HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The John Davidson saga -- That's Incredible!

View Poll Results: Should we hire John Davidson?
Sure, what the hell. 69 92.00%
No, and I'll explain my "no" in a long-winded post. 0 0%
It's too soon in the season to be making any moves. 1 1.33%
I'm an idiot. 5 6.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-06-2012, 08:02 AM
letsgojackets

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Sanderson View Post
Wow, Davidson saying some good things about the Jackets. Especially interesting is his quote "If my next stop is Columbus" - that sounds like someone who is interested in coming here. Ownership better pony up the money and bring him aboard. Priest can quietly be moved to some job on the non-hockey side of things.

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/...nterested.html
I think he is saying you have my phone number. Make the right offer and I will be there.

letsgojackets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 10:34 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Those are the most encouraging words I have read about Blue Jackets hockey in quite some time! There are no excuses, now, he's clearly expressed interest in joining the front office. If he's not hired, either they're not willing to spend the money necessary to hire one of the top available executives in hockey or they are happy with what they have. Neither is acceptable.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 11:41 AM
Iron Balls McGinty

They had better throw him a bone and bring him in. It might help soften the blow of having the all star game cancelled when that eventually happens.

Iron Balls McGinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 12:26 PM
EspenK

Hey they could always add him to the TV coverage-

EspenK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 01:22 PM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgojackets View Post
I think he is saying you have my phone number. Make the right offer and I will be there.
This.

CBJWennberg41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 02:42 PM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

Probably no bigger challenge in the league

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 04:35 PM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline

Strong indications #CBJ management is interested in John Davidson, hope to have follow-up interview in not-too-distant future #CBJ #STLBlues

CBJWennberg41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 05:02 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post

Strong indications #CBJ management is interested in John Davidson, hope to have follow-up interview in not-too-distant future #CBJ #STLBlues
They'd better, and they'd better be successful with it, too!

Old
10-06-2012, 05:17 PM
FANonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
They'd better, and they'd better be successful with it, too!
I wouldn't hold my breath on Davidson. Sources tell me that Dineen is the front runner.

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 05:58 PM
Doug19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
I wouldn't hold my breath on Davidson. Sources tell me that Dineen is the front runner.
So you're saying Arniel is going to be Howson's new boss? =O

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 06:56 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post

I'm glad to read that.

I thought Davidson did a good job in St. Louis.I'd rather have him stay west, then join the Toronto Maple Leafs, who play in the same conference as my Isles

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 07:50 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
So you're saying Arniel is going to be Howson's new boss? =O
Oh you guys...

Just keep piling it on.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 08:30 AM
Matt Foley
That's right, Edna

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdHrdina View Post
Probably no bigger challenge in professional sports.

Matt Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 08:54 AM
Columbus Mike
Next CBJ GM

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
Probably no bigger challenge in professional sports.
I disagree with this somewhat. Our management has shown that they will spend money, they just haven't made good choices. The fans base is good, especially for a franchise that trips over it's own shadow.

IMO, this is a no-lose scenario for a guy like JD. What he needs is to be given control (which IMO is the only way he comes here), and he'll get results. Put hockey people in charge of hockey.

Columbus Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 09:11 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Those are the most encouraging words I have read about Blue Jackets hockey in quite some time! There are no excuses, now, he's clearly expressed interest in joining the front office. If he's not hired, either they're not willing to spend the money necessary to hire one of the top available executives in hockey or they are happy with what they have. Neither is acceptable.
Well, or someone makes a better offer or he makes some unreasonable demands, or..... But yes, he has not crossed us off the list. I am not sure what I consider acceptable or not, but this one would seem to be one we would want to close and quickly.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 09:12 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Balls McGinty View Post
They had better throw him a bone and bring him in. It might help soften the blow of having the all star game cancelled when that eventually happens.
Throw him a bone? Probably the oddest phrasing I have seen in a long time. Makes it sound like we would be doing him a favor.

Old
10-08-2012, 09:14 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdHrdina View Post
I would certainly take the Jackets over the Islanders, for example. I wouldn't enjoy taking over that Flames team either. I could name a couple more.

Old
10-08-2012, 09:17 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Well, or someone makes a better offer or he makes some unreasonable demands, or..... But yes, he has not crossed us off the list. I am not sure what I consider acceptable or not, but this one would seem to be one we would want to close and quickly.
Or if he prefers another situation, I believe his wife has ties to Calgary...

Or if he decides he prefers to go back into broadcasting...

Or any number of factors an individual might consider when making a career change...

Yes he has expressed interest, yes we have expressed interest, it still does not make it a slam dunk and that doesn't mean someone is to blame if it doesn't happen.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 09:57 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post

Yes he has expressed interest, yes we have expressed interest, it still does not make it a slam dunk and that doesn't mean someone is to blame if it doesn't happen.
New here?

I'm as easygoing and understanding as anyone here, but, after reading JD's comments, if they don't bring him in, I'll want to know why. If, as bb suggests, his demands are totally unreasonable, I will try to understand and move on. Of course, if their idea of "unreasonable" is that he wants control of hockey opperations, then I'd find that unacceptable. They also could say that they're happy with the direction Howson/Priest have takent the team and don't need Davidson. Again, unacceptable. Also, I will not be happy with them being outbid, they need this guy more than anyone else in the league and should give him what he wants, short of Mrs. JMac, Jr. (and I'd have to see her, first, to decide if that was a dealbreaker)!

All my opinion, of course, and I'm in a particularly frothy mood, this morning, just coming off a week of pneumonia. My advice to you all: don't get pneumonia.

Old
10-08-2012, 10:04 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

He certainly has plenty of options, as a full-on "free agent" with lots of experience(s) and potential reasons to purse any of a number of options. That said, his "if...Columbus" comment does seem at least a little bit loaded.

Jackets should be looking at Davidson as a replacement for Mike Priest (president/director of hockey ops) and a full-time, hands-on replacement for Patrick (hand-holder/growth potential advisor for Howson). And while you hope the CBJ makes a strong offer, his options make it a more complicated process.

Old
10-08-2012, 12:14 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
Funny.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 12:16 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus Mike View Post
I disagree with this somewhat. Our management has shown that they will spend money, they just haven't made good choices. The fans base is good, especially for a franchise that trips over it's own shadow.

IMO, this is a no-lose scenario for a guy like JD. What he needs is to be given control (which IMO is the only way he comes here), and he'll get results. Put hockey people in charge of hockey.
This. +1. Or whatever you crazy kids are saying these days!

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 01:03 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

I know i'm violating my own rule from a few weeks ago to stay away until the lockout is resolved, but I'm just commenting on the Davidson front only.

Right now, I think the CBJ are the only ones who've shown serious interest in having him come in in a role similar or exact to the one he had in St. Louis. We are one of the few organizations that wouldn't ruffle too many "successful/accredited" feathers if he was brought in.

I don't think it will require the type of scratch he was making in St. Louis, but I could easily see him going back to broadcasting, or something else (working for the league because of his credentials) If the Jackets tried to "lowball" him.

As long as the CBJ remain the frontrunner, thats a good thing. I doubt we'd hear any type of "official announcement" before the lockout is settled anyways, didn't the organization manage to interview him back in May without the media finding out for a week or two?

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 02:05 PM
cbjfaninmo
I know nut-ting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus Mike View Post
Put hockey people in charge of hockey.
Enough said.

cbjfaninmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 02:05 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
I doubt we'd hear any type of "official announcement" before the lockout is settled anyways, didn't the organization manage to interview him back in May without the media finding out for a week or two?
I wouldn't make that assumption. The CBA doesn't come into play, at all. If they are both on board, I don't see why they wouldn't want to start immediately and get the front office ready to go when the lockout is lifted. There is plenty that Davidson could do with the lockout in place.