HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

10 Years Ago Today...

Old
10-09-2012, 02:07 AM
RECsGuy*

vCash: 500
10 Years Ago Today...

The Kings raised No. 99's jersey to the rafters of the Staples Center.

Can't believe it's been a decade already.

As a Los Angeles King ('88-'96):

(1) Hart Trophy
(3) Art Ross Trophies
(3) Lady Byng Trophies
(1) 1st Team All-Star selection
(3) 2nd Team All-Star selctions

Regular Season
539 GP - 246 G - 672 A - 918 PTS

Playoffs
60 GP - 29 G - 65 A - 94 PTS

Here's to the man who made being a Kings fan cool, and the greatest King of them all...

RECsGuy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 02:27 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag925 View Post
Here's to the man who made being a Kings fan cool, and the greatest King of them all...
I dunno...I was a Kings fan for almost 21 years before he arrived on the scene, and I always considered myself cool.

10-09-2012, 03:35 AM
damacles1156

Don't get me wrong (love Wayne). But I think Dave Taylor and Luc are the type of players that remind me of how cool it is to be a Kings fan.

Dave and Luc both just oooze what it meant to me, to be an LA King.

Hope that makes sense, if it doesn't, sorry I probably butchered what I am trying to explain....

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 09:44 AM
RAZZIE King
König von Schaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Don't get me wrong (love Wayne). But I think Dave Taylor and Luc are the type of players that remind me of how cool it is to be a Kings fan.

Dave and Luc both just oooze what it meant to me, to be an LA King.

Hope that makes sense, if it doesn't, sorry I probably butchered what I am trying to explain....
Add Dionne to the mix...and Vachon is no slouch either...

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 04:19 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Wayne Gretzky is my favorite player of all-time, and he is the reason I switched from being an Oilers fan to a Kings fan (at age 11 ). That said, I don't consider Wayne the greatest King of them all. I'd place Dionne, Taylor and Luc ahead of him, and possibly Vachon as well. Within the next 4-5 years, I may add Brown, Kopitar and Quick to that list as well if they remain as Kings.

Still, great time as a King for Gretzky, but it lasted about two seasons to long.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 05:07 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

When it's all said and done I think Doughty will go down as the best King ever.

Gretzky obviously the better player, but I think as far as what they accomplished in a Kings sweater, Drew will surpass him.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 05:21 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I probably wouldn't say he was the greatest King, but it sure was an exciting ride while he was here.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 05:30 PM
RECsGuy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
I don't consider Wayne the greatest King of them all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I probably wouldn't say he was the greatest King
Let's try this again...

(1) Hart Trophy
(3) Art Ross Trophies

Regular Season

Playoffs

He may not be your favorite King because maybe you're still asshurt that he didn't bring a Stanley Cup to Los Angeles, but he certainly has the greatest Kings career.

Old
10-09-2012, 05:33 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Not to nitpick, but Wayne had zero business winning that Hart Trophy. One of the biggest jokes in awards history.

Still, great career as a King, possibly saved the franchise and a case can certainly made that he had the best on ice career of any King. Cases could also be made for a few other guys.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 05:40 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Let's try this again...

(1) Hart Trophy
(3) Art Ross Trophies

Regular Season

Playoffs

He may not be your favorite King because maybe you're still asshurt that he didn't bring a Stanley Cup to Los Angeles, but he certainly has the greatest Kings career.
I think what you are pointing out is that it may be true that Wayne's immense talent might work against him in the "greatest King ever."

Heart and soul is what I look at. Luc Robitaille, Butch Goring, and Rogie Vachon actually come to mind first for me.

It was always cool to be a Kings' fan. Right from the beginning, with the parade of veterans that Cooke stocked the team with to the rise of the mid-70s talented teams, Kings' fans are special...and are directly responsible, in support of their team, to the Sun Belt and West Coast expansion: Ducks, Sharks, Stars, Hurricanes, Lightning, Panthers, and Predators fans all owe a debt of gratitude to the dedication of the Kings fans never to let go of the dream.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 05:51 PM
RECsGuy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Cases could also be made for a few other guys.
Try me. And, BTW, make your case relative to Gretzky's accomplishments as a King.

Old
10-09-2012, 06:03 PM
RECsGuy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
I think what you are pointing out is that it may be true that Wayne's immense talent might work against him in the "greatest King ever."

Heart and soul is what I look at. Luc Robitaille, Butch Goring, and Rogie Vachon actually come to mind first for me.

It was always cool to be a Kings' fan. Right from the beginning, with the parade of veterans that Cooke stocked the team with to the rise of the mid-70s talented teams, Kings' fans are special...and are directly responsible, in support of their team, to the Sun Belt and West Coast expansion: Ducks, Sharks, Stars, Hurricanes, Lightning, Panthers, and Predators fans all owe a debt of gratitude to the dedication of the Kings fans never to let go of the dream.
Don't give me the Linden vs. Bure speech. It's clear as day who owns the greatest on-ice Kings career.

The franchise had just 5 winning seasons and just 4 playoff seres wins through its first 21 years of existence.

In what amounted to less than 7 regular seasons-worth of play, Gretzky led the Kings to 4 winning seasons, 6 playoff series wins and the franchise's first Stanley Cup finals appearance, despite the likes of Sam McMaster, Barry Melrose and Nick Beverley screwing things up every way imaginable.

Old
10-09-2012, 06:14 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Don't give me the Linden vs. Bure speech. It's clear as day who owns the greatest on-ice Kings career.

The franchise had just 5 winning seasons and just 4 playoff seres wins through its first 21 years of existence.

