HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Your exciting new rule changes for when the NHL comes back!

Old
10-06-2012, 11:33 AM
Ratty

vCash: 500
Taking this opportunity to renew my campaign for goalies to serve their penalties. We do carry two, don't we?

Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 11:58 AM
EverettMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
Taking this opportunity to renew my campaign for goalies to serve their penalties. We do carry two, don't we?
Let's call this idea "New Coke."

EverettMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 12:05 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
These to speed up the game/create more offense

1. No touch icing
2. Get rid of the trapezoid
3. All penalties must be served in full even if scored on
4. Change delayed offside so that you can still carry the puck into the zone, but the players that were in the zone must clear before getting involved in the play
5. Line changes can only be done on the fly or when in your offensive zone.

Others I'd like to see

6. A set number of game suspensions for suspendable offenses.
7. Allow linesmen to call certain penalties
8. Coaches right to have a play reviewed ( 1 per game )
9. Get rid of the instigator penalty
10. Play 4 on 4 for matching fighting majors
11. Go to a 3-2-1 point system

1.How does no-touch icing speed up the game? It will lead to more whistles IMO.
2. yes
3.Do not like
4. Would be too hard for the linesmen and would result in a lot of complications
5. yes
6. I don't like suspensions, but not a real problem if added
7. They can now, but they can't stop play
8. yes
9. Double yes
10. This would be good since the fighters could get out during play and go again right away, so yes
11. I'd rather see 0 points for a loss, but this does pretty much the same thing.

I would like to see the puck over the glass rule GTFO.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 12:33 PM
Dr Quincy

Penalty doesn't end when goal is scored.

Call instigator more.

Call obstruction intereference more.

I like OOG's offside rule.

Enforce goalie equipment.

Move blue lines 2 ft towards center ice. Move goalies 2 ft closer to blue lines.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 01:46 PM
eightspokedb
pickee chickadee

vCash: 50
Any media person who mentions Cindy Crosby gets spritzed by a water bottle - especially when Pittsburgh isn't playing that night.

Did the NHL pass a rule 'he who should not be named' has to be talked about every single game?

And no more bench interviews - during warmups, during the game, or after the game. LEAVE THE COACHES ALONE.

Last edited by eightspokedb: 10-06-2012 at 01:51 PM. Reason: additional venting
eightspokedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 02:14 PM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
1.How does no-touch icing speed up the game? It will lead to more whistles IMO.
2. yes
3.Do not like
4. Would be too hard for the linesmen and would result in a lot of complications
5. yes
6. I don't like suspensions, but not a real problem if added
7. They can now, but they can't stop play
8. yes
9. Double yes
10. This would be good since the fighters could get out during play and go again right away, so yes
11. I'd rather see 0 points for a loss, but this does pretty much the same thing.

I would like to see the puck over the glass rule GTFO.
1. Except for the rare time an icing is negated, you're not waiting for someone to go back and touch the puck while the defensive team tries to sneak a change in and the officials have to stand there and waste time getting the right players back on the ice, Sounds faster to me.

4. It's no different then the current tag up rule except that one player can carry the puck in while everyone else has to tag up. For example, you Joe, Dan and Lou are trapped in the zone. I, being the PMD you so want LOL can carry into the zone but the 4 of you must tag up and can not re-enter until the 4 of you have. How is that any harder then it is now? I'm only asking because you've officiated at a high level and fail to see how it would be harder

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 01:31 PM
steg1989

Send a message via AIM to steg1989 Send a message via Yahoo to steg1989
The OP's proposed rule changes, I think are hella retarded.

- No instigator
- No more garbage suspensions
- No more trapezoid

steg1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 04:16 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
1. Except for the rare time an icing is negated, you're not waiting for someone to go back and touch the puck while the defensive team tries to sneak a change in and the officials have to stand there and waste time getting the right players back on the ice, Sounds faster to me.

4. It's no different then the current tag up rule except that one player can carry the puck in while everyone else has to tag up. For example, you Joe, Dan and Lou are trapped in the zone. I, being the PMD you so want LOL can carry into the zone but the 4 of you must tag up and can not re-enter until the 4 of you have. How is that any harder then it is now? I'm only asking because you've officiated at a high level and fail to see how it would be harder
1. There are many teams that use the touch icing to their advantage to beat out the d-men and keep the play going, the Bruins do it quite often.

4. Trust me, it would end up being very complicated, the game looks completely different from the ice than the PB. Basically what a team could do is just stick a forward in the other team's zone and it would likely result in 4 on 4 for the most part. There would be no more automatic offisde calls as a player could carry the puck over the blue line with out anyone having to clear. I just don't see how this will make the game any better and it would be very hard for the linesmen and would result in a lot of bad calls being made.

Old
10-08-2012, 05:53 PM
Montecristo

give the coaches a challenge flag to throw on one penalty called per game. Go to the tape, if it is found out that an opposing player embellished (flopped) in order to get a penalty called, the ref will come back and take your player out of the box and put the flopper in the box. If the coach loses his challenge he loses his time out for the game, much like football.

This rule brings would have helped the bruins this year against the pens when letang pretended that pevs hit him in the face with his stick, penguins scored on the PP and that was the game.

Montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 08:47 PM
ksp1957

vCash: 361
Send a message via AIM to ksp1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecristo View Post
give the coaches a challenge flag to throw on one penalty called per game. Go to the tape, if it is found out that an opposing player embellished (flopped) in order to get a penalty called, the ref will come back and take your player out of the box and put the flopper in the box and tasered the entire time he's in the box. If the coach loses his challenge he loses his time out for the game, much like football.

This rule brings would have helped the bruins this year against the pens when letang pretended that pevs hit him in the face with his stick, penguins scored on the PP and that was the game.
I'd like to see the above and wish for the bolded I added.

ksp1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 08:43 AM
Mazzie

I have a love/hate relationship with the delay of game penalty for shooting the puck over the glass. I am strongly in favor of some kind of punishment for doing it, because its a weak play and slows the game down (when its intentional), but I think 2 min in the box is too heavy. It sucks when a player chips it over, and its entirely obvious to everyone that it was unintentional, but a PP is awarded and the momentum of the game changes over a technicality.

My proposal is that the rule stay exactly the same but they change the punishment. What would happen is that the player who shoots it over must come off the ice (to the bench), and they can't change lines. They drop the puck with only 4 defending skaters. The shorthanded team can't put the 5th skater back on the ice until their team has cleared the zone.

I really hate the trapezoid rule. The way I see it, they created that rule to make it easier for teams to beat the trap. Well it took the coaches all of one game to adjust the trap to not rely on the goalie so much, and sometimes I think its actually worse now (Tampa). Also, when combined with touch-icing it has resulted in way too many injuries. They need to kill the trapezoid rule and go to no-touch icing.

Mazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 08:56 AM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzie View Post
I have a love/hate relationship with the delay of game penalty for shooting the puck over the glass. I am strongly in favor of some kind of punishment for doing it, because its a weak play and slows the game down (when its intentional), but I think 2 min in the box is too heavy. It sucks when a player chips it over, and its entirely obvious to everyone that it was unintentional, but a PP is awarded and the momentum of the game changes over a technicality.

My proposal is that the rule stay exactly the same but they change the punishment. What would happen is that the player who shoots it over must come off the ice (to the bench), and they can't change lines. They drop the puck with only 4 defending skaters. The shorthanded team can't put the 5th skater back on the ice until their team has cleared the zone.

I really hate the trapezoid rule. The way I see it, they created that rule to make it easier for teams to beat the trap. Well it took the coaches all of one game to adjust the trap to not rely on the goalie so much, and sometimes I think its actually worse now (Tampa). Also, when combined with touch-icing it has resulted in way too many injuries. They need to kill the trapezoid rule and go to no-touch icing.
I'd rather it just be a no-change situation. The way you describe would lead to a lot of breakaways and odd man rushes for the offending team. Most of the time when a player shoots the puck over the glass it's because he's tired and makes a poor decision, same as icing IMO. So I would like it to be a no change after the puck is out of play. I think currently it's a ****** rule.

Old
10-09-2012, 09:32 AM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mand THW View Post
My number one change - though not a rule - would be to bring back the FoxTrax glow-puck.
I realize your being facetious but I actually thought that was going to be pretty cool.

I saw video of them testing it, and originally there was just a thin black line that followed the puck around. That made sense to me because in real life, when something darts across your eye you see a trail behind it. On TV, when someone shoots the puck it just disappears and reappears because it moves too fast for the frames. So I thought this was going to bridge that gap and it was cool that you could see tips and deflections as breaks in that trailing line... but they ****ed it all up when they decided to make it a huge red comet tail.

You'd think they could have used that technology to determine if a puck crossed the goal line as well. I wonder where they'd be if they just kept it subtle and simple, and tried to mimic reality.

Last edited by Bill Ladd: 10-09-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Bill Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 09:39 AM
bp13

Dom mentioned it and I've been saying it for years. Penalties should be served in full regardless of whether there's a goal scored. I have yet to hear an explanation as to why this isn't the case.

I realize it wouldn't add a ton of goals, but it'd add a few. And if you up the avg. per game just a hair you force teams to think more about offense, which can't be a bad thing.

bp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 09:44 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
Dom mentioned it and I've been saying it for years. Penalties should be served in full regardless of whether there's a goal scored. I have yet to hear an explanation as to why this isn't the case.

I realize it wouldn't add a ton of goals, but it'd add a few. And if you up the avg. per game just a hair you force teams to think more about offense, which can't be a bad thing.
Because the Montreal Canadiens were too good.

Also see reason you can ice the puck on the PK.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 10:02 AM
BlackNgold 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
If a penalty is committed on a play, the instigator is negated.

To all the tie haters... what did you do playing hockey growing up? How ever did you survive all those ties? I blame the 2000 baseball all star game for starting this "war on ties" which of course the self loathing NHL took and ran with.
Remember the 4th column? haha.. the shootout has lost its luster though. I can't really stand it anymore.. especially since the bruins usually suck at it. I like what dom said.. 3-2-1 point system.

BlackNgold 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 10:06 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNgold 84 View Post
Remember the 4th column? haha.. the shootout has lost its luster though. I can't really stand it anymore.. especially since the bruins usually suck at it. I like what dom said.. 3-2-1 point system.
The thing about the "4th column" or the OTL column is that it was never marketed correctly.

Its stupid to get a point for an "overtime loss" however, doesn't a "regulation tie" sound better and make more sense?

You are awarded for a point for ending regulation 5 on 5 play, tied. Now you play a gimmicky 4 on 4 OT/ Shootout to get the other point/

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 10:10 AM
patty59

I don't think they need to add any new 'rules' if anything, they could stand to lose quite a few.

What is with the NHL and their ever changing rules? Why do they need to change it up every year?

Old
10-09-2012, 10:15 AM
BlackNgold 84

Quote:
The thing about the "4th column" or the OTL column is that it was never marketed correctly.

Its stupid to get a point for an "overtime loss" however, doesn't a "regulation tie" sound better and make more sense?

You are awarded for a point for ending regulation 5 on 5 play, tied. Now you play a gimmicky 4 on 4 OT/ Shootout to get the other point/
Agreed..AT first i was for the shootout.. now i've become a crumugeon about it.. also after philly got in 2010 pretty much soured it for me.

Quote:
I don't think they need to add any new 'rules' if anything, they could stand to lose quite a few.

What is with the NHL and their ever changing rules? Why do they need to change it up every year?
because we're like a bunch of monkeys? we need constant stimuli? no clue haha.

Old
10-09-2012, 10:27 AM
bp13

Quote:
Because the Montreal Canadiens were too good.

Also see reason you can ice the puck on the PK.
Well they're no longer very good. Time to change the rule back.

bp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 10:32 AM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNgold 84 View Post
Agreed..AT first i was for the shootout.. now i've become a crumugeon about it.. also after philly got in 2010 pretty much soured it for me.

because we're like a bunch of monkeys? we need constant stimuli? no clue haha
could be.

But from my experience, hockey fans are hockey fans, no one is going to start watching hockey because they started calling penalties for shooting the puck over the glass or because of a shootout.

Old
10-09-2012, 10:45 AM
BlackNgold 84

Quote:
could be.

But from my experience, hockey fans are hockey fans, no one is going to start watching hockey because they started calling penalties for shooting the puck over the glass or because of a shootout.
Very true.. hockey fans are a peculiar breed. Probabley more the diehard of any of the major sports. The league shouldn't curtail the violence or certain penalties to satisfy people who aren't going to get into the game.

Old
10-09-2012, 11:58 AM
Neely08

There's some really good ideas in here.

How a/b if you're hit w/ a puck on the bench. You're out of the game.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 12:29 PM
EverettMike

BRUINS SPECIFIC!

Make the mother-****ing nets behind the goals white instead of black.

EverettMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 01:00 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
BRUINS SPECIFIC!

Make the mother-****ing nets behind the goals white instead of black.
Also, get rid of the behind the net cam on the PP.