HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12'/13' Marlies Part I|12-8-0-1|Matt Frattin Appreciation Thread.

Closed Thread

Old
10-09-2012, 07:49 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorthFace View Post
Going back for the overage year could really stall his development. I was almost certain he'd crack the Marlies, but due to the lockout they're really deep now. Oh well I'll just have to hope he grabs that final spot.

I hope you're right about the roster limit haha. Leafs brass have to know that the ECHL is not a great place to put one of your better prospects.
From the looks of it the one from the Juniors that has really stole a spot is Mckegg.

As for Ross, I think they might send him to the ECHL rather than juniors IMO. It's not a bad place as people make it out to be though, I mean one of the bright spots in goal tending is Mark Owuya and he's turned out just fine so far. I think also the transfer of Komarov has also taken out spots for guys like Ryan, and Ross. Both who can score but agitate as well, well not Ryan but you get the point for the bottom lines. Kenny Ryan also has come out nicely from the ECHL.

10-09-2012, 07:51 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
Keep in mind Eakins said he may carry a 5th forward line. In that case I imagine, from that list, that Ross/Ryan/Abbot may hang around. I'm skeptical about Abbott though - I haven't heard a ton about him in a short camp and they likely want him in a primary scoring role (which he'll likely get at the ECHL level) - so his spot may better be suited by one of the grinders.

I'm not sure any of the players will return to junior based on how everyone finished last season. An argument could be made for Crescenzi, but even then I'd be surprised.
I can't really see Crescenzi or Carrick returning to the OHL at all tbh.

I am still confused as to where Abbot fits into this team atm. This guy was getting quite a lot of attention and seems to be slotted with Colborne who is also in a do or die situation this year.

Old
10-09-2012, 07:52 AM
TheNorthFace
Mo and Willy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
From the looks of it the one from the Juniors that has really stole a spot is Mckegg.

As for Ross, I think they might send him to the ECHL rather than juniors IMO. It's not a bad place as people make it out to be though, I mean one of the bright spots in goal tending is Mark Owuya and he's turned out just fine so far. I think also the transfer of Komarov has also taken out spots for guys like Ryan, and Ross. Both who can score but agitate as well, well not Ryan but you get the point for the bottom lines. Kenny Ryan also has come out nicely from the ECHL.
Yeah I agree, it's just the ECHL's track record isn't great. I mean there's Burrows and Reimer and maybe a few more, but not a lot of quality NHL'ers come from there.

I wouldn't mind Ross playing a month or two there, but I just don't think a full season there would be good for his development. Anyway I guess we'll wait and see what happens before panicking haha.

Old
10-09-2012, 07:56 AM
TheNorthFace
Mo and Willy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
Keep in mind Eakins said he may carry a 5th forward line. In that case I imagine, from that list, that Ross/Ryan/Abbot may hang around. I'm skeptical about Abbott though - I haven't heard a ton about him in a short camp and they likely want him in a primary scoring role (which he'll likely get at the ECHL level) - so his spot may better be suited by one of the grinders.

I'm not sure any of the players will return to junior based on how everyone finished last season. An argument could be made for Crescenzi, but even then I'd be surprised.
Hopefully this is the case.

Old
10-09-2012, 07:57 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Yeah I agree, it's just the ECHL's track record isn't great. I mean there's Burrows and Reimer and maybe a few more, but not a lot of quality NHL'ers come from there.
I get the hesitance for sure but it's changing for the better IMO. Whatever the case is I hope our prospect thrive in any given situation. Be it with the AHL, ECHL or CHL.

I am anxiously waiting to see what Kadri can do this upcoming year with Aucoin who is an explosive AHL player. It's also Kadri's contract year so all eyes are on him. I really hope he tears it up this year, some prospect like Zibanejad and Granlund has shown very good pre-season stats and performances, but then again they are pre-season.

The 13th can't come any quicker.

Old
10-09-2012, 07:58 AM
TheNorthFace
Mo and Willy

Quote:
I get the hesitance for sure but it's changing for the better IMO. Whatever the case is I hope our prospect thrive in any given situation. Be it with the AHL, ECHL or CHL.

I am anxiously waiting to see what Kadri can do this upcoming year with Aucoin who is an explosive AHL player. It's also Kadri's contract year so all eyes are on him. I really hope he tears it up this year, some prospect like Zibanejad and Granlund has shown very good pre-season stats and performances, but then again they are pre-season.

The 13th can't come any quicker.
Yup. Pumped they're going to be airing the opener on Sportsnet.

Old
10-09-2012, 08:02 AM
SprDaVE

Quote:

I wouldn't mind Ross playing a month or two there, but I just don't think a full season there would be good for his development. Anyway I guess we'll wait and see what happens before panicking haha.
The ECHL this year will be a much stronger league --- a lot stronger than if he would return to Junior for his overager year. You all ready have Gomez, Crabb and a few other decent NHLers playing in the league. There will be other good players there during the lockout. Also most AHL teams will need to cut decent players and place them in the ECHL so that they can get good minutes.

It wouldn't be a bad thing for Ross, or whoever is cut, to go dominate or at least play against adults. A lot better than going back to Junior to be honest.

Old
10-09-2012, 08:10 AM
Interactif

Leafs have to develop Jamie Devane, if it came to he or Kenny Ryan, I see a future for Devane with the Leafs more than Ryan. I assumed letting Rosehill go as making room for Jamie, We will see. Nonis, Burke, Eakins decision here will be interesting.

Old
10-09-2012, 08:11 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
The ECHL this year will be a much stronger league --- a lot stronger than if he would return to Junior for his overager year. You all ready have Gomez, Crabb and a few other decent NHLers playing in the league. There will be other good players there during the lockout. Also most AHL teams will need to cut decent players and place them in the ECHL so that they can get good minutes.

It wouldn't be a bad thing for Ross, or whoever is cut, to go dominate or at least play against adults. A lot better than going back to Junior to be honest.
Just look at a team like the Phantoms. I believe they sent a large portion of their players to Trenton (ECHL). That includes players such as their leading scorer from last year in Jason Akeson (22-years-old) and Blake Kessel who was second in defensive scoring.

So all teams are dealing with this push, and just like you said it'll make the ECHL level better (domino effect).

10-09-2012, 08:15 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Leafs have to develop Jamie Devane, if it came to he or Kenny Ryan, I see a future for Devane with the Leafs more than Ryan. I assumed letting Rosehill go as making room for Jamie, We will see. Nonis, Burke, Eakins decision here will be interesting.
ATM I think both Ryan and Devane will be in the ECHL tbh.

Old
10-09-2012, 08:21 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post

Yes, I was reading this morning the Oilers are going to be pushing some AHL players down due to RNH, Eberle, MPS and Hartikainen all being on their club.

The same is going to hold true for other clubs.

Additionally, I'm speculating that they won't be taking a salary hit being demoted to the ECHL and will want to play rather than sit on a bench and cheerlead.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
10-09-2012, 08:23 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Yup. Pumped they're going to be airing the opener on Sportsnet.
I was not aware of this and now will have my eyes glued to the TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Yes, I was reading this morning the Oilers are going to be pushing some AHL players down due to RNH, Eberle, MPS and Hartikainen all being on their club.

The same is going to hold true for other clubs.

Additionally, I'm speculating that they won't be taking a salary hit being demoted to the ECHL and will want to play rather than sit on a bench and cheerlead.
Hall is also able to join the crew isn't he?

Don't also forget a guy like Schultz joining that crew.

Old
10-09-2012, 08:42 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:

Hall is also able to join the crew isn't he?

Don't also forget a guy like Schultz joining that crew.
Hall hasn't been cleared yet, but yes Schultz will be there.

Going to be a lot of talent in the AHL this year. It will be interesting to see all the NHLers there. Frattin and Gardiner are there for the Leafs.

Old
10-09-2012, 08:43 AM
zeke
#freewilly

Sending ross back down for an overage year in junior would kind of be a kiss of death for him as a prospect.

the nhl lockout would be a bit of an extenuating circumstance, but it still would be very bad news.

Old
10-09-2012, 08:55 AM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Mckegg seems to have stolen a spot. Ross would need to go to ECHL, I dont want him to be sent to juniors, Ross is pretty much a future leaf, so overage season. I would not like that. we shall see wat happens

Old
10-09-2012, 09:01 AM
zeke
#freewilly

I don't think "stolen" is the right word. mckegg is a good prospect with legit nhl top-6 potential. his spot should never really have been in doubt.

Old
10-09-2012, 09:18 AM
67Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebel111 View Post
Mckegg seems to have stolen a spot. Ross would need to go to ECHL, I dont want him to be sent to juniors, Ross is pretty much a future leaf, so overage season. I would not like that. we shall see wat happens
It's more that the assignments will show where the prospects are on the depth chart at the moment. These things are all subject to change but where the are sent will more or less reflect where they rate, right now. If Ross is sent to the ECHL, it's a sign he isn't in fact "pretty much a future Leaf." There will be at least 12 forwards between him and the show, including, apparently, McKegg.

Old
10-09-2012, 10:19 AM
zeke
#freewilly

I still don't really see any good reason for Ross not to make the team.

Sure, while the NHL is locked out he may have to battle to stay in the lineup every game but he still should make the team and battle it out for the 4th line spots with some of the other guys. Once the NHL starts and frees up another spot or two he should have no problem staying in the lineup full time.

The way I see it there are only 9 forwards who were close to locks coming in - Kadri, Colborne, Aucoin, Ziggy, D'Amigo, Hamilton, Ashton, Scott, Deschamps - with both McKegg and Ross very likely to make the team. And IMO guys like Ashton, Scott, and Deschamps better be looking over their shoulders because McKegg and Ross (and even a guy like Abbott) are going to be gunning hard for their top-9 forward spots.

Old
10-09-2012, 10:26 AM
Interactif

Quote:
ATM I think both Ryan and Devane will be in the ECHL tbh.
Kenny Ryan has been a dissapointment considering he was our 2nd pick in 09 and that draft is looking like a solid one. If it came to either Devane or Ryan, I think Devane has more potential to be in a Leafs uniform one day. But if he can get more ice time elsewhere, I'll back that move. But I really hop he is given a chance to break the Marlies line up.

Old
10-09-2012, 10:26 AM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
I don't think "stolen" is the right word. mckegg is a good prospect with legit nhl top-6 potential. his spot should never really have been in doubt.
No, he's not. If you expect him to be a top 6 player, you're going to be sadly mistaken. At most in the NHL hes a scoring 3rd line player of the ilk of Bozak.

Old
10-09-2012, 10:29 AM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
I still don't really see any good reason for Ross not to make the team.

Sure, while the NHL is locked out he may have to battle to stay in the lineup every game but he still should make the team and battle it out for the 4th line spots with some of the other guys. Once the NHL starts and frees up another spot or two he should have no problem staying in the lineup full time.

The way I see it there are only 9 forwards who were close to locks coming in - Kadri, Colborne, Aucoin, Ziggy, D'Amigo, Hamilton, Ashton, Scott, Deschamps - with both McKegg and Ross very likely to make the team. And IMO guys like Ashton, Scott, and Deschamps better be looking over their shoulders because McKegg and Ross (and even a guy like Abbott) are going to be gunning hard for their top-9 forward spots.
Good post. Should be a nice battle for spots b/w Ross/McKegg/Komarov/Carrick/Ryan/Crescenzi/Devane whomever else.

Old
10-09-2012, 10:29 AM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott View Post
No, he's not. If you expect him to be a top 6 player, you're going to be sadly mistaken. At most in the NHL hes a scoring 3rd line player of the ilk of Bozak.
Well, he's far ahead of where Bozak was at the same age, though Bozak himself has top-6 skill anyways.

Old
10-09-2012, 10:30 AM
JVR2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott View Post
He's not as defensively responsible as Bozak. It's top 6 or bust for McKegg. I think he could make it in a sheltered scoring role.

Old
10-09-2012, 10:31 AM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Kenny Ryan has been a dissapointment considering he was our 2nd pick in 09 and that draft is looking like a solid one. If it came to either Devane or Ryan, I think Devane has more potential to be in a Leafs uniform one day. But if he can get more ice time elsewhere, I'll back that move. But I really hop he is given a chance to break the Marlies line up.
I think it's about time people gave up the Ryan dream. Kid is not gonna make it.

Old
10-09-2012, 10:33 AM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

Toronto Marlies ‏@TorontoMarlies

The #Marlies announced today that the team has released Engelage, Grimshaw, Hughesman and Syvret from their tryout agreements.

Those were the cuts made today, not all that relevant, but yeah, lol.

Closed Thread