HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

NHL Fan Boycott

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2012, 09:28 PM
aRussian

vCash: 500
It's free on tv or nothing at all for me now... I went to nearly every game the last 4 years, half my wardrobe is hockey-related, and I've gone to team events and spent money at that. No more. I can't abandon hockey, but I sure can plug the hole in my wallet.

I like the idea of a petition but you can see just on the boards alone that 50% of people are skeptical about it and wouldn't help get it started on that. I'm personally vowing to not spend on the NHL for the entire duration the new CBA is signed for. Merch, special channels, games... anything.

I don't like being taken advantage of and being taken for granted. I'm only a couple hundred dollars, but money adds up.

Old
10-04-2012, 09:52 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free View Post
Here's how we hit them where it hurts: we vow to not only not purchase league merch, but any product produced by an NHL sponsor. Including but not limited to Molson, Tim hortons, rexall, Pepsi etc etc

See how the league likes it when they have advertisers threatening to pull sponsorship.
I like that idea. Let it be known if your company advertises with the NHL, we're not buying.

Old
10-04-2012, 11:40 PM
AHockeyGameBrokeOut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyvale420 View Post
Are there enough hockey fans on 4chan? Or even on here post owners personal inforation such as family members, jobs, banks, phone numbers. Do that to players as well. Fans need to show these rich A-holes who has the real power
Have you been to the sports board on 4chan? Yes, I regularly go there as I'm that sort of guy, and I'll tell you that 90% of the patronage there is watching European Football (Soccer). They condescendingly refer to hockey as 'furpuck'. I'm sure they'd love to 'dox' players if they had the chance (because 4chan will 'dox' anyone) - but generally, the players would just laugh it up because most 4chan tactics that work against the average middle class citizen (ordering them a dozen pizzas, prank calls, bugging their family members) are generally ineffective against public personalities (who are already subject to that kind of stuff on a daily basis). Good idea - but won't amount to anything. Doxing someone who is already public is pointless.

Old
10-07-2012, 03:07 AM
Bert Marshall days

When they come back, ignore them and take a year off spending no money on the NHL. You'll survive.

Old
10-07-2012, 05:10 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Always positive

I'm not giving them a cent.
I'll watch the games on TV, that's it but no tickets, no center ice, no merch. I'm not going to reward them for stupidity

Old
10-07-2012, 05:50 AM
OGBobbyFarnham

I've actually waivered on this the last couple of days.

The actual reason we are not getting hockey, for me anyway, is that the players believe they are owed this. They believe the league is healthy and making record revenues and they want more of it. That they gave back in 2004 and won't do it again for very selfish reasons.

The league on the other hand want the majority of thier owners to make a viable/sustainable/hopefully profitable business out of this thing. I can't fault the owners for doing that. I would do it myself if i was losing money year after year.

So i say support the team but not the individual player, however you see going about doing that.

ETA: Also when this CBA gets settled and you see the team you support overspending, call them out on it.
Get reporters to ask the questions with your backing.
Be heard on social media etc.

Last edited by OGBobbyFarnham: 10-07-2012 at 05:58 AM.
Old
10-07-2012, 07:01 AM
PeterAngelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
What I think would be really cool is a one game boycott opening night whenever it is to see 30 nhl arenas empty would be amazing.
I would love something that visually displayed the fans displeasure like the look of 30 empty stadiums for 1 night.

Heck even if the places packed out on opening night but then as the puck dropped every fan in every arena turned their backs on the play. For the entire first period.

Would never happen but it would make for a kick ass photo.

Old
10-07-2012, 08:32 AM
WilderPegasus*
A REAL Senators fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post

The actual reason we are not getting hockey, for me anyway, is that the players believe they are owed this. They believe the league is healthy and making record revenues and they want more of it.
This is true. Well, the league is healthy and making record revenues part is. That the players want more of the revenues is a lie. Their proposals all give them less than what they would have made if the old CBA had just been extended.

Quote:
The league on the other hand want the majority of thier owners to make a viable/sustainable/hopefully profitable business out of this thing. I can't fault the owners for doing that. I would do it myself if i was losing money year after year.
Except the league was profitable last season. After giving the players their share they had almost $1.9 BILLION dollars plus whatever revenues that were excluded from HRR.

Old
10-07-2012, 09:10 AM
OGBobbyFarnham

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilderPegasus View Post
This is true. Well, the league is healthy and making record revenues part is. That the players want more of the revenues is a lie. Their proposals all give them less than what they would have made if the old CBA had just been extended.

Except the league was profitable last season. After giving the players their share they had almost $1.9 BILLION dollars plus whatever revenues that were excluded from HRR.
I should've said they(the players) don't want to give up the surplus which is needed to sustain a healthy league fast enough.

Old
10-07-2012, 09:11 AM
WilderPegasus*
A REAL Senators fan.

Quote:
I should've said they(the players) don't want to give up the surplus which is needed to sustain a healthy league fast enough.
No you shouldn't have said that because it doesn't make any sense.

Old
10-07-2012, 10:19 AM
OGBobbyFarnham

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilderPegasus View Post
No you shouldn't have said that because it doesn't make any sense.
I should've said they(the players) don't want to give up that small piece of the pie needed to sustain healthy teams throughout the league fast enough.

The dropping percentage was turned down wasn't it?

ie. It didn't drop fast enough for the league to say yes to?

Old
10-07-2012, 10:05 PM
noupf

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
I'm not giving them a cent.
I'll watch the games on TV, that's it but no tickets, no center ice, no merch. I'm not going to reward them for stupidity
more and more people are starting to catch on........KEEP IT COMING PEOPLE !!

BOYCOTT THE NHL AND ALL OF ITS PRODUCTS !!!

Old
10-07-2012, 10:11 PM
Mant*

Quote:

The actual reason we are not getting hockey, for me anyway, is that the players believe they are owed this. They believe the league is healthy and making record revenues and they want more of it. That they gave back in 2004 and won't do it again for very selfish reasons.

So i say support the team but not the individual player, however you see going about doing that.

ETA: Also when this CBA gets settled and you see the team you support overspending, call them out on it.
If you just HAVE to buy a jersey... buy one without a name and number.

Old
10-07-2012, 10:13 PM
sawchuk1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
People don't have enough restraint for this.

There are middle class families spending thousands on the NHL per year, getting new jerseys and lots of tickets + merch every yr sadly.

I agree something needs to be done and I'm sure that the revenues will not be as high immediately at least but a large boycutt won't occur just because of the lack of restraint.
you mean the canadian middle class right?

Old
10-07-2012, 11:43 PM
CHfan1

Honestly, I miss the NHL already, if I have tickets I'll be watching opening night in Edmonton, if I don't I will be watching the Habs on tv.

I can sit here and lie that I will boycott the NHL, but I won't; I just hope Bettman and Fehr get their $h!t together to get a deal done so this season isn't a loss.

I wouldn't be on this forum, especially in the business section if I didn't care. I will leave the boycotts to the casual fans in the weaker markets where it will hurt the NHL more.

Old
10-08-2012, 09:01 AM
JeremyNYR

Your signature on a boycott pledge might as well be a declaration that you are a hardcore fan that will be there excited as can be as soon as an end to the lockout is announced. Think about it from the NHL's perspective as a business; you CARE about their company so much that you sought out and signed a declaration to tell the NHL how upset you are about not being able to buy their product. That sure sounds like a customer that isn't going anywhere.

Silence would be much more effective than any noise you can make. That would mean don't visit NHL.com or team sites, don't watch NHL Network, don't listen to the NHL channel on satellite radio, don't follow player's twitter feeds, don't read articles about the lockout, don't organize any fantasy leagues, don't buy tickets to AHL games in the meantime, don't post on message boards like this, etc. Those inactions MIGHT help, but I don't see it happening.

Old
10-08-2012, 09:10 AM
BLONG7

If they don't settle soon, you will see people no longer spending money on jerseys, hats etc and it will have an effect...and that's the proper thing...hit the owners and the PA where it hurts the most...because that's all they really care about, is money...

Old
10-08-2012, 09:13 AM
WilderPegasus*
A REAL Senators fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mant View Post
If you just HAVE to buy a jersey... buy one without a name and number.
More like if you have to buy a jersey, buy it from China. Who cares if it isn't 100% perfect? You'll still look like a fan but one with more money in their wallet.

Old
10-08-2012, 09:47 AM
TribalPhoenix
HFBoards Sponsor

It's a fundamentally complex situation with no true hero or villain in the purest of senses.

One the one hand, the owners have seen the prosperity of their business grow 50% on the aggregate over the term of the CBA they constructed. They were also the ones who agreed to 57% of revenues going to players - it's almost as if they didn't believe they could be as successful as they've been. Now that the business has become so strong, they want to keep more of the pie... that's like working for a company that has posted record profits, but then says they want to slash salaries, adjust contractual rights, reduce benefits, ad infinitum. The players feel they should be sharing in the success, not lining the pockets of owners. 2004 was about "cost certainty"... realistically, now the owners are trying to make a case for "profit certainty" - they want to make money, regardless of how poorly teams run their business (i.e. the Columbus Blue Jackets organization) and how owners try to slit the throats of other GM's (i.e. the Shea Weber deal banking that Nashville didn't have the financial clout to match the insane signing bonuses in his offer sheet.) There is no industry within a free market system where profits are guaranteed.

On the other hand however, the owners are the ones who sustain the carrying costs of a business. Every stick, every plane ticket, every security guard, and every HR generalist under the banner of the club is paid for by the owner. Ticket sales down? The owner feels the pinch. A shift in the value of the US$? The owner takes that hit. Players are the product as well as the manpower, and as such they do have a very unique position within the labour economics world - look at similar industries like movie stars, musicians, etc where the product is the worker. With all that said, the players aren't arguing on the basis that they can't get by on what they make... even a 4th line grinder making $600K a year, factoring in 50% gone in taxes and union dues, makes 300K$ a year - or basically 6X that of the individual with a net income of 50K$ a year, or gross salary of about 80K$ a year after taxes and deductions. So over that grinders career of maybe 4 years, he will make the equivalent of what the 80K$ guy makes over 24 years. Let's also not forget that the grinder won't just stop playing hockey - he'll go to the AHL, or Europe and continue to make somewhere between 150K$ to 300K$ per season for another 4 or 5. So for all this blather that the players can cry poor, any kind of sound financial management will make sure they are comfortable for all their days... however the players seem to see it as their inherent right to massive houses, exotic cars, 6000 square foot cottages in Muskoka, and $24,000 bar bills.... all under the guise of "I worked hard for this", forgetting that anyone who works for a living works pretty damn hard and we'll never see the lifestyle they have (I for one have been working full time and doing part-time university for the past decade after going to school already once - I wonder if Krys Barch will come pat me on the back and offer me a few OV's and port...)

The players trumpet respect. They slam their fists and thump their chests about. Really, it comes down to something called Equity Theory. This is a motivational theory proposed by an organizational theorist named John Stacey Adams, which basically says motivation is measured and adapted based on the inputs and outputs of organizational equals. In this case, an organizational equal is a similar union, not within the union itself because the CBA is being compared to other pro sports league since it's collectively bargained. In short, they look at the salaries of other leagues, and say we want to keep making big dollars because other guys are making big dollars... the NBA/NFL aren't getting below 50%, so why should we?

At the end of the days, each side just wants to line their pockets a little more. Owners foot the bill and assume the risk, but they also pillaged and plundered the union during the last CBA and got everything they wanted and now want a little bit more. The players don't see the need to take a pay cut given the success of the league, but are completely disconnected from the realities of the average person in society, patting each other on the back and saying "Don't worry, you worked hard to be here, you've earned it". In reality, everyone works hard to get to where they want to be - they're just the ones who have natural ability not given to others to play a game for a living and get paid astronomical figures to do it. That should make you grateful for what you do for a living, not entitle you to a lifestyle of excess and decadence.

