*OFFICIAL* Kitchener Rangers 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-30-2012, 12:06 PM
RayzorIsDull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Yes, all the accolades with a team asterisk!
That would be incorrect since it's based off stuff that happened in Aug 09 to the present. So the first Memorial Cup is fine if you're going to make statements like that at least do the proper research.

Old
09-30-2012, 12:41 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
That would be incorrect since it's based off stuff that happened in Aug 09 to the present. So the first Memorial Cup is fine if you're going to make statements like that at least do the proper research.
Just because they were fined for certain offences from Aug 09 doesn't mean the cheating didn't happen prior to that. Rest assured those astericks are there for a vast majority of OHL fans.

Old
09-30-2012, 03:06 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Just because they were fined for certain offences from Aug 09 doesn't mean the cheating didn't happen prior to that. Rest assured those astericks are there for a vast majority of OHL fans.
I will check the OHL media guide this year and let you know what it says, I will get back to you once I view it.

Old
10-01-2012, 09:17 AM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
That's not really the point. Gibson is the better goalie in the OHL yes, but that doesn't make him the better prospect.
For position players, that is often the case. But for my money, the better goalie is usually the better prospect. And having watched both extensively, I think Gibson is simply the better goalie. Period.

Things can change, but his instincts, reaction time and positioning are all superior if you ask me. And unless your positing that scouts feel Campbell has a hidden reserve in those areas that they are about to tap, I stand by my assessment.

Old
10-01-2012, 09:42 AM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
For position players, that is often the case. But for my money, the better goalie is usually the better prospect. And having watched both extensively, I think Gibson is simply the better goalie. Period.

Things can change, but his instincts, reaction time and positioning are all superior if you ask me. And unless your positing that scouts feel Campbell has a hidden reserve in those areas that they are about to tap, I stand by my assessment.
Gibson is just more developed than Campbell is at the same age, Gibson is consistent, always good, Campbell was more raw, a lot more inconsistent, but always had more than a handful of games where he stood up and looked like an amazing goalie.

Campbell's raw talent is better, more projectibility. It's not about who's better now, it's about who's better when they're both starting goalies. In baseball, a 22 year old college prospect is almost always the better player than the 17 highschool phenom when drafted, but it's about what they do when they've reached the big leagues. Gibson is a great prospect but Campbell is always talked about that projectibility.

And for the Windsor fan who seems to insinuate because Ellis got 100 points he's better than Murphy, this is a prime example of way you don't scout with stats.

Old
10-01-2012, 09:48 AM
Raisy

Quote:
By the same token, I guess we could say that just because Kitchener wasn't caught cheating, doesn't mean they haven't.

Old
10-01-2012, 09:54 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisy View Post
By the same token, I guess we could say that just because Kitchener wasn't caught cheating, doesn't mean they haven't.
Never said or thought it couldn't be true!

Until any other team is caught they aren't guilty.
I don't label any team as 100% guilty from internet chatter.

Old
10-01-2012, 10:17 AM
ORYX

Personally, I think Gibson will be the better goaltender of the two.

Thus far this season he has been lights out. If thats an indication of how he will play this year, then yes, he is without second thought better. He will likely slow a bit, but who knows really.

I'm just happy he is playing phenomenal, and whatever happens in the future happens. Look what happened to Raycroft and Mason as two examples. At the top of hockey one year, in the gutter the next. At the premier league in the world to boot.

I also believe that saying someone is better and comparing their junior years are two different things. You want to see who strung together the better junior career? Look at the stats. You want to know who's better? You'd better sit down and watch a bunch of games and throw the stat sheet away. Surely Oskar Dansk isnt a crappy goalie (drafted 31st NHL) despite his 5.47 GAA and his 0.873 GAA with the Otters.....Situations certainly help a player out.

I dont think Ryan Ellis would have posted the points he did on any other OHL team. He still would have been good, but those were some monster numbers, and playing with some of the best junior hockey players helps, as does playing behind great defenders, and with excellent wingers.

Old
10-01-2012, 01:27 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Gibson is just more developed than Campbell is at the same age, Gibson is consistent, always good, Campbell was more raw, a lot more inconsistent, but always had more than a handful of games where he stood up and looked like an amazing goalie.

Campbell's raw talent is better, more projectibility. It's not about who's better now, it's about who's better when they're both starting goalies. In baseball, a 22 year old college prospect is almost always the better player than the 17 highschool phenom when drafted, but it's about what they do when they've reached the big leagues. Gibson is a great prospect but Campbell is always talked about that projectibility.

And for the Windsor fan who seems to insinuate because Ellis got 100 points he's better than Murphy, this is a prime example of way you don't scout with stats.
The point is valid about guys who are more polished and have had better coaching and development up until this point. However, I think "projectibility" is just a complicated way of saying that someone somewhere saw something in Campbell that they figured could be honed into the realm of the elite. But if Gibson's talent is already proven to be elite without nearly as much honing needed, isn't that a safer bet to succeed?

Projecting goalies at 18 years old has always been a crap shoot. Lots of guys who were considered raw but with lots of upside ended up flopping big time. I hope Campbell does develop and does end up a top-end guy, but there's certainly no proof or strong reasoning at this point to suggest he'll be better than Gibson.

Old
10-01-2012, 01:40 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
The point is valid about guys who are more polished and have had better coaching and development up until this point. However, I think "projectibility" is just a complicated way of saying that someone somewhere saw something in Campbell that they figured could be honed into the realm of the elite. But if Gibson's talent is already proven to be elite without nearly as much honing needed, isn't that a safer bet to succeed?

Projecting goalies at 18 years old has always been a crap shoot. Lots of guys who were considered raw but with lots of upside ended up flopping big time. I hope Campbell does develop and does end up a top-end guy, but there's certainly no proof or strong reasoning at this point to suggest he'll be better than Gibson.
That's like saying there's no proof or strong reasoning to suggest Connor McDavid will be better than Ryan Strome. It's not that projecting goalies is a crapshot, it's goalies have a lot more development to do then skaters, so they aren't safe picks.

Projectibility is all about what a player can do at the NHL level, and the only comparable goalie drafted since the lockout (2006 draft-present) is Andrey Vasilevski from the last draft. When talking before the 2010 draft, scouts talked about 3 players having franchise potential (That's probably expanded to 4 now with Skinner), Hall, Seguin, and Jack Campbell.

Gibson's been great and he's exceeded expectations but let's wait before saying he's better than Campbell just because he put up better stats in the OHL. Campbell looked pretty amazing when he went to the AHL last year, and he never had the benefit of playing for a strong defensive club.

Old
10-01-2012, 03:04 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
That's like saying there's no proof or strong reasoning to suggest Connor McDavid will be better than Ryan Strome. It's not that projecting goalies is a crapshot, it's goalies have a lot more development to do then skaters, so they aren't safe picks.

Projectibility is all about what a player can do at the NHL level, and the only comparable goalie drafted since the lockout (2006 draft-present) is Andrey Vasilevski from the last draft. When talking before the 2010 draft, scouts talked about 3 players having franchise potential (That's probably expanded to 4 now with Skinner), Hall, Seguin, and Jack Campbell.

Gibson's been great and he's exceeded expectations but let's wait before saying he's better than Campbell just because he put up better stats in the OHL. Campbell looked pretty amazing when he went to the AHL last year, and he never had the benefit of playing for a strong defensive club.
Really? That first part is fairly nonsensical because McDavid has not yet given us anything at the OHL level in his NHL draft year to compare with Strome. It's a very poor example.

And on the latter part, I think I made it fairly clear that my opinion was not "just because he put up better stats in the OHL." At no point did I ever reference stats. I referenced the core skills and techniques that make for a strong goaltending prospect.

But I digress. There's not much point continuing this discussion. I feel Gibson is the stronger prospect and projects to be the better goaltender. And you don't. End of story.

Old
10-01-2012, 04:02 PM
Jack Daniels

Found this on twitter

@1RangerFan
Rangers forward Brandon Lesway has cleared waivers and has now joined Sherbrooke of the QMJHL

Old
10-01-2012, 07:19 PM
CharlieGirl

I really like Lesway - here's hoping he lights it up in the Q.

Old
10-02-2012, 11:22 AM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Daniels View Post
Found this on twitter

@1RangerFan
Rangers forward Brandon Lesway has cleared waivers and has now joined Sherbrooke of the QMJHL
Good to hear. He brings heart. It looks like he will get ice time in Sherbrooke.

Old
10-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

First four games, OK, they're just snakebitten on even strength. Now? This is a complete joke, this is one of the most talented teams in the CHL, why can't they score an even strength goal. They're not even playing trap teams anymore, this is just a joke.

Old
10-09-2012, 12:39 PM
CharlieGirl

I don't know about the rest of you, but it doesn't feel like the season has started or that these games mean anything. Yes, I know they count and the points they're giving away at the moment could be crucial in March.

I cannot wait for October 19 -- this season just sucks so far!

Old
10-09-2012, 01:04 PM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I don't know about the rest of you, but it doesn't feel like the season has started or that these games mean anything. Yes, I know they count and the points they're giving away at the moment could be crucial in March.

I cannot wait for October 19 -- this season just sucks so far!
I feel the same way. Without any home games its just not feeling like it has begun. And with some of the games not being covered on T.V. you just dont get the same feeling of the team (radio doesnt do it justice).

On a bright note, when I went to pick up my season tix I tried to get a few extra for the home opener and there was not a lot of seats together left in the new upper bowl. It should be a loud one next Friday night. I hope they do something special for the 50th Ann. season home opener.

Old
10-09-2012, 01:42 PM
JSavoire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
I feel the same way. Without any home games its just not feeling like it has begun. And with some of the games not being covered on T.V. you just dont get the same feeling of the team (radio doesnt do it justice).

On a bright note, when I went to pick up my season tix I tried to get a few extra for the home opener and there was not a lot of seats together left in the new upper bowl. It should be a loud one next Friday night. I hope they do something special for the 50th Ann. season home opener.

I'd agree! Nothing like a game in the Aud. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing a bunch of games live...will be very cool. Hopefully I'll be able to get some good seats in a few bunches.

Old
10-09-2012, 10:55 PM
Phatpat88

I wish the season opener would have a tour like 2 hours early or something so the fans could see all the changes they have done to the aud

Old
10-10-2012, 08:07 AM
ORYX

I would imagine they have something special in store.

My guess is it'll have to so with building on 50 years of tradition, literally. I hope the new construction doesnt hurt the accoustics, I really hope to hear the O'l Aud rocking like never before!

Can't wait for the game, its also my Birthday that day, so its like a triple threat for me, Home Opener, Birthday and enjoying a beer in my seat!

Old
10-10-2012, 08:30 AM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
I would imagine they have something special in store.

My guess is it'll have to so with building on 50 years of tradition, literally. I hope the new construction doesnt hurt the accoustics, I really hope to hear the O'l Aud rocking like never before!

Can't wait for the game, its also my Birthday that day, so its like a triple threat for me, Home Opener, Birthday and enjoying a beer in my seat!
Having a beer in the seats is a pretty good birthday present :-). Happy pre birthday.

Old
10-12-2012, 12:55 PM
BenchedGuy

The last few road games before the home opener. Hope the boys pull one out in Kingston tonight and get back to the winning ways!

Old
10-12-2012, 03:58 PM
scokan

Was just looking though the OHL site and noticed that Bailey hasnt played a game since he got rocked by Seiloff? Is he expected to miss significant time or is it day to day?
Hope he gets a speedy recovery

Old
10-12-2012, 07:24 PM
Phatpat88

When spot said he was going for it I didn't know it was for the 1st over all pick

Old
10-13-2012, 01:24 PM
EvenSteven

This is a mess!

No leadership!
No grit!
No heart!
No contribution from the last THREE 1st round picks!
No contribution from our three OA's!
This is worse than I thought!
If you're going to lose, at least make the other team pay a price!

Ottawa always plays us tough in Ottawa!
Oshawa may very well embarrass us in the home opener!

Closed Thread