HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

Rumor: Strikeforce to be shut down (Update 11/3 card cancelled)

Old
10-08-2012, 06:16 PM
End of Line
Human After All

vCash: 500
Rumor: Strikeforce to be shut down (Update 11/3 card cancelled)

Arda Ocal ‏@arda_ocal
Rumor: @Strikeforce is shutting down effective immediately. I suspect at least Alvarez, Cormier, Rockhold jump to @UFC. Rousey?

Arda Ocal ‏@arda_ocal
I meant Gilbert Melendez in my last tweet, not Alvarez. Huge news if true, even if eventually expected

Josh Gross ‏@JoshGrossESPN
Rumors swirling re: plug being pulled on Strikeforce. No confirmation yet. But if it's true, was Showtime's call. They hold option for 2013.

FrontRowBrian ‏@FrontRowBrian
Hearing @Strikeforce is being disbanded immediately. It is no more. Another promotion goes by the wayside

Quote:
Sources close to BJPENN.com informed us just moments ago that Strikeforce operations are set to cease and that the promotion is going out of business.

The rumor comes shortly after news broke that Strikeforce middleweight champion Luke Rockhold (10-1 MMA, 9-0 SF) was forced to pull out of his title fight with Lorenz Larkin (13-0 MMA, 4-0 SF) due to a wrist injury.
http://www.bjpenn.com/mmanews/2012/1...ews-38573.html

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 06:32 PM
Peter Griffin

Good, about time.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 06:39 PM
m9

Awesome news. This should fill out the upcoming UFC cards nicely too.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 07:03 PM
CNS
A World Alone

It'll be interesting to see what he does with WMMA. Obviously Rousey will be the first female UFC fighter/champ but then what? Does he sign fighters and create an actual 135 division or will he do 1-off fights?

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 07:25 PM
MeatTornado
I was born ready

Send a message via MSN to MeatTornado
Yeah this was looking like the 2nd straight SF card to get cancelled, Mir, then Rockhold, now Sarah McMann out of her main card fight, doesn't surprise me that Showtime might be ready to pull the plug. Quite frankly I was surprised that they renewed it after the UFC bought the promotion, SF was already dying.

MeatTornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 07:42 PM
CNS
A World Alone

The latest tweets I've read said there's no official decision and for now they still plan to have the card on Nov. 7th. Who the hell is going to headline it now that Rockhold is out?

Old
10-08-2012, 07:49 PM
MurrayBannerman
Moo Points

Woo! Can't wait for the Rockhold/Weidman Title Trilogy!

MurrayBannerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 07:50 PM
MeatTornado
I was born ready

Send a message via MSN to MeatTornado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
The latest tweets I've read said there's no official decision and for now they still plan to have the card on Nov. 7th. Who the hell is going to headline it now that Rockhold is out?
Daniel Cormier vs. TBA
Lorenz Larkin vs. TBA
Tim Kennedy vs. Trevor Smith
Liz Carmouche vs. Sara McMann
Bobby Green vs. Jorge Masvidal*
* - Not officially announced

And now Sara McMann is out. Unless they harvest the UFC for some late replacements I would be surprised if Showtime goes through with this fight.

MeatTornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 08:26 PM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

they should use it as a developmental league

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 09:18 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

No big loss really. Before they were bought out I liked strikforce but they have been gutted since.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 09:51 PM
DeathFromAbove

I enjoyed the pre-Zuffa Strikeforce era, a little competition never hurt anyone. Watching their fall has been sad.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 10:36 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Great news (if true)

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 10:52 PM
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing

Quite enjoyed Strikeforce before it was purchased by Zuffa, but since the purchase I've been wanting it to close shop, and send all their top fighters over to the UFC. So Strikeforce shutting down is great news, if of course it comes to fruition.

PierreMcGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 01:40 AM
CNS
A World Alone

Even latest update via Ariel Helwani is that it isn't shut down and still the 11/3 show will happen. Interesting.

Old
10-09-2012, 02:01 AM
TerminatorBlue

I guess Invicta is one of the last places left for the women, unless Dana decides to start putting them on a card. He did say Cyborg Vs Rousey is close. 140 division?

TerminatorBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 10:21 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Great news (if true)
How so?

UFC kills another promotion.

Competition is good.

Monopoly is bad.

As a fan its nice to have some options.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 03:19 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
How so?

Competition is good.

Monopoly is bad.

It hasn't been competition for the UFC since Zuffa bought it so in that sense, it's good that the few notable fighters in Strikeforce might get a chance to step into the UFC.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 03:25 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

I miss the old days.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 03:57 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
How so?

Competition is good.

Monopoly is bad.

Now the Strikeforce fighters can go to the UFC and the fans get to see better fights.

You're really going to miss seeing a mismatch every three months or so? Guys like Cormier, Melendez, and Rockhold and have no one to fight.

I thought this would make you happy since you think the UFC cards are watered down and a lot of them aren't worth paying for or worth watching. If they shut Strikeforce down and move the fighters over, there should be better UFC cards.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 10:23 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Now the Strikeforce fighters can go to the UFC and the fans get to see better fights.

You're really going to miss seeing a mismatch every three months or so? Guys like Cormier, Melendez, and Rockhold and have no one to fight.

I thought this would make you happy since you think the UFC cards are watered down and a lot of them aren't worth paying for or worth watching. If they shut Strikeforce down and move the fighters over, there should be better UFC cards.
Strikeforce has been a non-entity ever since the UFC bought the company.

Yes it will be nice to see some of their top fighters compete in the UFC, but less promotions at a national level are a bad thing imo. Their needs to be some alternatives/competition out there.

To be quite honest I think the UFC is vulnerable to new company moving in and taking over. It is being run very poorly right now.

This could be taken advantage of.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 11:32 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Less organizations mean less fights. Less fights mean more fighters unable to train full time. Less fighters training full time means quality of prospect development might be stunted. I don't see how anybody can look at an organization that wasn't fixing fights or being crooked closing as "good news", in any form or fashion. We the fans get less fights out of this too. Not every UFC fight has to be two title contenders for me to be entertained. I love the sport, not the UFC. The last few Strikeforce cards have by no means been pure blowouts.

I just can't fathom how some people feel this is positive news. Guys on the preliminary UFC cards, who still happen to be damn good fighters, may lose their jobs over this for no good reason other than an influx of talent pushing them out.

I hate this concept of trying to make every UFC event a supercard. Every time an organization that pays fighters good money to fight closes down, it hurts the sport. Plain and simple. I don't see any two ways about it.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 01:20 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
they should use it as a developmental league
That's called the prelims...

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 03:01 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

That's about time. It should have been axed long ago when most of the talent was being transferred to the UFC.

It annoyed me to no end watching guys like Melendez , Cormier and to a certain extent Jacare and Mousasi waste their time in Strikeforce when they could have much better fights in the UFC. That's especially true for Melendez who could have fought much better guys in the UFC LW division. Cormier fought Bigfoot and Barnett so it wasn't as bad but had hit a roadblock recently with the lack of credible opponents for him in SF. You know the time to close the doors has come when you have to bring guys from the UFC to face your top guys (Mir recently).

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 03:57 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Strikeforce has been a non-entity ever since the UFC bought the company.

Yes it will be nice to see some of their top fighters compete in the UFC, but less promotions at a national level are a bad thing imo. Their needs to be some alternatives/competition out there.

To be quite honest I think the UFC is vulnerable to new company moving in and taking over. It is being run very poorly right now.

This could be taken advantage of.
the chances of somebody challenging UFC are about the same as somebody challenging the NHL NBA NFL MLB in other words absolutely ZERO CHANCE

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 04:01 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Less organizations mean less fights. Less fights mean more fighters unable to train full time. Less fighters training full time means quality of prospect development might be stunted. I don't see how anybody can look at an organization that wasn't fixing fights or being crooked closing as "good news", in any form or fashion. We the fans get less fights out of this too. Not every UFC fight has to be two title contenders for me to be entertained. I love the sport, not the UFC. The last few Strikeforce cards have by no means been pure blowouts.

I just can't fathom how some people feel this is positive news. Guys on the preliminary UFC cards, who still happen to be damn good fighters, may lose their jobs over this for no good reason other than an influx of talent pushing them out.

I hate this concept of trying to make every UFC event a supercard. Every time an organization that pays fighters good money to fight closes down, it hurts the sport. Plain and simple. I don't see any two ways about it.

whats so bad about seein the likes of melendez or comier or barnett in the UFC?

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote