HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Our Centers

Old
09-28-2012, 11:59 AM
stokes84

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Our Centers

Edit: Sorry for the presentation. I was hoping this would be more of a comparison of our pipeline vs. Other teams, rather than a discussion about the trade idea.

In debating with someone on the trade board about a Tyler Myers for Jason Spezza trade, I began to think about our young pipeline of centers. My argument was, why would we trade 7 years of Myers for 2 years of Spezza when we have the up and coming centers in our pipeline. In the coming years, we can have 3-4 potential top centers with Myers setup to be a long term no. 1 dman.

My point is, even though we might see some growing pains if we play this season, are we setup to have the strongest group of centers in the NHL in the near future? Do you think we have the strongest group of young centers in the league with Ennis, Hodgson, Grigorenko and Girgensons?

Last edited by stokes84: 09-28-2012 at 01:24 PM.
stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 12:11 PM

I probably wouldn't make that trade because of the age difference and the fact that Myers is locked up for his prime at 5.5.

Also our centres are looking promising and would prefer to let them develop, I think Hodgson is capable of becoming a 1 centre the future. Grigorenko and Ennis both have the potential to be aswell.

Also their are a good number of teams at centre ice than buffalo in the future,

1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 12:51 PM
tsujimoto74

We arguably have 4 centers with top line potential. We have zero defenders with anything even close to Myers' potential.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 01:17 PM
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

Yeah, you probably have to wait on this group. I wouldn't trade Myers for many centers around the league, and the exceptions are those that are just as young and more proven than he is.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 03:20 PM
OkimLom

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Edit: Sorry for the presentation. I was hoping this would be more of a comparison of our pipeline vs. Other teams, rather than a discussion about the trade idea.

In debating with someone on the trade board about a Tyler Myers for Jason Spezza trade, I began to think about our young pipeline of centers. My argument was, why would we trade 7 years of Myers for 2 years of Spezza when we have the up and coming centers in our pipeline. In the coming years, we can have 3-4 potential top centers with Myers setup to be a long term no. 1 dman.

My point is, even though we might see some growing pains if we play this season, are we setup to have the strongest group of centers in the NHL in the near future? Do you think we have the strongest group of young centers in the league with Ennis, Hodgson, Grigorenko and Girgensons?
I like out Depth at center right now. We have Potentially 3 #1 Centers with a solid #2-#3 center with Girgensens. Then we have some solid center depth to fight for that #3-#4 spot. The same problem that we have with our defense(a ton of Quality dmen) is the same problem with our centers. I think Buffalo's next goal should be to get some quality Wingers in the system. Of course, you can use some of those Centers and change them into Wingers better than Wingers into centers.

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 06:10 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

I don't like Spezza at all, so I wouldn't do the deal.

Stop Winnin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 06:36 PM
Dreakon

If NHL 13 has taught me anything.

Our Centers... suck at faceoffs.

Dreakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 07:47 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Based on this year, if it ever happens, we suck at centre. There's nothing there. Nothing. Hodgson, 25 games of Ennis. Rookies. We could have some great depth in few years but not this year. I think Hecht makes team, if healthy. Not joking.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 07:52 PM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
Based on this year, if it ever happens, we suck at centre. There's nothing there. Nothing. Hodgson, 25 games of Ennis. Rookies. We could have some great depth in few years but not this year. I think Hecht makes team, if healthy. Not joking.
the scary thing is ive said the same all offseason unless we commit to Ott as a center not a winger or go back to the Leino at center experiment

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 09:05 PM
Taro Tsujimoto
2 Sam(my)s, 1 avatar

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Taro Tsujimoto
FWIW:

Quote:
Spoke with Cody Hodgson who said this is as good as he's ever physically felt. Best offseason he's ever had. Eager to get going.
https://twitter.com/CraigCustance/st...51338940194816

Taro Tsujimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 11:02 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taro Tsujimoto View Post
I think Hodgson will be one of those players who most benefit from some time in a loaded AHL

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 01:20 PM
Superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
I don't like Spezza at all, so I wouldn't do the deal.
Griorenko is a similar player as Spezza

Superhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 01:45 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhero View Post
Griorenko is a similar player as Spezza
I meant his personality, obviously he is a supremely skilled player and if Grigorenko turns out to be 75% of Spezza, I would be ecstatic.

Also, I wouldn't want to trade Myers for him either.

Stop Winnin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 07:36 PM
Blitz
With the #2 pick...

There is a very short list of centremen that I would deal striaght-up for Myers and Jason Spezza is not on it. Giroux, Crosby/Malkin, Stamkos, or Kopitar are the only possibilities I would even bat an eye at presently.

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote