HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers during the lockout (12/12: Stepan, McDonagh, Nash, Del Zotto return home)

Old
10-09-2012, 04:41 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

vCash: 500
I'd rather him in Sweden, or Switzerland with Nash. But the KHL will provide some good hockey for Mac truck. Just stay safe kiddo.

I'm surprised he didn't convince Step to head there with him, I wonder how they're going to be without each other for a little bit

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 04:41 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Right, besides the Russian investigators sighting blood and urine samples confirming that he was. Must just be a huge conspiracy.

Its a tragedy the kid died. Its a tragedy that he was allowed to play professional hockey with a serious heart condition. These things are probably all connected and likely why he did turn to blood doping.

But that doesnt mean you're entitled to your own facts on this.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...od-doping.html
Yeah there were a lot of articles posted about him doping. But did you read any of the updates that came after? I'm on my phone so I can't post a link, so you'll have to look for yourself. Bottom line is that he was being treated by team doctors for his heart condition. Everything he did was at their direction. You make it sound like he was doing something on his own to get a competitive advantage, and that's just not right or fair.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 05:30 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

I'd much rather him have gone to the SEL, but I'm not gonna complain.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 05:51 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Is it safe to assume that all players who sign in Europe have NHL out clauses in the case that the NHL season begins this year?

Khelvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 05:56 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khelvan View Post
Is it safe to assume that all players who sign in Europe have NHL out clauses in the case that the NHL season begins this year?
Yes. If they don't, it's a big news story. Plus there's a transfer agreement between the KHL and NHL so McDonagh who already had an NHL contract, would have to honor it.

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 06:14 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Its better than stalling his development by not playing. McD, Kreider, and Hagelin all have hockey to play. Thats a good thing. Stepan needs to find a place to play as well.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 06:19 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Oh please.
Mafia as owners, Vityaz Chekhov literally grabbing players and punching them out, airplanes, inept team doctors, etc.

I'd much rather him play in a 3rd tier Spanish hockey league than go to the KHL for their past reputation. Don't like it one bit.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 06:27 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Mafia as owners
I don't know if the Mafia actually owns any teams or not, but what players have been harmed by this in the past?

Quote:
Vityaz Chekhov literally grabbing players and punching them out
Because that kind of stuff never happens in the NHL...

Quote:
airplanes
The chance of getting injured in a plane crash, even in big bad Russia, is negligible

Quote:
inept team doctors
Again happens in the NHL too. Ask Eric Lindros or the family of Derek Boogaard.

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 06:41 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
This is not even comparable. There are few doctors in the world at the cutting edge of concussion treatments, it just isn't developed. The issue with the medical care in the KHL is that so much of it is preventable with proper training and funding for appropriate equipment.

Regardless, McDonagh is going. As Fitzy said at the end of the day it is a great league for McD to develop on the ice. Hopefully he gets comfortable opening up his offensive register a bit more.

Let's just also hope when he comes back he remembers how to block shots and play defense for our 2015 Cup chase.

10-09-2012, 06:54 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

I like it. These are world class athletes. Sitting around isn't going to do them any good.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 10:10 PM
M Gaz
Au revoir Shosanna!

Jesus people it's Russia not a WWII battlefield. MacTruck is just that: a truck. He'll be fine over there if this lockout only lasts a couple months.

M Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 10:23 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
I don't know if the Mafia actually owns any teams or not, but what players have been harmed by this in the past?
Uh. Quite a few.

Oleg Tverdovsky's parents were kidnapped, Roman Lyashenko died under mysterious circumstances, Mogilny was nearly extorted by a Russian mobster, Alexei Zhitnik was beaten up in the US due to not paying his dues, etc.

There are likely a number of other smaller name players out there who simply have flown under the radar.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 10:37 PM
Kershaw

Quote:

http://www.playthegame.org/news/deta...ckey-1071.html

Quote:
Because that kind of stuff never happens in the NHL...
Not to the extent Vityaz gets away with. Their owner is a boxer I believe. They are the worst team in the league I believe and their sole purpose is to attract fans for boxing match on ice. This is the same team that had their captain that famously did a homerun swing on an innocent player.

Quote:
The chance of getting injured in a plane crash, even in big bad Russia, is negligible
Obviously. Even so, look at past pedigree. This is something that happened only last yr.

Quote:
Don't see anything wrong with Lindros. He may not live longer because of his head problems, but that was his choice with his brutal style of play. Hardly comparable. As for Boogaard, I don't think NHL doctors played a large part in his offseason pill-taking.

Cherapanov? I'm still overly bitter about that. Can't believe the time it took to get the local ambulance. I have never been more devastated following hockey. Makes me get all depressed thinking about it.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 11:19 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

I don't want the guys in the KHL. Its...subpar safety wise. Much rather have them in the SEL or Liga... safer

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 11:41 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Yeah there were a lot of articles posted about him doping. But did you read any of the updates that came after? I'm on my phone so I can't post a link, so you'll have to look for yourself. Bottom line is that he was being treated by team doctors for his heart condition. Everything he did was at their direction. You make it sound like he was doing something on his own to get a competitive advantage, and that's just not right or fair.
yeah, thats how i remember it too....there were those allegations that turned out to be completely unfounded.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 11:49 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
I don't want the guys in the KHL. Its...subpar safety wise. Much rather have them in the SEL or Liga... safer
Most European leagues have a limit on the number of foreign players allowed. Unless a North American player holds dual-citizenship, most rosters are set with the foreign players they will go with for the season.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 12:13 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Mafia as owners
let's hope he's on one of those teams then

personally i'm glad he's playing somewhere-- especially somewhere i can get streams of.

i'm not too happy that it's the KHL as i agree it's not the 'safest' league there is, but i'm confident that he'll keep his eyes open and in terms of competitiveness the KHL is probably the closest to the NHL so he'll stay in the best possible shape while skating over there. big ice gives him a lot of room to stretch those legs of his, and he'll be developing that offensive game as well as his shot on the bigger surface as well.

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 08:12 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Hagelin had 2 assists in his first game. Nash has 4 goals and 1 assist in 4 games.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 08:32 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
yeah, thats how i remember it too....there were those allegations that turned out to be completely unfounded.
Ive yet to see one legitimate report that debunks the original report from Russian investigators stating they found evidence of blood doping in Cherepanov's blood and urine samples. This report also went on to chastise the KHL and his team's management for letting him play with a serious heart condition. If someone could post one, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 08:35 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Ive yet to see one legitimate report that debunks the original report from Russian investigators stating they found evidence of blood doping in Cherepanov's blood and urine samples. This report also went on to chastise the KHL and his team's management for letting him play with a serious heart condition. If someone could post one, I'd greatly appreciate it.
I remember a lot of conflicting information. Some said his doctors knew about it and it was a legitimate treatment, others said everyone was unaware, etc. It's hard to get concrete, reliable information out of that league. I'm not sure we'll ever know if he was truly being treated or if he was in fact doping.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 09:50 AM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
While the money is very good (more about that later), the KHL will never be taken 100 per cent seriously until there are fewer contract disputes. A few players politely declined to talk to us because they were fighting over money owed to them. Speaking out, they felt, would cost them any chance of settlement.

One player who did agree to talk is John Grahame, still fighting for almost $3 million. You will hear his story on Saturday night. People in the KHL will argue that, so far, Russian courts have ruled against him. However, North Americans who've been there believe Grahame - even the ones who liked being there. That perception will hurt growth.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/ellio...y-country.html

Friedman is a great reporter. The 30 thoughts are also KHL specific.

EDIT: This is from 2 years ago, but I am sure many of the same issues are still prevalent.

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 10:05 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

the testing system in place for the NHL is known for being shoddy. if anything as a member of the IIHF the khl has even more strict guidelines (i don't feel like checking). i don't have any doubt he was using to enhance his performance.

multiple people have come out and said doping is a regular thing in the nhl(georges laraque is one).

testing system is allegedly only from training camp til the end of the regular season (according to the 05 cba(?)). basically this means that players are free to dope in the 4 months of the offseason as well as the playoffs to improve their conditioning... i also saw another source state that they only urine test and do not test with WODA's(who called the nhl's anti-doping policies inadequate) guidelines.

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 12:09 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I remember a lot of conflicting information. Some said his doctors knew about it and it was a legitimate treatment, others said everyone was unaware, etc. It's hard to get concrete, reliable information out of that league. I'm not sure we'll ever know if he was truly being treated or if he was in fact doping.
Well based on the conflicting info, one of two things is true:

- He had some serious problems and he shouldn't be playing hockey
- He was blood doping

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I just wish the defibrillator had been working and the kid had gotten a fair chance. Fabrice Muamba's heart stopped for 45 minutes in a soccer game but because he got the proper care, he pulled through.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
The reason I am against him being in the KHL is definitely for safety reasons. I'd prefer McDonagh to go to an easier league more known for it's safety (such as the Swiss league). All he needs to do is stay in game shape.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote