HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

June 1st

Closed Thread

Old
05-10-2006, 03:41 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
June 1st

June 1st is 3 weeks away, what are your thoughts on what Gainey should do, who should be resigned and who should reenter the draft.

Loic Lacasse- G (181st overall) Tough year for him, although he seemed to do a little better then last year when he lost the starting job to Dupont ('06) The trade to Drummondville didn't seem to help him as he got injured right off the bat and ended up only playing a handful of games. Lacasse imo is at the very bottom of our goalie depth chart but you can never have enough goalies and perhaps Gainey would want to give him a shot in Long Beach since it appears Heino will likely stay in Sweden another year. Halak should be the starter in Hamilton and the question mark remains on Danis. I've done some reading on the new CBA and in fact I believe Danis will be a UFA cause of the 2-3 games he played right after being signed which count as a year for players over 20 years old. This leaves Michaud who could be the backup to Halak or in Long Beach again or not resigned.

My opinion is that Lacasse will not be signed and will reenter the draft.

Greg Stewart- RW/LW (246th) Stewart has been a solid late round pick. He's got decent size but not a great frame. He works hard, plays a team first game, good speed, skates well, plays physical and brings energy. Will drop the gloves and is solid in his own end. I've heard he's the kind of player coaches like to have cause he does whatever it takes to win and is very coachable. The downside is his offensive game. After a major improvement in his sophomore year that saw him go from being a 4th liner in his rookie year to a 2nd/3rd liner that tripled his rookie year numbers. This year was his 3rd in the OHL and he was able to set a career high in goals (24) with 8 more in 8 less games then last year, with 39 points, 5 more then last year. I've seen him a couple times in the OHL playoffs and he has not looked very good imo. I don't know if he has some sort of injury that he is playing through. He's not playing bad but I've noticed he's not as physical and he's yet to score a goal. What will Gainey do with him? At the start of the year, imo he was very likely to get a contract, but his playoff performance could cost him.

Imo I think he will get signed. I have been a fan of his game cause he works hard, plays physical and has speed. I would hope to see him signed, he could go to Long Beach next year.

Alexandre Dulac-Lemelin- D (278th) Dulac is a big defensemen who can play in all situations. He will take the body, can drop the gloves, has a decent shot from the point and his long reach really helps him in his own end. But he is on the slow side and his mobility needs work. This year he was able to tie last year's career high of 8 goals but fell short of surpassing last years numbers. The trade to Bathurst did get him some good play off experience and the Habs are short on D prospects which works in his favor.

Imo I think he goes unsigned and reenters the draft. If he got signed it would likely be to play in Long Beach. If he can get faster he might make a good bottom pairing AHLer.

There's also Jon Gleed who has to be signed this year but I don't believe NCAAers fall under the June 1st deadline. Since the new rule was just put into place I'm not sure what the date is for him to be signed. He's the only NCAAer that has to be signed or we lose his rights.

Jon Gleed- LD (212th) Gleed is coming off a very solid season at Cornell, scoring a career high 8 pts in 28 games. He is not known for his offensive skills, scoring only 4 goals in his entire 4 year career (with 3 in 1 season) The assistant captain played on Cornell's #1 PK unit and is very solid in his own end. He's big, strong, will play physical, plays a smart game and he can rush the puck up ice. Skates well with good speed (not as fast as O'Byrne though) The downside is that he has yet to show much offensive upside. He just picked up a couple awards at the Cornell banquet.

The Joe DeLibero-Stan Tsapsis Award - Presented to the player who
most nearly exemplifies the skilled efficiency, unselfish dedication,
and hard-nosed competitive applications that distinquishes him
as representative of Joe DeLivero's and Stan Tsapsis' uniqueness.

The Sam Woodside Award - Presented to the senior player who has
most improved in overall playing ability and has exhibited team
leadership with his play during his career

O'Byrne got this award,

The Ironman Award - Presented to the team member who, in spite
of being bruised, broken, spliced, or otherwise hurt, most
demonstrated the will and determination to overcome his injuries
and contribute to the team

Plus he was named assistant captain for next season (only seniors get to be C and A's)

Imo I have no clue if Gainey will sign him or not. I would really like to see him signed, even if he ends up in Long Beach. I'd much rather see a guy like Gleed signed then Dulac due to him being a smarter, harder working, more mobile defensemen.

