HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Thinking of playing Goalie at age 32

Old
10-09-2012, 10:32 AM
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie

vCash: 500
Now I just have to find a goalie clinic in MN. You'd think it would be easy, but there doesn't seem to be a lot out there right now and I'm itching to go play. I don't want to wait a month, I'm ready to do this today!! so pumped!

I'm going to do some dryland today. Throw on my skates and pads on some old carpet. Practice butterfly and getting up and down. Any other advice I'd appreciate. Thanks guys!

FreshNsoClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 11:40 AM
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie

Just found a clinic for this Sat & Sun. Signed up and can't wait!

CLINIC DETAILS
Two 1.5 hour sessions of on-ice instruction led by professional goaltending instructors
Sessions will be facilitated by skilled and hockey-knowledgeable shooters to ensure proper drill execution
Sessions will be video-taped for later off-ice analysis
Two 30 minute off-ice classroom discussions/instructions and video analysis
Limited to 16 individuals who register and pay
Free XXXL Hockey Finder Jersey - Choice between white or green
Registration - $95. !

SCHEDULE
10/13 - 9:20am - Rink 7 (90 minutes)
10/13 - 11:00am - Rink 7 (30 minutes)
10/14 - 9:20am - Rink 7 (90 minutes)
10/14 - 11:00am - Rink 7 (30 minutes)

Hockeyfinder.com, in partnership with Jason Muthart, is proud to announce the Fall 2012 Adult Goaltending Clinic Weekend! The clinic will take place at the Super Rink in Blaine on Oct 13th & 14th. It is open to goaltenders of all skill levels. So whether you’re a beginner looking to learn the basics or an experience veteran needing to fine-tune your game, this event is for you!

Old
10-09-2012, 01:17 PM
CoopALoop

Responded to your PM before seeing that you already snagged some gear.

Looks like a great set man. You're rocking some colour to, which many tenders (myself included) aren't doing as much these days.

Go get those suckers some rubber.

CoopALoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 04:56 PM
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie

Well I hit open skate today with my goalie skates. They're awesome! I didn't notice, a huge difference between my regular skates. I honestly feel I could've played a normal game as a skater in them! That comfortable! I practiced going up and skating back at multiple angles. Then I practiced by pushing my way across the crease going side to side. Felt good!

I posted my pad setup on facebook Goalie Gear *****. While the pic looks like my chest protector is thin (not that bad), multiple goalies that have used the Vaughn V3 7500 recommend I add additional padding. What do you guys think and how do I go about doin that?

Old
10-09-2012, 05:29 PM
HockeyStickHomicide
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshnsoclean View Post
While the pic looks like my chest protector is thin (not that bad), multiple goalies that have used the Vaughn V3 7500 recommend I add additional padding. What do you guys think and how do I go about doin that?
The arms are the problem with the 7500. I received a few stingers before swapping the 7500 arms out with my old PII's arms. If you are facing anyone that can properly shoot a puck, I would recommend a mod like that.

Head over to the goalie store forums. There is a ton of info on C/A mods, padded undershirts and etc. You should be able to get feedback from people and make the decision that would best suit you.

Have fun between the pipes!

Edit: Also you want that heart gaurd to flap over your shoulder floaters.

Last edited by HockeyStickHomicide: 10-09-2012 at 05:38 PM.
HockeyStickHomicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 05:53 PM
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyStickHomicide View Post
The arms are the problem with the 7500. I received a few stingers before swapping the 7500 arms out with my old PII's arms. If you are facing anyone that can properly shoot a puck, I would recommend a mod like that.

Head over to the goalie store forums. There is a ton of info on C/A mods, padded undershirts and etc. You should be able to get feedback from people and make the decision that would best suit you.

Have fun between the pipes!

Edit: Also you want that heart gaurd to flap over your shoulder floaters.
Will do! Been trying to get on those forums for a week. Never received a confirmation email (yes checked junk), admins haven't approved me yet and there's no way for me to email or contact them. A bit frustrating because that's a huge place for goalies and through this whole process, I haven't been able to post on there once.

I'll pickup a padded shirt, they didn't have one in my size at HockeyGiant.

Thanks again

Old
10-09-2012, 06:14 PM
Hank4Hart

GSBB has been a mess with registration ever since Hrorak took over

Vaughn CAs are notorious for lacking in the arms, but i'd much rather go Vaughn and a padded shirt over a stiff CA that will make you feel like a robot

Hank4Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 06:15 PM
CoopALoop

Quote:
Will do! Been trying to get on those forums for a week. Never received a confirmation email (yes checked junk), admins haven't approved me yet and there's no way for me to email or contact them. A bit frustrating because that's a huge place for goalies and through this whole process, I haven't been able to post on there once.

I'll pickup a padded shirt, they didn't have one in my size at HockeyGiant.

