HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Most One-sided Trade of All-Time?

Old
10-08-2012, 03:33 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
23 Years of Fail

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachycineta View Post
I hardly feel that trades for 5th round picks who ended up being great players (Benn, Miller) are really that lopsided. The team giving up the pick probably doesn't care and wouldn't have drafted those players anyways. Yes, they were great picks and 5th round steals but it doesn't make them lopsided.

Agreed. That's why a trade like Naslund for Stoyanov (Naslund was a good player at the time and Stoyanov was a goon, I have no idea what Pittsburgh was thinking) stands out for me over the ones that involved draft picks that turned out to be great.

Tkachuk4MVP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 03:42 PM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_OReilly_Fan View Post
i dont consider it one sided at all... you can argue boston might have been able to get more, but thornton HAD to be dealt. With him, we had a loser locker room. He and his friends ran Scatchard out of town because they wanted to take it easy and Scatchard got upset because he wanted to win.

the trade was done to begin a rebuilding process. we needed to ship out the guys willing to play soft/and take losing easy. We needed to bring in a new core of guys hungry to win.

and just a few years later we won a cup and have had alot of playoff success. You can argue that it was all dumb luck and that MOC did the trade and then got fired over it... but Id say a trade like this doesnt get made without ownership involved.

Thornton has obviously had a great career of scoring alot of points... being one hell of a playmaker. He has never evalated his game at playoff time. He has shown alot of loyalty to San Jose. I guess he loves to surf? I dont think San Jose is known for being a wonderful playoff team though. Boston wasnt when Joe played for us either.

We didnt get much talent back for Joe... but we ended up with a good locker room. We saved alot of cap room and used the money to afford Chara/Savard So we still had a great playmaking center and we got a much better leader that was hungry to win.

Id say... it was all part of a grand plan to change the team... and the changes were better... so the trade might not be the best we possibly could have made but it was still for the best
I dunno if you've watched Joe in the last couple years but he's been the Sharks best forward during the playoffs consistently. He's become a two way force, I think he actually has more defensive zone starts than offensive zone starts and I don't think I've seen him shy away from plays along the boards for years. He's not the player you knew in Boston but he's better all around player now.

He's no choker either, he's won the Spengler cup and he's won world championships and the gold at the olympics. Are you going to argue that he won the Spengler because he played against a bunch of lower tiered players? That would be disingenuous because SC Bern had Briere, Heatley, Savard, and other guys. How come they didn't win the Spengler, because it's a "team sport" right? That's why Danny Briere hasn't won a Stanley Cup even though he's a "playoff performer". Same goes for Joe, even if he performs, doesn't mean everyone else gets going as well even though they should.

There are 2 years where Joe has 0 points in the playoffs. His rookie season and the year before the lockout when he played with torn cartilage. In the 2010 playoffs, he played without the tip of his pinky and eventually a separated shoulder. That's what I'd call being a warrior. If that's not having the will to win then I don't know what that is.

hohosaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 03:45 PM
MessierII

Lindros trade

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 03:46 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

Kris Draper for 1 Dollar gets my vote. I'm not sure you can get better millage out of a dollar than what Kris draper gave to the Wings.

DatsyukToZetterberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 04:04 PM
exporta

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman rules View Post
Spoken like a true leaf fanYou can have your 100 point players that go invisible every playoff year,his track record is terrible but then again your content with a guy like Kessel right?
Kessel was coming off an impressive first round performance, I believe he had 7pts in 7g, when we traded for him. That is, after battling cancer the previously. He hasn't made the playoffs in Toronto, but I wouldn't label him as a player that doesn't show up to big games.

Maybe he won't ever single handedly win us a game, but there is a lot to like in a player of his skill.

exporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 04:24 PM
cashman rules*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingForsberg View Post
What did Neely ever win as a player?
Missed 2 cups to the mighty oilers but was the most prolific power forward off all time,don't even mention Thorntons name with Neely's.

cashman rules* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 04:28 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Missed 2 cups to the mighty oilers but was the most prolific power forward off all time,don't even mention Thorntons name with Neely's.
Gordie Howe?

10-08-2012, 05:20 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Thornton is and has been better than Neely, quite easily.

And yeah... Gordie Howe was considered by many to be better than Cam Neely.

I'd put Eric Lindros up there too. Brendan Shanahan if we use career value.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 06:31 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagorim Jarg View Post
Thornton is and has been better than Neely, quite easily.

And yeah... Gordie Howe was considered by many to be better than Cam Neely.

I'd put Eric Lindros up there too. Brendan Shanahan if we use career value.
Agreed. I would have Iginla ahead of him as well.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 06:39 PM
pdd

Quote:
Just a couple names...

Gordie Howe
Maurice Richard
Eric Lindros
Phil Esposito
Ted Lindsay
Bobby Clarke
Jarome Iginla
Brendan Shanahan
Kevin Stevens

I'm sure there are more that I missed.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 02:30 AM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdonova33 View Post
In your opinion, what was the most one-sided trade in the history of the NHL?
Gretzky to LA, because it was Gretzky. I could care less if the Oil managed to win 1 more Cup, if 99 had stayed around they probably could have won another 2-3 at least.

Also, Pronger to Anaheim from Edmonton. At the time it was a brutally one sided trade and the pieces have only now just begun to show their worth. People can say Lowe may have fleeced STL for Pronger in the first place and that may be true, but Lowe essentially handed Burke and the Ducks the Stanley Cup with that deal, right off the bat. The Ducks were dominant that year, and it wasn't that close really. Pronger leaving Edmonton is a major part of why Edmonton is where they are today, or you could say is partially responsible for why the Oilers were forced into this "rebuild" or whatever you want to call it.

The team and the city is just beginning toget over it now. I don't think people quite understand how damaging that trade was, it transcended hockey to an extent and left a bad mark on the city, not just the franchise.

Last edited by Philly85: 10-09-2012 at 02:35 AM.
Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 02:34 AM
FissionFire

Chalk up my vote for Red Kelly to Toronto for 47 games of Marc Reaume. Why is that you ask? Exactly my point lol.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 02:36 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Gretzky to LA, because it was Gretzky. I could care less if the Oil managed to win 1 more Cup, if 99 had stayed around they probably could have won another 2-3 at least.

Also, Pronger to Anaheim from Edmonton. At the time it was a brutally one sided trade and the pieces have only now just begun to show their worth. People can say Lowe may have fleeced STL for Pronger in the first place and that may be true, but Lowe essentially handed Burke and the Ducks the Stanley Cup with that deal, right off the bat. The Ducks were dominant that year, and it wasn't that close really.
Eberle makes that deal a lot closer
Smid is one of the better d-ma no matter what the oiler haters say
and the oilers have d -man named Martin Marincin to show for the deal

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 04:58 AM
clydesdale line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundermare View Post
Just remembered this one

Phil Esposito, Ken Hodge and Fred Stanfield for Gilles Marotte, Hubert "Pit" Martin and Jack Norris

Seriously!!!!!
Yea this one is the winner. That trade alone sent the Blackhawks franchise down a decade.

clydesdale line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 05:03 AM
Fire Dumboer

The Kovalchuk trade

Fire Dumboer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 05:44 AM
Qvist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Schuler View Post
Ron Francis, Ulf Samuelsson and Grant Jennings for John Cullen, Jeff Parker and Zarley Zalapski.
That's not even in the top 10. Cullen had several great offensive seasons after the trade and was the Whalers 1st line center, and Zalapski was a legitimate top 4 defenseman. The Whalers badly lost the trade of course, but there was much too much value coming their way for the trade to be considered one-sided to such an extent. You can't compare that to the many examples of really great players going for practically no return, like f.e. Naslund or Dominik Hasek did.

Qvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 05:49 AM
Qvist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post

Also, Pronger to Anaheim from Edmonton. At the time it was a brutally one sided trade and the pieces have only now just begun to show their worth. People can say Lowe may have fleeced STL for Pronger in the first place and that may be true, but Lowe essentially handed Burke and the Ducks the Stanley Cup with that deal, right off the bat. The Ducks were dominant that year, and it wasn't that close really. Pronger leaving Edmonton is a major part of why Edmonton is where they are today, or you could say is partially responsible for why the Oilers were forced into this "rebuild" or whatever you want to call it.

The team and the city is just beginning toget over it now. I don't think people quite understand how damaging that trade was, it transcended hockey to an extent and left a bad mark on the city, not just the franchise.
"One-sided" by definition means a trade where one side got pretty much all the value, and the other got pretty much nothing. Neither of these trades were one-sided, let alone the most one-sided trades in NHL history.

Old
10-09-2012, 06:09 AM
Qvist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachycineta View Post
I hardly feel that trades for 5th round picks who ended up being great players (Benn, Miller) are really that lopsided. The team giving up the pick probably doesn't care and wouldn't have drafted those players anyways. Yes, they were great picks and 5th round steals but it doesn't make them lopsided.
The thing with draft picks when you asess value in a trade is to bear in mind that they are the only kind of asset where what the receiving team gets is not the same thing as what the giving team gives up. In the Pronger trade, Anaheim gave up a (probably low) 1st-round pick, while Edmonton ended up with Jordan Eberle. Anaheim didn't give up Jordan Eberle, they gave up whoever it was they would have drafted with that pick (which is extremely likely to have been someone other than Eberle).

How one handles that depends on the exact nature of the question being discussed. If you discuss the trade decision as such, then it's value at the time of the trade that counts. In such a case, the draft pick has to be considered at it's value as an asset, and it is irrelevant to both sides which player the pick ultimately resulted in.

If you discuss the impact the trade had on either team, then you must consider what the pick resulted in for the team who got it and used it to select a player, but for the team who gave the pick up, you still have to look at it as a pick with a certain asset value. The resulting player remains irrelevant, because he's not what that team gave up.

If you discuss who won the trade, then that's a zero-sum game logic, which makes it impossible (or rather, meaningless) to define the value in one way for one team and in another way for the other (since each team's gain is by definition the other's loss). So, in such discussions, you also have to stick to the pick's asset value for both teams.

A general exception to all of this would be the very top picks, where it can be very predictable which player the pick will result in.

Old
10-09-2012, 06:27 AM
Qvist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
The chart goes out of its way to make it seem bad though. For example from the first set of trades alone (underlined guys not mentioned in the trades):

-Thibault wasn't traded by himself for Roy and Keane, he was shipped with two young 25-30 goal scorers (Rucinsky and Kovalenko)
-Ricci was traded along with a 2nd (bust) for a 1st and Donovan
-Hextall was traded with a 1st (Todd Bertuzzi) for Fitzpatrick + 1st (Deadmarsh)
-Nolan Baumgartner was traded with Butcher + Sundin + Warriner for Clarke, Lefebvre, Wilson, and a 1st (bust)

Leaving out the fact that the Avs traded Sundin, Bertuzzi, Rucinsky, and Kovalenko sure makes things seem better for the Avs than they actually were...and that's just in the first set of trades...

The Avs dynasty was mostly built around the fact that they had drafted Sakic, Sundin, Foote, Nolan, then Lindros (and to a lesser extent Thibault) within a short time span along with getting key support players such as Kemensky and Kovalenko late in those same drafts. That's two first-ballot HHOFers (Sakic and Sundin), two potential HHOFers (Nolan and Lindros), and two all-stars (Foote and Thibault) and their GM had the balls to move key players in order to fill positions of need.
This is a good example of the trouble you get into if you ignore what I take up in my above post. What exactly is being evaluated here? If the Avs made a good trade with the Lindros deal, as far as anyone could foresee at the time? The ultimate effect of the trade on the Avs? The ultimate effect of the trade on other teams? Who won that trade, or the several spin-off trades connected with it? Because that impacts on how to make the comparison. In any case, no matter which you choose, there are problems with your comparison. The Avs didn't trade Todd Bertuzzi, or a 2nd round bust.

Old
10-09-2012, 06:51 AM
Qvist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Lundqvist View Post
Rick Middleton for Ken Hodge.

Petr Nedved and Sergei Zubov (One year removed from scoring 89 points) for Luc Robitaille and Ulf Samuelsson.
Dude, you need to look up the definition of "one-sided", which the bottom trade at least isn't at all. Robitaille and Samuelsson is a major return.

Old
10-09-2012, 06:58 AM
pigpen65

Ray Sheppard for $1 dollar.

pigpen65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 07:40 AM
nik jr

habs traded rights to 17 year old future HHOFer ted kennedy

to TML for

rights to 22 year old frank eddolls, a mediocre d-man

ted kennedy became a elite 2 way C, captain of TML, elite faceoff man, and probably the most important member of TML's late '40s/early '50s dynasty. slow skater, though.

kennedy won 5 stanley cups ('45, '47, '48, '49, '51), was the leading playoff scorer from '45-'51, and HHOF said kennedy would have won 3 conn smythes if they had existed during his career.

ted kennedy also won the hart trophy in '55, but i think that was probably undeserved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Terry Sawchuk to or from Detroit... in general.

From Detroit:
G Terry Sawchuk, (age 24)in his prime and the best goalie in the world.
LW Vic Stasiuk (age 25)
LW/RW Marcel Bonin (age 21)
RW Lorne Davis (age 25)

Traded From Boston:
LW Ed Sandford (age 26)
LW Real Chevrefils (age 22)
C/RW Norm Corcoran (age 23)
G Gilles Boisvert (age 22)
D Warren Godfrey (age 24)

The second best player in that deal was Stasiuk. Boisvert never played a game in the NHL, and Godfrey and Corcoran only played 2 each for the Wings before going to Boston and for free, respectively. Chevrefils played 38 games in one season with Detroit. Sandford only played 4, being dealt almost immediately to Chicago to reacquire C Metro Prystai - who had been traded a year earlier for Davis. No picks or other players in either deal.

So Prystai=Davis=Sanford=Prystai. That plus Boisvert never playing and Godfrey basically never playing for Detroit means Sawchuk+Stasiuk+Bonin=Cheverfils.

Terrible.

Fast-forward two years. This is the killer.

From Detroit:
LW Johnny Bucyk (age 22)
Cash

To Detroit:
G Terry Sawchuk (age 27)

Bucyk, as we all know, scored 545 goals and 1339 points for Boston in 1436 GP, with a peak 51-65-116 season in 1970-71

The Wings had just dealt Sawchuk away for scraps two years prior. Sawchuk would play three more years as the clear starter before becoming a tandem goalie with Hank Bassen (who?) and then being claimed by Toronto in the Intra-League draft in 1964; Detroit would continue on with Roger Crozier while Sawchuk was claimed by Los Angeles in the 1967 expansion. He played one year as a King before...

To Detroit:
G Terry Sawchuk (age 37)

To LA:
C Jimmy Peters

He played out one final year as a Wing, and was then traded away again.

To NYR:
G Terry Sawchuk (age 39)
LW Sandy Snow (age 22)

To Detroit:
LW Larry Jeffrey (age 28)

Jeffrey, yet another re-acquisition, would be involved in an auto accident that fall and did not play another NHL game after the trade. The Rangers ended up effectively getting Sawchuk for free.
i think there was a worse trade by DRW at that time.

glenn hall and ted lindsay

for

johnny wilson (a good role player), hank bassen (backup goalie), forbes kennedy (decent depth player), and bill preston (never played in NHL)

2 legends for 4 depth players. hall's career after '57 was much better than sawchuk's. lindsay was traded b/c of his leadership in the union, and was getting older, but '57 was his career high in points.

loss of bucyk and then lindsay made DRW much weaker at LW.

i remember reading that ted lindsay said there was talk of trading sawchuk for harvey or plante.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 08:35 AM
Henkka

Chris Chelios for Anders Eriksson + 1st pick (G Adam Munro) 1st pick (D Steve McCarthy)

Chelios played for 10 years, won 2 Stanley Cups and is now developing the Red Wings prospects for the future years with his enormous knowledge from NHL hockey.

Value effect = +30 years.

Same comes to Draper for dollar. Draper joined Wings management and there is still value that his experience and leadership will flow forward when developing young forwards.

These are moves that will keep Red Wings strong and competitive from decade to decade. You trade for a winner, and the youngsters learn from the best and will become winners at the next generation. This goes on and on if you can keep the right guys on the management.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 09:01 AM
Mini6767

Not sure if already mentioned but carter anson for jagr in 2004
That was a steal for the rangers lol

Mini6767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 07:24 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

Quote:
Most prolific power forward of all time? He's well behind Lindros, Howe and others. Hey at least Thornton won a Hart trophy and an Art Ross and a Gold Medal. More than Neely could say.

Last edited by King Forsberg: 10-09-2012 at 09:24 PM.
King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote