HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-13 Free Agency & Transaction Thread

Old
10-04-2012, 10:43 AM
Xspyrit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
I am not against trading Michalek.
We are not close to contending yet. By the time we are ready, Milan may not even be around then.

What if we could get a Brandom Gormley for him? I want us to have an amazing core of players for the next long while.
Not just finishing between 7th and 11th
Need experience too... What when Alfie retires?

You need veterans to support younger players and I think Michalek is a pretty good player to have around, with his work ethic and intangibles. Also, he can score... Only Spezza has scored more for the Sens in the last 3 years...

Spezza : 78 goals
Michalek : 75 goals
Alfredsson : 61 goals

We need his goal scoring, don't be fools.

I'm not saying "sign him for another 10 years", just keep him while we need him, which might be for a few more years...

Finally, why get Gormley? Trading our best scoring winger for a defensive prospect would be downright stupid.

We have Erik Karlsson, Jared Cowen, Cody Ceci for the top-3... Just need to fill the bottom-3, which shouldn't be too hard with Wiercioch, Borowiecki, Blood, Claesson, Wikstrand, Gryba, Boyle, Wideman, Fransoo... plus Free Agency and Trade Market... Our defense core is already set : Cowen-Karlsson-Ceci

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 11:04 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
Need experience too... What when Alfie retires?

You need veterans to support younger players and I think Michalek is a pretty good player to have around, with his work ethic and intangibles. Also, he can score... Only Spezza has scored more for the Sens in the last 3 years...

Spezza : 78 goals
Michalek : 75 goals
Alfredsson : 61 goals

We need his goal scoring, don't be fools.

I'm not saying "sign him for another 10 years", just keep him while we need him, which might be for a few more years...

Finally, why get Gormley? Trading our best scoring winger for a defensive prospect would be downright stupid.

We have Erik Karlsson, Jared Cowen, Cody Ceci for the top-3... Just need to fill the bottom-3, which shouldn't be too hard with Wiercioch, Borowiecki, Blood, Claesson, Wikstrand, Gryba, Boyle, Wideman, Fransoo... plus Free Agency and Trade Market... Our defense core is already set : Cowen-Karlsson-Ceci
Are you expecting us to make a push for the cup in the next two seasons? Are you sure Murray is going to resign Milan? Are you sure we will be able to afford him if the cap goes down like the owners want?

I like Michalek. He is one of my favourites. I understand that hockey is a business and players are your assets. Michalek had a career year last season. His value is at an all-time high. I gave Gormley as an example. He is going to be a stud of a defenceman.

Yes we have Karlsson, Cowen, and Ceci as our top 3. Now add Gormley.

Cowen/Karlsson
Gormley/Ceci

That is a solid top 4.

All the others you listed can fight for 5,6.

If you want some vet leadership, then bring someone in when we make our cup run.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 01:40 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 106
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
I'm gonna cry...

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 09:33 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
OT but I'm having a debate with my buddy who says Phillips is a #7 dman now and should sub in the #6 slot having Lundin switch with him.

Anyone else think he's nuts?

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 09:37 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveChrisNeil View Post
OT but I'm having a debate with my buddy who says Phillips is a #7 dman now and should sub in the #6 slot having Lundin switch with him.

he's coocoo for coco puffs

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 09:41 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
He is at worst #5

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 10:06 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
I don't think I could've said it better myself.

10-04-2012, 11:41 PM
Polakdave
Official Sens' Polak

Send a message via AIM to Polakdave Send a message via MSN to Polakdave Send a message via Yahoo to Polakdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post

Polakdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 12:19 AM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

Quote:

He's off his rocker. No lower than a #5. I still think he's a good 2nd pairing defenseman.

TheOriginalSilf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 09:04 AM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

vCash: 87
He's not a 7 but he's not a 3-4 either. 5 seems about right to me.

Still ahead of Lundin regardless.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 02:32 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
We're not going to lose a whole season over these issues.

A shortened season will probably benefit the old guys like Alfie and Selanne, etc.

Less games, less travel, less everything.
I don't think there will be a season, the PA is too full of themselves

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 02:58 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
I don't think there will be a season, the PA is too full of themselves
Real_ESPNLeBrun Pierre LeBrun
Expectation is that both sides would communicate this weekend although no formal meetings scheduled yet...
5 minutes ago

Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun
Bettman/Daly and Fehr brothers were in meeting today
5 minutes ago

Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun
So to recap: unannounced meeting between Big Four negotiators in Toronto, both sides plan to keep in touch but no formal talks planned yet
1 minute ago

Old
10-07-2012, 09:07 AM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
Are you expecting us to make a push for the cup in the next two seasons? Are you sure Murray is going to resign Milan? Are you sure we will be able to afford him if the cap goes down like the owners want?

I like Michalek. He is one of my favourites. I understand that hockey is a business and players are your assets. Michalek had a career year last season. His value is at an all-time high. I gave Gormley as an example. He is going to be a stud of a defenceman.

Yes we have Karlsson, Cowen, and Ceci as our top 3. Now add Gormley.

Cowen/Karlsson
Gormley/Ceci

That is a solid top 4.

All the others you listed can fight for 5,6.

If you want some vet leadership, then bring someone in when we make our cup run.
We are already developping Top-4 D-men (Karlsson, Cowen,...). Our priority now is to develop top-6 forwards. Until we have done that, we can't afford to trade Michalek (or Spezza, Turris and Alfredsson), particulary when Alfie is retiring soon.

If a teams talks about a blue chip forward prospect, I'd be listening. Or if we could package Michalek with, I don't know, Da Costa and Gryba maybe, for Bobby Ryan, then why not.

Trading a player like Michalek who can score 25-35 goals for a blue chip D-man is not the right thing to do right now, and it won't happen. I know Murray wouldn't do it.

Quote:

Yes he's nuts (and probably worse than that lol)... At this point of his career, Phillips is an adequate #4 or a very good #5. He looked bad in 2010-11 but that's what happens when a team sucks. He looked much better last year.

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 09:34 AM
Pilgore88

I love Ceci, very glad we got him where we did.

With that said, I think it is a bit early to be writing him into our top 3. He easily has the potential to, but he is still less then a year removed from the draft.

And as for Gormley, in my mind he is Ceci with 2 more years of development

Pilgore88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 11:02 AM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

Plus let's be honest here...Ceci was terrible in the Russian series. Bad enough to be scratched. It's definitely too early to be writing this guy in to a top 4 role. He still has to make the NHL, period.

Anyone remember Will Colbert?

Old
10-07-2012, 11:13 AM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Plus let's be honest here...Ceci was terrible in the Russian series. Bad enough to be scratched. It's definitely too early to be writing this guy in to a top 4 role. He still has to make the NHL, period.

Completely different and not comparable to Ceci

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 11:19 AM
benjiv1

Quote:

Why are you so negative all the time? I don't think I've read a single optimistic post from you, ever.

Our scouting team is top notch, and has recently produced Karlsson, Cowen and Lehner whom are all obviously NHL calibre players. (On another team Lehner would at least be in a backup role at this point, or starting for CBJ last year)

benjiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 11:30 AM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjiv1 View Post
Why are you so negative all the time? I don't think I've read a single optimistic post from you, ever.
If anything he's being neutral/cautious, explaining that there's a long way to go yet. Our drafting team is top notch but there's no guarantee.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 11:35 AM
benjiv1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
If anything he's being neutral/cautious, explaining that there's a long way to go yet. Our drafting team is top notch but there's no guarantee.
If he was being neutral, he wouldn't say anything one way or the other. He's pessimistic at best.

benjiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 01:47 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Quote:

Our scouting team is top notch, and has recently produced Karlsson, Cowen and Lehner whom are all obviously NHL calibre players. (On another team Lehner would at least be in a backup role at this point, or starting for CBJ last year)
Well, he does have a trollface as his avatar

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 04:59 PM
source

Quote:
If he was being neutral, he wouldn't say anything one way or the other. He's pessimistic at best.
Relative to the consistent optimism that many posters here have, sure.

I wouldn't expect more than 5 of our top40 prospects to be good NHLers. 5 good NHLers out of that group would be amazing actually.

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 05:10 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
Quote:
John Holmes' quote about Ceci is actually retarded.

He was scratched in a mid summer tournament for fun. Reading into that is about as ****ing stupid as labeling a player amazing or terrible after the WJC's.

John Holmes likes to **** on things or players that seem to have a large group of fans. He's a hipster.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 05:14 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
John Holmes' quote about Ceci is actually retarded.

He was scratched in a mid summer tournament for fun. Reading into that is about as ****ing stupid as labeling a player amazing or terrible after the WJC's.

John Holmes likes to **** on things or players that seem to have a large group of fans. He's a hipster.
I like him more now that my perception of him has changed from 65 year old angry retiree to 20-25 year old student troll. I'm all for rightfully labelling internet posters as hipsters though.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 05:57 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

If we take as a given that the owners will be locking out the players at the end of each cba because, well because they can and it works and what can the players do about it, should the Sens start re-organizing our team building cycle and windows of opportunity around the owners lockout schedule? If there is going to be a down year, we dont want to be peaking then but at the height of redevelopment. Kinda like now.

thinkwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 10:29 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
I like him more now that my perception of him has changed from 65 year old angry retiree to 20-25 year old student troll. I'm all for rightfully labelling internet posters as hipsters though.
I'm actually 41. So you're way off either way.

Moving on...

I like this board sometimes. Now Ceci got scratched in a "fun" tournament?

You've got to be kidding. He sucked. Guys like Rielly were flying all over the place. You can't seriously tell me that the best Canadian and the best Russian prospects were taking the series lightly.

Get real. This is a country that pins its' national pride and identity on a Canada/Russia hockey series (1972) which we won in no small part because Bobby Clarke chopped Kharlamov's ankle off. Don't tell me this series didn't matter.

Anyway, I like Ceci, believe it or not. Kilrea said if you like Doughty, you'll love Ceci. I trust his opinion.

I'm not being negative. Just realistic.

I also only recently found out what a hipster is, and let me tell you if you walked around looking like that when I actually was 20-25...you'd probably get the crap kicked out of you just because.