HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Hans Tavares to SC Bern

Old
09-30-2012, 01:00 PM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
You know, I find myself consistently jiving with your thoughts Caustic. Very good post.

You look at JT's progression, he's amazingly consistent statistically. If there was a complete season, I would think that he'd be good for around 95 points if he continues his 'step like' ascent. He increased his SOG's by around 40 every year. It's a really interesting trend when taking a glance at his stat line from season to season. He still has many years to continue his development, so the sky really is the limit for him. I think he tops out as a consistent 40+ goal scorer/year. He may have some years of 50, but not consistently.

This was posted a little while ago and is a great read on Tavares' skating and shot. He's been working on his skating for years now, not just one offseason.

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=640392

Let me just add one more thing about JT that really impresses me. We all know he is willing to do the work to get better, but he goes about it so intelligently. In that article about his shot, he talks about working on those rotational muscles involved in the mechanics of the shot. HE was the one who requested that machine to Clark that works on the midsection. I guess his high level of hockey sense is not just limited to on the ice. This kid just gets it.

If there is no season, I hope we get lucky and get MacKinnon and then we'll see how great JT could be. He needs a weapon like Nathan to get 100+ points. Sounds kind of like the whole 'Yashin needs an elite winger' all over again (Yashin couldn't generate chances on his own like Hans can), but it's the only way JT can hit his ultimate ceiling IMO. I don't know if he'll ever get to Crosby's level, but I know now that I'm never going to doubt him anymore. He's already surpassed my expectations so far, I honestly didn't think he would be this good when we drafted him. I guess he's more the tortoise than the hare, but we all know how that ended up.
Thanks much; I just see a potential for a similar-yet-different ability to toggle an approach to offense in Tavares, not unlike the one that makes Crosby what he is.

Crosby's strengths are many, but they all gel in a way that if he needs to be a puck distributor, he can absolutely do so; if he needs to be a goal scorer, it's only a matter of reach - different shelf, same toolbox. Not that far of a reach, and much easier to reach those peaks when you've got no shortage of NHLers willing to sign with your team.

As for Tavares' game, look at his wings: Matt Moulson, who is a steal of a #1 LW, consistent, but we already know what he's going to do - stand in front of the net and find a way to bury 35-40 goals without getting a truckload of penalties. On the RW, it's pretty much only been Okposo & Parenteau. (PAP's not the cleanest skater, pretty good at distributing the puck, but prone to falling down, a little bit of scrappiness to his game. Time will tell whether the chicken or the egg came first once the NHL recommences; I don't think it was *all* JT but logic dictates that most of it probably was.)

Then you have Okposo, who could bloom into a solid power forward, but lacks the consistent will to take/initiate contact (though he recognizes it and has mentioned it as something to be improved upon, noting an added caution in his game after his shoulder injury.) While it isn't absolutely bad having two players with a predilection to play soft on the same line, it gives the opposition too much foresight; if you can get and stay physical with 2/3 of a line like that, Moulson could be in front of the net all day, but Okposo's likely to play softer, and JT has to....."be JT" in order to overcome the drop in efficient puck distribution, essentially working from 30-40 feet out - far from where his skillset is at it's most potency - within 10-15 feet. (Which is another reason why I think PAP had such success on that line; if he fell down, he'd still find a few ways to move the puck and get a litle creative, tieing up an opposing skater at the half-boards, effectively giving JT one less skater to concerned about, creating a 4-on-4 for a small window.)

Point being this line might be effective, as many have said before, but they're about as one dimensional as a stick figure on the wings. Parenteau and Okposo, to be effective, generally had to get the puck to JT from the sideboards, at which point the opposition finds themselves in a game of 'monkey in the middle' between JT and Moulson. Moulson's an ace at ramming home pucks in the ensuing chaos, and JT's great within 10 feet of the net anyhow, but his shot just wasn't hard enough to beat a goalie cold as others can. Before his skating and strength improved, he wasn't beating defenders as much with that, either.

This is where a well-developed Strome/Kabanov or a rejuvenated Niederreiter could add a dimension to this line - Strome can dangle like no one else JT's played with, Kabanov still garners his "Kovalchuk-lite" comparisons, and Niederreiter still has a chance to meet his projections, hopefully panning out as a rough, north-south power forward with a hard shot who can skate against bigger defensemen with a fair degree of success. It's a skillset similar to what a guy like Bobby Ryan would bring.

How does this all relate back to JT? Upgrades in his line will make it much harder to for the opposition to suss out what exact shape the attack will have. Hypothetically any of the three prospects above panning out well enough to earn a look on how they handle the #1 RW position has a greater potential to add an additional dynamic to that line, so long as one of them develops a chemistry with JT that doesn't over rely on the current formula of 'skate to half-boards, look for JT, either wait for JT to deliver puck to Moulson or begin cycle.' End result, JT (with his undoubtedly heavier shot) gets to shoot more from within 20 feet and has a second set of creative hands on a skater slippery or strong enough to not get held up 40-50 feet from the net by a skating/hitting deficiency, both of which we have seen from #'s 15 & 21, in varying amounts.

Tavares is already insane at puck distribution and deflections. Many of his assists are primaries as he just knows where to put the puck for a linemate. Moulson, Okposo and Parenteau in their ways are great complimentary players with his style, but I see both his goal and assist totals likely spiking once he finds a winger with more than two tricks in their toolbox who can play a little more 'self-sufficient.'

Not trying to make this all dangerously close to prospect talk; but here's hoping there's someone in the organization already with the kind of skills that make it possible for Tavares to use them for more tricks than previous RW's can use Tavares for the kind of point totals one gets with a "marginally talented" center.

Last edited by 88th Precinct: 09-30-2012 at 01:44 PM.
88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 06:50 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Streit has 4 points (2G 2A) in 4 games. Doesn't look like Tavares has played a game yet.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 08:21 AM
WeberStreit

Tavares arrived yesterday in Bern. He should play his first game next friday. I'm curious what he can bring. He'll need some time to adjust to the bigger ice and the new league. Here are some stats of the other big name players in Switzerland:

Seguin 3 points in 2 games (1g/2a)
Laich 7 points in 3 games (3/4)
Couture 2 points in 3 games (0/2)
Paciorretty 1 point in 3 games (1/0)
Thornton 5 points in 5 games (1/4)
Nash 3 points in 3 games (3/0)
Spezza 0 points in 3 games

I'm sure Tavares will do just fine. He has had succes everywhere he has been. He's already a fan favorite

WeberStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 11:14 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Still wearing his Islander gloves. What a guy

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 02:08 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeberStreit View Post

Tavares arrived yesterday in Bern. He should play his first game next friday. I'm curious what he can bring. He'll need some time to adjust to the bigger ice and the new league. Here are some stats of the other big name players in Switzerland:

Seguin 3 points in 2 games (1g/2a)
Laich 7 points in 3 games (3/4)
Couture 2 points in 3 games (0/2)
Paciorretty 1 point in 3 games (1/0)
Thornton 5 points in 5 games (1/4)
Nash 3 points in 3 games (3/0)
Spezza 0 points in 3 games

I'm sure Tavares will do just fine. He has had succes everywhere he has been. He's already a fan favorite

You guys will fall in love with him. Also his hard work and character will rub off on the teams regulars.

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 11:22 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Nice article about Tavares in Bern:

http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2012...the-poster-boy

His contract is $50,000/month to insure, but he's being paid a little over $100 US/month to play.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 01:19 PM
StumpNYI

I can't find any way to watch the game but I did find this if people want to follow the action. Based on this alone it looks like Tavares is playing. He is on the roster list anyways. Wish I knew what line he was playing on and his ice time.

http://www.scoresway.com/?sport=hock...atch&id=104251

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 01:57 PM
JERMIC

Tavares is on a line with Rubin and Ryan Gardner! (+Josi as defensman)

JERMIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 03:41 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Nice article about Tavares in Bern:

http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2012...the-poster-boy

His contract is $50,000/month to insure, but he's being paid a little over $100 US/month to play.
Bern's new hero landed in Kloten [Zurich Airport] Tuesday morning at 6.30 am. He then completed a first ice training. In the evening he also experienced the 1:3 defeat in Fribourg. John Tavares talks about his first long SCB day like only a poster boy would. He was very well received. He was impressed by the fans' passion and the spectators' enthusiasm is a distinctive characteristic of Swiss hockey. "I've already experienced it last spring while playing for Team Canada in Fribourg."

After reading this article I feel like a jealous and protective husband who's wife of three years decided to become a stripper and put all the goods on display for others

I miss hockey and I miss Johnny

Old
10-05-2012, 05:40 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
After reading this article I feel like a jealous and protective husband who's wife of three years decided to become a stripper and put all the goods on display for others

He's making $100/mo, he can use the tips!

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 05:42 PM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Bern's new hero landed in Kloten [Zurich Airport] Tuesday morning at 6.30 am. He then completed a first ice training. In the evening he also experienced the 1:3 defeat in Fribourg. John Tavares talks about his first long SCB day like only a poster boy would. He was very well received. He was impressed by the fans' passion and the spectators' enthusiasm is a distinctive characteristic of Swiss hockey. "I've already experienced it last spring while playing for Team Canada in Fribourg."

Good way of putting it I have the biggest man crush on JT

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 12:43 AM
Dangery

Video from the game Zug - Bern:

http://www.sport.sf.tv/Nachrichten/A...gang=front_na2

Dangery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 10:44 AM
Tavaresfan91

How'd he play?

Last edited by Tavaresfan91: 10-06-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Tavaresfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 12:17 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresfan91 View Post
How'd he play l'?
Ugly!

**Viewer discretion is advised**

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 01:59 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
Ugly!

**Viewer discretion is advised**

And here's a warning about advertising on NHL jerseys......the boards are bad enough. Try finding the number from the nosebleeds at the Staples Center!

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 10:03 PM
torero

Great player !

I think he had an assist in the 5-1 win over Geneva Servette.

But the guy has an outstanding class !

Thank you !

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 10:14 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by torero View Post
Great player !

I think he had an assist in the 5-1 win over Geneva Servette.

But the guy has an outstanding class !

Thank you !

Two assists, but who's counting

Thank StumpNYI for the link.

And GO BERN! (love the way that sounds)

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 10:31 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

I'm not a huge fan of going after RFAs, but if playing with Streit and JT can influence Josi to come here... I'm all for it.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 01:37 AM
Dangery

Great Goal from Josi against Geneva:

http://www.sport.sf.tv/Nachrichten/A...gang=front_na7

Dangery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 01:45 PM
torero

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I'm not a huge fan of going after RFAs, but if playing with Streit and JT can influence Josi to come here... I'm all for it.
Josi is likely to play in the line with Shea Weber at the predators when the seasonERRRR NHL hockey will start again. Last 2nd half of season, he was on the 2nd line and since Suter left, he inherits the place.
And, yes, he was and is impressive.

I believe that if the lockout persists, and that these players stay in Bern, Bern will be the strongest contender for the cup.

Among other thanks to ... Tavares ! and the other Swiss/NHL players back to the roots.

Thanks again

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 02:05 AM
WeberStreit

Tavares played really good. He had some nice dekes where he went through the defense. You should have seen the excitment in Tavares' and Streit's face when Bern scored the first goal.

Geneva did really traged Tavares the whole game. Nothing really bad happend, but you could clearly see, they went after him (Geneva got 11 minor penalties called). Tavares kept cool, until the last minute of the game, when he cross checked an opposing player during a break.

WeberStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 09:24 AM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Odd seeing JT in those colors...and hodge podged advertisements.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 11:55 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:

Tavares played really good. He had some nice dekes where he went through the defense. You should have seen the excitment in Tavares' and Streit's face when Bern scored the first goal.

Geneva did really traged Tavares the whole game. Nothing really bad happend, but you could clearly see, they went after him (Geneva got 11 minor penalties called). Tavares kept cool, until the last minute of the game, when he cross checked an opposing player during a break.
Not surprised,

Tavares tends to get the opposition frustrated .

Also he is a cool calm and collected player but he is also one of the most fierce competitors I have ever seen so he will lash out if pushed into a corner. Anyway we LOVE him here on LI and he represents everything you would want in a player,leader,son, and person.

I hope he stays healthy and does not take a cheap shot from anyone.

Old
10-08-2012, 01:59 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post

Two assists, but who's counting

Thank StumpNYI for the link.

And GO BERN! (love the way that sounds)
I've got something better:

We don't need no water, let the blahblahblahblah BERN, BERN blahblahblahblah, BERN!

Quote:

Thanks for the update, keem them coming.

Question about the league... what's the deal with Enforcers or policing on the ice? I'm curious if there is some sort of deterrent from JT getting run all game.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 04:50 PM
TheNeutrality
Living out a lie

vCash: 50
Quote:
I've got something better:

We don't need no water, let the blahblahblahblah BERN, BERN blahblahblahblah, BERN!

Thanks for the update, keem them coming.

Question about the league... what's the deal with Enforcers or policing on the ice? I'm curious if there is some sort of deterrent from JT getting run all game.
The NLA is rather "soft", since there is no team that uses pure "Enforcers". Of course, there are guys like Josh Holden who like to distribute some cheap shots, but that's it. Fights are not regularly seen, and even when there's a fight, it's in a typical Euro-"keep your gear on"-style.

And you don't have to be afraid when it comes hard hits. There are very few players that throw big hits, and they don't do it often. Actually, Shawn Heins and Beat Forster are the only ones that are "prone" to throw some big, sometimes dirty, hits. And Forster is hurt at the moment ().

The refs punish roughing strictly over here.

You don't have to be afraid, Hans will be fine.

Last edited by TheNeutrality: 10-08-2012 at 04:55 PM.
TheNeutrality is offline   Reply With Quote