HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

v21: Kyle Lowry for Prime Minister

Closed Thread

Old
10-07-2012, 04:29 AM
Joey24

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Typical training camp talk. Everyone is in the best shape they've ever been in or worked really hard on their game. I just don't see the desire in ED's game.
Well the coaching staff is happy with his shot and how quick he looks this year compared to last. So it's not just Ed saying he feels better, coaching staff also say his game looks good, but yes it is early and we'll see.

Old
10-08-2012, 01:20 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

real (sorta) basketball to watch tonight for the first time in months! The Raptors are playing an exhibition game at the ACC vs Spanish club side Real Madrid. The game will be on NBA TV.

The pre-season schedule looks like this:

tonight vs Real Madrid (7pm/4pm)

Wednesday 10th @ Detroit (7:30pm/4:30pm)

Friday 12th vs Detroit (7pm/4pm)

Wednesday 17th vs Washington (7pm/4pm)

Friday 19th vs New York (7pm/4pm) at Bell Centre in Montreal

Monday 22nd vs Milwaukee (7pm/4pm)

Friday 26th @ Memphis (8pm/5pm)

all the home games are at the ACC except the Knicks game on the 19th, which is in Montreal. I think most of the games are also on NBA TV.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
10-08-2012, 01:39 PM
Swervin81
Mo Riles Mo Problems

Anyone see Terrence Ross as a Bruce Bowen type? Good defender and 3 point shooter.

Old
10-08-2012, 05:19 PM
Joey24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
Anyone see Terrence Ross as a Bruce Bowen type? Good defender and 3 point shooter.
Bowen was strictly a catch and shoot type player. Had no shot off the dribble, couldn't create his own shot and wouldn't drive. He was a great defensive player tho but for the minutes he got it was evident that he was not a major part of the offense. Ross can create his own shot, has the ability to drive and finish (even though he could do it a bit more), and has a good three and mid range already.

Not often do kids come out of college with as much of an all round game as Ross. He's kinda the total package shoot from all over the floor, can slash and defend, though he's not elite at any he's well above avg in all. And the only thing I see holding him back is his ball handling and I am sure the Raptors have put a lot of emphasis into that over the summer and will continue throughout he season.

Old
10-08-2012, 06:02 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

lol, Sergio Rodriguez is on Real Madrid? Anyone else remember the hype with him coming into the NBA where he was being called "Spanish Chocolate" and supposed to be a Jason Williams type flashy athletic PG?

and no Lowry tonight because of a groin injury.

Lame.

Old
10-08-2012, 07:31 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

and now Calderon hurt his ankle.

awesome.

Old
10-08-2012, 08:11 PM
Swervin81
Mo Riles Mo Problems

Raps fans on RealGM cheering Jose's injury. Stay classy

Hopefully neither him nor Lowry's groin are hurt bad. Everyone going down like flies now. It will be a long season if we have to start John Lucas

Old
10-08-2012, 08:55 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Calderon came back before the game was over. And in Casey's post-game presser he said that they're keeping Lowry out this week for precautionary reasons, but that it's not a serious injury. If the team had a playoff game tomorrow, he'd be ready to go.

So we should be fine in that regard.

I only sporadically paid attention to the game, but Ross looked good with his jumper, and I thought DeMar was being pleasantly aggressive getting to the basket. Hard to judge wholly though because a) it's pre-season, and b) it's a Euro League team which won't be used to the NBA style of game. But it's a start.

Old
10-09-2012, 03:06 AM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey24 View Post
Bowen was strictly a catch and shoot type player. Had no shot off the dribble, couldn't create his own shot and wouldn't drive. He was a great defensive player tho but for the minutes he got it was evident that he was not a major part of the offense. Ross can create his own shot, has the ability to drive and finish (even though he could do it a bit more), and has a good three and mid range already.

Not often do kids come out of college with as much of an all round game as Ross. He's kinda the total package shoot from all over the floor, can slash and defend, though he's not elite at any he's well above avg in all. And the only thing I see holding him back is his ball handling and I am sure the Raptors have put a lot of emphasis into that over the summer and will continue throughout he season.
Not really. He averaged the second fewest FTA out of ALL draft eligible players this year. He just doesn't attack the basket. Has a smooth jumpshot but falls in love with it and almost seems to refuse to attack the paint.

He has a deadly one dribble pullup, but the majority of his shots will come from threes or long twos. Has a sweet looking stroke though, very natural looking.

Watched a few quarters tonight, and good to see Demar shoot zero threes and attack the basket. He has limited range so he needs to just go to the bucket each time he gets the ball. Amir looked good, as did Lucas.

Bargnani looked...pretty much the same. I saw he had 4 rebounds and he's still floating around the perimeter. Don't know why we'd expect anything different though, he's 7 years in this is who he is.

Wanted to watch Lowry and Big Val though. Will they play at all this preseason?

Old
10-09-2012, 01:29 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Not really. He averaged the second fewest FTA out of ALL draft eligible players this year. He just doesn't attack the basket. Has a smooth jumpshot but falls in love with it and almost seems to refuse to attack the paint.

He has a deadly one dribble pullup, but the majority of his shots will come from threes or long twos. Has a sweet looking stroke though, very natural looking.

Watched a few quarters tonight, and good to see Demar shoot zero threes and attack the basket. He has limited range so he needs to just go to the bucket each time he gets the ball. Amir looked good, as did Lucas.

Bargnani looked...pretty much the same. I saw he had 4 rebounds and he's still floating around the perimeter. Don't know why we'd expect anything different though, he's 7 years in this is who he is.

Coach Casey said Lowry won't play this week for sure (games yesterday, tomorrow, Friday) but is "day to day" overall. So maybe he'll get in some action next week. Valanciunas there's been less discussion on his progress, so who knows.

Old
10-09-2012, 06:55 PM
Joey24

Quote:

I said he can slash, not that he does it frequently. Once he works on his ball handling skills and confidence with putting the ball on the floor and driving the lane with more regularity. He will get his points from the line. He's a pretty athletic player and I think as the year goes on and the Toronto coaching staff get their claws a little more into this kid he's gonna be a gem from all angels of the game. Not strictly a catch and shoot type player like Bowen.

Old
10-09-2012, 06:59 PM
Joey24

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Coach Casey said Lowry won't play this week for sure (games yesterday, tomorrow, Friday) but is "day to day" overall. So maybe he'll get in some action next week. Valanciunas there's been less discussion on his progress, so who knows.
Would be nice to see these guys get some pre season minutes. I think Lowry is gonna be a huge boost to the liveliness of this teams offense and defense. With Val I would just like to see him get as much real game minutes in as possible before the season starts.

Old
10-09-2012, 09:30 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

vCash: 350
Quote:
I won’t waste too much of your time since after reading this you’re probably going to want to go out and celebrate, but as you might have already heard, Jonas Valanciunas is expected to make his Raptors debut tomorrow night against the Pistons (assuming there aren’t any setbacks) after returning to full practice today.
http://blogs.thescore.com/raptorblog...ainst-pistons/

Old
10-09-2012, 09:48 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
sweet.

Old
10-10-2012, 01:29 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Everyone should stay away from RealGM tonight because after his first few minutes Val will either be the next Dwight Howard or an absolute bust for the ages.

10-10-2012, 01:44 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Everyone should stay away from RealGM tonight because after his first few minutes Val will either be the next Dwight Howard or an absolute bust for the ages.
haha this. But most likely a bust.

I go on RealGM quite often, and Raps fans on there are generally the most pessimistic, self-hating posters I've ever seen. They don't give the team credit and always seem to look on the dark side.

Old
10-10-2012, 02:00 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Whoever said that Ross doesn't or can't slash needs to go watch some videos. The guy can bring it to the hoop. Just because he's not getting the foul calls doesn't mean anything. It takes time for these guys to get the calls in the NBA, and Ross & Derozan is going to be a deadly combo for years.

10-10-2012, 05:03 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Whoever said that Ross doesn't or can't slash needs to go watch some videos. The guy can bring it to the hoop. Just because he's not getting the foul calls doesn't mean anything. It takes time for these guys to get the calls in the NBA, and Ross & Derozan is going to be a deadly combo for years.
I'm not trying to rip the guy, but he's primarly a perimeter shooter that can finish in transition and play good defense.

He's not a slashing wing like Demar.

Old
10-10-2012, 06:16 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
I'm not trying to rip the guy, but he's primarly a perimeter shooter that can finish in transition and play good defense.

He's not a slashing wing like Demar.
DeMar's not a slashing wing like DeMar either.

Old
10-10-2012, 06:35 PM
Baba Ganoush

any streams?

Old
10-10-2012, 06:37 PM
Baba Ganoush

nevermind. if anyone needs one:

http://atdhenet.tv/52396/watch-toron...etroit-pistons

Old
10-10-2012, 06:41 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

I hate the Detroit PA guy. He always sounds like he's trying to be a terrible streetball announcer. It sounds horribly unprofessional.

Old
10-10-2012, 06:44 PM
Joey24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Ganoush View Post
thanks

Old
10-10-2012, 06:46 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Good to see DeMar continuing to be aggressive this game. Although I'm not keen on him taking that corner 3 off the pass from Fields. That's still not his game.

Old
10-10-2012, 06:52 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Barney-yawney.

EDIT: Valanciunas sighting! Look at him, setting screens like a pro! hall-of-famer!

Closed Thread