HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tyler Biggs's discussion thread.

Old
10-08-2012, 01:29 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

vCash: 500
Game against Belleville started. If anyone is watching it/listening to it, please give updates on Biggs if possible.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 10:38 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
PPP doesn't believe in intangibles. That's like believing in the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Ferry, or God.
I can't really blame 'em for not believing in the Tooth Ferry

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 01:07 AM
DeputyMcLaren

So excited to see Biggs play in Kingston, counting down the days. Also not sure if Moffat is a fighter or not, hes a real good player for the Fronts on the backend. Kind of a weird match up.

DeputyMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 04:48 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
Loving Biggs. Could be our captain in a few years.
I don't know about this. He's a good guy for sure but tbh I still don't see a true captain in our prospect system.

10-09-2012, 07:57 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I don't know about this. He's a good guy for sure but tbh I still don't see a true captain in our prospect system.
I thought there were several prospects who were assistant captains in junior?

Are there any captains for the Leafs in the junior/NCAA/Europe? Wouldn't that indicate strong character? Be nice to have some leadership developing to bring to the pros.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 08:03 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
I thought there were several prospects who were assistant captains in junior?

Are there any captains for the Leafs in the junior/NCAA/Europe? Wouldn't that indicate strong character? Be nice to have some leadership developing to bring to the pros.
Majority of our prospect are captain or Alternate in some way or manner in any of their respective CHL team. Rielly was even donning a letter this season if I recall correctly.

Atm:
Macwilliam is a captain I believe in the NCAA.
Brown for the Otters.
Cresenczi was Rangers last year.
Carrick for the Battalions last year.
Percy was last year and is with the Steelheads.
Biggs IMO would have gotten on this year if the Gens weren't stacked.
Rielly had an A from what I remember.
Finn is the captain of the Storms.
Blacker had an A for the Attacks.
Kadri also had an A during his tenure with the Knights if I'm correct.

All in all I know we have character players and what not but I am not sold on any of them being the captain of the toronto maple leafs.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 08:10 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Majority of our prospect are captain or Alternate in some way or manner in any of their respective CHL team. Rielly was even donning a letter this season if I recall correctly.

Atm:
Macwilliam is a captain I believe in the NCAA.
Brown for the Otters.
Cresenczi was Rangers last year.
Carrick for the Battalions last year.
Percy was last year and is with the Steelheads.
Biggs IMO would have gotten on this year if the Gens weren't stacked.
Rielly had an A from what I remember.
Finn is the captain of the Storms.
Blacker had an A for the Attacks.
Kadri also had an A during his tenure with the Knights if I'm correct.

All in all I know we have character players and what not but I am not sold on any of them being the captain of the toronto maple leafs.
Captain does not have to be the best, most talented, or popular player. For me the player who can get in the middle of a scrum and keep his head and have a reasoned discussion with the refs without blowing a gasket and then talk to his mates on the ice to settle them down, and have his mates acknowledge him is all I ask.

Of course he has to be good enough to be in the line-up, and should be a go to guy.

That isn't asking too much is it?

Old
10-09-2012, 08:21 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Captain does not have to be the best, most talented, or popular player. For me the player who can get in the middle of a scrum and keep his head and have a reasoned discussion with the refs without blowing a gasket and then talk to his mates on the ice to settle them down, and have his mates acknowledge him is all I ask.

Of course he has to be good enough to be in the line-up, and should be a go to guy.

No I agree however atm I just don't see any standouts yet. That's all I am really saying.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 08:26 AM
birddog*

Quote:

Maybe that's the textbook definition but it's typically the best player on the team or a player with a combination of skill and toughness.

Crosby got the C and certainly wasn't 'level headed' in his early days.

Have a look at the current list of NHL captains -- almost always the best player on the team

Ryan Getzlaf
Zdeno Chara
Iginla
Eric Staal
Toews

It's either a top players or a very good player that plays with heart and grit. There is a definite correlation between being a captain and being a top player, not just someone that can talk to the ref.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 08:33 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Maybe that's the textbook definition but it's typically the best player on the team or a player with a combination of skill and toughness.

Have a look at the current list of NHL captains -- almost always the best player on the team

Ryan Getzlaf
Zdeno Chara
Iginla
Eric Staal
Toews

It's either a top players or a very good player that plays with heart and grit. There is a definite correlation between being a captain and being a top player, not just someone that can talk to the ref.
The difference with junior, is that the team normally choses a player that is likely to be on their team for the entire duration of their junior eligiability. SO a player that may not advance early into their pro affiliate.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 08:50 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post

Ryan Getzlaf
Zdeno Chara
Iginla
Eric Staal
Toews

Anaheim Ducks Ryan Getzlaf
Boston Bruins Zdeno Chara
Buffalo Sabres Jason Pominville
Calgary Flames Jarome Iginla
Carolina Hurricanes Eric Staal
Chicago Blackhawks Jonathan Toews
Colorado Avalanche Gabriel Landeskog
Columbus Blue Jackets Vacant
Dallas Stars Brenden Morrow
Detroit Red Wings Vacant
Edmonton Oilers Shawn Horcoff
Florida Panthers Vacant
Los Angeles Kings Dustin Brown
Minnesota Wild Mikko Koivu
Montreal Canadiens Brian Giontaa
Nashville Predators Shea Weber
New Jersey Devils Vacant
New York Islanders Mark Streit
New York Rangers Ryan Callahan
Ottawa Senators Daniel Alfredsson
Philadelphia Flyers Chris Pronger
Phoenix Coyotes Shane Doan
Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby
San Jose Sharks Joe Thornton
St. Louis Blues David Backes
Tampa Bay Lightning Vincent Lecavalier
Toronto Maple Leafs Dion Phaneuf
Vancouver Canucks Henrik Sedin
Washington Capitals Alexander Ovechkin
Winnipeg Jets Andrew Ladd

I'd say the majority are the best player, but not all.

Old
10-09-2012, 02:50 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Anaheim Ducks Ryan Getzlaf
Boston Bruins Zdeno Chara
Buffalo Sabres Jason Pominville
Calgary Flames Jarome Iginla
Carolina Hurricanes Eric Staal
Chicago Blackhawks Jonathan Toews
Colorado Avalanche Gabriel Landeskog
Columbus Blue Jackets Vacant
Dallas Stars Brenden Morrow
Detroit Red Wings Vacant
Edmonton Oilers Shawn Horcoff
Florida Panthers Vacant
Los Angeles Kings Dustin Brown
Minnesota Wild Mikko Koivu
Montreal Canadiens Brian Giontaa
Nashville Predators Shea Weber
New Jersey Devils Vacant
New York Islanders Mark Streit
New York Rangers Ryan Callahan
Ottawa Senators Daniel Alfredsson
Philadelphia Flyers Chris Pronger
Phoenix Coyotes Shane Doan
Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby
San Jose Sharks Joe Thornton
St. Louis Blues David Backes
Tampa Bay Lightning Vincent Lecavalier
Toronto Maple Leafs Dion Phaneuf
Vancouver Canucks Henrik Sedin
Washington Capitals Alexander Ovechkin
Winnipeg Jets Andrew Ladd

I'd say the majority are the best player, but not all.
They're all top 3 players on their team except for Callahan, Horcoff and arguably Alfredsson. Not necessarily THE best, but close to it.

smitty10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 02:51 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
They're all top 3 players on their team except for Callahan, Horcoff and arguably Alfredsson. Not necessarily THE best, but close to it.
Morrow is not on Dallas. I don't think Gionta is on the Canadiens either. Ladd is close

10-09-2012, 02:57 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Captains aren't really very important.

That being said, it seems to work best when your captain is not only a good leader, but your best player as well - i.e. the guy you want on the ice in the biggest moments of the game.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 02:57 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Morrow is not on Dallas. I don't think Gionta is on the Canadiens either. Ladd is close
Kopitar, Tavares are two obvious if you're going by best.

I didn't say they wouldn't be good players, I said they should be go to, but with intangibles.

Old
10-09-2012, 04:15 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
You're right on both Gionta and Morrow. Ladd is arguable; he brings a good mix of offense, defense, grit and leadership. I think that he's better than Kane and trails Enstrom and Byfuglien so I'd say he's the third best on the team. Kane may be better in a year or so.

Who will become captain of Columbus? Anyone else think it'll be Jack Johnson? And what about Florida? Campbell, Weiss, Jovo or Gudbranson?

smitty10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 07:16 AM
Stephen23

There is a nice little article on Biggs "Leafs prospect Biggs enjoying new digs"

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../20271356.html

Quote:
If Tyler Biggs felt robbed not getting a chance at the locked out Maple Leafs camp or being held back from the Toronto Marlies, he’s getting even and then some in the OHL.

His Oshawa Generals have a league-best record of 6-1 heading into this week and it’s in part because the Leafs first-rounder is playing such a vital support role to early season league scoring leader Boone Jenner. The latter, a Blue Jackets’ blue-chipper, has 16 points, while Biggs is averaging one a game, with the playing time he wasn’t afforded as a freshman at Miami (Ohio) University last year.

“I think Tyler and Michael Dal Colle are the perfect complement on that line for Boone,” said Oshawa general manager Jeff Twohey. “Tyler and Michael work very well down low and they have a way of finding Boone. And when the puck is turned over, they’re all committed to defence.

“Tyler is treating this like his first pro season. He’s not a kid anymore, he’s a man. He had a great outlook after (the NHL lockout changed plans). And had we lost him to the Marlies, it’s fair to say we wouldn’t be 6-1 right now.”

Twohey says he’s connected with Biggs on another level, a mutual love of military history books.

“I started reading No Easy Day, the Navy Seals book, and saw he got it the same day,” Twohey said. “It’s great when you can discuss a topic such as that with someone his age.

“I don’t know if he’ll ever be flashy, but he has five goals now and it’s a credit to the Leafs that he’s this mature.”

Dave Poulin, the Leafs’ vice-president, director of hockey operations, is ecstatic at the direction Biggs has taken so far.

“He’s playing a complete game as we hoped,” Poulin said. “We liked it, too, that he is being challenged a few times by his coach (DJ Smith). If something happens, we’ve seen Tyler get sat him out a shift, but he responds.”

Stephen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 08:46 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
You're right on both Gionta and Morrow. Ladd is arguable; he brings a good mix of offense, defense, grit and leadership. I think that he's better than Kane and trails Enstrom and Byfuglien so I'd say he's the third best on the team. Kane may be better in a year or so.

Who will become captain of Columbus? Anyone else think it'll be Jack Johnson? And what about Florida? Campbell, Weiss, Jovo or Gudbranson?
Honestly, Columbus should give it to Umberger. And Florida should definitely give it to Soupy.

Also sounds like the perfect development for Biggs right now. He's focused on defense and working down low and letting the offense come to him.

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 08:54 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen23 View Post
There is a nice little article on Biggs "Leafs prospect Biggs enjoying new digs"

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../20271356.html
Wonder if Boone Jenner would be having the season he is having without Tyler Biggs on his line, I wanted Jenner when we were mentioned in the Nash sweepstakes last year. I doubt he is available now. Getzlaf and Perry lite? Burkie make it happen, one can hope. Give them Grabo for Jenner, and hope Howson has a brain cramp.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 08:59 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Wonder if Boone Jenner would be having the season he is having without Tyler Biggs on his line, I wanted Jenner when we were mentioned in the Nash sweepstakes last year. I doubt he is available now. Getzlaf and Perry lite? Burkie make it happen, one can hope. Give them Grabo for Jenner, and hope Howson has a brain cramp.
Burke isn't trading his top center for a prospect that won't help the team for a couple years.

More likely move would be winger or prospects involved. Kadri for Jenner makes more sense, doesn't hurt the NHL team at all.

Old
10-10-2012, 08:59 AM
Pilgore88

Quote:
He has double the points on the same line, so very likely he would. The fact that Biggs is producing at a PPG clip along with his other aspects is a very good sign for leafs fans.

And Jenner is not Worth Grabo

Pilgore88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 09:02 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Burke isn't trading his top center for a prospect that won't help the team for a couple years.

More likely move would be winger or prospects involved. Kadri for Jenner makes more sense, doesn't hurt the NHL team at all.
As much as I like Bozak, I like the thought of trading a team's default top Center.

Old
10-10-2012, 09:05 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
He has double the points on the same line, so very likely he would. The fact that Biggs is producing at a PPG clip along with his other aspects is a very good sign for leafs fans.

Many GM's would disagree.

Old
10-10-2012, 09:06 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post

And if we look at last year's playoffs for Jenner's production perhaps we're seeing both the addition of Biggs and the evolution in Jenner's game. He only played 43 games last year, so I'll speculate he was injured.

Old
10-10-2012, 09:07 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Many GM's would disagree.
Yeah because a player who has yet to produce in the NHL is worth more then a top 30 centre in the league. Leave Grabo alone.

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote