HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW Nicklas Jensen (2011, 29th overall, Vancouver)

Old
04-15-2012, 10:24 PM
Tiranis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
For a guy barely above a point per game in the OHL as an 18 year-old? I can understand wanting to do away with the rule all together but making an exemption for Niklas Jensen of all players is pointless.
Not really. He made a huge case for staying up with the team after his first training camp and if we were a non-playoff team he likely would've. Having watched him in 3 of his 6 Wolves' games, his game is well suited to the pros. He's really not that far off from making the NHL.

Jensen is a perfect example of why scouts don't look at stats.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 10:25 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzoVonMatterhorn View Post
Just had a hattrick today against Peoria. Finished his regular season stint with the Wolves with 4 goals in 6 games.
Wasn't Peoria's goalie 18 years old?

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 10:30 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Wasn't Peoria's goalie 18 years old?
Yes, but I don't think that's particularly relevant considering he had a great game. 3rd star.

Old
04-16-2012, 12:32 AM
Noori

vCash: 50
Quote:
His game is more suited for the AHL and NHL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Not really. He made a huge case for staying up with the team after his first training camp and if we were a non-playoff team he likely would've. Having watched him in 3 of his 6 Wolves' games, his game is well suited to the pros. He's really not that far off from making the NHL.

Jensen is a perfect example of why scouts don't look at stats.
The problem is, every team can make the same argument for their players.

Hell, just on the Flames you could that argue Bartschi, Reinhart, and Ferland are all men amongst boys who's size and talent should have had them playing in the AHL this season. Especially Ferland, his physical powerforward game is well suited to the pros.

Hardly an 'exception' when 20-30 guys are exempt from the rule.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 05:37 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranNetPresence View Post
ugh i hate that rule where he can only play in the NHL or CHL next year. they need to bring in that exemption rule or something
It's not the NHL or AHL who back that ruling.

It's one that the CHL leagues have pushed through to ensure that they aren't depleted of all their 18 and 19 year olds at every juncture.

They are the ones who pushed that through.

It makes major sense for them too, because just imagine how many NHL teams would rather have all their 18-20 year olds at their own affiliate rather than playing for a junior club where they aren't directly controlling and influencing his development.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 09:08 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
It makes major sense for them too, because just imagine how many NHL teams would rather have all their 18-20 year olds at their own affiliate rather than playing for a junior club where they aren't directly controlling and influencing his development.
I think a 1 in 10 years type of exemption (per team) could be interesting and it could only be applied 1 year after the draft. Not sure how open the CHL would be to that though.

Old
04-16-2012, 09:18 AM
rick3652

Quote:
His game is more suited for the AHL and NHL.
If he can't be the best player on the CHL team he is playing for how is he going to be good at the AHL or NHL level.

rick3652 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 12:57 PM
Icebreakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3652 View Post
If he can't be the best player on the CHL team he is playing for how is he going to be good at the AHL or NHL level.
Not all players have to be the best player on their CHL team to be a good player in the AHL/NHl, he put up very respectable numbers in his second year in the OHL this year with 58p in 57gp. Players like Jordan Staal and Ryan Johansen were drafted 2nd and 4th overall putting up <1ppg. Not everyone looks at statistics. Sebastian Collberg is the second rated swede in this years draft and he has 0G 0A 0P in 41 GP , albiet in the SEL but he still has 0 points for an offensively minded player, but it has still yet affected his stock. Jensen has put up 4 G in 6 games so far and he deserves a shot in the AHL (If he was allowed).

Icebreakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 01:54 PM
arsmaster

Better to keep discussion about drafted prospects to the team specific boards.

Discussing players from Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Boston, and any team with a large HF following will be met with nothing but negatives from the masses of people tired of hearing about the Canucks, Leafs etc

Not to play mod, but nothing reallly comes out of these thread bumps.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 05:11 PM
puckfan13

It's hard to say with the NHL/AHL thing... sometimes when you think your type of player would benefit more from playing in the AHL (big power forward type who has nothing to learn) it's usually the more slight/cerebral types that benefit more. Brandon Pirri and Nick Leddy both played in the AHL when they were 19 and it has benfitted both tremendously I would say. John Carlson did as well, the sample size is too small so it's hard to say which players would benefit the most.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 05:24 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3652 View Post
Yes because no player has ever exceeded their draft position right?

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 11:39 PM
SiCKNESS

Nicklas Jensen

Very underrated imo. Still 19 and has 6 Goals in 7 Games in AHL since his OHL Season ended. Has looked very good, also a very good chance he could make the Canucks next year.

SiCKNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 03:33 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Kid looked good for you guys at the rookie tournament, looked like a potential steal considering how late in the 1st he was drafted.

04-21-2012, 03:48 AM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 1752
2 goals in his first ahl playoff game! and had a hatty during the last game of the season. He might even make the canucks next year !

Bgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 04:17 AM
Habitat

I dont follow prospects much but how does this guy look for next year? Is there any chance he makaes it on the canucks next year or will he play a year in the AHL?

Habitat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 05:20 AM
Yossarian54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitat View Post
I dont follow prospects much but how does this guy look for next year? Is there any chance he makaes it on the canucks next year or will he play a year in the AHL?
It's either the Canucks or OHL next year, he's not old enough for the AHL unfortunately. By all reports he had a great training camp at the start of this one so another one could conceivably put him in contention. A roster spot would have to open up though.

Yossarian54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 07:19 AM
King of Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian54 View Post
It's either the Canucks or OHL next year, he's not old enough for the AHL unfortunately. By all reports he had a great training camp at the start of this one so another one could conceivably put him in contention. A roster spot would have to open up though.
It's going to be pretty awkward when Mason Raymond goes to Rogers Arena at the end of the playoffs to clean out his locker room stall and sees that his name plate has already been replaced by Jensen.

I honestly haven't been this excited about a Canucks prospect since.. Cody Hodgson? It's been a few years.

This guy has a very bright future.

King of Anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 08:01 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

I wish the absolute best for Nicklas Jensen!!

I love Denmark and his father is from my hometown (Richmond Hill).

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 09:08 AM
Nuck This

I have a feeling he's gonna be an NHL all star first line winger. That size, hands, shot and speed is just an absolute beast package. If the Canucks can develop him properly look out.

Nuck This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 09:22 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitat View Post
Either OHL or the NHL for him. Personally, I think he belongs in the AHL which makes the rule even more unfortunate. He needs to work on his defensive game for the pros but that's not something he's going to get accomplished all that well in juniors. His offensive game is ready or close to ready for the NHL. (Based on watching him with the Chicago Wolves.)

I think it will depend on who is coaching the Canucks next season. AV was downright giddy when he saw Jensen in the pre-season and the way he talked about him, I don't think there has ever been another Canuck prospect that made him that excited. So I could see Jensen making the team with AV around.

Last edited by Tiranis: 04-21-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old
04-22-2012, 03:11 PM
mikael99

Here is another interesting tidbit. A couple of weeks ago the coach for the danish national team stated publicly that Nicklas Jensen was out of the picture for this years worlds .. because of the AHL playoff.

Well you an opinion until you have a new one. Today he states that he is very much in the picture to play for Denmark in this years world championships.

Obviously his recent succes amongst the grown ups and the fact that Chi Wolves are down 0-2 in the series had some inpact.

Could/should be interesting to see Nicklas @ the world championships.

mikael99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 04:19 PM
Smallz

Am I the only one who thinks that Jensen would be the perfect line-mate for the Sedins in the future?

Smallz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 10:04 AM
Justinov

Playing for AIK in the SEL league Nicklas Jensen is team leading with 5G 2A in 10 matches (position 15-23 all league) and with a -3 statistics.
AIK is really struggling, but it doesn't seem to stop him in developing. Rather it's probably going to make him tougher mentally since he will be more and more "the expected guy" to save the team.

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 11:04 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Yeah. The one thnk I'm worried about is that his playmaking may not be developing as it should, as I think he know his linemates are often not the greatest, and shoots the puck more often than he should(although he has a great shot, so it's not too bad). While it would be great to add another sniper to our team, and he is doing extremely well, I think playing lesser minutes on a bad team has cons as well as the pros of working hard, I just don't want the "do it yourself" attitude to become a habit when he gets to the NHL level.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 11:12 AM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Yeah. The one thnk I'm worried about is that his playmaking may not be developing as it should, as I think he know his linemates are often not the greatest, and shoots the puck more often than he should(although he has a great shot, so it's not too bad). While it would be great to add another sniper to our team, and he is doing extremely well, I think playing lesser minutes on a bad team has cons as well as the pros of working hard, I just don't want the "do it yourself" attitude to become a habit when he gets to the NHL level.
Who said he is playing lesser minutes? I heard he was getting good icetime

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote