HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Reimer??

Old
10-08-2012, 10:05 PM
Duke Silver
Truce?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawg1234 View Post
Everything that could go wrong went wrong in february, goaltending absolutely collapsed, I remember that florida game where schenn missed a basic pass and they shot it right in on reimer as the end of the season. They just gave up essentially.
The back-breaker last season was February 21st vs. New Jersey.

Three absolutely brutal goals let in by Gustavsson, including the infamous OT winner: a wrister from the point that was going wide.

We had battled back from 2-0 to tie the game, and also tied it at 3's in the last minute on a goal from Kessel. Really gutsy effort from the guys to undo the Monster's mistakes. The look on Lupul's face after the game-winner said it all.

The Leafs were in 8th going into that night. They went 1-8-1 in their next 10 games.

Last edited by Duke Silver: 10-08-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 10:10 PM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
The back-breaker last season was February 21st vs. New Jersey.

Three absolutely brutal goals let in by Gustavsson, including the infamous OT winner: a wrister from the point that was going wide.

We had battled back from 2-0 to tie the game, and also tied it at 3's in the last minute on a goal from Kessel. The look on Lupul's face after the game-winner said it all.

The Leafs were in 8th going into that night. They went 1-8-1 in their next 10 games.
I wont argue that, it was hideous...In defence of gus i believe around that time had been thrown under the bus and rotated in and out. It turned into a system wide failure after that...

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 10:41 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by theremedial View Post
I wont argue that, it was hideous...In defence of gus i believe around that time had been thrown under the bus and rotated in and out. It turned into a system wide failure after that...
How was he thrown under the bus. Reimer was healthy and needed a start and got a couple of shutouts.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 11:29 PM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
How was he thrown under the bus. Reimer was healthy and needed a start and got a couple of shutouts.
And starting him against Boston was a big bad mistake. Wilson was hard on tenders the whole time, he should never have been there past season two. The guy was a trainwreck the whole time I hated everything about the coaching style save for when the team was winning and I attribute that mostly to Lupul and Kessel showing up in a big way. Just look at the GF VS GA, last November a few of us were called out as alarmists because of those stats, threads were created such as outscoring our problems. In the end we were proven correct, the system failed, they could not sustain playing over their heads burnt out and crashed. No human could sustain the tempo called upon by Wilson for an entire season, come playoffs they would have nothing in the tank anyways.

Old
10-08-2012, 11:36 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

What does that have to do with being thrown under the bus?

Perhaps what you mean is "he was hung out to dry".

Edit: I just learned that the term "under the bus" is attributed to Cyndi Lauper.

Last edited by smoke meat pete*: 10-08-2012 at 11:56 PM.
Old
10-09-2012, 12:00 AM
thewave

Quote:

Edit: I just learned that the term "under the bus" is attributed to Cyndi Lauper.
He made comments routinely that could be seen as negative feedback to the press regarding his tenders. It was pretty constant, Wilson always excused his system and laid blame on them. He also rotated them out when they were on hot streaks...was pretty bad.

Old
10-09-2012, 12:39 AM
rdawg1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by theremedial View Post
I agree, I remember going into february thinking this is the first time in 7-8 years we'd make the playoffs as although they were inconsistent, we still maintained that 7th-8th place.

it was the worst losing streak in 20 years, I dont know how anyone can really say we were a lottery team, more like they lost a couple and then turned on the system.

Run and gun killed the playoff hopes, as well as very mediocre goaltending(that new jersey game above is an example of gus's inconsistency.).

We'll see though how they perform under carlyle, although we may have to wait a year to see that.

rdawg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 12:52 AM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawg1234 View Post
I agree, I remember going into february thinking this is the first time in 7-8 years we'd make the playoffs as although they were inconsistent, we still maintained that 7th-8th place.

it was the worst losing streak in 20 years, I dont know how anyone can really say we were a lottery team, more like they lost a couple and then turned on the system.
Definitely.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 06:58 AM
Borjes Baumingdyk
OurFanbaseIsTheEnemy

Quote:

When she was referring to copulating with Capt. Lou Albano. lol ewwww

Reimer= Quick

Borjes Baumingdyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 07:35 AM
Man Bear Pig

The day this fanbase gets a Tambellini-like smirk on their face, as if they actually accomplished something by finishing dead last, is the day I truly become embarrassed to be a Leafs fan. If your goal is that of the Oilers then you don't have your priorities straight. Yes, it would be great to add such a great a piece but if that's the goal going into it before game one, that's ****ing sad.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 09:05 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
The day this fanbase gets a Tambellini-like smirk on their face, as if they actually accomplished something by finishing dead last, is the day I truly become embarrassed to be a Leafs fan. If your goal is that of the Oilers then you don't have your priorities straight. Yes, it would be great to add such a great a piece but if that's the goal going into it before game one, that's ****ing sad.
I agree. A hockey market this strong should never embrace losing as a virtue. Burke himself realizes that those who criticize him the most really care about the team.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 09:30 AM
Faltorvo

The slide started on Feb 7.

Between Feb 7 and Mar 14 we went 2-13-2

OT win over EDM
Win over Mon
OT losses to NJ/Phil

I struggle with the concept that folks could not see/feel it happening in real time.

We played 2 full months of dead hockey.

Even the wins over EDM and Mon felt kinda hollow, seeing how bad a season they to was having.

Yes our collapse was an anomaly, i don't deny that.

But i also see banking 19 of our first possible 24 points ,also as one.

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 09:38 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
I agree. A hockey market this strong should never embrace losing as a virtue. Burke himself realizes that those who criticize him the most really care about the team.
As a virtue? No.

But i see it as a valid fall back position, if most indications show that we are not going to compete at a high level in this league.

If we are going to miss the POs, then i want the best possible reimbursement for enduring another disappointing season.

As for the "market this strong" part.

Eh ,sorry to point this out but, we lost our market strength when they enacted the cap.

When we can only out spend a market like Phoenix by 16m our market means little.

If anything, i feel it's now a detriment.

All the added pressure and media attention that goes with a big market and the likes.

We can no longer "over spend" on a player if thats what it takes to over come that, if it's a concern to them.

Last edited by Faltorvo: 10-09-2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old
10-09-2012, 09:42 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Accomplishment?

Not sure i see it that way.

More like a reimbursement for enduring a painful season.

You make it sound like EDM tried to finish 2nd last.

Old
10-09-2012, 10:27 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
I struggle with the concept that folks could not see/feel it happening in real time.

Yes our collapse was an anomaly, i don't deny that.

But i also see banking 19 of our first possible 24 points ,also as one.
The point was, that a run of 10-4-1 from Jan 1st until Feb 6th was when it was hard to see it happening. Is was painfully sick while it was happening in real time it was the month prior that we played so well. We had 5 almost 6 shutouts, and no pp goals against.

Why would you know the wheels would fall off?

Old
10-09-2012, 10:42 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
As a virtue? No.

But i see it as a valid fall back position, if most indications show that we are not going to compete at a high level in this league.

If we are going to miss the POs, then i want the best possible reimbursement for enduring another disappointing season.

As for the "market this strong" part.

Eh ,sorry to point this out but, we lost our market strength when they enacted the cap.

When we can only out spend a market like Phoenix by 16m our market means little.

If anything, i feel it's now a detriment.

All the added pressure and media attention that goes with a big market and the likes.

We can no longer "over spend" on a player if thats what it takes to over come that, if it's a concern to them.
I am not an NHL GM, but I think that there are still ways to be the best without it being about paying big bucks for free agents. Our coaching, training, scouting should be the best in the league. We should also find ways to attract players goes beyond their salary. Not only that, but the incentive of the opportunities an ex-leaf can recieve in this area.

I must challenge your first point. It seems like a reality where if you're aware your team is no good, you just dump all your good to average players in order to tank and put yourself in the best draft position. With that sort of the thinking half of the teams in the league would do it dividing it up into playoff contenders and draft contenders. That would be a **** league as far as I'm concerned.

Old
10-09-2012, 10:46 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
The point was, that a run of 10-4-1 from Jan 1st until Feb 6th was when it was hard to see it happening. Is was painfully sick while it was happening in real time it was the month prior that we played so well. We had 5 almost 6 shutouts, and no pp goals against.

Why would you know the wheels would fall off?
During that stretch, no of course not, how could any feel that way.

But by mid Feb some alarm bells should have been going off.

Old
10-09-2012, 10:53 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
I am not an NHL GM, but I think that there are still ways to be the best without it being about paying big bucks for free agents. Our coaching, training, scouting should be the best in the league. We should also find ways to attract players goes beyond their salary. Not only that, but the incentive of the opportunities an ex-leaf can recieve in this area.

I must challenge your first point. It seems like a reality where if you're aware your team is no good, you just dump all your good to average players in order to tank and put yourself in the best draft position. With that sort of the thinking half of the teams in the league would do it dividing it up into playoff contenders and draft contenders. That would be a **** league as far as I'm concerned.
"Dump all your good to average players"? , well that depends on their age and contract status, well, for me atleast.

If your team is no good and the core is getting "old", then yes, one needs to rotate older stock for younger stock.

Take Calg for instance, if i was their GM, that toilet would have been flushed by the start of last season, heck, maybe even the season before that.

Old
10-09-2012, 11:01 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
I am not an NHL GM, but I think that there are still ways to be the best without it being about paying big bucks for free agents. Our coaching, training, scouting should be the best in the league. We should also find ways to attract players goes beyond their salary. Not only that, but the incentive of the opportunities an ex-leaf can receive in this area.

Coaching,scouting,GM,should be the best in the league?

Sorry but how is that possible?

If they are "the best' at any of those given jobs, one would think they are already game fully employed by another team. One would think those teams are not going to just lets those people slip away.

What is fair to say is that ours should be the highest paid.

If a team has not had overwhelming success in the Draft, like us over the past what? 20 years?

Then a team needs to either make a killing in the UFA market or steal some star/elite talent via trade.

Old
10-09-2012, 11:20 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Coaching,scouting,GM,should be the best in the league?

Sorry but how is that possible?

If they are "the best' at any of those given jobs, one would think they are already game fully employed by another team. One would think those teams are not going to just lets those people slip away.

What is fair to say is that ours should be the highest paid.

If a team has not had overwhelming success in the Draft, like us over the past what? 20 years?

Then a team needs to either make a killing in the UFA market or steal some star/elite talent via trade.
See! You've already found creative ways without having it be about Salaries!

Old
10-09-2012, 11:21 AM
zeke
#freewilly

I never like to dismiss the bad times as just an "anomaly".

But in my near 30yrs of watching Leafs hockey, I have never seen anything like last season's collapse.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 11:33 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
I never like to dismiss the bad times as just an "anomaly".

But in my near 30yrs of watching Leafs hockey, I have never seen anything like last season's collapse.
It is indeed dark times for Leaf Nation at present, something we haven't had to endure for decades.

In past seasons when the pressure to perform has been removed by the position in the standings, the Leafs have had strong finishes to seasons, but that success never carries forward over to next season.

Now we ended with an epic all-time disastrous collapse instead, and have to wonder if that will carry forward, and if the underlying reason is a team lacking intestinal fortitude to deal well under pressure.?

Pressure seems to be the common denominator to help explain the results of the Leafs team.

10-10-2012, 12:39 AM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
It is indeed dark times for Leaf Nation at present, something we haven't had to endure for decades.

In past seasons when the pressure to perform has been removed by the position in the standings, the Leafs have had strong finishes to seasons, but that success never carries forward over to next season.

Now we ended with an epic all-time disastrous collapse instead, and have to wonder if that will carry forward, and if the underlying reason is a team lacking intestinal fortitude to deal well under pressure.?

Pressure seems to be the common denominator to help explain the results of the Leafs team.
I think they played that system until they had no legs left and buckled while the more defensive tempo teams kept steady and had another gear left, the leafs did not. After a few loses you may add some pressure but I think they played their arses off to win or compete with many teams last year. Nobody will ever tell me last season was full of solid strategy and consistency. They outscored their problems...