can do wonders for kids.

Old
10-05-2012, 08:47 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

His team is really roaring and basically looks unstoppable right now. Oscar centers the 1st PP unit with 5 forwards on it, and they are a threat every time they are on the ice. Oscar wins like every other FO clean back to his D which is a huge help, he is at faboulus 60% overall on FO's.

There's been alot of talk about his offensive skills. They are decent. But its also exciting to see him in such a great environment, there is no better way to improve something than to practise it in game-situations and OL gets to handle alot of puck and make alot of offensive plays at a very high level here (in relation to what most kids to be honest his age gets to do). Though the assertiveness in the offensive zone that you see in the typical offensive gifted hockey player is definitely not there in OL's game. He makes alot of good plays and often has good intentions, but no matter how many pts he puts up in the SEL we shouldn't get ahead of ourselfs. He is definitely not the type who it comes natrual for to run the show so to speak. I would compare his play on his line with say the play of Jason Arnott between Elias and Sykora in 01' if you get what I mean (Elias was 3rd overall with 96 pts and Sykora had over a PPG during a very defensive era of the league). Arnott was a big factor and like the missing link on his line, and so is definitely Oscar Lindberg too. He should get a ton of praise for his play. But for him the diffrence between scoring 0.5 PPGs and 1 PPGs is the environment.

Overall I think we can say that we have a good prospect on our hands who got real NHL potential as a 3rd/4th lineer. I would label his overall talent level as a little behind Anisimov. But OL is the type who could do more with less. His attitude is fantastic. And he is also in a great environment. Skellefteå is constantly developing alot of good kids, and OL is one of them. They seem to really push each other and that type of environment can do wonders for kids.
Awesome stuff Ola, thanks.

10-05-2012, 10:11 AM
joe89

Quote:
He is only 27 y/o and it wouldn't be too late for him. But not to take anything away from what he is doing this year, I've seen him alot in the All-Swedish League (2nd tier league) and he has never impressed me from a NHL-prospect point of view. He is in a perfect position for him this year in Linköping. He really isn't that great when he is asked to take more responsibility.

He is from thoose generation of Swedish forwards (say 81'-85') of which only really Louie Eriksson and Alex Steen has made it (Stahlberg is more of a NA product). While there is nothing wrong with those two that did made it, the rest were just not good. These guys were just very passive/sit-back type of forwards as a norm.

Sweden had kind of a revolution around when Rönnberg were kicked of the WJC team and Mårts took over (in 2007). Just take a name out of a hat of a young Swedish forward nowadays and odds are that terms like "great intensity"/"always takes the puck to the net with speed"/"covers alot of ice"/"modern" will fit that player. If I am to pick one word to describe all decent Swedish forwards born between 81-85, "anxiety" is probably the word that fits them all the best. React instead of act. And so forth. Its amazing really if you look at a tape from like the WJC's in 02' or 03' or 04' and compare it with a WJCs form 08'-11'. We could easily play 60 minutes back then without one decent attack all night. Now on a shift by shift basis players are creative with the puck and takes it to the net.
Torgny Bendelin was the coach prior to Mårts, Rönnberg is the current coach..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piodale View Post
Semi long story on a Danish news site today http://tv2sport.dk/dansk-supertalent...f-reserverolle

Link obviously in Danish.

I wont translate it all, but the main point is that Spelling is unhappy with only having dressed once so far this season for Rögles best team, having to settle for junior hockey the rest of the way.

"It is as if the coach doesnt believe in me, and I never really get any feedback other than being told that "things are going in the right direction". But he never really speaks to me, unless I come to him first".

The story goes on to say that Rögle hasnt had so many injuries yet this season, which otherwise could be Spellings way into the team.

Spelling had hoped to play in their last game due to another player getting injured, but he also says he understand why he wasnt picked:

"I dont know if it would have been an optimal situation if I had to go into the 4th line getting only a few minutes of playing time and not doing anything but dumping the puck into the corners. That probably doesnt play to my strenghts/playing style".

Spelling will probably miss Denmarks Olympic qualifiers if he doesnt get matched at a higher level than Juniors in Sweden.

"I dont regret leaving Herning (his Danish club), but perhaps I should have gone to a club where playing time had been easier to come by."

He does believe that he might be playing at a higher level relatively soon, as he has spoken to Rögle about being loaned out to an Allsvenskan (Level below the Elite League) club, and he hopes that the move will go through within a couple of weeks.
Depends what they promised him. Not many junior players get a lot of ice time in the SEL. Only eight junior players in the league average over 10 mins/game, and most of those are blue chip prospects like Klefbom, Karlsson, Jensen and Lindholm.

Old
10-05-2012, 02:18 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:

Sounds good. I expect him to come over when we have guys like Miller and Fasth pushing into the league, so I expect him to have some decent players to start off with us as well.

I'm still amazed at his faceoff % though. That's what makes me really like this dude.

Old
10-07-2012, 10:18 AM
Skellhell

Lindberg with 1+1 so far in todays game.

Old
10-07-2012, 01:23 PM
Kherron

Doesn't Calle Andersson have 10 points in 6 games?

http://stats.swehockey.se/Players/St...ngLeaders/3003

Old
10-07-2012, 01:52 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kherron View Post
Doesn't Calle Andersson have 10 points in 6 games?

http://stats.swehockey.se/Players/St...ngLeaders/3003
Yeah, that's with Farejstad under-20 team though. He got some games with the parent club and was scoreless in 5 games. I prefer he stay down since he isn't going to take ice time away from Lee, Tolefsson, Klefbom, etc on the parent club.

Old
10-07-2012, 02:09 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Yeah, that's with Farejstad under-20 team though. He got some games with the parent club and was scoreless in 5 games. I prefer he stay down since he isn't going to take ice time away from Lee, Tolefsson, Klefbom, etc on the parent club.
He didn't play in all those games either, he was just sitting on the bench in some of them. He's got a total of 10:37 TOI.

Old
10-07-2012, 04:35 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Torgny Bendelin was the coach prior to Mårts, Rönnberg is the coach now.
Yeah, I ment Bendelin. But Roger Rönnberg shouldn't be let of the hook that easy, he was an assistant to Bendlin....

Old
10-07-2012, 05:22 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Kreider had a hat trick today, none of which were an ENG. 4 goals in 2 games for Mr. Kreider.

Old
10-07-2012, 07:23 PM
joe89

Quote:
Yeah, I ment Bendelin. But Roger Rönnberg shouldn't be let of the hook that easy, he was an assistant to Bendlin....
I didn't know/recall that. Thought he had only been with Luleå prior. Hard to pinpoint whether it was the coaches or the players with those dark agegroups tho.

Old
10-08-2012, 01:43 PM
UAGoalieGuy

HF is starting to do the fall top 50 prospects list (No Rangers in spots 41 to 50), but they still have not posted the Rangers top 20 prospects.

Old
10-08-2012, 01:48 PM
Kershaw

Think Kreider is only one that'll make it.

Old
10-08-2012, 01:54 PM
Kershaw

http://translate.googleusercontent.c...dG95voonu7k6fw

http://translate.googleusercontent.c...t4SpjaCzbNlIfw

Lindberg and Fasth both getting 18 minutes per game with top offensive players. You can't ask for a better role for him to be in.

http://translate.googleusercontent.c...f4rV9KpocXuYnA

You can tell why Andersson should be staying down. Not ready to surpass the defenders on Farejstad.

Old
10-09-2012, 07:10 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Brady Skjei Q&A

Quote:
Did you pick up any tips at Rangers development camp?
"The coaches taught me some things for sure, but just to experience New York City was a good time."

Best part about being a defenseman is...
"I like taking the puck up the ice and seeing everyone in front of you, that is my favorite part."

Favorite pregame meal?
"Chicken parmesan for sure."
http://www.gophersports.com/blog/201...ady-skjei.html

Minnesota expects Skjei and Mike Reilly to make an impact on their D. They have so many D on that team. Minnesota begins their season on Friday. One good thing about Minnesota is so many of their games are on TV. DIRECTV. The Fox College Sports channels pick up those broadcasts. Only 2 games are not on TV.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m...key-sched.html

Old
10-09-2012, 07:13 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Brady Skjei Q&A

http://www.gophersports.com/blog/201...ady-skjei.html

Minnesota expects Skjei and Mike Reilly to make an impact on their D. They have so many D on that team. Minnesota begins their season on Friday. One good thing about Minnesota is so many of their games are on TV. DIRECTV. The Fox College Sports channels pick up those broadcasts. Only 2 games are not on TV.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m...key-sched.html
Him and Callahan will be great friends one day.

Old
10-09-2012, 08:50 PM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
Three more days!

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." — -31-
Old
10-10-2012, 12:07 AM
Matt4776
HFBoards Sponsor

The Michigan Hockey Season started today with its exhibition games, and I have season tickets as a student, so I will be providing a summary of (almost) every home game of the season for Boo.

He looked big and skinny, like they said. Definitely room to bulk up. I've heard he's supposed to be fast- but he actually looked pretty slow today. It was just an exhibition and it was very bland, but still. Wasn't overly impressed by his speed.

He showed good awareness in the defensive zone, and had some slick passes. He'll fit in with the Rangers quite well- he forced a pass when he had the puck on a 3 on 1.

I was also impressed by his board work considering he is on the skinny side.

Overall, he was average. Wasn't overly noticeable in a good way, wasn't noticeable whatsoever in a bad way. Expected for a freshman in the team's first exhibition game.

In a Non-Rangers note, Jon Merrill got shaken up really bad on a hit along the boards. He went down head first into the boards, stayed down for about 10 seconds, and then stood up, blinked like 20 times, dropped to his knees again, and tried to skate to the bench. Looked like he was skating drunk. An absolutely terrible sight to see- he'll probably be sidelined for awhile.

Old
10-10-2012, 03:23 AM
Ola

I saw Fasth play yesterday. The game ended 1-1 with 14 minutes to go after Fasth's teammate, Oscar Sundh, had a severe head injury. He hit his head against the board and then slammed his head real hard against the ice while being unconcious and got spams kind of like that Tam (sp) kid got after being hit by Patrice Comrier in the OHL (WHL?). Reports are this morning that he is awake and nothing major seem to be wrong (he was out on the ice for like 16 minutes and never regained consciousness while being in the arena so that's good to hear). Strong call by the reff and the coaches for sure to stop the game, many of them had tears in their eyes...

Anyway back to Fasth, he scored the lone goal for HV and it was a real nice one. The highlight can be seen at this link at around the 0:40 mark. Fasth also lead all skaters on his team in ice time.

http://www.hockeyligan.se/elitserien...48/highlights/

Overall, I think Fasth kind of has slowed down some the last couple of games. Hopefully he will get going again soon. He needs to be in that mode when he is all over the ice all the time, inorder to really stand out as a "top prospect". The commentators yesterday talked about how Fasth more or less is stepping up as the top prospect in Swedish hockey right now. And when he is on top of his game atleast, I think that's true. But at the same time, he doesn't get anything for free on the ice. His skating is great, but compared to say a Hagelin, Fasth is more of a well rounded skater but maybe not as intense as Hagelin so he wouldn't get a ton for free on a lower line from his skating either (I would compare Fasth's skating to Lisins (while there is none other simularity between the two)). IE great speed going the length of the ice. Great speed when going on the outside. But Hagelin in comparision got those super fast first steps that makes him eat up D's on the regular baiss on the forecheck. There is definitely no reason for concern yet. But Fasth isn't in the position where he can take a step back and still be alright.

Last edited by Ola: 10-10-2012 at 03:38 AM.
Closed Thread