HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

2012 MLB Thread Part III

Closed Thread

Old
10-08-2012, 10:53 PM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

vCash: 500
Last licks for the Yanks. Down by 1. Must score.

Old
10-08-2012, 11:04 PM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

Old
10-08-2012, 11:07 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Only 5 more years left of A-Rod if hecan even make it without knocking himself over from the wind tunnels created from his big swing and misses on 88 mph fastballs

edit: through first 2 games - 1-9, 5 K's and 5 men left on base

Last edited by Wingman77: 10-08-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old
10-09-2012, 12:15 AM
apice3*

Swisher now has 19 hits in his last 123 at bats (.154) with 37ks.

A-Rod went 1/5 today and brought his average up over his last 59 AB's to .169.

Old
10-09-2012, 12:18 AM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Dangleaitis View Post

Old
10-09-2012, 04:33 AM
davebenj

Someone give A-rod some roids stat! I'm still confident although getting dominated by Chen who has been absolutely dreadful for about a month isn't too encouraging.

Old
10-09-2012, 06:49 AM
Officer Rod Farva
Do You Even Lift Bro

At this point I'd rather have Chavez start and have A-Rod as a bat off the bench...just dreadful. Guess you gotta stick with A-Rod though. Need him to lean into pitches to get on for Cano haha

Hope the Yankee fans dont get on A-Rod too much and hurt his feelings and **** him up though...seriously

Old
10-09-2012, 08:22 AM
MadDog172430
Sal Apologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletown Mike View Post
At this point I'd rather have Chavez start and have A-Rod as a bat off the bench...just dreadful. Guess you gotta stick with A-Rod though. Need him to lean into pitches to get on for Cano haha

Hope the Yankee fans dont get on A-Rod too much and hurt his feelings and **** him up though...seriously
You pretty much just nailed the comparison of A-Rod to Roger Dorn.

DORN'S 0 FOR THE CENTURY AGAINST THIS GUY...but does have several foul tips.

Old
10-09-2012, 09:10 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
Pettitte hints at returning next season

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yanke...utm_medium=rss
At this point I think Andy might keep pitching forever, Jamie Moyer style. He saw what retirement was like and he never wants to do that again.

Old
10-09-2012, 11:16 AM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletown Mike View Post

A-Rod gets a pass simply because he was the most important Yankee in the 2009 WS run. But he's a bum right now. I thank him for what he's done in the past for us, but he seriously needs to go.

Old
10-09-2012, 11:26 AM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCrushingHit View Post
A-Rod gets a pass simply because he was the most important Yankee in the 2009 WS run. But he's a bum right now. I thank him for what he's done in the past for us, but he seriously needs to go.
That is the only time he ever did anything in a big situation in the playoffs, but since then? 0 HR, 10 hits, 6 RBI's in 71 AB's

Otherwise before and after, he's been no use to the Yankees when it's mattered the most and although he's gotten "better", he's been a cancer in the clubhouse

Cashman was near to trading for Miguel Cabrera after A-Rod opted out and after that he never should have looked back, **** the fact that he had a 54 HR 130 RBI season prior, the guy was a problem on your team, his own teamates didn't like him and he just opted out of one of the biggest contracts in baseball for even more $$$, but he caved when A-Rod came crawling back

Old
10-09-2012, 01:43 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
ARod also had a big hit last night and hit the ball extremely hard when he hit into that DP, it just happened to be right at Andino

he wasn't the reason they lost last night

Old
10-09-2012, 03:10 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
ARod also had a big hit last night and hit the ball extremely hard when he hit into that DP, it just happened to be right at Andino

he wasn't the reason they lost last night
Nobody said he was the reason they lost, Pettitte's command was off, the errors, and lack of hitting from much of the lineup is what led to last nights loss

But c'mon with the hitting the ball hard, you get nothing for hitting the ball hard and right at somebody - it's like saying in hockey 'he had a ton of shots on net, but they were all right at the goalie'

His act is beyond old in the post season

Old
10-09-2012, 06:05 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
His playoffs disappearances are starting to become routine at this point. It's baffling how a guy who is generally a capable hitter through the regular season could be so bad in the playoffs.

Old
10-09-2012, 08:38 PM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

WS season was his best postseason. I think.

Old
10-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Nobody said he was the reason they lost, Pettitte's command was off, the errors, and lack of hitting from much of the lineup is what led to last nights loss

But c'mon with the hitting the ball hard, you get nothing for hitting the ball hard and right at somebody - it's like saying in hockey 'he had a ton of shots on net, but they were all right at the goalie'

His act is beyond old in the post season
Players have very little control of whether the ball is at a fielder, or six feet to the right of the fielder. What they do have control of is how hard they hit it. Hockey players possess far more accuracy when shooting a puck.

And Arod basically won the Yankees their 2009 world series.

Old
10-09-2012, 08:43 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Quote:
That is the only time he ever did anything in a big situation in the playoffs, but since then? 0 HR, 10 hits, 6 RBI's in 71 AB's
FYI, that "since then" encompasses 16 games.

Holy cow, a bad 16 games, what a bum!

Arod's career postseason numbers are below his regular season stats, but they're still pretty good.

70G, 13HR, 43RBI, 271/380/484

Over a 162 game schedule that gets you too 30HR and 99RBI. Once again, what a bum!

Old
10-09-2012, 09:06 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Players have very little control of whether the ball is at a fielder, or six feet to the right of the fielder. What they do have control of is how hard they hit it. Hockey players possess far more accuracy when shooting a puck.

And Arod basically won the Yankees their 2009 world series.
I'm very interested to hear what makes you think that players have such little control over where they hit a ball

People think batting coaches just serve the purpose of going over video and tweaking players stances/swings, but really haven't a clue about all of the other little things that go into it such as teaching how to control which field you can hit the ball to and either in the air or ground - how do you think hit and runs work? and if that player doesn't get it on the ground, he'll be riding pine or be getting an earful from his manager - or if guys are in scoring position you are going to try and hit behind the runners by letting the ball get deeper, etc - what makes you think Alfonso Soriano was moved with out hesitation (other than for who it was)? He swung at anything and everything and had no control which was well noted to annoy the Yankee brass, MLB teams don't want guys who are free swingers just hoping to hit the ball anywhere regardless of the situation

A-Rod hit it hard yes, but right at the fielder so no he doesn't get anything for that, not even a pat on the back, sorry this isn't little league

Quote:

Arod's career postseason numbers are below his regular season stats, but they're still pretty good.

Over a 162 game schedule that gets you too 30HR and 99RBI. Once again, what a bum!
16 games and 3 full series of sub par hitting from your most expensive player during the most important time of the year is 16 games too many, there are no excuses

Old
10-09-2012, 09:32 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

There was truth to A-Rod not doing well in the postseason before 2009 - there was a reason Torre batted him eighth. He got over his Yankee postseason yips a couple years ago but now he's just not a very good player period, that contract's already looking brutal.

Old
10-09-2012, 09:36 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Quote:
I'm very interested to hear what makes you think that players have such little control over where they hit a ball

People think batting coaches just serve the purpose of going over video and tweaking players stances/swings, but really haven't a clue about all of the other little things that go into it such as teaching how to control which field you can hit the ball to and either in the air or ground - how do you think hit and runs work? and if that player doesn't get it on the ground, he'll be riding pine or be getting an earful from his manager - or if guys are in scoring position you are going to try and hit behind the runners by letting the ball get deeper, etc - what makes you think Alfonso Soriano was moved with out hesitation (other than for who it was)? He swung at anything and everything and had no control which was well noted to annoy the Yankee brass, MLB teams don't want guys who are free swingers just hoping to hit the ball anywhere regardless of the situation

A-Rod hit it hard yes, but right at the fielder so no he doesn't get anything for that, not even a pat on the back, sorry this isn't little league

16 games and 3 full series of sub par hitting from your most expensive player during the most important time of the year is 16 games too many, there are no excuses
I don't disagree that players can influence if the ball is hit in the air or the ground, and that certain players swing at bad pitches. That much is obvious. What players have much more difficulty doing is controlling whether the 115mph drive off their bat is hit right at a fielder, or goes five feet to his right. That part is pretty random. The best thing a hitter can do is make good contact consistently, and more often than not he'll do well. That doesn't mean he won't run into bad streaks, though.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...position=3B/SS

Arod actually has a better batted ball profile in the postseason than the regular season. He hits more line drives (better for average) and fly balls (better for power) and less infield flies. His batting average on balls in play is the same though, while his HR/FB ratio is much lower. What this insinuates is that, for whatever reason, less of Arod's fly balls clear the fences and drop in for XBH. In addition, Arod strikes out a bit more, but also walks a bit more in the postseason.

I suspect that the slight reduction in Arod's postseason power numbers is due to facing better pitching. I'd be curious to see if there's a general decline in XBH in the postseason.

Old
10-09-2012, 09:53 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
I don't disagree that players can influence if the ball is hit in the air or the ground, and that certain players swing at bad pitches. That much is obvious. What players have much more difficulty doing is controlling whether the 115mph drive off their bat is hit right at a fielder, or goes five feet to his right. That part is pretty random. The best thing a hitter can do is make good contact consistently, and more often than not he'll do well. That doesn't mean he won't run into bad streaks, though.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...position=3B/SS

Arod actually has a better batted ball profile in the postseason than the regular season. He hits more line drives (better for average) and fly balls (better for power) and less infield flies. His batting average on balls in play is the same though, while his HR/FB ratio is much lower. What this insinuates is that, for whatever reason, less of Arod's fly balls clear the fences and drop in for XBH. In addition, Arod strikes out a bit more, but also walks a bit more in the postseason.

I suspect that the slight reduction in Arod's postseason power numbers is due to facing better pitching. I'd be curious to see if there's a general decline in XBH in the postseason.
Ah, gotcha and agreed that it is extremely difficult to place a ball a few feet from a fielder or not and with that comes how much ground and how quickly a player can get to a ball hit in a reasonable distance from them - obviously every player differs in that regard

Taking those numbers regarding aired balls vs grounded balls aside for a minute, I've done a fair amount of reading on A-Rod from the Torre, Steinbrenner, and a clubhouse boys book and a lot of his struggles are physiologically related - you'd never believe some of the things the day and hours leading up to a game, players used to joke to each other that it is to the point that he would actually marry himself, much of A-Rod's days are spent thinking about how he looks in front of people in everything on and off the field

When it comes down to the bigger spotlight and out of the regular season and the NY media is on him come October he becomes overwhelmed and is focused on too many different things/his mind all over the map

Old
10-09-2012, 10:56 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
His playoffs disappearances are starting to become routine at this point. It's baffling how a guy who is generally a capable hitter through the regular season could be so bad in the playoffs.
You don't get paid extra for being in the playoffs.

All that guy has ever cared about is money and his own personal statistics, which translate to more money come contract time. I read a while ago that in blowouts, he would tip his own pitchers pitches to the opposing batters so that when he was at bat in a blowout, they'd do the same for him. Which, if you think about it, explains why he's such a great player when games are already out of hand.

Guy has never given a damn about winning and while FMASC can throw his crazy stats at you, my own two eyes tell me that A-Rod is physically incapable of producing in the playoffs especially in the most clutch situations.

Old
10-10-2012, 02:51 AM
davebenj

It might be me, but IF the Yankees win the series which certainly is not a given, I really hope Oakland doesn't come back to beat Detroit which could easily happen. Despite last year, I think the Yankees have a better chance at beating the Tigers than the A's.

Old
10-10-2012, 07:48 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
You don't get paid extra for being in the playoffs.

All that guy has ever cared about is money and his own personal statistics, which translate to more money come contract time. I read a while ago that in blowouts, he would tip his own pitchers pitches to the opposing batters so that when he was at bat in a blowout, they'd do the same for him. Which, if you think about it, explains why he's such a great player when games are already out of hand.

Guy has never given a damn about winning and while FMASC can throw his crazy stats at you, my own two eyes tell me that A-Rod is physically incapable of producing in the playoffs especially in the most clutch situations.
Home runs, RBI, and AVG/OBP/OPS are crazy stats?

I think I give up. Obviously your subjective impression of Arod's performance, which is heavily skewed by your own personal biases and anecdotes you've heard from others about Arod, is more factual than hard statistics.

Bottom line is that Arod has performed well above average in his postseason career according to the numbers. Whether you can bring yourself to accept that is another story. This is not to say that Arod couldn't have/can't perform better (his postseason numbers are still well below his regular season numbers), however in no universe is a .864 OPS a sign of someone who is "physically incapable of producing."

Fangraphs also has a "clutch score", which tabulates a player's clutch ability based on performance in high leverage situations (runners on and 2nd outs, close and late, etc.). Arod has a better clutch score in the postseason and regular season, by quite a bit actually.

Old
10-10-2012, 08:23 AM
Nick0930

Quote:

55G, 7HR, 25 RBI, .233 AVG not counting his 2009 postseason. 20 HR and 74 RBIs over a 162 game season. That's just not good enough for someone that's supposed to be one of the greatest of all time.

Closed Thread