In what amounted to less than 7 regular seasons-worth of play, Gretzky led the Kings to 4 winning seasons, 6 playoff series wins and the franchise's first Stanley Cup finals appearance, despite the likes of Sam McMaster, Barry Melrose and Nick Beverley screwing things up every way imaginable.
What I feel is what I feel. Old-timers like me are not going to wrap the entire Los Angeles Kings history around Wayne, it just isn't going to happen.

You can argue until you are blue in the face, but the bottom line is there are many of us here that were die-hard Kings' fans who were always cool to begin with, and stayed cool and breezy for 21 enjoyable seasons before Wayne burst on the scene. Cool and breezy, breezy and cool...

...and don't really care about all the individual awards. Sorry.

Old
10-09-2012, 06:51 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I was at the game retirement ceremony, and it was quite a sight to see the Kings donning the classic Gretzky era sweaters, and it was fun watching them spank the Coyotes at the home opener. Gretzky held off on having his number retired in LA until Bruce McNall was released from jail and able to be there in attendance (which he was).

Oh and I happened to win this on eBay...

'Twas quite the birthday celebration for me.

This is the only clip I was able to find from the game:

Last edited by Ziggy Stardust: 10-09-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 07:23 PM
RECsGuy*

Quote:
...and don't really care about all the individual awards. Sorry.
Well, you need to, since we're debating the greatest indivudual Kings career.

Old
10-09-2012, 07:27 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Well, you need to, since we're debating the greatest indivudual Kings career.
Nah, not really.

You opened the door when you said that "here's to the man who made being a Kings fan cool," and I am merely pointing out to you that that statement is pure nonsense.

Old
10-09-2012, 07:58 PM
Model62

I remember that night. Moments after the sweater went up, the LAPD line took the ice and the future looked so, so bright.

Model62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 08:13 PM
RECsGuy*

Quote:
Nah, not really.

You opened the door when you said that "here's to the man who made being a Kings fan cool," and I am merely pointing out to you that that statement is pure nonsense.
The Kings never led the league in merchandise sales before '88-'89. Guess what happened in '88-'89?

With Gretzky in tow, the Kings were being used in promotional stunts and test-market trials, selling out an outdoor game in Las Vegas, a baseball stadium in St. Petersburg (which, coincidentally, set the NHL's all-time single game attendance record up to that point), and the then-Southern most NHL game, in Miami.

How were ticket sales at the Forum before Wayne arrived?

For Christ's sake, your uniform's color scheme was patterned after Buss and Cooke's preferred franchise, the Lakers. The Kings even lacked an identity before Gretzky arrived.

The Kings were a ****ing joke before Gretzky.

Pretty jarring how little gratitude Kings fans today have for Wayne.

Old
10-09-2012, 08:19 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:

I am a huge Gretzky fan, but we can't overlook how his player personnel demands turned the organization into shambles that took years to recover from.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 08:20 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
The Kings never led the league in merchandise sales before '88-'89. Guess what happened in '88-'89?
They adopted a new color scheme that was widely popular.

Old
10-09-2012, 08:34 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
For Christ's sake, your uniform's color scheme was patterned after Buss and Cooke's preferred franchise, the Lakers. The Kings even lacked an identity before Gretzky arrived.
It was the other way around. The Lakers wore blue and later switched to purple and gold after the Kings already had those colors.

Both teams began play in 1966/67 in those colors.

This was the Lakers' uniform for 1965/66:

Old
10-09-2012, 08:41 PM
RECsGuy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
I am a huge Gretzky fan, but we can't overlook how his player personnel demands turned the organization into shambles that took years to recover from.
Yeah, I'm sure he was behind Paul Coffey, Bernie Nicholls, and Mike Krushenyski, among others, being dealt.

And I'm also sure Wayne loved management bringing in hacks like Brent Grieve and John Slaney.

And for good masure...

Last edited by RECsGuy*: 10-09-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old
10-09-2012, 08:55 PM
RECsGuy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
It was the other way around. The Lakers wore blue and later switched to purple and gold after the Kings already had those colors.

Both teams began play in 1966/67 in those colors.

This was the Lakers' uniform for 1965/66:

Doesn't really change my point that, with the Kings LONG playing in the shadow of the far more successful Lakers and uniform colors better associated with the Lakers, Kings ownership more or less neglected the Kings, never even going so far as to change the hockey team's color scheme to give them an identity independent of the basketball club.

Old
10-09-2012, 09:29 PM
Bandit

Why are we bickering about this? 10 years ago the Kings sucked. Today we are Stanley Cup Champions...

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 09:39 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Doesn't really change my point that, with the Kings LONG playing in the shadow of the far more successful Lakers and uniform colors better associated with the Lakers, Kings ownership more or less neglected the Kings, never even going so far as to change the hockey team's color scheme to give them an identity independent of the basketball club.
You really have no concept of what you are talking about, so maybe its better you quit while you are behind.

Here is a brief history lesson for you: Jack Kent Cooke, who purchased the Lakers in 1965 and kept the same colors as noted above, won the Kings franchise in 1966 and built his "Fabulous Forum" in 1967, bringing both the Lakers and Kings there, along with a new color scheme for both teams. The Lakers and Kings matched colors, "Forum Blue and Gold" along with the decor and seat colors of the Forum.

Kings ownership did not neglect the Kings, as you maintain. The Kings developed into a talented roster in the mid-70s (when they were finally allowed to by the various general managers employed at the time). They also had talent in the 1980s.

You are making empty claims, without evidence. Need to stop...a few posts ago, actually.