HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Potential Cap Dumps or Amnesty Buy Outs ***From Your Team***

Old
10-06-2012, 05:17 PM
Mike Jones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
Wouldn't be surprised if Montreal didn't buyout anyone ( Gomez, Kaberle or Bourque). Gomez and Kabs only have 2 years left. Gomez will be paid $5,500,000 for this year if there's a season and $4,500,000 for 2013-14 so it doesn't become a problem for Molson's pockets and Habs rarely go h.a.m on free agents. Kaberle will be $4,250,000 for this year and $4,500,000 for next year with a $4,250,000 cap hit. Bourque $3,000,000; $4,000,000; $2,500,000 ; $2,500,000 for the next 4 years with a $3,333,333. It's not as bad as people think. At this point Gomez and Bourque are tradable for a team that needs to get to the cap floor while not paying the full value of the cap hit. Kaberle is a problem, but Montreal has the $ to handle it. Even with a decrease of the salary cap, I'm pretty sure it'll be high enough for teams still needing to reach the floor. That's my opinion though and I'm pretty sure many habs fans would want Gomez or Kaberle out of Montreal asap
Good points. I suppose that a lot depends on what the new cap (And cap floor - if there is one) is going to be.

Mike Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 04:59 PM
exporta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
Komi hands down, he is the only one with a NMC and term.

And we don't need him on the roster at all.

We can fill his spot with another teams buy out for a fraction of the cap hit.
With the departure of Schenn, and Franson being a question mark we need all the NHL defensemen we can get.

Komi was lost in a run and gun system. I expect him to be much improved under Carlyle.

Lombardi is just taking a spot from a young forward. And doesn't address a need.

exporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 07:49 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
Sure. Gomez has a year left after this one and Bourque has 3 years left after this year. Gomez is a lot easier to deal with, whether to the minors or re-entry waivers. If we were going to be fielding a competitive team this year my answer would likely be different.
Except buying out Bourque isn't going to help getting under the new cap + signing Subban.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 07:52 PM
exporta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
Komi hands down, he is the only one with a NMC and term.

And we don't need him on the roster at all.

We can fill his spot with another teams buy out for a fraction of the cap hit.
With the departure of Schenn, and Franson being a question mark we need all the NHL defensemen we can get.

Komi was lost in a run and gun system. I expect him to be much improved under Carlyle.

Lombardi is just taking a spot from a young forward. And doesn't address a need.

exporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 08:02 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Sens: I don't see anyone being bought out.

They may request Butlers buyout cap hit removed.
That is only if the cap goes WAY down.

Qward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 08:22 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
Wouldn't be surprised if Montreal didn't buyout anyone ( Gomez, Kaberle or Bourque). Gomez and Kabs only have 2 years left. Gomez will be paid $5,500,000 for this year if there's a season and $4,500,000 for 2013-14 so it doesn't become a problem for Molson's pockets and Habs rarely go h.a.m on free agents. Kaberle will be $4,250,000 for this year and $4,500,000 for next year with a $4,250,000 cap hit. Bourque $3,000,000; $4,000,000; $2,500,000 ; $2,500,000 for the next 4 years with a $3,333,333. It's not as bad as people think. At this point Gomez and Bourque are tradable for a team that needs to get to the cap floor while not paying the full value of the cap hit. Kaberle is a problem, but Montreal has the $ to handle it. Even with a decrease of the salary cap, I'm pretty sure it'll be high enough for teams still needing to reach the floor. That's my opinion though and I'm pretty sure many habs fans would want Gomez or Kaberle out of Montreal asap
If there is some kind of incentive in not using the amnesty buyout, sure. But if not, why would they squander the opportunity? The issue is cap hit, not money owed.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 08:25 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Except buying out Bourque isn't going to help getting under the new cap + signing Subban.
Then don't sign Subban until next year. Just kidding, we'll make room if we have to.

If there are big reductions in the cap I doubt there will hockey this year and the bigger reductions the less likely it will be that there will be hockey.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 11:22 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
I wouldn't mind Wizniewski back on the Habs. He's better than Diaz and Weber will ever be and we can afford him. Gauthier would still have his job as GM (I'm glad he's gone) if he had kept Hamrlik and Wizniewski as our 2nd pair of D.
He's got something of a bromance going with our #1 top pairingmarketing defenseman in JMFJ, and they were a combined +13 scoring 15 points in 14 games played when paired together at the end of last year, so... yeah, he's staying for now.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 12:02 AM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by exporta View Post

I'd rather Connolly over Lombardi to be bought out, but I do agree with Komi.

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 12:05 AM
DJN21

leino

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 12:32 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Are there really enough teams in need of a cap dump for it to be in the next CBA?

There are at least a few teams that don't.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 07:51 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJN21 View Post
leino
From what I've read NBC's working on it.

Mike Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 07:56 AM
Jtown

I know the popular opinion would for flyers buyouts would Bryz. And while you would have to consider it, the ramifications could be potentially horrendous.

We have no other goaltender in the system that is remotely close to being able to play 60 games for us. Bryz while most of the year he was bad , he was remarkable late in the season winning player of the month.

I think a dark horse candidate would be Danny Briere. As popular as he is amongst fans teammates and management, his cap hit is brutal for what he does. And with the development of Schenn and Couturier he is no longer needed at center.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 08:15 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
Are there really enough teams in need of a cap dump for it to be in the next CBA?

There are at least a few teams that don't.
I think there are about half the teams in the league in the $60-70M range, and the other half in the $50-60M range. So it really would just all depend on where a new cap number landed, and when the league was going to bring it in.

But since the players seem to be deadset against having salaries rolled back across the board, perhaps an amnesty buyout is the way around this in a lowered-cap CBA. All the unbought-out players keep their salaries per their existing contracts, no rollbacks. And at least the bought-out guys get their money (or some fraction of it), lump sum say. Maybe they can sell that to the union... some of the bought-out guys would turn around and sign smaller deals elsewhere too, which would bump them back to something approaching their original salaries, maybe there'd only be a small handful of players actually out of work.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 08:18 AM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

just for the record on thomas... suspended players dont get paid so he doesnt need a buyout. His caphit only hurts teams at the cap max. Many teams arent at the cap max. His real salary is 3 mill if he chooses to play and he has won 2 of the past 4 vezina's

so either he sits out suspended... or he reports and plays for 3 million... in neither case does he need a buyout

as for savard... ltir gets calculated on a day by day basis through the season... a team that is near the cap max will be put over the cap max from an ltir. This will hurt their ability to make deadline deals possibly since they wont have unused cap room banked to allow them to go over the cap for the stretch run.

so for Boston... look for Savard to be the most likely guy up for a buyout.

I live in Edmonton but have always cheered Boston.

For the Oilers though both Horcorff and Belenger should both get buyouts... maybe Hemsky too. It's about effecting a culture change. All three guys are legit NHL players and Oilers have the cap room to afford them even though they are overpaid... but IMHO it would be addition by subtraction to ship out these vets and hand leadership over to the kids

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 08:19 AM
JTG

The Pens would buy out Martin if they were going to buy anyone out. I just don't think they will. He still holds value, and he's a good stopgap for the organization as a huge influx of talent will be ready before his deal is up.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 08:49 AM
ThatGuy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Goldshadow View Post
Minnesota:

Has to be Niklas Bäckström. With Harding and Hackett, $6mill for Bäcks is a little steep.
I highly doubt it will be Backstrom. The Wild have playoff aspirations, and need Backstrom to make that happen. Hackett is still very young and while he is a great prospect needs more seasoning. Harding has shown great ability, but never the consistency and the health to put faith in him as your Number 1. Backstrom and Harding are a great 1A/1B combo.

More likely the Wild would Amnesty/trade either Cullen or PMB or both. One of those guys is going to get pushed to the third line as is because of Granlund and one of Coyle, Zucker or Larsson can pick up the slack for the other.

ThatGuy22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 12:35 PM
rockinghockey

EDM Horc then Khabi

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 12:38 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_OReilly_Fan View Post
just for the record on thomas... suspended players dont get paid so he doesnt need a buyout. His caphit only hurts teams at the cap max. Many teams arent at the cap max. His real salary is 3 mill if he chooses to play and he has won 2 of the past 4 vezina's

so either he sits out suspended... or he reports and plays for 3 million... in neither case does he need a buyout

as for savard... ltir gets calculated on a day by day basis through the season... a team that is near the cap max will be put over the cap max from an ltir. This will hurt their ability to make deadline deals possibly since they wont have unused cap room banked to allow them to go over the cap for the stretch run.

so for Boston... look for Savard to be the most likely guy up for a buyout.

I live in Edmonton but have always cheered Boston.

For the Oilers though both Horcorff and Belenger should both get buyouts... maybe Hemsky too. It's about effecting a culture change. All three guys are legit NHL players and Oilers have the cap room to afford them even though they are overpaid... but IMHO it would be addition by subtraction to ship out these vets and hand leadership over to the kids
EDM is not going to buy out Hemsky he was just signed for 2 yrs, Belanger's contract does not have a big enough cap hit. For EDM it would be Horc and Khabi, that would clear about 9 mil.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 12:38 PM
Kershaw

Nash, re-sign him to a cap friendly deal.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 02:23 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I know the popular opinion would for flyers buyouts would Bryz. And while you would have to consider it, the ramifications could be potentially horrendous.

We have no other goaltender in the system that is remotely close to being able to play 60 games for us. Bryz while most of the year he was bad , he was remarkable late in the season winning player of the month.

I think a dark horse candidate would be Danny Briere. As popular as he is amongst fans teammates and management, his cap hit is brutal for what he does. And with the development of Schenn and Couturier he is no longer needed at center.
If Briere is bought out, I think both Detroit and Calgary (among others) make hard pushes for him.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 04:12 PM
Robert Theodorson

It would be nice to get Ovechkin to a decent contract, he is not a $9+ million per year guy anymore.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 05:00 PM
Flyerfan52

Quote:

A bit early to look @ B Schenn or Couturier as replacing Briere. Braydon has all of 63 games under his belt & Couturier is headed for that dreaded sophmore year.

I'd rather buy out Bryz & take the chance some other team buys out a goalie we can sign or possibly we could trade for 1 since we'll have cap/roster space.

Flyerfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 06:30 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:

Briere certainly has some trading value, though. Worst case scenario he can be shipped out for a pretty good prospect or some draft picks.

VinnyC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 07:48 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
poor manny, still getting shat on? Look at how ludricuous his minutes/zone starts are and say that again. He produces like an average 3rd liner and easily play the toughest/worst minutes in the league. He went from Selke interest to great shutdown, still well worth his paycheck. He isnt paid to score.
Then look at how he played and it all becomes clear. Malhotra was a shell of himself last season and has been since the injury. My best guess would be his vision is damaged, thus the downward spiral. This isn't to say he cannot rebound however to say he was anything short of underwhelming last season would be disingenuous. He may not be paid to score however he is paid too much if his performance remains as is was.

Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote