HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I...

Closed Thread

Old
10-05-2012, 08:30 AM
redbranch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
Same deal at my shop. I really don't know why I tell the parents that it's not worth it to buy their 9 year old kid a $180 composite stick... but I guess it doesn't really matter since they never listen anyway lol. What do you think is the right age for a kid to start using a top of the line or close to it composite stick? 13ish? I'd take a guess that that's about when they're actually able to use the stick to their advantage... I could be off, though.
I switched to composite sticks over wood for my son when he was 6 because it was cheaper over the season. The wooden sticks were not lasting with the way he plays at all. Not buying high end composite sticks, but I'd rather buy 1 $90 stick, then a bunch of $25 wooden ones. He's a big kid for his age, and fights for the puck a lot. Wood sticks got dinged up from puck battles, then water gets in those chips and the blade just dies.

Old
10-05-2012, 03:07 PM
JR97

Today I'm recovering from last night's private drop-in. It's a father/son league where most of the sons are either in HS or just out of HS. Skilled and fast. Most of the fathers are older, slower, decent skill, and smarts. It's a lot of fun and one of the faster skates I hit.

I've got 3 games in 4 nights with tonight's game being the late game at 10:45. brutal. So today's focus is diet and figuring out when it sneak a nap in. When you're my age, playing beer league hockey can be an all day commitment and planning.

Old
10-05-2012, 05:17 PM
newfr4u

father/son league sounds like a blast.

Old
10-06-2012, 07:20 PM
Fj Atkinson
Rookie User

Well it wasn't today but it was last wednesday, my first hockey match, it was an elite league game (I live in the uk) and it was nottingham panthers vs cardiff devils 4-2 respectively I support the panthers so I am very pleased with the result

Last edited by Fj Atkinson: 10-06-2012 at 07:21 PM. Reason: spelt pleased wrong
Old
10-06-2012, 09:35 PM
SCBruCrew4

Watched the movie Goon. I wouldn't say it is better than Slap Shot but I will say it was a fun movie to watch and if I were to buy three hockey movies..it'd be in my top three.

Old
10-08-2012, 01:31 AM
addybojangles

Got my first penalty (interference because I was so gassed ).

Oh, and ACTUALLY got around two opponents to tapping it off the wall and going around them. Felt so good!

Old
10-08-2012, 07:07 PM
SCBruCrew4

Played hockey for the first time with a visor on. Loved it, didn't ever fog up on me and the visibility was great. Especially for never wearing one before.

Old
10-08-2012, 08:59 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBruCrew4 View Post
Played hockey for the first time with a visor on. Loved it, didn't ever fog up on me and the visibility was great. Especially for never wearing one before.
Did you go cage/fishbowl to visor or naked to visor?

Old
10-08-2012, 09:45 PM
SCritical

I got to development league only to realise I had forgotten my skates. So I had to do the class in hire skates, which was terrifying

Old
10-09-2012, 01:43 AM
SCBruCrew4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Did you go cage/fishbowl to visor or naked to visor?
Naked to visor. It's a HockeyTron T30, got it off Amazon for $30 and it's anti-scratch and anti-fog. So far so good lol

Old
10-09-2012, 08:11 AM
redbranch

did my third clinic in three days. My shoulders are about to fall out, and my knees are shot, but I learned a few things

Old
10-09-2012, 08:20 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBruCrew4 View Post
Naked to visor. It's a HockeyTron T30, got it off Amazon for $30 and it's anti-scratch and anti-fog. So far so good lol
I've been using a pro stock Oakley visor when I practice, it almost never fogs up unless I sit on the bench for too long.

Old
10-09-2012, 09:33 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Last night my team had an amazing game and I had a couple of good plays. A couple of beautiful passes - one that led to a goal and got me an assist.

Came out for a shift change, came over the boards and saw the other team with the puck. The guy who had it is someone that I've skated with pretty regularly at the I-league classes, and I have never, ever been able to get the puck away from him. Last night I skated right up to him, he lost control and I grabbed it and kept going right into their zone. I was pretty happy and surprised that it worked out that way, it's like one of those drop passes that look so pretty but you never seem to do right, cause you're not really expecting it to happen. Except he wasn't trying to pass it to me at all.

When I started playing, my goal was to not be horrible. Then my goal was to be able to perhaps not hurt my team, but at least get in the way of the other team and be a nuisance. And now I'm happy to be at the point where I'm not hurting the team, I'm able to be a bit of a nuisance to the other team from time to time, but I'm also able to contribute something to my team. 2 assists last week, 1 assist this week...I've been working hard on the ice and it's finally paying off!

Oh, and I also did stick time with my daughter yesterday. She has a blast out there, no fear and just loves skating around and hitting things.

Old
10-09-2012, 09:55 AM
Thesensation19

Today im taking a day off, got to study for exams and plus I think my body needs a rest from soccer and hockey and training.

Ill take the day stretching, making sure I eat well and plan a schedule for the upcoming days.

I live in New York, Long island. If anyone ever wants to train or play hockey together... especially if you know of any ice ponds possible for the winter lmk!

MSG ME!

Old
10-09-2012, 11:21 AM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Today I realized that ground shipping from HM means next day arrival for me. I broke the blade on my two piece setup (One95 shaft+ TO blade is surprising really well balanced. TO shaft and TO blade not so much) last game
and after getting a promotion decided to just buy a whole new stick as a treat. I figure when it breaks, I can always just replace the blade in my old setup and still be fine or do so anyway and use it as the backup stick.

Old
10-09-2012, 02:16 PM
PaperworkNinja

Last night, I got three blocked shots and a stick save and my assists are coming at least once per game now. It's great being a defenseman.

Old
10-09-2012, 07:16 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
Today I realized that ground shipping from HM means next day arrival for me. I broke the blade on my two piece setup (One95 shaft+ TO blade is surprising really well balanced. TO shaft and TO blade not so much) last game
and after getting a promotion decided to just buy a whole new stick as a treat. I figure when it breaks, I can always just replace the blade in my old setup and still be fine or do so anyway and use it as the backup stick.
What did you get?

Old
10-09-2012, 08:24 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

Played my first Midget AA game. Won our game 2-1 and a small braawl erupted at the end of the second. Played on the 4th line, was pretty good down low and had a few good shots

Old
10-09-2012, 09:24 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
What did you get?
Guess I left that out as I was editing. I picked up a P88 87 Flex TO in that lovely (or not so lovely orangish color depending on your preference) orangish red color.

Although there are curves that have been more fun to use (P08, p91a/heel wedges), I feel head and shoulders more comfortable with the P88 as stickhandling, passing, shooting etc. have become much more predictable for me which allows me to be much more deliberate with what I want to do, if that makes sense. I'm excited to use the TO OPS in that curve as I have it with the P08 and I'm a big fan of the stick as a whole.

Old
10-10-2012, 01:28 AM
kr580
HF's Minecraft Guy

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
Today I realized that ground shipping from HM means next day arrival for me.
I love that too. HM and IW are both next day deliveries for me if I order early enough. I feel fortunate since there's no good shop near me and I can count on something getting here quick if I need it.

Old
10-10-2012, 04:48 AM
howeaboutthat

Last night I went to a second open training session with a rec hockey team in Nottingham and I realised how much more fun it is to play with better players than yourself and how much more you push yourself as a result.

Up until now my limited ice hockey experience has been gained from playing in scrimmage games, turning up and slotting into the beginner line, everyone ending up chasing the puck around rather than playing for position.

I've been offered the chance to register with the rec team and am going to take it, even though I'm still a relative novice. Just being able to train with them regularly will improve my game a hell of a lot more than the occasional scrimmage session will, I felt a better skater after just two open sessions with them!

Why didn't I start this sooner? God I love hockey.

Old
10-10-2012, 09:49 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
Originally Posted by howeaboutthat View Post

Up until now my limited ice hockey experience has been gained from playing in scrimmage games, turning up and slotting into the beginner line, everyone ending up chasing the puck around rather than playing for position.

I've been offered the chance to register with the rec team and am going to take it, even though I'm still a relative novice. Just being able to train with them regularly will improve my game a hell of a lot more than the occasional scrimmage session will, I felt a better skater after just two open sessions with them!
Good choice! I play in a couple of different leagues as well as doing some developmental/instructional stuff that has scrimmages.

In the leagues where we have an actual team with people playing positions, it's such a different game. You have a place to be, and if you are there - you will get passes and chances to get assists and score goals. You can rely on a teammate to be where they are supposed to be (usually) when you need to pass your way out of a tricky situation. And you can see how the game unfolds and actually develop a sense of strategy and playmaking.

In the beginner scrimmages, it's everyone chasing after the puck and nobody being in the right place. I try to play position, but since nobody else is doing that, they don't look for you to be there. I've been waiting in my spot wide open so many times looking for a pass but it never comes because everyone else is all in one spot on the ice, focused 100% on the puck. They never think to look up and say "oh, hey - we got a person there who can take the puck, and probably get halfway up the ice before anyone can catch her because everyone else is down here in the corner."

Old
10-10-2012, 11:27 AM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post
I love that too. HM and IW are both next day deliveries for me if I order early enough. I feel fortunate since there's no good shop near me and I can count on something getting here quick if I need it.
This is the first time I placed an order during the day. The other times I did so after 5pm and it was 2-day delivery, so I figured it might be the same. Definitely good to know as depending on the item(s), a 10% coupon code covers shipping, so it'll definitely be something I look to do in a pinch. There are two shops around here that I usually will look to first, but one is way over priced and the other has a smaller, but still good, selection of stuff (PIAS).

Old
10-10-2012, 06:04 PM
Satan
why did she go

vCash: 50
retaped both my sticks for tonight's game.

i have every ounce of confidence
that you will fix all that you've wrecked
Old
10-10-2012, 06:34 PM
SaintTavares

vCash: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post
I placed my order from HM on Monday, but it takes five days for me...

Closed Thread