HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

The Battle of Ontario!

View Poll Results: Better team over next 10 years - Ott vs Tor
Sens Fan Voting Ottawa 63 26.92%
Ottawa 128 54.70%
Leafs Fan Voting Toronto 24 10.26%
Leafs 19 8.12%
Voters: 234. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-08-2012, 02:11 PM
Samsquanch
Creep

vCash: 500
The Battle of Ontario!

Happy Thanksgiving Day Folks!

It's next to impossible for a Leafs fan and Sens fan to answer any question concerning their teams without injecting just a little bit homerism. So HFboards I ask for your help in deciding the answer!

Who in your opinion will be the stronger team of the two moving forward post lockout? Lets give this question a 10 year period, beacause its pretty hard to guess after that.

Your decision should consider numerous factors such as who is currently signed, and in the lineup right now? Who has the better stable of prospects? Who will/could be leaving soon as FA's or retiring?

I'll give you a little help with some quick lists below, but keep in mind I am a Sens fan, so if you se any bias or anything else wrong with what you see, feel free to contribute yourself.

Key Players currently on the Roster

Ottawa

Jason Spezza
Erik Karlsson
Daniel Alfredsson
Milan Michalek
Kyle Turris
Jared Cowen
Colin Greening
Guillaume Latendresse
Mark Mehot
Craig Anderson (G)
Mika Zibanejad*
Jakob Silverberg*
Mark Stone*

*Potentials to make the team this year

Toronto

Phil Kessel
Dion Phaneuf
Jake Gardiner
JVR
Joffrey Lupul
Michael Grabovski
Tyler Bozak
Tim Connolly
Clark McArthur
James Reimer (G)
Nazem Kadri*
Joe Colborne*
Jerry D'Amigo*

Top 10 Prospects

Ottawa

Mika Zibanejad
Jakob Silfverberg
Robin Lehner
Mark Stone
Cod Ceci
Stefan Noesen
Matt Peumple
Jean-Gabriel Pageau
Shane Prince
Andre Petersson

HM: Bishop, Weircioch, Da Costa, Borowiecki, Hoffman, Claesson, Maidens

Toronto

Morgan Reilly
Nazem Kadri
Joe Colborne
Tyler Biggs
Matt Fin
Jerry D'Amigo
Stuart Percy
Greg Mckegg
Brad Ross
Carter Ashton

HM: Levio, Deschamps, Blacker

To prove Im not completley biased I'd like to point out that Alfredsson, Gonchar and Phillips are all getting up there on Ottawa. But thats the kind of faith I have in our prospect depth, because over the next 10 years we're going to need it.

I personally feel that not only does Ottawa have a stronger team currently, with better stars on both forward and D, and better goaltending, but they also have a much more impressive stable of prospects.

Reilly is the only prospect I would trade one of our top 5 for, and you would be hard pressed to get me to trade any of our top 10 for Joe Colborne (leafs # number 3).

Samsquanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 02:21 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Right now it's probably Ottawa, but Toronto has a lot of high-risk, high reward prospects. If next season JVR, Kadri, and Colborne manage to reach expectations, and Rielly shows he's completely over his injury, that could change.

So I'd say Ottawa is the better team, and will probably be the better team, but Toronto has more raw potential.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 02:22 PM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsquanch View Post
Happy Thanksgiving Day Folks!

It's next to impossible for a Leafs fan and Sens fan to answer any question concerning their teams without injecting just a little bit homerism. So HFboards I ask for your help in deciding the answer!

Who in your opinion will be the stronger team of the two moving forward post lockout? Lets give this question a 10 year period, beacause its pretty hard to guess after that.

Your decision should consider numerous factors such as who is currently signed, and in the lineup right now? Who has the better stable of prospects? Who will/could be leaving soon as FA's or retiring?

I'll give you a little help with some quick lists below, but keep in mind I am a Sens fan, so if you se any bias or anything else wrong with what you see, feel free to contribute yourself.

Key Players currently on the Roster

Ottawa

Jason Spezza
Erik Karlsson
Daniel Alfredsson
Milan Michalek
Kyle Turris
Jared Cowen
Colin Greening
Guillaume Latendresse
Mark Mehot
Craig Anderson (G)
Mika Zibanejad*
Jakob Silverberg*
Mark Stone*

*Potentials to make the team this year

Toronto

Phil Kessel
Dion Phaneuf
Jake Gardiner
JVR
Joffrey Lupul
Michael Grabovski
Tyler Bozak
Tim Connolly
Clark McArthur
James Reimer (G)
Nazem Kadri*
Joe Colborne*
Jerry D'Amigo*

Top 10 Prospects

Ottawa

Mika Zibanejad
Jakob Silfverberg
Robin Lehner
Mark Stone
Cod Ceci
Stefan Noesen
Matt Peumple
Jean-Gabriel Pageau
Shane Prince
Andre Petersson

HM: Bishop, Weircioch, Da Costa, Borowiecki, Hoffman, Claesson, Maidens

Toronto

Morgan Reilly
Nazem Kadri
Joe Colborne
Tyler Biggs
Matt Fin
Jerry D'Amigo
Stuart Percy
Greg Mckegg
Brad Ross
Carter Ashton

HM: Levio, Deschamps, Blacker

To prove Im not completley biased I'd like to point out that Alfredsson, Gonchar and Phillips are all getting up there on Ottawa. But thats the kind of faith I have in our prospect depth, because over the next 10 years we're going to need it.

I personally feel that not only does Ottawa have a stronger team currently, with better stars on both forward and D, and better goaltending, but they also have a much more impressive stable of prospects.

Reilly is the only prospect I would trade one of our top 5 for, and you would be hard pressed to get me to trade any of our top 10 for Joe Colborne (leafs # number 3).

Colborne went through a rough path of injuries which all started in December and lasted till April in which he almost severed his finger during the Marlies playoff run (it was hanging off a piece of skin at one point) But shortly before all of those injuries, he was named AHL player of the month.

So why don't you wait until he plays a full season until you start writing him off and implying that he's a bust?

Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 02:30 PM
Samsquanch
Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhorse1280 View Post
Colborne went through a rough path of injuries which all started in December and last till April in which he almost severed his finger during the Marlies playoff run (it was hanging off a piece of skin at one point) But shortly before all of those injuries, he was named AHL player of the month.

So why don't you wait until he plays a full season until you start writing him off and imply that he's a bust?
Hey its just my opinion, I didnt call him a bust at all. I just like every guy oin Ottawa's top 10 over him. This wasnt his first time playing hockey last year, he's been around for a little while now and has stagnated slightly in my opinion.

Do I think every guy on Ottawa's list is better than him and have better chances to make it, well no. But I dont think Joe will every be a real offensive dynamo in the NHL. I think if Petersson, Prince or Puemple do ever end up making it, it will be because they're lighting the lamp regularly.

We already have a plethora of great depth guys in Ottawa, we need a few more top end scorers.

Old
10-08-2012, 02:48 PM
mytor4*

Where's the ..neither will amount to much option?

Sorry i forget the

On the vote i regretfully had to pick the Leafs while mistakenly hitting the Sens button.

Last edited by mytor4*: 10-08-2012 at 03:03 PM.
mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 02:49 PM
bp spec

vCash: 50
Ottawa

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 02:53 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

The only legit star forward on Ottawa is Spezza, so I don't see how they have "stronger" star forwards. Perhaps a better blend (skill, grit, experience, etc)..

Would pick Ottawa at this point, from the looks of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
Where's the ..neither will amount to much option?
So, just ahead of Montreal?

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 02:53 PM
Raging Bull

Ten years is a long time. Too much can change in that period to have a concrete answer. Over the next 5 years I'd vote Ottawa as a Leafs fan.

Raging Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 02:58 PM
Samsquanch
Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
The only legit star forward on Ottawa is Spezza, so I don't see how they have "stronger" star forwards. Perhaps a better blend of forwards (skill, grit, experience, etc)..

Would pick Ottawa at this point, from the looks of things.

So, just ahead of Montreal?
Spezza, Michalek, Alfredsson, Turris >> Kessel, Lupul, Bozak, Grabovski and Spezza is a better/bigger star than than Kessel. Happy

Old
10-08-2012, 02:59 PM
topshelf15

Not much of a battle really,Ottawa has shown some progress in moving forward ,whereas Toronto looks to stay out of the bottom 10 in the league fifth time in 5 years

topshelf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 03:01 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Spezza, Michalek, Alfredsson, Turris >> Kessel, Lupul, Bozak, Grabovski and Spezza is a better/bigger star than than Kessel. Happy
Grabovski-Lupul>>Turris-Michalek

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 03:06 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Quote:
I disagree, it's close, especially if you replace Bozak with JVR.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 03:08 PM
topshelf15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophorus View Post
Lupal=Michalek decent but oft injured wingers ,Grabs does get the >than turris for now but KT is younger and can still reach grab,s level of production so its close

Old
10-08-2012, 03:14 PM
topshelf15

Quote:
Him like Latandress in ottawa are in the unknown tier for me ,you can bank on a 45 to 55 point season from bozac whereas JVR brings intrigue and little else at this point

Old
10-08-2012, 03:17 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planck View Post
Toronto gets overlooked because of how they've performed of late, but they have some great pieces going forward. There's not much separating the two teams, as much as it pains me to say it.
As of late? they've sucked for like 6 years in a row now.
Not much separating? Ottawa makes the playoffs in a "rebuilding" year while the leafs, yet again, miss the playoffs in a "we're for sure gonna make the playoffs this year" year.

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 03:33 PM
Evincar
Your Final Judgement

Ottawa easily. Toronto is one of the worst managed teams in the league.

Quote:
Grabs is 28 and Lupul is 29. Turris is 23 and Michalek is 27. I would take the latter for the next 10 years.

Last edited by Evincar: 10-08-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 03:39 PM
Seth Rollins
Mr Money In The Bank

Ottawa. Not even close.

Seth Rollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 03:50 PM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyutinMyOwnHorn View Post
Ottawa. Not even close.
This sorry Leaf fans this one was destined to fail.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 03:58 PM
topshelf15

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roffler View Post
As of late? they've sucked for like 6 years in a row now.
Not much separating? Ottawa makes the playoffs in a "rebuilding" year while the leafs, yet again, miss the playoffs in a "we're for sure gonna make the playoffs this year" year.
I have watched hockey for over 30 years ,and this sentance rings the most true .How many top 10 picks have the leafs had work out in the last 20 years ,the answer is not many to none .So excuse me leaf fans, if me as well as many here will remain skeptical.As to Reilly,s potential as compared to most others top 10 picks drafted by other teams .

He has tallent we can all agree ,but how many at his age will be poked and prodded by a hockey mad media and fanbase that has no equal on the planet.This is and has been the biggest hurdle for many a great young player to overcome ,and judging by the leaf track record both recently and in the past i dont see this getting any easier for any kids coming through the leaf system,no matter how tallented they may be

Old
10-08-2012, 03:59 PM
Samsquanch
Creep

Quote:
I think most people would prefer Turris and Michalek going forward, maybe Im wrong but I certainly know I would. Turris easily has the potential to be the best of the bunch, but I'd take him over Grabovski any day of the week. His ceiling is much, much higher.

Out of Michalek and Lupul, at least when Michalek isnt scoring he's still a big strong guy who skates like the wind and is defensively responsible. The same cannot be said of Lupul.

Quote:
But when you add in Zibanjad and Silfverberg, who were both expected to make the team this year and one or both play in the top 6, I still take the Sens quite easily. The leafs are not a bad team offensively, but Ottawa was quite a bit better last year and I dont see that changing at all.

Much like JVR we have Latandress as an unknown wildcard, and while I give the edge to JVR in that match, Zibby and Silfverberg blow away Kadri and Colborne when you think about the actual impact they might have.

My whole point is that top to bottom the Sens are in better shape because of a number of factors.

-Have a legit top 10 #1 Center (Spezza)
-Have a legit #2 center who has a pile of room left to grow (Turris), and a steady #3 (Smith)
-Have a legit #1 Superstar/Norris Caliber Dman, 22 years old (Karlsson)
-Have a legit #1 Goalie (Anderson)
-Incredible prospect depth at all positions, primarily Wingers, our biggest area of need (Zibby, Silfverberg, Noesen, Puemple, Prince, Petersson)
-Two very highly touted goatending prospects, 1 that could very easily reach star status (Lehner, Bishop)

The leafs have none of those things, aside from a couple of #2 centerman who will shock a lot of people if they ever get much better.

The Sens have the makeup of a great franchise. The leafs not so much. Not until they get a goalie can they even be considered close.

Last edited by Samsquanch: 10-08-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old
10-08-2012, 04:16 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Easily Ottawa...

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 04:29 PM
TrillMike

Ottawa

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 04:34 PM
Stick To Your Guns

Ottawa, Kessel and JVR are two nice pieces, but you don't build around them. Gardiner looks good, but he's only had one season. While Karlsson is a Norris winner.

Stick To Your Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 05:38 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Ottawa.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 05:51 PM
lakai17