HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Connecticut Whale/Greenville Road Warriors Thread (AHL, ECHL)

Closed Thread

Old
10-08-2012, 01:38 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Yet we threw Kreider in the middle of the playoffs.
There's an exception to every rule. And so far, according to Leslie, Miller is not proving to be another one. Please also remember that Kreider had 3 years of college experience, plus international play--what experience does Miller have compared to that?

The shorter the season due to the lockout, the fewer inexperienced players there will be on the NHL roster. Unless it's due to injuries.

Old
10-08-2012, 01:54 AM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
There's an exception to every rule. And so far, according to Leslie, Miller is not proving to be another one. Please also remember that Kreider had 3 years of college experience, plus international play--what experience does Miller have compared to that?

The shorter the season due to the lockout, the fewer inexperienced players there will be on the NHL roster. Unless it's due to injuries.
Miller will need time in the AHL, but I question the accuracy of Leslie's scouting report. It's nice that she's doing the coverage, but her opinion on him doesn't square with any of other recent reports we've had. Miller has lots of room to improve still, but he definitely looked like he belonged in the the pre-season game on Saturday.

Also, Cerny had completely different take on the game from Leslie's:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cerny
JT Miller scored his second goal of the pre-season, ripping a power play shot home from the left circle in the first period. Miller bounced back from a so-so performance Saturday with a strong all-around outing on Sunday. A real good sign for the 19 year-old rookie pro.

http://blueshirtsunited.com/photos/1...off-to-kreider

Last edited by Zil: 10-08-2012 at 02:13 AM.
Old
10-08-2012, 06:35 AM
Ola

I want moving pictures of this...

Old
10-08-2012, 06:38 AM
Ola

Quote:

I've thought about maybe start a thread on this at the main board, but does anyone remember the thoughts and conclusions from 95' as regards how players that sat at home waiting for the season to start looked in relation to players that played in the minors/Europe etc?

I don't really remember anything...

...because normally it does take some time to get going, and if camp is like 1 week, who knows how well guys like Halpern and co would be able to compete with a JT Miller who is in mid-season form.

Old
10-08-2012, 08:26 AM
Johnny8242

Send a message via AIM to Johnny8242
Greenville takes on South Carolina @ The Ice Palace , In North Charleston. Not sure there is much media coverage with it being in their practice barn. I'll give all the details I can though. I expect some of these borderline prospects to be get a lot of PT tonight.

Old
10-08-2012, 12:36 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I've thought about maybe start a thread on this at the main board, but does anyone remember the thoughts and conclusions from 95' as regards how players that sat at home waiting for the season to start looked in relation to players that played in the minors/Europe etc?

I don't really remember anything...

...because normally it does take some time to get going, and if camp is like 1 week, who knows how well guys like Halpern and co would be able to compete with a JT Miller who is in mid-season form.
I don't recall it being an issue then and I doubt it will be an issue going forward. Veteran players are not stupid, they are ready to play now and will keep that level of fitness throughtout the lockout, especially knowing that they will have to prove their readiness to play Tortorella's style of play.

Old
10-08-2012, 02:40 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Game highlights from yesterday

http://video.rangers.nhl.com/videoce...=765&id=187687

Old
10-08-2012, 03:24 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

One thing that I noticed from the interview of Kreider on his hattrick is how ambitious he is. He is completely unhappy with his game - after coming off a hattrick and basically said that it was meaningless. That's always a good sign. I don't think this guy will ever coast.

Old
10-08-2012, 08:27 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:

Miller seemed to play well for the Whale this preseason...i wont be shocked if he gets a few games down the road like Hagelin did this year...

http://snyrangersblog.com/prospects/...e-in-hartford/

Old
10-08-2012, 08:46 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
Miller seemed to play well for the Whale this preseason...i wont be shocked if he gets a few games down the road like Hagelin did this year...

http://snyrangersblog.com/prospects/...e-in-hartford/
The source you are citing is a site controlled by the Rangers--the organization has been hyping Miller from the moment he was drafted. Just because he will not go back to his Junior team and begin his professional career, does not mean he is ready to play in the NHL. Plus, as I said before, the longer the lockout continues (which creates a shorter regular) the less likely any rookie will be called up unless there are injuries. I'm not knocking Miller--just being realistic given his background.

Old
10-08-2012, 09:08 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
The source you are citing is a site controlled by the Rangers--the organization has been hyping Miller from the moment he was drafted. Just because he will not go back to his Junior team and begin his professional career, does not mean he is ready to play in the NHL. Plus, as I said before, the longer the lockout continues (which creates a shorter regular) the less likely any rookie will be called up unless there are injuries. I'm not knocking Miller--just being realistic given his background.
i understand that....but remember Hagelin and Kreider seemed to make the NHL without alot of time in the minor leagues and Hagelin was a 6th round pick......Miller has already NHL size and is already a solid 2 way player that can play on the 3 or 4th line at the moment if needed. i wont be shocked if Miller becomes the 3rd line center and moves Boyle/Halpern to wing by end of regular season if there is one...

Old
10-08-2012, 10:35 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
i understand that....but remember Hagelin and Kreider seemed to make the NHL without alot of time in the minor leagues and Hagelin was a 6th round pick......Miller has already NHL size and is already a solid 2 way player that can play on the 3 or 4th line at the moment if needed. i wont be shocked if Miller becomes the 3rd line center and moves Boyle/Halpern to wing by end of regular season if there is one...
You're comparing apples and oranges: Miller hasn't played 3 or 4 years of college hockey or played in any international tournaments. However, since I haven't seen him play in person, I am not willing to predict anything at the moment, although I would not bet that he will see significant time in the NHL (assuming there is a season).

Old
10-09-2012, 05:48 AM
Levitate

If the Rangers think Miller is ready, he'll play, regardless of what people here or anywhere else think of him.

Old
10-09-2012, 06:22 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Hagelin was a mature, polished prospect after four years at Michigan--and had one extremely valuable asset, blinding speed. Kreider had tremendous natural ability, and despite not being polished, could get by on that alone. Miller is neither polished nor blessed with an abundance of raw talent, so I think it's fair to assume he'll need some seasoning in the minors first.

Who knows though...some guys are built for the professional game and flourish when pushed. Maybe Miller is one of them.

It's just pain.
Old
10-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Osminator

http://www.ctwhale.com/news/detail/w...e-roster-moves

WHALE ANNOUNCE ROSTER MOVES, down to 3 goalies, 9 dmen and 16 forwards.

Last edited by Osminator: 10-09-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old
10-09-2012, 10:11 AM
Johnny8242

Send a message via AIM to Johnny8242
Greenville falls 3-2 in OT

Greenville - 2 South Carolina -3

Goals Scored by
Johnston, (1) (Tremblay), 24:10
Rome, (1) (Coffman), 31:53

Goalie Stats
Bryan Hince - 29:02 15/16
Adam Courchaine- 35:51 12/14

Stat Caps
Ashton Rome lead the team with 4 shots on net

Rangers Prospect Steven Delisle had 7 PIM and 1 Shot on net

Old
10-09-2012, 10:51 AM
pavelich

Quote:
You're comparing apples and oranges: Miller hasn't played 3 or 4 years of college hockey or played in any international tournaments. However, since I haven't seen him play in person, I am not willing to predict anything at the moment, although I would not bet that he will see significant time in the NHL (assuming there is a season).
Miller played for the USA in the World Juniors last year. Had 2G, 2A and was +3 in 6 games. Also played in various other international tournaments during his 2 years with the US NTDP.

Old
10-09-2012, 11:19 AM
Osminator

Whale made some roster moves.
http://www.ctwhale.com/news/detail/w...e-roster-moves

Assigned to Greenville (ECHL): Defensemen (1): Steven Delisle Forwards (3): Ryan Flanigan, Danny Hobbs, Jordie Johnston

Released from training camp tryouts: Goaltenders (2): Bryan Hince, Kyle Rank Defensemen (3): Kyle Haines, Colten Hayes, Brent Henley Forwards (4): Andrew Courtney, Scott Tanski, Nicolas Tremblay, Francis Verreault-Paul

With those changes, the Whale now have 28 players in training camp:

Goal (3): Jason Missiaen, Scott Stajcer, Cameron Talbot

Defense (9): Sean Collins, Matt Gilroy, Sebastien Piche, Sam Klassen, Dylan McIlrath, Jyri Niemi, Blake Parlett, Logan Pyett, Mike Vernace.

Forwards (16): Ryan Bourque, Tommy Grant, Micheal Haley, Marek Hrivik, Kyle Jean, Chad Kolarik, Chris Kreider, J.T. Miller, Kris Newbury, Scott Pitt, Brandon Segal, Kelsey Tessier, Christian Thomas, Shayne Wiebe, Jason Wilson, Andrew Yogan

Old
10-09-2012, 12:02 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I'd guess the following get sent down before the season starts: Stajcer, Wilson, Pitt and Wiebe. Maybe Niemi.

Old
10-09-2012, 12:08 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I'd guess the following get sent down before the season starts: Stajcer, Wilson, Pitt and Wiebe. Maybe Niemi.
Doubtful that Talbot is ready for this weekend's opening--if that happens, Stajcer will not be sent down.

I actually saw Wiebe make some decent plays on Sunday--good positioning and strength. a couple of good passes. Not sure whether he will be sent to Greenville or not, but I was positively surprised.

Old
10-09-2012, 02:50 PM
cwede

Talbot and Wilson, like McIlrath are recovering from serious injuries.
What we don't know about are the injury situations with Bourque or Hrivik.
Re the next D cut, my guess is Parlett goes down, while Klassen and/or Niemi stay, competing with Piche for the spots on the left side behind Vernace. Parlett has had shaky games already, and the Right-side is deeper with Collins, Gilroy, Pyett, and hopefully soon, McIlrath.
I expect big things from Wilson if he can stay healthy, a 2-way wing with size, bigger than Haley, more upside than Grant, more physical than Jean.

Old
10-09-2012, 03:02 PM
Joey Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwede View Post
Re the next D cut, my guess is Parlett goes down, while Klassen and/or Niemi stay, competing with Piche for the spots on the left side behind Vernace. Parlett has had shaky games already, and the Right-side is deeper with Collins, Gilroy, Pyett, and hopefully soon, McIlrath.
I expect big things from Wilson if he can stay healthy, a 2-way wing with size, bigger than Haley, more upside than Grant, more physical than Jean.
What happened to them anyway?

Old
10-09-2012, 03:24 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Ah, didn't realize Talbot was injured.

I think they keep Parlett over Niemi. Niemi was okay in the ECHL last year, whereas Parlett was okay in the AHL. I think Blake is a better player with more upside.

I don't see it with Wilson. He wasn't even particularly good in the ECHL. Unless he's made significant progress over the summer, he looks like a spare AHL forward/ECHL regular to me.

Old
10-09-2012, 03:38 PM
E-Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwede View Post
What was Wilson's injury? His abilities may be needed on the Whale's 4th sooner rather than later. Don't want to see Haley and Newbury be overmatched most of the time.

Old
10-09-2012, 03:46 PM
cwede

i try not to be too critical of players during their first pro year. That year is for learning for most of them. For example, I expect Ryan Bourque to score more regularly this time around. And Wilson's year was held back by injuries too. This year, some of our many rookie F's - Thomas, Yogan, Jean, Hrivik, ... Hobbs, Johnston, Flanigan - will struggle adapting for much of the season.
I'm not ready to write off Niemi yet, he was only 21 last season, his career in North America is at a tipping point as his entry level contract is expiring, and the coach change, to Beukeboom, may help him. Meanwhile, when the Whale season got to the critical stages, Parlett was the odd man out. Not that i loved last year's Whale D - Redden and Bell and Nightingale all stealing minutes from youngre prospects, and Kundratek being dumped in the Rangers worst trade since Korpikoski for Lisin...

Closed Thread