HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

ESPN Insider Top 25 under 25

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-10-2012, 07:05 AM
  #1
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,594
vCash: 500
ESPN Insider Top 25 under 25

ESPN Insider put together a top 25 under 25 list

Toews
Stamkos
Couture
Staal
Tavares
Kane
Hall
Doughty
Karlsson
Marchand
Pietrangelo
Seguin
Benn
Perron
Skinner
Hedman
Lucic
Gagner
E. Kane
Shattenkirk
Eberle
Berglund
Varlamov
Myers
Simmonds

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/story...s-vaults-board

Terrible list. Sam Gagner?

Craig Custance asked some NHL coaches and execs their opinions on the list

Quote:
One of the executives was read the list of defensemen in the Top 25 and noticed the exclusion of Ryan McDonagh. "McDonagh for me would be well up there. Just his maturity alone," he said. "I didn't hear Michael Del Zotto either." He felt that Kevin Shattenkirk (No. 20) and Victor Hedman (No. 16) were too high and would have found room for both Rangers defensemen in the top 25.

"They put them in great position to succeed because they took their time with them," he said. "As only the Rangers can do, they put guys into a position and say, 'Here it is. This is the way it's going to be, and go do it.'"
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog/...25-25-rankings

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 07:13 AM
  #2
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils
 
Tanner Glass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC
Country: Austria
Posts: 16,762
vCash: 50
hahahahaha

McD is better than two thirds of that list

Tanner Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 07:28 AM
  #3
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,012
vCash: 500
Well that list is a joke. At the very least McDonagh should've been on it, and high on it.

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 07:28 AM
  #4
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,457
vCash: 500
Giroux is still 24, turns 25 in Jan. So, my list includes him as well as RNH. I'll remove Marchand and Gagner from the list.

Nothing else really worth kicking up a stink about...although there's a few names there I'd question, W. Simmonds.

ESPN really seems to favor the Canadians... Can't say I disagree.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 07:29 AM
  #5
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank
 
KingWantsCup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,292
vCash: 50
Marchand #10 and Varlamov even on the list bahahaha.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 07:29 AM
  #6
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Well that list is a joke. At the very least McDonagh should've been on it, and high on it.
You're right.... McDonagh should have been included.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 07:36 AM
  #7
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Giroux is still 24, turns 25 in Jan. So, my list includes him as well as RNH. I'll remove Marchand and Gagner from the list.

Nothing else really worth kicking up a stink about...although there's a few names there I'd question, W. Simmonds.

ESPN really seems to favor the Canadians... Can't say I disagree.
I disagree, I think Simmonds should be on it. He was showing glimpses of his potential in LA before being traded to Philly. Then last year he took off imo. If he has another year like last, he definitely will defend the case for being on that list.

I think Gagner should be off the list. I think Marchand should stay (as much as I can't stand him) but should be lower on the list. Varlamov should also definitely be off the list. I know I'm about to hate on the Blues but Beglund, Shattenkirk, and even Perron are borderline top 25. They haven't shown me enough YET to be in that top 25 imo. I like them, like the Blues, just don't think they should be on that list yet.

Jordan Staal is way too high. E. Kane should be higher.

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 07:44 AM
  #8
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
I disagree, I think Simmonds should be on it. He was showing glimpses of his potential in LA before being traded to Philly. Then last year he took off imo. If he has another year like last, he definitely will defend the case for being on that list.

I think Gagner should be off the list. I think Marchand should stay (as much as I can't stand him) but should be lower on the list. Varlamov should also definitely be off the list. I know I'm about to hate on the Blues but Beglund, Shattenkirk, and even Perron are borderline top 25. They haven't shown me enough YET to be in that top 25 imo. I like them, like the Blues, just don't think they should be on that list yet.

Jordan Staal is way too high. E. Kane should be higher.

Ya, I get some of your points... I'm not going to be so picky as to argue of positioning on the list... only because I haven't got the time. but normally it's the kinda thing I would do though..))) I would have included players who haven't yet played an NHL game to which I'd add Granlund, Tarasenko, Yakupov and Kuznetsov. Even though I can't stand Kuznetzov. Not sure which players I'd remove from the ESPN list though.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 08:09 AM
  #9
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Ya, I get some of your points... I'm not going to be so picky as to argue of positioning on the list... only because I haven't got the time. but normally it's the kinda thing I would do though..))) I would have included players who haven't yet played an NHL game to which I'd add Granlund, Tarasenko, Yakupov and Kuznetsov. Even though I can't stand Kuznetzov. Not sure which players I'd remove from the ESPN list though.
You can't include them though. They could end up being busts. They haven't proven a thing yet. Plenty of top draft picks over the years have never even played an NHL game, or ended up bouncing around the NHL from team to team as a 3rd and 4th liner. You don't know if those kids will pan out. At least the guys on the list have played NHL games and have had some success.

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 08:10 AM
  #10
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
You can't include them though. They could end up being busts. They haven't proven a thing yet. Plenty of top draft picks over the years have never even played an NHL game, or ended up bouncing around the NHL from team to team as a 3rd and 4th liner. You don't know if those kids will pan out. At least the guys on the list have played NHL games and have had some success.
Hey it's my list... I can do anything I want. )))

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 08:17 AM
  #11
Cliffy1814
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 621
vCash: 500
whomever put this together seems to be a Blues fan.

Cliffy1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 08:21 AM
  #12
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
McDonagh, Del Zotto, (Marc) Staal, and Stepan should be on any of these lists.

There was a thread discussing Stepan, I provided the facts that put him amongst the top centers in the league at his age group.

ESPN as a collective, don't really know what they're talking about in regards to hockey.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 08:30 AM
  #13
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,371
vCash: 500
Pretty mediocre list. Stepan and McDonagh are considerably better than Berglund and Shattenkirk at this point. Sam Gagner continuing to be hyped the way he has been is ridiculous. Very skilled, but he's weak on the puck and doesn't have the compete level a guy his size needs to be an elite player in this league.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 08:37 AM
  #14
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,788
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
McDonagh, Del Zotto, (Marc) Staal, and Stepan should be on any of these lists.

There was a thread discussing Stepan, I provided the facts that put him amongst the top centers in the league at his age group.

ESPN as a collective, don't really know what they're talking about in regards to hockey.
Staalsy is 25, and this is under 25. I agree about McDonagh and Stepan. Del Zotto should certainly be in the top 35 or so, but I'm not sure I'd put him in the top 25.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 08:44 AM
  #15
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Staalsy is 25, and this is under 25. I agree about McDonagh and Stepan. Del Zotto should certainly be in the top 35 or so, but I'm not sure I'd put him in the top 25.
Del Zotto was 18th in scoring among defensemen last year, while missing 5 games. He might have moved up a couple spots had he played in all 82. Rookie year he had 37 points. He is 22 years old this year, won't be 23 until after the season (if there is one). I think if he has another season like he did last year, he will start to push himself into that discussion of one of the elite scoring defensemen in the league, not saying he would be considered elite, but definitely on the outskirts of it. It would definitely put him on that top 25 list as well. With even more offense on the rangers roster it is very possible he puts up 48-52 points in an 82 game season. However, with the season being shortened I'd say 35-40.

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 08:51 AM
  #16
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,788
vCash: 500
Awards:
I want to see another consistent year from Del Zotto.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 09:00 AM
  #17
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I want to see another consistent year from Del Zotto.
I agree with you there. But there is a lot of optimism for him. It really said a lot about his character for him to comeback last year and post 41 points after playing the majority of the prior season in CT, especially for someone who is at a raw young age. 10 points in the playoffs, though he could've been better, still.

Of the top 18 defensemen in scoring last year, only 3 were ahead of del zotto that were under the age of 25. Karlsson, Pietrangelo, and Shattenkirk. All of them are older than Del Zotto.

Karlsson turns 23 in May
Pietrangelo turns 23 in January
Shattenkirk turns 24 in January
Del Zotto turns 23 in June

Not that the ages are a huge difference, but I think it makes all the more reason as to why Del Zotto should be on that list. Other than Karlsson, the other 3 all have very similar career stats. No reason DZ shouldn't have been on that list. In fact, considering that Staal, McDonagh, and Girardi are mostly stay-at-home defensemen should also play in DZ's favor. He provides more of the offense from the backend. Meanwhile Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk both play on the blues. Though when you look at both defenses, the rangers points were spread out better so it's really up for debate.

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 09:07 AM
  #18
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,788
vCash: 500
Awards:
You make a compelling case. This is why I myself never make lists--I always end up regretting something.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 09:19 AM
  #19
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Screw You Rick Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,282
vCash: 3000
How is McDonagh not on that list? How is Toews higher than Stamkos?

__________________
++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<
-]>++++++.>+.+++++++++++++++.>+++++++++.<-.
>-------.<<-----.>----.>.<<+++++++++++.>-------------
-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Screw You Rick Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 09:44 AM
  #20
bubba5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,011
vCash: 500
Who cares. ESPN should stick to the KHL top 25 and then revise their list if/when the lockout is over. They have not been involved in the NHL for years!

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 09:56 AM
  #21
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,594
vCash: 500
Derek Stepan has 96 points in his 1st 2 NHL seasons. Patrik Berglund had 73 points in his 1st 2 NHL seasons. 52 points in his 3rd season. 38 points last season. Whenever these idiots get a deal done,Stepan will playing with at least one of Gaborik,Kreider or Nash.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 11:34 AM
  #22
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I want to see another consistent year from Del Zotto.
Me too.

The ups and downs with him over his first 3 years have been unbelievable. I thought he played great most of last year before the wheels came off at the very end.

Players that go through such wild swings take me a bit longer to trust. Unlike, say, McDonagh, who has been solid as a rock since the first time he stepped on NHL ice.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 12:16 PM
  #23
mschmidt64
Registered User
 
mschmidt64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
McDonagh, Del Zotto, (Marc) Staal, and Stepan should be on any of these lists.

There was a thread discussing Stepan, I provided the facts that put him amongst the top centers in the league at his age group.

ESPN as a collective, don't really know what they're talking about in regards to hockey.
And Kreider too. How is he not on the list?

mschmidt64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 12:42 PM
  #24
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,788
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschmidt64 View Post
And Kreider too. How is he not on the list?
He's an exciting performer, but this list is all guys who have been in the league for at least a full season or two. Kreider may be on something like this next year, but I think most people want to see a full year from him first.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 01:57 PM
  #25
h0ckeyman
Registered User
 
h0ckeyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,056
vCash: 500
When you start reading the list from the top down and you see that at #1 is any name other than Steven Stamkos you can stop reading right there.

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.