Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stopping in...

Old
10-07-2012, 09:02 PM
n0rthstar

vCash: 500
Stopping in...

To say whatsup!!! Obviously no hockey this year blows but man I was really looking forward to seeing the Stars top 6 or even 9 for that matter, any idea what it woulda been looking like with the addition of the grumpy old men(Jagr/Whitney)?

PS:

<-------Sens fan, cheers!

n0rthstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 09:41 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
GMJN already said he sees Jagr playing with Benn and Eriksson, and Roy would probably center Whitney and Ryder. Without saying it outright, the team doesn't see Morrow as a Top 6 option at this point.

Upon trading for Eakin, they mentioned he could be a Top 6 center, but adding Roy means he's likely the 3rd center. His winger options are Brenden Morrow, Matt Fraser, Tomas Vincour, Ryan Garbutt, Eric Nystrom, Tom Wandell, and Colton Sceviour. The three most likely options though are just Morrow, Fraser and Vincour. Fraser has been singled out by GMJN and others in the organization as a prospect who could make the big team in camp. Personally, I'd like to see Fraser and Vincour play with Eakin. They can let Morrow play with Fiddler.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 09:50 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

I think most would agree it's probably gunna look something like this for a top 9:

Eriksson Benn Jagr
Whitney Roy Ryder
Morrow Eakin Vincour

It should be an exciting year when/if we get going here. Sens look young and promising these days. Any idea, of the upside of O'Brien? I never here much about him, who would you compare him to?

Karitimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 12:51 PM
n0rthstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karitimes View Post
I think most would agree it's probably gunna look something like this for a top 9:

Eriksson Benn Jagr
Whitney Roy Ryder
Morrow Eakin Vincour

It should be an exciting year when/if we get going here. Sens look young and promising these days. Any idea, of the upside of O'Brien? I never here much about him, who would you compare him to?

Man that top 6 is so solid!!! Cant tell you much about O'Brien, stop by the sens board if you want a better opinion, I havent been able to watch him to much, im a west coast Sens fan, very little exposure to my team out here.

PS: Im from and live in Jamie Benn's hometown.

n0rthstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 01:00 PM
roach9

What's your guys' backend looking like? Is Dillon a shoe-in? I played hockey with him in Surrey for a couple of years, really cool to be able to see his progression in the big league.

roach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 01:32 PM
TrillMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach9 View Post
What's your guys' backend looking like? Is Dillon a shoe-in? I played hockey with him in Surrey for a couple of years, really cool to be able to see his progression in the big league.
Dillon will most likely make the big club. He's stepped his game up a lot over the past couple of years.

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 02:02 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
We've got a bit of a log-jam at D for now.

Goligoski - Robidas
Dillon - Daley
Rome/Fistric - Larsen
Rome/Fistric/Jo. Benn

And there's a decent chance one of Nemeth and Oleksiak could force their way into that by the end of the year as well. Regardless, it'll look drastically different going into 2013-2014.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 02:43 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach9 View Post
I was fairly confident that Dillon was a lock for the roster had the season started on time. If this season ever starts, since December is likely the earliest we'll see NHL hockey he's a 100% lock IMO at this point.

Old
10-08-2012, 06:24 PM
Nemeth
Mo Money Mo Problems

vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
We've got a bit of a log-jam at D for now.

Goligoski - Robidas
Dillon - Daley
Rome/Fistric - Larsen
Rome/Fistric/Jo. Benn

And there's a decent chance one of Nemeth and Oleksiak could force their way into that by the end of the year as well. Regardless, it'll look drastically different going into 2013-2014.
I'd be stoked if dillon, oleksiak, and nemeth all made the jump pairng up with daley, larsen, and goligoski.

Nemeth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 06:49 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsfan17 View Post
I'd be stoked if dillon, oleksiak, and nemeth all made the jump pairng up with daley, larsen, and goligoski.
I think they'll all be regulars by '13-'14. Let Robidas and Fistric walk (or trade them for cheap), keep Rome as our #7.

Goligoski - Oleksiak
Nemeth - Larsen
Dillon - Daley
Rome

And Bystrom could push one of Dillon or Daley down to #7 to give us a well balanced backend a few years later.

Old
10-08-2012, 10:58 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
And Bystrom could push one of Dillon or Daley down to #7 to give us a well balanced backend a few years later.
Let's wait for him to crack 5 mins/gm in the SEL before we pencil him into the NHL lineup anytime soon.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 11:17 PM
FrailSwan
A-B-We Stole Your C

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Let's wait for him to crack 5 mins/gm in the SEL before we pencil him into the NHL lineup anytime soon.
My thoughts exactly.

FrailSwan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 11:48 PM
TrillMike

Quote:
Exactly. Unless something changes dramatically that isn't going to happen.

Old
10-09-2012, 12:48 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
What can I say, I'm optimistic.

Old
10-09-2012, 11:45 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillmike View Post
Exactly. Unless something changes dramatically that isn't going to happen.
There's nothing dramatic about his ice time though, and he's not falling behind developmentally. I get the impression you're saying he's already potentially a bust if his current situation doesn't change.

He is one of the youngest players in the SEL, and he's the youngest player to ever suit up for MODO in Elitserien. His ice time isn't that surprising even if it is less than what most expected.

You seem to be characterizing the situation like it's a negative when in fact it's pretty positive he was getting any time at all. The issue that I think many people have is that they feel (myself included) he could be getting better competition in Plymouth (OHL) than the U-20 league in Sweden. Originally though, most did expect him to spend the entire season in the men's league, and I don't think anyone saw an issue with staying in Sweden. Since that has changed though, he could still go to the OHL this year. Regardless, another year in the U-20 isn't going to stunt his development either.

Old
10-09-2012, 01:04 PM
TrillMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
There's nothing dramatic about his ice time though, and he's not falling behind developmentally. I get the impression you're saying he's already potentially a bust if his current situation doesn't change.

He is one of the youngest players in the SEL, and he's the youngest player to ever suit up for MODO in Elitserien. His ice time isn't that surprising even if it is less than what most expected.

You seem to be characterizing the situation like it's a negative when in fact it's pretty positive he was getting any time at all. The issue that I think many people have is that they feel (myself included) he could be getting better competition in Plymouth (OHL) than the U-20 league in Sweden. Originally though, most did expect him to spend the entire season in the men's league, and I don't think anyone saw an issue with staying in Sweden. Since that has changed though, he could still go to the OHL this year. Regardless, another year in the U-20 isn't going to stunt his development either.
Your impression is wrong. You are the only one who has said the word "bust." My reply was aimed at LT saying that Bystrom is going to bump Daley and Dillon down. I said "unless something dramatically changes," to me that would mean if he all of a sudden becomes a bonefied top 2 Dman (at his age) in the SEL, he's not going to take Daley or Dillon's spot.

I'm not saying Bystrom will never be a good NHL player, I just think we need to slow the hell down on fitting him into the NHL roster.

Old
10-09-2012, 01:19 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillmike View Post
Your impression is wrong. You are the only one who has said the word "bust." My reply was aimed at LT saying that Bystrom is going to bump Daley and Dillon down. I said "unless something dramatically changes," to me that would mean if he all of a sudden becomes a bonefied top 2 Dman (at his age) in the SEL, he's not going to take Daley or Dillon's spot.

I'm not saying Bystrom will never be a good NHL player, I just think we need to slow the hell down on fitting him into the NHL roster.
I pretty clearly said "in a few years".

Old
10-09-2012, 03:42 PM
BigG44

Quote:
I pretty clearly said "in a few years".
I felt you were, and around 3 years is a reasonable projection for a prospect like Bystrom. I don't get needing to slow down your projections like Trillmike just indicated.

Nemeth (another high 2nd round pick from Sweden) is 2 years removed from the draft, and the organization has said he's close to NHL ready. I think if you asked most fans they'd say he could make the jump full time after a half season in the AHL.

Comparing Bystrom and Nemeth obviously isn't apples to apples just because of their nationality and draft position, but 3 years is definitely a conservative estimate of his ability to make an impact in the NHL.

Larsen might be a better comparable in this situation, and he was right around 3.5 years removed from the draft when he became a regular NHLer.

Old
10-09-2012, 06:20 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
My post was more of a joke at LT's future projections in general. It's good to be optimistic but so many different things could happen to make any 3-4 year lineup projection useless. It's fine to project a single player but projecting how they fit into a lineup that far down the road is, in my opinion, an exercise in mental self gratification.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 06:31 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
My post was more of a joke at LT's future projections in general. It's good to be optimistic but so many different things could happen to make any 3-4 year lineup projection useless. It's fine to project a single player but projecting how they fit into a lineup that far down the road is, in my opinion, an exercise in mental self gratification.
I don't really disagree. I do tend to get pretty excited over all this stuff, actually doing what I hate seeing. Regardless, it looks like we'll have a solid defense for the next several years (I know we were saying the same with Nisky, Grossmann, Fistric, etc., but that group lacks the depth this pool has).

Old
10-09-2012, 06:56 PM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

LT, got any projections for what our lineup will look like in 40 years?

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 07:06 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

I'll be the GM by then.

Old
10-09-2012, 08:48 PM
BigG44

Quote:
I actually figured yours was a joke, and I do agree it's pointless trying to come up with a lineup several years from now. To be honest though, like LT, I do enjoy thinking about the future in terms of where a guy could fit even though it's doubtful the way I see the team now will ever come to be.

The reason I brought anything up is because I wasn't exactly clear on what Trillmike meant. I thought he was saying that without drastic changes in Bystrom's current development he'd never be an NHL player, but he cleared up that wasn't what he was saying. Honestly ... I still don't know what he meant, but it really doesn't matter at this point.

Bystrom is pretty much right where he should be in terms of development for a Swedish player his age, and there is definitely reason to be optimistic about his future. Hopefully he makes the U-20 squad for some of the Euro tournaments as well as the WJC because that will be the time to truly see how he's developing this year against guys his own age.

Old
10-10-2012, 12:55 AM
TrillMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I actually figured yours was a joke, and I do agree it's pointless trying to come up with a lineup several years from now. To be honest though, like LT, I do enjoy thinking about the future in terms of where a guy could fit even though it's doubtful the way I see the team now will ever come to be.

The reason I brought anything up is because I wasn't exactly clear on what Trillmike meant. I thought he was saying that without drastic changes in Bystrom's current development he'd never be an NHL player, but he cleared up that wasn't what he was saying. Honestly ... I still don't know what he meant, but it really doesn't matter at this point.

Bystrom is pretty much right where he should be in terms of development for a Swedish player his age, and there is definitely reason to be optimistic about his future. Hopefully he makes the U-20 squad for some of the Euro tournaments as well as the WJC because that will be the time to truly see how he's developing this year against guys his own age.
Short and to the point. I didn't want to piss anyone off. I (like others) don't see the point in projecting lines 3-4 years down the road. However, I still don't understand how you don't get what I was saying. I have a degree from a journalism school and am having a hard time articulating exactly why my adverb ("dramatically") set you off on something I never said.

I want to think Bystrom is going the be a badass. I seriously do. If I had a crystal ball and could confidently tell you that he's going to be bumping guys like Dillon and Daley down in a "few years'," I wouldn't of commented.

It takes a long time (usually) for a D-man to adjust to the NHL. Bystrom is 18 years old. I will be thrilled if he can make the roster by the age of 21/22. That would be awesome. I don't believe it's a good idea to rush young D-men into the league. I thought that my little comment would have gone unnoticed.

When I said the word "dramatically," I was referring to Bystrom's overall game. I'll be honest I didn't "get" what LT was saying about Bystrom cracking the roster in a few years when I commented. When I read his comment in context I thought he was saying Bystom would be cracking the roster at the same time as Oleksiak and Nemeth.

I guess my idea of being short and sweet isn't working. I'm not trying to cause trouble. We're all Stars fans hoping for the same goal.

Old
10-10-2012, 03:36 AM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

I agree with Trillmike on this one. There are four young defensemen ahead of him who are older and more developed (Larsen, Oleksiak, Dillon, Nemeth) and unless something changes (maybe not "dramatically" but that's a semantic argument), then Bystrom has the worst chances of the five to be in the NHL in four years. Obviously someone could get traded, or injured, or just disappoint and Bystrom, or someone else, could climb the depth chart, but I don't think he's out of line in saying it would take some unpredictable factors for that to happen.

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote