HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: Klaus Catsby, Esquire

Closed Thread

Old
10-09-2012, 04:25 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 500
All three of them are great bands...and BTS was one of the major influences of Modest Mouse (they were starting to become 'big' in the Pacific Northwest right as Modest Mouse was starting and they wound up touring together a ton in their early days). I actually listened to Pavement and BTS before getting into Modest Mouse. One of the seminal moments in my life was a classmate giving me a copy of Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain.

I'm cutting myself off at 5 songs here because I was already up to 10 and still had The Moon & Antarctica to go...my definitive 5 of 'early' Modest Mouse as an introductory course (not necessarily the 5 best songs, but I'm not going to introduce anyone to the band through 'Edit the Sad Parts'...).

Really I just think The Lonesome Crowded West is one of those albums that you need to listen to at least once...and I take severe offense to calling Modest Mouse a 'dumbed down' version of anything, though...at least when we're talking about their early stuff. If we're comparing 1993 Pavement and Built to Spill to 2007 Modest Mouse...then that's fair...but 1997 Modest Mouse was also far superior to what Built to Spill is doing today and Pavement broke up in 1999.

Pitchfork made a documentary about The Lonesome Crowded West, my favorite album of all-time. Pitchfork can be good for something on occasion.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 10-09-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old
10-09-2012, 04:25 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

dear Ogre:

and i really was proud of that Ernest Goes to Camp reference. i had to reach back deep into the recesses of my mind to remember that clown.

i doubly-failed. i was also hoping to rile up Big. but instead i got FIVE more Modest Mouse songs in this thread.

edit: success
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
I take severe offense to calling Modest Mouse a 'dumbed down' version of anything,

Last edited by Crafton: 10-09-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old
10-09-2012, 04:35 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
dear Ogre:

and i really was proud of that Ernest Goes to Camp reference. i had to reach back deep into the recesses of my mind to remember that clown.

i doubly-failed. i was also hoping to rile up Big. but instead i got FIVE more Modest Mouse songs in this thread.

Quote:
edit: success

Old
10-09-2012, 04:36 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Pitchfork made a documentary about The Lonesome Crowded West, my favorite album of all-time. Pitchfork can be good for something on occasion.
i find Pitchfork to be at their best when commentating on music of the past. their best albums of the 70s list and best singles of the 60s are good solid reads that really expanded my horizons. it's their "best new music" designations and reviews that are abominations. the writing on that site is single-handedly setting back music criticism.

then again, let me quote what a friend once said: complaining about Pitchfork is like being the 37th dude to join a gang-bang.

Old
10-09-2012, 04:37 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator

Quote:
i find Pitchfork to be at their best when commentating on music of the past. their best albums of the 70s list and best singles of the 60s are good solid reads that really expanded my horizons. it's their "best new music" designations and reviews that are abominations.
Pitchfork is a solid way of finding new music and that's what I generally go there for...because they just can't be trusted when reviewing albums from bands that already are somewhat popular. They have their list of bands that can do no wrong and will get an 8.5+ no matter what...and other bands just seem to get lousy scores because they didn't release the same exact album they did 3 years ago. I honestly don't even know the last time I read one of their reviews...but if an album gets the Best New Music tag I'm pretty much guaranteed to at least give it a try, and probably about ~10 albums a year wind up in my top 50 because of that.

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 10-09-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old
10-09-2012, 04:41 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

in reference to which part? that pitchfork has some solid original content. or the gang-bang quip?

still don't get the reaction gif.

i'll grant that they are capable of shedding light on good new bands. but i'd counter that that harm their hype machine does more than offsets the good they find. and i am SURE with respect to those 10 albums you find, someone as discerning as you would have found out about them in some other manner. also as you point out so much of the BNM is not actually new but are albums from bands they already love. for the brand-spanking new stuff, they do an alright job. but they aren't so amazing enough to get a man jumping out of his chair.

i still think they do a good job of spotlighting reissues and giving critical praise to music from 10+ years ago (of bands that aren't really active anymore) in their features. on the whole their features are above-average. their every-day reviewing is pretty bad, especially compared to their peers. how can you read the now famous Kid A review without puking. even if you think that album is god's gift to music.
Quote:
The experience and emotions tied to listening to Kid A are like witnessing the stillborn birth of a child while simultaneously having the opportunity to see her play in the afterlife on Imax.
if that's anyone's idea of good music criticism...

Last edited by Crafton: 10-09-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old
10-09-2012, 04:44 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
in reference to which part? that pitchfork has some solid original content. or the gang-bang quip?
what a well spoken, rational response to a gif of a man freaking out in a chair

Old
10-09-2012, 04:44 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator

Old
10-09-2012, 04:51 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
what a well spoken, rational response to a gif of a man freaking out in a chair
anytime you can drop the phrase "or the gang-bang quip," you're winning.

Old
10-09-2012, 05:52 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator

The reaction gif was a reaction to your gifs.

And yeah...like I said, their reviews are painful. They attract the most pretentious of an inherently pretentious field.

Old
10-09-2012, 06:07 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

i only posted one gif. a "tip of the hat" to Ogre for calling me out.

i guess you mean me saying i wanted to rile you on Modest Mouse. fair enough. just some good clean fun. that whole 90s scene doesn't get enough respect, methinks. Modest Mouse devotes are fun to prod. i should know my little brother is a diehard.

we seem to be on the same page on pitchfork. i enjoy Dusted. Tiny Mixed Tapes is almost as bad as Pitchfork but a tad bit more bearable. they do have Clifford Allen covering jazz.

Old
10-09-2012, 06:46 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

hold the mother****ing presses. i tweeted the Ernest Goes to Camp line and now Built to Spill follows me on twitter. #InternetJustice.

Old
10-09-2012, 06:47 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator

I hate you.

Old
10-09-2012, 07:03 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Old
10-09-2012, 07:36 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
hold the mother****ing presses. i tweeted the Ernest Goes to Camp line and now Built to Spill follows me on twitter. #InternetJustice.
fair is fair

Old
10-09-2012, 07:59 PM
invictus

Don't you 3 have jobs or school or something? I get home and have like 4 pages to catch up on, haha.

Old
10-09-2012, 08:08 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator

I've got two jobs (one real and one fake) and school...but priorities...

Old
10-09-2012, 08:15 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

I can't imagine having a fake job. My real one is fake enough.

Old
10-09-2012, 08:18 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
Don't you 3 have jobs or school or something? I get home and have like 4 pages to catch up on, haha.
I had a job at a school. Now I do not. rub salt in the wound why don't you

Old
10-09-2012, 08:26 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I had a job at a school. Now I do not. rub salt in the wound why don't you
Sorry, Ogre. Don't you have a wife and stuff? That probably is nice, right? I'm all alone

Old
10-09-2012, 08:26 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Sorry, Ogre. Don't you have a wife and stuff? That probably is nice, right? I'm all alone
I do. she's at work though. her schedule sucks. "and stuff" would be my dogs I guess.

and don't worry you didn't really upset me or anything. Aside from the job thing, things are good. I've spent most of my day playing with the dogs and playing on the computer. I should probably be cleaning. Playing with the dogs is almost the exact opposite.

but seriously, if you know anyone looking to hire a physics major math minor certified to teach physics or general sciences keep me posted. I don't care if I actually use any of those things

Old
10-09-2012, 08:31 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
finished up law school recently. currently looking for a job. preferably in the federal bureaucracy. but we've had that conversation.

Old
10-09-2012, 08:36 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post
I can't imagine having a fake job. My real one is fake enough.
'Freelance writer' always sounds so...pretentious...but writing is a full-time job, even if you're not getting a consistent paycheck.

Old
10-09-2012, 09:30 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
'Freelance writer' always sounds so...pretentious...but writing is a full-time job, even if you're not getting a consistent paycheck.
so you have gotten paychecks for it though? That would be pretty sweet.

Old
10-09-2012, 09:46 PM
UnrealMachine

One of my friends from freshman year ended up becoming a guitar tech for Modest Mouse. I always thought they were clever, but preferred them in small doses. I could get behind making fun of their fans as well, but, you know, glass house scenario. Lets just say that going to the gym for years took me to some dark places, musically.

Closed Thread