HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

2L or 3L Center to Buffalo

Old
10-09-2012, 07:44 PM

vCash: 500
I like Eller but my guess is Buffalo would want a stop gap third line center, maybe they just go with Porter.

1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 07:50 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post

Virtually no chance he would be traded
, but what would you pay for Zajac. Fits those needs perfectly.
Isn't Zajac in the last year of his contract? Plus, his value has slightly dropped after the last two seasons he has had (he is still incredibly skilled). Although I can see the Devils resigning him, wouldn't it be easier for the Sabres to look at him via free agency rather than a trade?

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 08:08 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
Isn't Zajac in the last year of his contract? Plus, his value has slightly dropped after the last two seasons he has had (he is still incredibly skilled). Although I can see the Devils resigning him, wouldn't it be easier for the Sabres to look at him via free agency rather than a trade?
Could.

However, if he gets to UFA, I'd bet it'll come down to NJ and Winnipeg, but that's just a hunch.

By the way, last year he came back early from injury and only played 15 games or so. He's a solid 50-65 point all-situations center when healthy. The 2010-11 was atrocious for every Devils forward, Kovalchuk barely notched 30 goals, Zajacs 40 something points was third on the team.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 08:22 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
If the lockout lasts long enough for Galchenyuk to get on a roll and make the team and Montreal goes with DD, Plekanec, and Galchenyuk, what would you give for Eller?

16 goals last year with no PP time, and he is reportedly up to 220lbs this offseason. He is a great 3C with a solid chance to become a good 2C. I probably still wouldn't want to trade him even in this scenario but its all hypothetical.

Would something around Stafford work? Maybe small pieces added to each side.
Eller doesn't get you Stafford, IMO. His chemistry with Ennis makes him more valuable to Buffalo than any other team, I think.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 08:28 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
We really don't need another top-six center. None are going to be available for trade and even if they were, the price would be insanely high. We're moreso going to bank on giving those center spots to Ennis and Hodgson and bank on both of them to break out offensively given their bigger roles. Both could very well be excellent top-six centers in their primes and even if both never develop into first lines centers, they'd be an excellent 2A, 2B combo. Plus, we're still banking on Grigorenko to have top-six and possibly first line potential.

What we do need is a solid third or fourth line center, preferably one with some size, grit, a scoring touch, and some faceoff skills. Yes, we know, we just traded one away in Gaustad, but for Goose's price and almost nil offense, plus getting the 1st for him, we really didn't lose too much in that trade. I'd be interested in a Malhotra, Laich, or even Bozak type. Stoll isn't going anywhere. While I'd love Zajac, the price for him will be extremely high and I'm more keen on letting Ennis and Hodgson have the minutes instead, although imagining the three of them in a lineup of three scoring lines is a great idea. Zajac's return to the Devil lineup and his performance in the playoffs proved he is too valuable and that the Devils will only move him for a very good return. That will be too steep for us to pay. Plus, now that the Devils have Zajac back from injury, they'll be able to likely move Elias back to LW and keep Zubrus on RW. They weren't able to do that with Zajac injured last year.

I still say signing Arnott would be a decent solution. But really, he's probably holding out for a contender (Vancouver was rumored) so I doubt Buffalo is high on his list of places to go at this point. I mean, he did pick St. Louis last year and once the lockout lifts, he'll be running low on options, but I don't see him picking Buffalo at this point in his career.
Agree with everything up to Arnott. (He's as bad defensively as Ennis, if not worse).
Laich for Sekera has legs, especially if we assume the bonus development time from the lockout really lets McNabb polish his game so he's ready to play decent minutes for Buffalo
Malhotra (+ from either side as necessary) for Adam is also something I'd do.
Zajac definitely seems like overkill in terms of what we really need, which is just a solid vet stopgap to take the difficult defensive minutes while Ennis/Hodgson/other prospects solidify their roles in the top 6 and round out their games.

Old
10-09-2012, 11:27 PM

Giving up Adam for a deal with the main piece Malholtra is terrible

1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 03:56 AM
markisonfire

Sound like Jarret Stoll is your guy, even though he really isn't available. Offers?

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 04:14 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Grabovski might be available if the price is right. I doubt it though.

10-10-2012, 04:57 AM
Whydidijoin*

Someone like Derek Roy sounds perfec... oh wait.

Whydidijoin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 08:15 AM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

I think Belanger can be had out of Edmonton, +55% in the circle and has good PK and defensive skills, The only problem is that his offensive numbers took a nose dive when he joined the Oilers.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 09:03 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramdizzl View Post
I'd rather do Sekera for Laich almost straight up.
That leaves the Caps with too many holes. Laich simply wears too many hats for Washington to trade him without receiving a forward who can fill some of his roles back.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 09:28 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
I think Belanger can be had out of Edmonton, +55% in the circle and has good PK and defensive skills, The only problem is that his offensive numbers took a nose dive when he joined the Oilers.
From a Buffalo perspective, he would definitely be a guy to target in trade.

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 11:30 AM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
That leaves the Caps with too many holes. Laich simply wears too many hats for Washington to trade him without receiving a forward who can fill some of his roles back.
Let me preface this by saying I am a well-known Laich detractor so I might be biased in my evaluation, but I'd much rather have a guy who has a defined role and plays it well than one guy who can be a serviceable player at a number of spots in the lineup. This deal would not only net the Caps a solid partner for Green, but they'd also save $1.75M against the cap. It would also make Schultz and his $2.75M cap hit more expendable, although that is probably just a pipe dream.

In essence, the Caps could net a really good partner for Green and free up $4.5M to put towards a true 2LW.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 11:36 AM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
Let me preface this by saying I am a well-known Laich detractor so I might be biased in my evaluation, but I'd much rather have a guy who has a defined role and plays it well than one guy who can be a serviceable player at a number of spots in the lineup. This deal would not only net the Caps a solid partner for Green, but they'd also save $1.75M against the cap. It would also make Schultz and his $2.75M cap hit more expendable, although that is probably just a pipe dream.

In essence, the Caps could net a really good partner for Green and free up $4.5M to put towards a true 2LW.
Yeah I think people also forget about Sekera's contract. He is such a great defender and knows his role on the team. Of course no one knows what he's like in the locker room, bur he seems like he would make a solid assistant captain based on his on-ice performance.

From a Sabres P.O.V - I would prefer if Sekera stayed on this team for a while but Laich is a great player as well.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 11:54 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post

While Laich is merely "servicable" as a 2C or even-strength top six winger, he is far above that level in other roles (3C, powerplay contributer, etc). When the team is healthy, it's entirely possible that Laich can have a defined role and play it very well. And if we trade Laich, suddenly an injured Caps team finds guys like Chimera and Perreault anchoring top six spots again and Jay Beagle or Matt Hendricks centering the 3rd line.

Regardless of whether or not you'd prefer players with defined roles to Laich, what we have is Laich filling those important roles (2LW/3C, powerplay, PK, etc). We're not against the Cap nor are there quality free agents just waiting around to be signed with the money saved. The choice isn't between Laich + mystery player for Sekera, it's between Laich and Sekera.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 02:59 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Sekera for Laich just re-opens a hole on the blueline for Buffalo. McNabb's development doesn't even factor into it, he just doesn't have the footspeed and decision making to play shutdown minutes at this stage in the game, and probably for his career.

Laich's another one of those guys I woulnd't mind, but if the starting point is Rej, it's just not gonna happen.

As for the snark about Roy, he's an average-at-best ES defensive forward (the two way part of his game is mostly killing penalties), isn't great at puck possession, and is physically underwhelming. And he gets ridiculously overplayed by Lindy over more deserving players.

struckbyaparkedcar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 03:01 PM
Ho Borvat

Maybe something centered around Malhotra and Kaleta?

Kaleta and Lapierre on a 4th line would drive teams nuts.

Ho Borvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 03:29 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
While Laich is merely "servicable" as a 2C or even-strength top six winger, he is far above that level in other roles (3C, powerplay contributer, etc). When the team is healthy, it's entirely possible that Laich can have a defined role and play it very well. And if we trade Laich, suddenly an injured Caps team finds guys like Chimera and Perreault anchoring top six spots again and Jay Beagle or Matt Hendricks centering the 3rd line.

Regardless of whether or not you'd prefer players with defined roles to Laich, what we have is Laich filling those important roles (2LW/3C, powerplay, PK, etc). We're not against the Cap nor are there quality free agents just waiting around to be signed with the money saved. The choice isn't between Laich + mystery player for Sekera, it's between Laich and Sekera.
If the Caps felt he was a servicable 2C, they wouldn't have had to get Ribiero. If they want to put him at 3C, he is tremendously overpaid. If they want to put him a 2LW, production on that line, especially at ES, will suffer.

Chimera, with lesser linemates for the most part, has scored 25 ES goals the last 2 years to Laich's 21. I feel that he could replace Laich on the PP and put up similar numbers, all for nearly $3M less each year.

Let's continue playing the "What If" game. What if Alzner gets hurt next year? I'd much rather the Caps have Perreault or Chimera filling in for Laich in the top 6 than having Schultz or Hamrlik at 1LD.

Sorry for the OT. The topic of Brooks Laich always gets me going.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 03:31 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post

Kaleta's a local boy, and he just re-signed. He also played a career high average minutes per game last year and has become, beyond just a pest, a pretty reliable defensive forward. Doubt Buffalo's interested in moving him right now.

Old
10-10-2012, 04:56 PM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post

If the sabres are looking for a center who can log PK minutes and tough defensive minutes in this proposal then trading a guy who is arguably our 2nd best PKer and defensive forward(likely behind Poms and maybe Gerbe, have yet to see Ott) is a lateral move at the very best.

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 05:00 PM
DJN21

I had said in the past Id take a great risk on Manny Malholtra, I think he can rebound and even if he isnt his old self, frankly hes better than anything we currently have so its hard to complain...

That being said even though there isnt a hugely pressing need for D in Vancouver I still think Leopold is a great match. He's a dman that constantly puts up big offensive numbers. buffalo also doesnt "need" him, would he help on any team looking to contend? sure but the top 4 mins are going to RR, Myers, Erhoff, Sekera as is, and Sulzer, Weber, McNabb, Prysk, and Brennan and Pardy can likely handle the bottom 6...

Leopold for Manny and a fringe prospect like Mallet, adding here or there as needed...

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 05:07 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 900
Malhotra for a 2nd. Take it and go. Although we'd still have to wait and see how Schroeder does before pulling the trigger.

Vankiller Whale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 11:08 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Probably a bit of a longshot considering his partial NTC but Matt Cullen on the Wild is relatively expendable at this point with the arrival of Granlund and a few other of our young prospects.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 11:26 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Probably a bit of a longshot considering his partial NTC but Matt Cullen on the Wild is relatively expendable at this point with the arrival of Granlund and a few other of our young prospects.
I believe Regier was interested in Cullen when he signed in Minnesota, FWIW.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 11:46 PM
is the answer jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Seeing as how he has the NTC I don't see Cullen wanting to come to Buffalo. I'd be interested in Brodziak though. Any way he's become expendable? If so what would Minnesota be looking for?

is the answer jesus is online now   Reply With Quote