HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), CJAHL, and its leagues

CCHL 2012-2013 season - part II (Mod warning in Post 30)

Closed Thread

Old
10-08-2012, 10:40 AM
EasternOntario Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings87 View Post
Yes, Gloucester's record so far is better without (4-2-1) than with (1-5) C. Durocher in their lineup. Perhaps it's a question of team chemistry, or perhaps the other players have elevated their games to compensate for his absence. I assume he'd rather be playing major junior or pro, but he'd definitely be an impressive player to watch in this league if his effort level is there.
I would have to agree, I will admit to never having seen him play before this year, so obbviously there was a reason he was drafted to the NHL----and good for him for that. I think he will have to learn to compete his hardest no matter where he is playing, or it will seriously hamper moving to the next level.

On another note,probably saw one of the hardest open ice hits ever yesterday, with Martin laying out a Ranger player at center ice. To me it was clean---two minute charging at worst. Referee calls head contact,which is funny because I think Martin is about seven inches shorter, and never left his feet.

Old
10-08-2012, 10:57 AM
Ottawa Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings87 View Post
Yes, Gloucester's record so far is better without (4-2-1) than with (1-5) C. Durocher in their lineup. Perhaps it's a question of team chemistry, or perhaps the other players have elevated their games to compensate for his absence. I assume he'd rather be playing major junior or pro, but he'd definitely be an impressive player to watch in this league if his effort level is there.
If he was willing to put out that level of effort he would still be playing major junior....

Old
10-08-2012, 12:12 PM
Kings87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Guy View Post
If he was willing to put out that level of effort he would still be playing major junior....
Perhaps you're right...i just assumed C. Durocher got caught in numbers game as an OHL overager. I haven't really followed his junior career and only took notice of him in the one game i've seen him play for Gloucester this season. Maybe he'll end up back in major junior soon (after NHL lockout??)...i do not know.

Old
10-08-2012, 05:23 PM
KL14

Nepean does the right thing

I hear at the rinks that Nepean has traded Kevin Groulx (96) to Kanata. Nice to see them doing the right for a player with loads of up side and having a good year in Jr B.

Old
10-08-2012, 05:29 PM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL14 View Post
I hear at the rinks that Nepean has traded Kevin Groulx (96) to Kanata. Nice to see them doing the right for a player with loads of up side and having a good year in Jr B.
How would this trade help Groulx as Kanata already has 3 16 year olds? The best thing for Kevin is to stay in Stittsville and continue playing well. He'll definitely play Junior A next year (Kanata or Nepean).

Old
10-08-2012, 05:32 PM
Ottawa Guy

Quote:
Had to do more about improving team for this season, had to give up Groulx in order to get rights to Phil Nasca who is returning to the CCHL.

Old
10-08-2012, 06:38 PM
KL14

Groulx

I think it helps Groulx in a couple of ways...first he will continue with Stittsville but I am sure will be Ap'd and will get in more than a few games this year....and next year he should make Kanata as a 17 year old, which again, Nepean have very few of...

Old
10-08-2012, 07:09 PM
oldnucks

Quote:
Had to do more about improving team for this season, had to give up Groulx in order to get rights to Phil Nasca who is returning to the CCHL.
Thats a very good pick up for nepean, surprised kanata wasnt able to get more. Possible pdf involved too...?

Old
10-08-2012, 07:35 PM
Grabbers

Monday, October 8, 2012

The Canadian Junior Hockey League (CJHL) in conjunction with NHL Central Scouting announced today its Weekly Top 20 rankings for the week of October 8th. Last week's rankings and the leagues in which the teams belong to are in parenthesis.

The CJHL Weekly Top 20 as of Monday, October 8th:

1. (1) Brooks Bandits (AJHL)
2. (2) Penticton Vees (BCHL)
3. (4) Flin Flon Bombers (SJHL)
4. (7) Truro Bearcats (MHL)
5. (8) Bonnyville Pontiacs (AJHL)
6. (9) OCN Blizzard (MJHL)
7. (NR) Trenton Golden Hawks (OJHL)
8. (5) Sudbury Nickel Barons (NOJHL)
9. (3) Winnipeg Blues (MJHL)
10. (11) Minnesota Wilderness (SIJHL)
11. (10) Coquitlam Express (BCHL)
12. (13) Ottawa Jr. Senators (CCHL)
13. (15) Oakville Blades (OJHL)
14. (NR) St. Michael's Buzzers (OJHL)
15. (6) Dryden Ice Dogs (SIJHL)
16. (18) Yarmouth Jr. A Mariners (MHL)
17. (17) Saint Jerome Pantheres (LHJAAAQ)
18. (NR) Smiths Falls Bears (CCHL)
19. (19) Georgetown Raiders (OJHL)
20. (NR) Yorkton Terriers (SJHL)

Honourable Mention goes to the Chilliwack Chiefs (BCHL), Whitecourt Wolverines (AJHL), Portage Terriers (MJHL), Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL), Summerside Western Capitals (MHL).

The weekly rankings are based upon a variety of factors, including the league in which the teams play, winning percentage, win-loss record, total points accumulated, goals-for versus goals-against ratio, etc.

Congrats to the Jr. Sens and the Bears. Good for you!

Old
10-09-2012, 02:57 PM
SPORTSMANIAC

Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
Maine adds Byron to 2013 recruiting class
By Nathan Fournier Published: 9th October 2012
Quote:
The University of Maine mens ice hockey team added to their 2013 recruiting class with a verbal commitment from forward Blaine Byron, who currently plays with the Kemptville 73s of the Central Canada Hockey League.

I chose Maine because I really felt it was the best fit for me and I got a real good vibe from the coaches, said Byron. I also really liked how they get so many fans a game and really wanted that sort of atmosphere to play in front of every night.
LLINK>>>

Old
10-09-2012, 04:00 PM
stickhandle

Groulx playing in Stittsville was not hurting his development, getting lots icetime and being successful at the JrB level is better than being a 4th liner at the next level
(Paul Byron,Mike Bergen, Mac Weagar, Nevin Guy, Eric O'Dell etc.)
The trade has nothing to do with " Nice to see them doing the right for a player " doing him right was sending him to Jr B

Old
10-09-2012, 04:54 PM
Ottawa Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnucks View Post
Thats a very good pick up for nepean, surprised kanata wasnt able to get more. Possible pdf involved too...?
I am sure there would also be a PDF.

Old
10-09-2012, 05:25 PM
KL14

Groulx

The point is he will continue to play Junior B and develop and he will get chances to play for Kanata throughout the year as an AP. However, based on Nepean's model, where they carry few 17 year olds, as noted by Grabbers and there is nothing wrong with that, he has a better chance playing Jr A with Kanata next year than playing Jr A with Nepean. I was giving Nepean the benefit of doubt by saying that perhaps they had this in mind when they dealt him to Kanata....so the trade is good for Kanata, I am sure it is good for Nepean and IMO great for Groulx.

Grabbers, am I off base on this ?

Old
10-09-2012, 06:12 PM
Grabbers

Quote:
The point is he will continue to play Junior B and develop and he will get chances to play for Kanata throughout the year as an AP. However, based on Nepean's model, where they carry few 17 year olds, as noted by Grabbers and there is nothing wrong with that, he has a better chance playing Jr A with Kanata next year than playing Jr A with Nepean. I was giving Nepean the benefit of doubt by saying that perhaps they had this in mind when they dealt him to Kanata....so the trade is good for Kanata, I am sure it is good for Nepean and IMO great for Groulx.

Grabbers, am I off base on this ?
We get the rights to a player PG wants and he feels can provide immediate help. PG feels he needs to inject a potential impact player. He is thinking about this years Raiders and immediate success. He reloads - he doesn't rebuild.

Whether a 16/17 year old is a future standout in a year - or two - or three years time in Kanata, or anywhere else, is a chance he is willing to take in this instance. This deal IMO was about immediate improvement versus looking after a youngster or doing the "right thing" as someone suggested. But again this is just IMO and I do not speak for the ownership or team management.

All organizations are not the same. PG brings in quantity and finds quality players and makes deals for mature (18+) puckchasers. He'll worry about next year starting next May.

My personal opinion is that Groulx doesn't play here and he is best off in JrB and cracking Kanata next year (and AP'd this year I suspect).

As Brian Burke says - the best deals are those that are good for everyone involved. This indeed may be one of those cases.

Old
10-09-2012, 10:06 PM
Grabbers

Post Trade....

Quote:
Nepean 5 - Kanata 0 tonight at the KRC:
Hedges and Neal each had two points and Nasca pays immediate dividends with a unassisted goal. Nice pick-up and I am sure PG isn't done yet! A veteran presence. Plouffe and his linemates no points and Lane pulled after 33 minutes.

Last edited by Grabbers: 10-09-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old
10-10-2012, 06:40 AM
BackBringCam

The score really does not describe the game. It was actually pretty tight, one of those nights where one team got absolutely no bounces, not sure I've ever witnessed a game where one team fluffed on so many chances, posts, fanned shots.
St Germaine was stellar in relief.

Old
10-10-2012, 07:18 AM
CoasttoCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackBringCam View Post
The score really does not describe the game. It was actually pretty tight, one of those nights where one team got absolutely no bounces, not sure I've ever witnessed a game where one team fluffed on so many chances, posts, fanned shots.
St Germaine was stellar in relief.
I listened to the game on the radio, it was closer then the score, but Nepean deserved the 2 pts. Nepean has'nt had any bounces go their way lately, they were do for some bounces and things will even out. Great game for Mulder in his return to the nets. What interests me most is the Nasca pickup, I was starting to wonder how committed Nepean was to defending their crown, I think it is a clear signal to all involved, Nepean plans to load up and try and win again this year.

Old
10-10-2012, 07:51 AM
BackBringCam

Absolutely, not saying they didn't deserve the 2, just comical how many bad bounces the Stallions got, it would have been about 12-5 if they had finished!

Old
10-10-2012, 08:49 AM
gusfring

Interesting that the supposed "worst" D core in the league has the fewest goals against.

Old
10-10-2012, 10:05 AM
Rangersfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
Interesting that the supposed "worst" D core in the league has the fewest goals against.
Bad defence can be covered a bit by good backchecking forwards and good goaltending, Theyre defence will only get better as the season goes on im sure

Old
10-10-2012, 10:22 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangersfan21 View Post
Bad defence can be covered a bit by good backchecking forwards and good goaltending, Theyre defence will only get better as the season goes on im sure
Yes I know. I watch the game. They have not had great goaltending so far this year.

The point is, their D is better than people have given them credit for.

Old
10-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Ottawa Guy

Quote:
Yes I know. I watch the game. They have not had great goaltending so far this year.

The point is, their D is better than people have given them credit for.
They play a team defense that includes forwards, goalie and defense. Nepean's forwards control the play a lot which makes it a lot easier on the defense plus they provide some good backchecking. They also have not had all their top defense playing healthy over any length of time so it is hard to tell exactly how good they are. I do not think they are as good as last year on the back-end when they had three of the top ones in the league, but they are far from beng a bad group.

Old
10-10-2012, 01:18 PM
Ottawa Guy

EndeavourSportsGroup‏@EndeavourSG

New start in a familiar home for Jake Butler, moved to the Kemptville 73's by Nepean. Best of luck.

Old
10-10-2012, 01:32 PM
eddyshack

Definition of an Optimist: your team gets spanked 5 to 0 and you think it was "close". Hahahaha. That is hilarious. "If my aunt had a balls, she would be my uncle".

Old
10-10-2012, 01:59 PM
ottawafan66

Quote:
I don't recall anyone saying they would be "worst" in the league. I myself stated that they wouldn't be as strong as last season, which they aren't.

Closed Thread