Thanks again
I talked to one of the mods for you. He's saying that you never accepted your confirmation email, therefore you couldn't be accepted into the board.

I'd double check to make sure you can't find it. If not, re-apply again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank4Hart View Post
GSBB has been a mess with registration ever since Hrorak took over

Vaughn CAs are notorious for lacking in the arms, but i'd much rather go Vaughn and a padded shirt over a stiff CA that will make you feel like a robot
The older Vaugh chesty's were known for always having the customer beef up the arms. I've got the new V5 unit and haven't had a problem so far. (which has been documented in multiple reviews).

I would also go with a more mobile C/A than say a reebok which is more designed for the drop and block style. Velocity line is Vaughn's dabble in that market as well, but it is still more mobile than other brands C/A's.

Old
10-09-2012, 06:20 PM
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopALoop View Post
I talked to one of the mods for you. He's saying that you never accepted your confirmation email, therefore you couldn't be accepted into the board.

I'd double check to make sure you can't find it. If not, re-apply again.
Thanks Coop! but I'm not buying that at all. I never received a confirmation email. I've heard nothing but bad things about registration there. I even signed up another dummy account to my yahoo and didn't get one there either. Heck there's no option to email admins or even have another confirmation email sent.

edit- as I said below - tried 3 times to register there with 3 email addresses... that response is some crappy support because there def is a problem with their system.

Last edited by FreshNsoClean: 10-09-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old
10-09-2012, 06:26 PM
Hank4Hart

Quote:
The older Vaugh chesty's were known for always having the customer beef up the arms. I've got the new V5 unit and haven't had a problem so far. (which has been documented in multiple reviews).

I would also go with a more mobile C/A than say a reebok which is more designed for the drop and block style. Velocity line is Vaughn's dabble in that market as well, but it is still more mobile than other brands C/A's.
yeah I had my v4 7600 (which was basically the 7500 with a new label) and i thought the arm was kinda lacking too, i sold it after to pick up another chesty. but i have regretted it ever since, the 7600 was by far the coolest, lightest, and most mobile of any chesty's i have had, all i had to do was maybe order a couple velcroed pieces of foam from simmons or sara at paw and that would have been my dream set up!

i went from the 7600 to a zeroG pro stock and i felt like i cant even move out there!

Old
10-09-2012, 06:27 PM
Hank4Hart

mickey you could also try signing up at goaliecrease network forums. its not as great as GSBB but still lots of info!

Old
10-09-2012, 06:30 PM
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie

Yeah I bet their SMTP is hosed. I tried gmail, yahoo, hotmail. 3 different new accounts I created. Checked all junk, and nothing. I even clicked on "forget password" to see if I would get a email for that and nothing. Glad I have HFB because I'm a bit fed up with them and especially that response they gave Coop, like it's on me.

Last edited by FreshNsoClean: 10-09-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old
10-09-2012, 07:12 PM
blueberrydanish

If you are talking about GSBB taking awhile to get back then ya...takes a few weeks. I do believe since they have a classified section they take their users info seriously...can't say how much they really check out but its normal for it to take a bit for you to official have access to an account.

Either way that sites an amazing wealth of information for playing goalie.

I got feedback/read reviews for a handful of months before purchasing my new gear and because of that every single piece of equipment fit great.(although it seems you are past that point now =p)

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 02:38 PM
CoopALoop

Quote:
Yeah I bet their SMTP is hosed. I tried gmail, yahoo, hotmail. 3 different new accounts I created. Checked all junk, and nothing. I even clicked on "forget password" to see if I would get a email for that and nothing. Glad I have HFB because I'm a bit fed up with them and especially that response they gave Coop, like it's on me.
Give it time. It'll come around.

Old
10-10-2012, 07:00 PM
HockeyStickHomicide
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank4Hart View Post
....or sara at paw....
Shes the cats pajamas. Had her repalm a blocker for me and she even resewed a few parts for free without me even asking. Quality work.

Cheers gents!

Old
10-13-2012, 11:00 PM
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie

First day in net went good. Was about 12+ of us in this Goalie clinic. I was the only first timer, but I held my own and was doing the same of some guys that have been playing for years. Don't get me wrong, I'm still a complete n00b and have a lot of work to do, especially on basic fundamentals. I need some 1 on 1 so I'm going to get someone to do that hopefully this week. I'm very comfortable sliding to my left and making glove saves. Got my skate stuck sliding to the right a couple times. I'm still iffy standing up and feel I always want to go down to make saves, over time I guess I'll learn my own style.

I'm going to order a Passau chest protector. I have no problem spending money on it, and have a Bauer 7500 stick on its way. I got my first stinger in the upper arm of the Vaughn V3 7500 (as some of you warned me). I don't bruise easily but have some nice swelling. The 7500 is awesome and feels great, but probably better on someone else. I'll just ebay it.

Removed my thigh guards that were built in to the pads, didn't like them at all. My Bauer knee guards were annoying though. Kept sliding down, I'll have to use some sock tape tomorrow to hold them up.

All in all, I'm loving it. Just looking forward for a hour or two of 1 on 1 and I think I'll be fine. Coach said I have great reflexes, just have to work on everything else.

Thanks again for all the help!

Old
10-14-2012, 03:33 AM
Hank4Hart

Quote:
First day in net went good. Was about 12+ of us in this Goalie clinic. I was the only first timer, but I held my own and was doing the same of some guys that have been playing for years. Don't get me wrong, I'm still a complete n00b and have a lot of work to do, especially on basic fundamentals. I need some 1 on 1 so I'm going to get someone to do that hopefully this week. I'm very comfortable sliding to my left and making glove saves. Got my skate stuck sliding to the right a couple times. I'm still iffy standing up and feel I always want to go down to make saves, over time I guess I'll learn my own style.

I'm going to order a Passau chest protector. I have no problem spending money on it, and have a Bauer 7500 stick on its way. I got my first stinger in the upper arm of the Vaughn V3 7500 (as some of you warned me). I don't bruise easily but have some nice swelling. The 7500 is awesome and feels great, but probably better on someone else. I'll just ebay it.

Removed my thigh guards that were built in to the pads, didn't like them at all. My Bauer knee guards were annoying though. Kept sliding down, I'll have to use some sock tape tomorrow to hold them up.

All in all, I'm loving it. Just looking forward for a hour or two of 1 on 1 and I think I'll be fine. Coach said I have great reflexes, just have to work on everything else.

Thanks again for all the help!
now you are at the point where you should start doing yoga... and lots of it!!!

Old
10-15-2012, 11:19 AM
CoopALoop

Glad to hear you had a good time out.

Always strive to improve. Take people's compliments and put downs with a grain of salt. Always be the mediator in how you think you are playing. You're always going to be your toughest critic, and your best ego booster.

Go get em tiger.

Old
10-15-2012, 04:47 PM
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie

Just an update...

2nd day out at my Goalie clinic (yesterday) went well. I was gaining confidence, my slides were better, I made some equipment adjustments that helped. I feel I have quick reflexes as the coaches say, but I have a ton of work to do on fundamentals still (crease awareness, rebound recovering, when to go down, when not..ect) Played a game at the end (forget the name) they take 1st shot, if it goes in they get a break away, if not they shoot again. Well I did awesome. I stopped 11 of 12 and just felt good. They recorded us and will post some videos on youtube, once they do I will link and let you guys know.

Today sucked. Now that my clinic is over I went to open hockey. Well there wasn't that many people there (3) and I was the only goalie. No scimmage, just shooting around. Some former Euro player just worked me. I believe in tough competition makes you better, but right now I'm in confidence building mode. EVERYONE just wants to line up break away after break away after break away. It's not what I wanted and I was just getting worked and got me extremely fatigued. This Euro dude had a wicked shot. Hit me in my exposed arm (already huge bruise) in the same damn spot. Then he skulled me twice. I was getting pissed because he ONLY shot high. His shots were very quick and I started to flinch/blink. I knew that was a ****** sign. I didn't want to get hit in the upper arm again and I don't mind the face as much but it impacted me. I just skated away and worked on slides and T's by myself. Once I recovered I asked the guys to just take some shots from top of circle so I can get warmed up and shake this off. They did (other than the old pro) and I felt normal again. I let him come in again and shoot his high shots (skulled again) but I wasn't flinching any more. Good sign, but I hope this isn't a re-occurrence. Then they did some 2 on 0s and I did ok but pretty much wore down pretty quick again. I'm in decent shape but not Goalie shape! & not close to what I was at the beginning of the summer. I have to step up my P90x and turn my runs into sprints.

Chest protector was pissing me off so I ordered this. Exactly how mine will look. Thanks to Hugo (& Hank!) for the help & can't wait! Passau

Then I ordered some Passau Knee Guards too. http://www.passauhockey.com/en/onlin...e-protector-60 The Bauer ones I have just suck. Can't get them to feel right at all. A guy had the Passau ones at the clinic and they seemed great and he loved them.

I'll be getting some 1 on 1 coaching shortly. Other than that, what do you guys think is the best practice? I was thinking of open hockey again tomorrow where people just mess around and NOT scrimmage, but I'm starting to think that a pick-up scrimmage might be better? I just wanted to get some more basics down before I did that but maybe that is the best experience I could get?

Thanks again guys. Look forward to your responses!

Last edited by FreshNsoClean: 10-15-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old
10-15-2012, 05:04 PM
Hank4Hart

Quote:

Today sucked. Now that my clinic is over I went to open hockey. Well there wasn't that many people there (3) and I was the only goalie. No scimmage, just shooting around. Some former Euro player just worked me. I believe in tough competition makes you better, but right now I'm in confidence building mode. EVERYONE just wants to line up break away after break away after break away. It's not what I wanted and I was just getting worked and got me extremely fatigued. This Euro dude had a wicked shot. Hit me in my exposed arm (already huge bruise) in the same damn spot. Then he skulled me twice. I was getting pissed because he ONLY shot high. His shots were very quick and I started to flinch/blink. I knew that was a ****** sign. I didn't want to get hit in the upper arm again and I don't mind the face as much but it impacted me. I just skated away and worked on slides and T's by myself. Once I recovered I asked the guys to just take some shots from top of circle so I can get warmed up and shake this off. They did (other than the old pro) and I felt normal again. I let him come in again and shoot his high shots (skulled again) but I wasn't flinching any more. Good sign, but I hope this isn't a re-occurrence. Then they did some 2 on 0s and I did ok but pretty much wore down pretty quick again. I'm in decent shape but not Goalie shape! & not close to what I was at the beginning of the summer. I have to step up my P90x and turn my runs into sprints.

I'll be getting some 1 on 1 coaching shortly. Other than that, what do you guys think is the best practice? I was thinking of open hockey again tomorrow where people just mess around and NOT scrimmage, but I'm starting to think that a pick-up scrimmage might be better? I just wanted to get some more basics down before I did that but maybe that is the best experience I could get?

Thanks again guys. Look forward to your responses!
If its just shooting around and guys are going head high, those guys are fa****s. The only way you can get them to stop shooting head high is to ignore him/her for 10 mins after each head shot, remember you are the goalie you get to decide who shoots on you, if you are not facing the shooter he can't shoot, eventually he will get the point.

Also, with the breakaways, most skaters don't understand that while they get to practice their random moves on a breakaway, us goalies get nothing out of it. The best thing to do is to talk to the shooters and reach a compromise, give them a breakaway in return for a warm up type shot.

Old
10-16-2012, 09:53 AM
Hounsy

vCash: 559
Ah head hunters in warmups and shoot around are a treat. Ask him to avoid ringing you and if he still doesn't seem to make an effort then just skate out of the net when he is taking his turn to shoot. He at the end of the day would rather not be shooting at an empty net.

Hounsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 07:12 PM
HockeyStickHomicide
Registered Abuser

Two shots in the dome and I would have been out. Three skaters that wont work with you are pointless to stick around for.

You'll like the Passau knee/thigh gaurds.
I keep my Reeboks up with a garter belt. I prefer Compression short/jock with built in garter for socks. Then I put my garter with my knee pads attached over that, then goalie cup. Keeps everything where it should be. Takes just a few minutes to rig up your knee pads onto the garter.
Might help ya until you get the passaus.

The C/A will help too. Its a lot easier to play when you dont have to worry about feeling shots right?

Throw some pics or video up when you get a chance.

Old
10-16-2012, 07:35 PM
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie

Yeah took today off from the ice after 3 days straight of my first times playing goalie. Need to rest the left arm, can't fully extend it after a couple stingers and ton of bruising. Just did some sprints down at the park. Watched probably 50 videos and trying to find another clinic this weekend. I want some 1 on 1. I'm thinking of the Rob Stauber (goalcrease.com) or http://www.prohybridtraining.com . Little spendy but I don't care. I want to be the best I can be and learn the right way, not develop bad habits.

I should have videos soon. I've been bugging the guys from the past weekends clinic to post them on youtube. They just haven't uploaded yet. Hopefully it will be soon. I have family and friends waiting too.

Still a no go on goaliestore.com. I've sent so many emails to so many people asking someone to figure it out. Nobody cares & whomever is running it should give it up to someone else. Registration confirmation is broken there. Period. Anyone new the past 2+ weeks can only lurk. I'd be posting like crazy but it's ok. I still have you guys.

Old
10-17-2012, 11:12 AM
CoopALoop

Quote:
Still a no go on goaliestore.com. I've sent so many emails to so many people asking someone to figure it out. Nobody cares & whomever is running it should give it up to someone else. Registration confirmation is broken there. Period. Anyone new the past 2+ weeks can only lurk. I'd be posting like crazy but it's ok. I still have you guys.
I remember waiting 2 months for my acceptance letter... 2 weeks is nothing.

Sounds like you're really taking to it. Get out into some (full) open hockey sessions.

Prepare for the excellet defence and positional play by all members.

Old
10-17-2012, 12:14 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
I remember waiting 2 months for my acceptance letter... 2 weeks is nothing.

Sounds like you're really taking to it. Get out into some (full) open hockey sessions.

Prepare for the excellet defence and positional play by all members.
And for pigs to fly and for money to fall from the sky.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote