HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

HF Boards' Healthy Body Transformation Thread - Part 4

Closed Thread

Old
10-07-2012, 08:55 PM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

vCash: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP812 View Post
Hey guys, just started working out like a month or two ago, got a gym membership and everything. I was around the border of average and overweight but I've been noticing a difference recently. Still can't last very long on the treadmill or elliptical, or lift very much weight. I am 18 years old for reference. Any tips for a newbie?
Don't get discouraged, keep chipping away with gradual increases in time on the treadmill/elliptical. What does your food intake look like roughly?

Old
10-08-2012, 06:13 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

vCash: 500
Quote:
Hey guys, just started working out like a month or two ago, got a gym membership and everything. I was around the border of average and overweight but I've been noticing a difference recently. Still can't last very long on the treadmill or elliptical, or lift very much weight. I am 18 years old for reference. Any tips for a newbie?
Set clear goals, push yourself, no excuses to not go, progression.

And always, especially as a newbie, safety first. If you dont know how to do something either ask or check out youtube for form videos. Last thing you want to do is hurt yourself when youre just starting. Theres no shame in doing very little weight in order to get that form down.

Old
10-08-2012, 06:51 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveyuidonttouchme View Post
i like this motivation vid
my favorite:

Quote:
I think the biggest trap people of all ages, especially younger guys fall into is that more cardio = better conditioning. That's partly true, and you'll see some initial gains. But guys who play sports, sprinters, highly conditioned athletes do things other than grind away long hours on a treadmill. Most do some form of interval training. I recommend looking up HIIT and/or interval cardio. Most ellipticals or treadmills have preset programs built in now. I used to love doing the 'mountain' setting this one machine had.

Failing that, grab some comfortable running shoes or cleats, a grass field or open area, and start putting in work. I was able to put on mass but I never had the conditioning until I started doing intervals. The high you get from putting in that sort of work is incredible. It's not particularly fun to do. It's actually terrible to start. If you do it right, you'll be foaming at the mouth or puking to begin with. But then you start to feel the very real gains. You'll go to gasp and your body will just take a regular inhale. When you sprint, you'll see the speed increase and it will feel easier and easier.

Something as simple as sprinting the length of a soccer field then jogging the same length back 5-10x between a 5 minute warm up and cooldown can really get you into shape in a hurry. Just make sure you do it on your off days from weight training and away from leg days if possible. If you absolutely must do cardio on the same day, do it after your weights. Remember that it's not necessarily about volume, but about the quality of the work you put in and the intensity. Half-ass it on some machines and you'll get half-assed results. There's so much out there to read and learn, plenty of it free. Always keep your mind open to new ideas and approaches. Question everything, even what I've said and what others are posting.

Old
10-08-2012, 07:44 AM
daveskirtun
:o)

vCash: 920
Down 150+lbs.

Old
10-08-2012, 08:26 AM
blue425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timzey View Post
Im about 95% paleo. allowing for some dairy occasionally... but yeah, primal blueprint is awesome... got some good cookbooks too.
I started in March and feel fantastic. I have pretty much tweaked dairy out all together at this point save for once or twice a month.

Definitely better off without it.

Old
10-08-2012, 05:01 PM
Unaffiliated

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveskirtun View Post
Down 150+lbs.
gratz and good work!

Old
10-08-2012, 05:21 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

I've been really good about going to the gym and only drinking one night/week, but recently went away with some buddies to my cottage on Thursday and stayed until Sunday. Drank everyday, didn't workout at all. It was the longest I've gone without lifting since I first started in January. Went this morning and did my chest routine, and I felt noticeably weaker, not able to do as many reps as I did just a week before. Full body detox this week.

Despite all the drinking, I actually lost weight during that span too unfortunately (I am doing a bulking phase right now) because I wasn't able to do my normal eating routine.

Old
10-08-2012, 05:22 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Quote:
Down 150+lbs.
Wow, that is nuts. Good job. Got a before pic to compare with?

Old
10-08-2012, 05:47 PM
Dave

Quote:
Down 150+lbs.
Unreal man. How long did that take you? Before/after weight + height?

Old
10-08-2012, 05:49 PM
bassassin

Anyone ever tried the zone diet?

Its recommended by crossfit and someone gave me a big hand out on it today and recommended trying it.

Will give it a shot, but it will be odd weighing all my food etc.

Old
10-08-2012, 06:25 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Went to the website and there was a huge paragraph on what it isn't and nothing on what it is. Probably some gimmick. There is no need for fancy diets. Just hit your macros. Seriously, it's not too hard.

Old
10-08-2012, 10:00 PM
JayP812
The Team of Tomorrow

vCash: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixthSens View Post
Don't get discouraged, keep chipping away with gradual increases in time on the treadmill/elliptical. What does your food intake look like roughly?
I usually have a pretty light breakfast, a bagel or a piece of toast. For lunch I get a sub, salad, or occasionally a slice of pizza. I eat a lot of things for dinner, but generally keep it low calorie. Also have an apple or something in between meals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
Set clear goals, push yourself, no excuses to not go, progression.

And always, especially as a newbie, safety first. If you dont know how to do something either ask or check out youtube for form videos. Last thing you want to do is hurt yourself when youre just starting. Theres no shame in doing very little weight in order to get that form down.
I feel I am doing a few things wrong, considering personal training to get the most out of a workout.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
I think the biggest trap people of all ages, especially younger guys fall into is that more cardio = better conditioning. That's partly true, and you'll see some initial gains. But guys who play sports, sprinters, highly conditioned athletes do things other than grind away long hours on a treadmill. Most do some form of interval training. I recommend looking up HIIT and/or interval cardio. Most ellipticals or treadmills have preset programs built in now. I used to love doing the 'mountain' setting this one machine had.

Failing that, grab some comfortable running shoes or cleats, a grass field or open area, and start putting in work. I was able to put on mass but I never had the conditioning until I started doing intervals. The high you get from putting in that sort of work is incredible. It's not particularly fun to do. It's actually terrible to start. If you do it right, you'll be foaming at the mouth or puking to begin with. But then you start to feel the very real gains. You'll go to gasp and your body will just take a regular inhale. When you sprint, you'll see the speed increase and it will feel easier and easier.

Something as simple as sprinting the length of a soccer field then jogging the same length back 5-10x between a 5 minute warm up and cooldown can really get you into shape in a hurry. Just make sure you do it on your off days from weight training and away from leg days if possible. If you absolutely must do cardio on the same day, do it after your weights. Remember that it's not necessarily about volume, but about the quality of the work you put in and the intensity. Half-ass it on some machines and you'll get half-assed results. There's so much out there to read and learn, plenty of it free. Always keep your mind open to new ideas and approaches. Question everything, even what I've said and what others are posting.
I usually use the preset workouts on machines, good way to control hard work and rest. I have been thinking about running around the track by my neighborhood, but a field sounds good too. Although I so try to stick to a certain amount of reps on weights, sometimes I can't stay disciplined. Probably going to reduce the amount of weight.

Old
10-08-2012, 10:19 PM
Gustav Nyquist
#FireHolland

Amazing progress Dave!

Old
10-08-2012, 10:51 PM
RayP

Yes, great progress Dave.

Left knee is still on fire, even collapsed when just walking down the street over the weekend causing me to roll my ankle. Ugh...

Old
10-08-2012, 10:54 PM
Augscura

P90X week 3 has begun, starting to feel really good, still suck at ab ripper.

Old
10-08-2012, 11:27 PM
JustGivingEr
How far we done fell

I'm jacked up to hit the gym tomorrow. I'm past the point where I've got the technique down solid for most exercises and I know the minimum amount of weight I can do. Only way to go is up from here.

Old
10-09-2012, 12:24 PM
daveskirtun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unaffiliated View Post
gratz and good work!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarnkrok View Post
Amazing progress Dave!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Yes, great progress Dave.
Thanks, guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Unreal man. How long did that take you? Before/after weight + height?
I started developing a routine about 2 years ago, no less than an hour of cardio a day, moderate weight training, and what started out as a very poorly planned diet (I was consuming 800 calories a day, maximum). I'm 5 ft 8 in, and my weight peaked above 320lbs. I have no idea how much heavier I got, because I stopped weighing in a year before I started running because I hated myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockFlagAndEagle View Post
Wow, that is nuts. Good job. Got a before pic to compare with?
I have only a few good before pics because I hated having my picture taken (for obvious reasons), but I have to get them from my mother. This is the best I can do right now:

2008, about 310lbs.

Last summer, shortly after getting under the 200lb. mark in over a decade.

Last Christmas, around 170lbs.

Through yesterdays picture, where I stand now at 165lbs. Went from a 42 inch waist, to a 29.
Still working at it everyday, but little things like that really keep me inspired and motivated.

Old
10-09-2012, 12:53 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Thanks, guys.

I started developing a routine about 2 years ago, no less than an hour of cardio a day, moderate weight training, and what started out as a very poorly planned diet (I was consuming 800 calories a day, maximum). I'm 5 ft 8 in, and my weight peaked above 320lbs. I have no idea how much heavier I got, because I stopped weighing in a year before I started running because I hated myself.

I have only a few good before pics because I hated having my picture taken (for obvious reasons), but I have to get them from my mother. This is the best I can do right now:

2008, about 310lbs.

Through yesterdays picture, where I stand now at 165lbs. Went from a 42 inch waist, to a 29.
Still working at it everyday, but little things like that really keep me inspired and motivated.
Absolutely fantastic job dude!

Old
10-09-2012, 02:32 PM
Unaffiliated

Maybe someone here knows a little about this.

Whenever I'm forced to take time off the gym (sick, vaca, etc), I'll drop like 5 pounds super quick, but then I gain those back within like 1 week of resuming normal schedule.

Maintaining the same diet/routine as that, it takes way longer to progress beyond those 5 (like 1/5th - 1/10th the speed).

Is this relatively normal? It seems like a bunch of my friends have this happen too. Feels weird to make so much good progress quickly and then just stop once it reaches some magic pre-existing weight level.

Old
10-09-2012, 03:33 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Probably water weight. That can fluctuate pretty easily.

Old
10-09-2012, 04:12 PM
KISSland

Quote:
Thanks, guys.

2008, about 310lbs.

Great inspiration man. Well deserved hard work. Got me all fired up.

Hows your situation with your skin? I hear dramatic weight loss reduces the skin elasticity leaving it stretched out. If you don't feel like replying here you can PM me, or if it's too private then that's fine too.

Anyways, great job man. Very inspiring.

Old
10-09-2012, 04:27 PM
daveskirtun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
Great inspiration man. Well deserved hard work. Got me all fired up.

Hows your situation with your skin? I hear dramatic weight loss reduces the skin elasticity leaving it stretched out. If you don't feel like replying here you can PM me, or if it's too private then that's fine too.

Anyways, great job man. Very inspiring.
I have a little bit of loose skin around my lower abdomen, it's almost unavoidable with weight loss. I've started doing russian twists and have noticed a lot of reduction, but overall it's a small price to pay.

Old
10-09-2012, 05:13 PM
Unaffiliated

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
Probably water weight. That can fluctuate pretty easily.
Yeah, that sounds about right.

Guess I just have to keep at it hard. I'm at least eating enough to make measurable gains, which is encouraging I guess

Old
10-09-2012, 06:01 PM
KISSland

Quote:
I have a little bit of loose skin around my lower abdomen, it's almost unavoidable with weight loss. I've started doing russian twists and have noticed a lot of reduction, but overall it's a small price to pay.
True enough. Again congratulations man!

Old
10-09-2012, 07:12 PM
RayP

Quote:
Small price to pay indeed. I wouldn't even worry about it, if you even do.

Closed Thread