Then there's the Euro's. Not sure of the exact date for them either, but it's all unsigned draft Euro prospects from every draft up to 2002. So I'll just add that I don't see any guys being signed unless Gainey pulls out a surprise or two. Guys like Linhart, Korneev, Ujcik, Puurula, Eneqvist, Buturlin, Hyytia, Kruchinin, Sidyakin. I think we keep the rights for Euros for 10 years in the old CBA, so I went back to '98.

Korneev- RD (275th) Is the one guy I'd really like to see signed. But I am doubtful of him coming over and have been for some time. He had a tough year and I've heard that he just signed with CSKA, so while he could still sign I'd assume it's a sign he won't.

Linhart- LD (45th) Was a teammate of Bulis during the lockout, I haven't seen much of him outside the wjc's. I'd be all for him being signed but since he left NA after 1 year, I wonder if he would even want to come back.

Other guys of note, I've heard that Puurula just signed to play in the SEL. Kruchinin is playing for Team Russia and I'm sure the Habs know him well since he is a teamate of Emelin and Buturlin at Lada and he was even paired up with Emelin at times this year. I've also heard Petr Strom is leaving the SEL for the Swiss league and M-A Thinel's brother will be joining him in the French league with Les Dragons de Rouen

Old
05-10-2006, 04:02 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

I would really love to see Gleed and O'byrne get signed. Actually is O'byrne signed because you didn't include him in your list, if sso, would it influence Gledd into following him.

Hamilton d-corp was very sad this year.

Old
05-10-2006, 04:06 PM
Matrix

I hoped for Kosty to play in the Memorial Cup but now, maybe it's a good think we'll see Stewart in order to see for yourselves what he really look like and the management will see how he looks in a tournament like that where you've got to perform well and fast.....

As much as I would've loved to see Kosty, we sure that he's a great prospect. As far as Stewart, we're not sure anymore, time for him to not give the management the choice of signing him.

Old
05-10-2006, 05:08 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe
I would really love to see Gleed and O'byrne get signed. Actually is O'byrne signed because you didn't include him in your list, if sso, would it influence Gledd into following him.

Hamilton d-corp was very sad this year.
No O'Byrne is not signed, he has one more year at Cornell unless he leaves early.

Old
05-10-2006, 05:55 PM
saskhab

I don't know if they'll sign any of the 3 CHL players. Greg Stewart seems to be the only one with a shot... and he's had an unproductive playoff. I don't know exactly how he's played, but his stats don't look great. I definitely don't expect either Lacasse or Dulac signed.

Gleed I think will be signed... tough to imagine that they drafted him at 20 without already knowing that they'd sign him.

I think O'Byrne will finish out his college program. I'm looking for the Habs to target Korpikari and Emelin this off-season to bring them over to NA.

Don't know about Korneev or Linhart, I'd be surprised if they signed, but you never know.

I also think Grabovsky will come over. Aubin and D'Agostini are eligible for the AHL next year as well... I think they'll sign Aubin.

Old
05-10-2006, 05:59 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
get stewart and gleed signed to 1 year contracts each

Old
05-10-2006, 06:04 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Zednik
get stewart and gleed signed to 1 year contracts each

You can't do that. Stewart has to be signed to a 3 year deal or no contract at all. Rookie contracts are 3 years for under 22 (I believe), 2 years for under 25 and 1 year for over 25. I might be off a little on the ages, but basically Stewart has to get a 3 year, nothing less. Gleed he's 22 so it's likely a 2 year deal for him but I could be a year off which would make it a 3 year deal for him.

Old
05-10-2006, 06:10 PM
Kirk Muller*

Thanks for the update montreal. You do a really good job.

Old
05-10-2006, 06:57 PM
StanAjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
M-A Thinel's brother will be joining him in the French league with Les Dragons de Rouen

Oh, I didn't even notice that a former Habs pick was playing in Rouen. I was living one hour from there until February.

Well, I'll see him next year.

By the way, he racked up points this year, and with the signing of his twin, Rouen will be able to reunite the former Tigres de Victoriaville's line Thinel-Mallette-Thinel.

I remember how some fans were saying that Marc-Andre was the steal of the draft, back in 1999.

For the players that have to be signed, I'd expect Gleed will be. But the record is not very good for the last NCAA players that the Habs let graduate : Dyment and Selig were not signed and I'm not sure about Shasby. I thought he was not signed either, but he played for Hamilton and Long Beach last year. Still, based on your reports Dan, I had the same level of expectation for Gleed (I'm not saying he's the same kind of player though), and I wouldn't be surprised either way. But with the need in Hamilton, a steady stay-at-home could be useful for the Dogs. If not next year, the one after a season in ECHL.

Late round picks have to continually improve to have a chance of earning a contract. I'm not sure either of our CHL prospects has improved enough for the Habs brass to believe they can become NHLers at this point of their careers. If they can help Hamilton or Long Beach fill holes in the roster, they might just be signed for that purpose though.

Finally, I'd like to see at least one of our dmen with a legitimate NHL upside in Hamilton next year, be it O'Byrne, Emelin or Korpikari.

Old
05-10-2006, 11:10 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanAjax
Oh, I didn't even notice that a former Habs pick was playing in Rouen. I was living one hour from there until February.

Well, I'll see him next year.

By the way, he racked up points this year, and with the signing of his twin, Rouen will be able to reunite the former Tigres de Victoriaville's line Thinel-Mallette-Thinel.

I remember how some fans were saying that Marc-Andre was the steal of the draft, back in 1999.

For the players that have to be signed, I'd expect Gleed will be. But the record is not very good for the last NCAA players that the Habs let graduate : Dyment and Selig were not signed and I'm not sure about Shasby. I thought he was not signed either, but he played for Hamilton and Long Beach last year. Still, based on your reports Dan, I had the same level of expectation for Gleed (I'm not saying he's the same kind of player though), and I wouldn't be surprised either way. But with the need in Hamilton, a steady stay-at-home could be useful for the Dogs. If not next year, the one after a season in ECHL.

Late round picks have to continually improve to have a chance of earning a contract. I'm not sure either of our CHL prospects has improved enough for the Habs brass to believe they can become NHLers at this point of their careers. If they can help Hamilton or Long Beach fill holes in the roster, they might just be signed for that purpose though.

Finally, I'd like to see at least one of our dmen with a legitimate NHL upside in Hamilton next year, be it O'Byrne, Emelin or Korpikari.
I was a big fan of Thinel during his junior days, really thought he would have been a better AHLer then he was. oh well. Funny cause I also liked Mallette, both were solid ECHLers.

I would like to see Gleed signed but I agree our NCAA prospects haven't had much luck except the ones that leave early (Hainsey, Komisarek, Higgins) Shasby was indeed signed, funny story well not really funny but I got to talk to him a day or two before he signed with the Habs. We talked about how he wanted to make the team in Hamilton, what it was like going to the rookie camp to play along side guys like Komisarek, Hainsey, who he knew from the NCAA. Really cool guy to talk to, too bad he wasn't resigned, a solid ECHLer.

Guys like Ryan Glenn, Scott Selig, Craig Murray, Chris Dyment, didn't fare too well. I thought Glenn would get a contract but Gainey let him walk, which has me concerned for Gleed cause he's around that level. Glenn had more offense but Gleed is a smarter defensemen, bigger, stronger I'd say although I've seen Gleed a lot more then Glenn. Glenn did go on to be a ECHL All Star in his rookie year. As a big Cornell fan it would be great to see both Gleed and O'Byrne with the team.

Old
05-10-2006, 11:37 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
You can't do that. Stewart has to be signed to a 3 year deal or no contract at all. Rookie contracts are 3 years for under 22 (I believe), 2 years for under 25 and 1 year for over 25. I might be off a little on the ages, but basically Stewart has to get a 3 year, nothing less. Gleed he's 22 so it's likely a 2 year deal for him but I could be a year off which would make it a 3 year deal for him.
Quote:
Players who sign their first contract at age 18-21 are required to sign three-year Entry Level contracts; players age 22-23 will be required to sign two-year deals; and players age 24 will be required to sign a one-year Entry Level contract.

Old
05-10-2006, 11:54 PM
StanAjax

Quote:
I was a big fan of Thinel during his junior days, really thought he would have been a better AHLer then he was. oh well. Funny cause I also liked Mallette, both were solid ECHLers.

I'll go watch them next year.

I'm angry at the Knights though, 'cos I had everything planned to go watch the OHL Conference finals game 6 in Guelph.....and London concluded the series in 5. I hadn't too much hope when the Storm lost game 4 at home...

And, back to Gainey's mind when it comes to sign a prospect, I tend to believe that he's the type of guy to sign only players with NHL potential, be it because of their raw talent or because they showed a steady improvement...

Well, sometimes, it could just help our farm teams. If you're to give contracts to fill your AHL / ECHL roster, I just prefer that it's with players we drafted instead of Jeff Pauls or Jonathan Aitkens of this world... (well, you need a few vets in your AHL team, but just good ones )

Old
05-11-2006, 12:50 AM
NWT Habs Fan

Good topic starter, Dan.

I would expect that of the CHL'ers that are up for contract or re-entry, Greg Stewart is the one to get the nod. His Garth Murray like reputation has to outweigh his current playoff slump. I am sure that the scouting staff will be assessing things for Gainey based on many games watched, although GM's like to see their guys step it up in the big games. I just think an energy player like him could find a spot with either the Dogs or Ice Dogs.

Lacasse never impressed me. I never liked the fact that Julien Ellis was still available and we went after this guy. Dulac-Lemelin has always looked really slow on his skates and quite slow to react in the few games I have seen him play live. His size and versatility may make him a wildcard, but I think Gainey will likely let him walk and look for potential free agents to beef up the D in the farm teams a la Sanford and Cote.

As for the soon to be twenty year olds, I fully expect Aubin to get a contract. D'Agostini does not turn 20 until the AHL season is just underway so management may leave him as an overager in Guelph as he has been their heart and soul. They both had break out years in the CHL and it is time to see what they can do in the farm now (or possibly next year for D'Agostini) against the pros.

Gleed has been a character guy and has had a decent career at Cornell, the NCAA team that takes its defensive play seriously. It is a solid program and he is well respected at the school so I expect he will get the nod from the Habs to play in the farm somewhere. A good solid stay at home guy with good hockey sense seems like a good addition, not to mention that he has good enough size to make the adjustment.

Jon's teammate Ryan O'Byrne really had a stellar year and was the heart and soul of that defence and was the team's MVP for a big part of the season (that injury did have an impact). He has shown great mobility and skill for a big guy, and has cut down on lots of dumb penalties that were the bane of his play last season. Management will be tempted to lure him to Hamilton early, but for the sake of his senior year at Cornell, they may hold off until next spring when he is done. Either way, I look forward to see him in the bleu, blanc et rouge of the Dogs soon.

As for the Euros, I used to really like Korneev but he seems to have stalled in his developement this year. A lot less games played (lots of competition for ice time, injuries? not sure) and his overall offensive productivity seems to have dried up at the same time. Since he is so small by NHL defender standards, he sort of needs to produce to get management's eye. I expect him to join Buturlin and others that never make the jump. I would like to see how Linhart fares with another trip this way as he has become a staple on a top team in the Czech elite league. He has big size, but not much offense at all.

As for European guys whom we don't have to sign but I would like to see signed: they are Grabovski, Emelin and Korpikari. I really think each of those guys could bring something of value to Hamilton next season and I even think Grabovski could be a surprise call up once he adapts to the North American game. Not sure he has much more to learn in the RSL, so time to get over to this side of the pond.

Closed Thread