Now this, and I've been saying this since the summer. I will continue to support the league and the NHL if there is a season this year. Fine, stoppages suck, and I miss my HNIC, but they're also a part of the pro sports landscape. We may not like it, but it's a part of Industrial Relations. Can't change it.

However, if the league cancels a season, I will be packing up everything I have with an NHL insignia; my jersey collection, my hockey games, my paraphenalia of all kinds, into a big box and I will be sending it to NHL head office, along with a letter stating my absolute disgust with how things have gone and walking away from it for good. I'll also be sending pictures of the box, and copies of the letter to the NHLPA, and the head offices of all 30 NHL teams, as well as all major Canadian newspapers, outlining the dollars I've spent over my roughly 25 years of being a fan and that I will never drop another dime on them again. I will include in this letter that you can believe that there are many more out there like me, and if I'm lucky enough to get some kind of exposure in the media about it, that there may be more who do the same.

I'm lucky to have the OHL and AHL within short driving distance to my home. I'd rather support hockey, instead of the cash machine that Bettman has created.

Old
10-08-2012, 11:24 AM
bert

I am realizing that I just dont miss it that much. I thought I was going to but the sheer utter stupidity of this lockout has made me indifferent. I wont be going back, not in any hurry anyways. After looking into this in great detail I have come to the conclusion that these hockey players must be some of the stupidest people around. Greedy yeah, but more dumb then anything.

Old
10-08-2012, 01:08 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyNYR View Post
Your signature on a boycott pledge might as well be a declaration that you are a hardcore fan that will be there excited as can be as soon as an end to the lockout is announced. Think about it from the NHL's perspective as a business; you CARE about their company so much that you sought out and signed a declaration to tell the NHL how upset you are about not being able to buy their product. That sure sounds like a customer that isn't going anywhere.

If it will help, im sure the owners will even co-operate in not selling any tickets to their opening game so that the crowd shots will be empty, the owners can be properly chastized, fans can feel they made their point, and then we can all go back to ensuring the owners receive an extra billion of the dollars we spend on hockey over the next few years.

Taking it out on the players or owners is misdirected rage. If the intent is to find a way to apply pressure to stop the lockout earlier, it is league sponsors that have pull. Make them antsy, and you will gain some leverage.

Lockout 2012
Brought to you by: Rogers, Bell, Rexall, Lil Caesers ...

Show them your appreciation. Write a letter.

Old
10-08-2012, 01:19 PM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:

I kind of agree actually. The same mentality of being angry at the league before accepting this fate. Then the players entitlement made me re-evaluate, and I would boo them if I had the chance.

Still, I don't plan on giving the league any of my money for the foreseeable future. There are ways to follow the league, if they are to return as before, without funding this joke. They can take their "7.1%" and shove it.

Old
10-08-2012, 02:04 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

I posted this on the main board, but figured I'd also ask it here. It involves the idea of the first game back being a massive fundraiser for Hockey Fights Cancer, and whether it would change your mind or at least temper the anger/frustration a little bit.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...php?p=54847601

Old
10-08-2012, 03:28 PM
GbgRanger

What NHL-fans really should do is to put some pressure on the sponsors of NHL. Send some e-mails complaining to the companies. Tell that we will boycott their products until NHL starts.

Make NHL take a hit where it hurts. If they want to be greedy like this then we should make them pay. Not by boycotting NHL but their sponsors.

Old
10-08-2012, 07:31 PM
BoHorvatFan

You people don't get it, the best way to have your voice heard is to not use it at all.

No protests, no petitions, just don't talk about hockey unless it's something like ''i don't care if the NHL comes back or not'' or ''all these other sports are so much better than the NHL'' if enough people tweet stuff like that the league will notice.

Do not show the NHL or the NHLPA that you miss hockey and are dying to go back to paying them billions for the honour of entertaining us.

They will become extremely worried if people start moving on and stop caring. Thats how a deal will get done.

Closed Thread