HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Is it realistic to trade Grabo and make room for our prospects?

Closed Thread

Old
10-09-2012, 09:26 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

vCash: 500
Is it realistic to trade Grabo and make room for our prospects?

Lets face it. We are not good enough a team to make the *post season this year. We have Connolly who's suited to play 2nd, and Bozak is really best suited for the third line role. I say we open up a roster spot to get our young centers some experience:

Lupul Colborne/McKeggerz Kessel
Mac Kadri/Connolly JVR
Lombo/Frattin Bozak Kuli
Brown/Deschamps McClement Steckel/Komarov/Orr

*yes I know there's a lock out and I know there might not be a season.

It's time to assume that our prospects have matured enough, so let's give them some NHL games.

Grabo is not the future.

Old
10-09-2012, 09:32 AM
Dangles McGavin
#Snip Bar South

No it's not. #yolo

Old
10-09-2012, 09:34 AM
jmart21
MISC!!!

You don't trade away players to make room for players that haven't knocked the door down.

What prospect has show they are so NHL ready we have to trade one of our best forwards for them to play?

Old
10-09-2012, 09:41 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
Lets face it. We are not good enough a team to make the *post season this year. We have Connolly who's suited to play 2nd, and Bozak is really best suited for the third line role. I say we open up a roster spot to get our young centers some experience:

Lupul Colborne/McKeggerz Kessel
Mac Kadri/Connolly JVR
Lombo/Frattin Bozak Kuli
Brown/Deschamps McClement Steckel/Komarov/Orr

*yes I know there's a lock out and I know there might not be a season.

It's time to assume that our prospects have matured enough, so let's give them some NHL games.

Grabo is not the future.
Every player is open for trade on this team.

It just depends on the return.

If grabo is packaged for a true #1 C or G, sure.

If packaged for a younger high potential player, sure.

Packaged for a 1rst on a weak team,sure.

Move him just to make room? No thanks.

I'd rather see Boz,Lamb,Mac and Con gone first to make room upfront.

Old
10-09-2012, 09:49 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

It goes without saying that you trade Grabo for an appropriate return. That being said you also have to make room for prospects in a post lockout era.

Old
10-09-2012, 09:51 AM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
uhhhhhhh no....

lets trade our best players to give our decent one's a chance.... that's what you are implying..

Old
10-09-2012, 09:54 AM
Dangles McGavin
#Snip Bar South

I would trade Grabo for the right return, in a heartbeat.

But I'm not trading Grrraaaabovvskiiiiiii for someone to take his spot.

I think Jumbo Joe is getting there, but isn't there yet. I also think he's more suited for a young-guns shutdown/occasional offensive spark third line.

Old
10-09-2012, 09:55 AM
Spazmatic Dan
The Leafs Are Good

Is it realistic for a team lacking top skill at center to trade its most skilled center without receiving a better one in return and instead relying on prospects that have yet to make the NHL?

No. No its not. At least not if that team is trying to make the playoffs.

Old
10-09-2012, 09:59 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

OP, it all depends on what we can get in return for Grabo. I personally do not see him being a good enough center to win a stanley cup with. Obviously thats the goal. Why stop gap at a possition when we can pottentially develop a star? Hes in the prime of his career, it may be a good time to sell.

If we can convince menesotta to give up their 1st id do it in a heart beat. Obviously then hope we go into a full season lock out.

This up coming draft looks phenomenal. I would love to get my hands on a center and max domi.

Menosotta would be slotted in the #6 spot if the next draft were to go to a lottery/lockout

Old
10-09-2012, 10:06 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
OP, it all depends on what we can get in return for Grabo. I personally do not see him being a good enough center to win a stanley cup with. Obviously thats the goal. Why stop gap at a possition when we can pottentially develop a star? Hes in the prime of his career, it may be a good time to sell.

If we can convince menesotta to give up their 1st id do it in a heart beat. Obviously then hope we go into a full season lock out.

This up coming draft looks phenomenal. I would love to get my hands on a center and max domi.

Menosotta would be slotted in the #6 spot if the next draft were to go to a lottery/lockout
Good Post!

Old
10-09-2012, 10:08 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post

There's not much logic to this post. You can't trade him until a lockout is over, there's no guarantee Minny get's 6th overall and if there is a season Minny will be a playoff team.

Old
10-09-2012, 10:09 AM
SuperJayMann

Grabs is a solid second line center, we won't trade him unless it's an offer we can't refuse.

Old
10-09-2012, 10:11 AM
DaveT83

Trade Kessel first.

Old
10-09-2012, 10:15 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasmatic Dan View Post
Is it realistic for a team lacking top skill at center to trade its most skilled center without receiving a better one in return and instead relying on prospects that have yet to make the NHL?

No. No its not. At least not if that team is trying to make the playoffs.
Olli Jokinen used to be the playoff futility poster boy. I would say that Grabo is going down a path that might rival him.

We have achieved nothing with Grabo as "our best center", so what would be the harm?

Old
10-09-2012, 10:15 AM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

1. Acquire good players
2. Trade good players
3. ????
4. Profit

Old
10-09-2012, 10:20 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

no. i think this team can compete for a playoff spot

Old
10-09-2012, 10:26 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
You don't trade away players to make room for players that haven't knocked the door down.

What prospect has shown they are so NHL ready we have to trade one of our best forwards for them to play?
Therein lies the problem, and speaks to the quality of the Leafs prospect pool.

We don't seem to have prospects worthy of this, and its more the Connolly and Bozak depth/role players that are being pushed then top 6 forward positions.

While Grabs is a solid 2nd line center, there is no one qualified today to take his job within the system.

10-09-2012, 10:28 AM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Grabo's definitely not the guy to move.

I wouldn't mind seeing Bozak and Connolly replaced by Kadri and Colborne, though. And more injection of prospects battling for spots in the lineup in general.

Lupul - Kadri - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - MacArthur
Frattin - Colborne - Kulemin
Brown - McClement - Ashton/D'Amigo/Komarov

Old
10-09-2012, 10:37 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post

I wouldn't mind seeing Bozak and Connolly replaced by Kadri and Colborne, though. And more injection of prospects battling for spots in the lineup in general.

Lupul - Kadri - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - MacArthur
I like this post. I don't know about Kadri at 1C, but I'd certainly like to see what it looks like. If we do see LKK together I would want our strongest defensive pair with them. Like Gunn and Holzer.

Old
10-09-2012, 10:39 AM
caribouPINE

So you want to play Connolly, who is even LESS of our future, than Grabbo?

Not to mention... a player signed for 5 years is part of the present and future, any way you slice it.

Bozak-Grabbo-*oneoftheyoungkidsyoufawnover

Old
10-09-2012, 10:39 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post

Lupul - Kadri - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - MacArthur
I've suggested a "kids" 3rd line secondary support role for Kadri --- Colborne -- Frattin trio to start their NHL portion of their careers.

Allow the responsibility of carrying the team to fall on the shoulders of the Top 6 forwards and the 4th liners to take care of the grit,checking and Pk-ing roles.

"Play the Kids", but in roles where they can succeed and not fail is the formula for successful development.

Old
10-09-2012, 10:41 AM
Sergei Berezin

He's a good #2C, who has shown nothing but heart and passion in his time as a Leaf. I don't even consider moving him until Kadri or Colborne show they have what it takes to be at least a #2C or if someone is willing to send a #1 back to the Leafs for Grabo.

Old
10-09-2012, 10:45 AM
416Leafer

Lupul, Bozak, MacArthur, and Connolly are all UFAs. I hope we sell off 2 of them at the deadline for sky-high prices. Maybe even 3 of them. I would move them before moving Grabo.

Connolly - Is older, and pretty inconsistent. Not a guy to build around
MacArthur - Is a very "meh" top 6 winger. He can put up some points, isn't particularly good defensively, and isn't a physical menace. Not a guy to build around
Bozak - Has questionable offence, has yet to break 50 points despite playing on the top line with Kessel for 2 years. His defensive game is about average. If he could really develop his defensive game, he could maybe a pretty good 3rd line C. But as is, he doesnt have the offence for top 6, or the defence for 3rd line C

Lupul - Probably the only one worth keeping. Has some size and broke out offensively last year. If he can become a consistent ~55-65 point winger with size, that's a pretty useful commodity.

Old
10-09-2012, 10:48 AM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

You don't trade one of the best second line centres in the league to make room for Tim Connolly, who definitely won't be on this team next season, or past this season's trade deadline if you ask me.

Plus, you're proposing Greg McKegg as our first line centre?? He hasn't even made the Marlies yet. My god. There is so much wrong with your reasoning.

Old
10-09-2012, 10:51 AM
dfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
Olli Jokinen used to be the playoff futility poster boy. I would say that Grabo is going down a path that might rival him.

We have achieved nothing with Grabo as "our best center", so what would be the harm?
Comparing Grabo and Jokinen's path is apples and oranges. Olli's suited up for 6 different NHL teams, Grabo 2. Jokinen is 34, Grabo 28. Not to mention completely different styles of play.

Based on your logic, while we've achieved nothing as him as our best center, we also haven't achieved anything with Phaneuf as our best Dman or Kessel as our best forward. So let's ship them out too and replace them with prospects?

Closed Thread