Closed Thread

Old
10-08-2012, 07:05 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saw Is the Law View Post
What has been Knights line combinations?
Throw all the names in a hat...toss 'em up against the wall..and see what sticks. Same as every year.

London has no set line combos...anyone in the top 12 will skate with anyone else at any given time. It would take a day to go through every line combination that Dale has used...and we're only 6 games in.

Old
10-08-2012, 08:16 AM
JL17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
Anyone else thinking Houser rehabs his knee and comes back in a month? He's still on the Knights protected list. Baille is finding early success, but I dont think he is a good fundamental goalie...and he is certainly no Houser.
Houser will be with the Panthers organization until he's 100% healed. I don't believe teams are allowed to release players back to junior or AHL until everything is cleared by doctors... Look at Taylor Hall... had to be cleared by Edmonton doctors to be sent to Oklahoma last week.

I've heard good things from him at the San Antonio camp so I'm sure he put his name in the discussion for sticking around. He may get sent to the ECHL to get a game or two in after rehab then back up to SA to see a game or two then they'll make the decision to see where he'd be better suited.

Funny how Houser isn't injuried in his time with London but as soon as he leaves he's got a significant injury.

Old
10-08-2012, 10:13 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrister39 View Post
When I was watching the livestream last night, they showed replay and the linesman had the whistle in his mouth pointing at the blueline meaning he was intending to call an offside. I guess the whistle wasn't heard, not surprising as that rink is always incredibly loud. And Harper was offside by a mile.
All I needed to see and cements my point that the linesman intended to blow it down. No conspiracy...no tainted calls...cut and dry offside. I don't a rat's a** how many seconds elapsed before it was eventually called and whistled down. It was the proper call. Not the 1st time a goal has been disallowed on an offside play..won't be the last.

Old
10-08-2012, 10:23 AM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrister39 View Post
Like I said in the post above yours, it was quite clear on the replay that the linesman was making the offside call.

I saw one Windsor poster saying that London gets away with stuff. When you get outshot 2:1 and are constantly in your own end chasing the opponent, you're probably going to get more penalties. The powerplay differential was 5 to 3 in that game and from watching London dominate from start to finish, Windsor was fortunate to not have more calls against them.

Last week the majority of London fans wanted the refs' heads after the Guelph game and now Erie fans feel cheated last night. Guess what, the refs are too incompetent to have an 'in' for any team. I can list several examples over the years where fans may think London got the short end of the stick as I could for any team in the OHL. Fans get too emotionally attached and it clouds their ability to be unbiased.
Well said.
Every teams fan base thinks they get the short end of the calls from refs/ league disciplinary committee.
Some Windsor fans wanted a team that intimidates. To do that u oft end up taking penalties.

Old
10-09-2012, 10:39 AM
Ottomatic

Sad day for London fans today - Pete's fired Dave Reid.

Old
10-09-2012, 11:17 AM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Sad day for London fans today - Pete's fired Dave Reid.
Unfortunately Rychel couldn't take advantage . Is that the real issue

They should be fewer and farther between the sad days the Spits fans have, for at least the next couple years wink wink

Old
10-09-2012, 12:03 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Funny how Houser isn't injuried in his time with London but as soon as he leaves he's got a significant injury.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, he seemed to be the model of fitness with his cold baths and all. With the log jam ahead of him with goalies with more pedigree than him, I don't see him sticking in the A or being sent to the E. Florida would be best to give him a bunch of games and that is found in London, not to mention a boat load more experience which is never a bad thing. You have to remember, us goalies are a bit nuts and success from league to league is sketchy (see Adam Dennis).
If Houser does come back, what do you do? Trade Ferry and have two overage goalies? Trade Baille?

Old
10-09-2012, 03:41 PM
aresknights

I'd move Baille ( and maybe Ferry if in go for it mode)
You gotta give one of the you g goalies a few games, don't ya?
Not sure what the market would be for Baille thou, but ya can't say no IF Houser Isoffered up.

Old
10-09-2012, 03:55 PM
KnightsInsider93

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
I'd move Baille ( and maybe Ferry if in go for it mode)
You gotta give one of the you g goalies a few games, don't ya?
Not sure what the market would be for Baille thou, but ya can't say no IF Houser Isoffered up.
Unless Bailie is awful performance wise, he will not be moved! Bill Dark doesn't just go out and tell Mark to get any goalie in the league. Kevin Bailie is a good tender! He's a former first round pick. Picked ahead of players like Cam Fowler and Jeff Skinner, John Carlson and Mark Visentin.

I don't know why everyone wants this guy gone. He's not going anywhere. Dale believes in having great competition at every position. Including in net. Without Bailie, that doesn't happen.

Give the guy a break. He's played well so far. The ONLY mistake Mark Hunter has made in recent years when acquiring a goalie was Trevor Cann.

Old
10-09-2012, 05:15 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightsInsider93 View Post
Unless Bailie is awful performance wise, he will not be moved! Bill Dark doesn't just go out and tell Mark to get any goalie in the league. Kevin Bailie is a good tender! He's a former first round pick. Picked ahead of players like Cam Fowler and Jeff Skinner, John Carlson and Mark Visentin.

I don't know why everyone wants this guy gone. He's not going anywhere. Dale believes in having great competition at every position. Including in net. Without Bailie, that doesn't happen.

Give the guy a break. He's played well so far. The ONLY mistake Mark Hunter has made in recent years when acquiring a goalie was Trevor Cann.
The question wasn't who would you move now..the question was who would you move if Houser was returned. Sorry to tell you..but Bailie would be the odd man out...and I'm one of the people in his camp of support.

Old
10-09-2012, 05:21 PM
KnightsInsider93

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
The question wasn't who would you move now..the question was who would you move if Houser was returned. Sorry to tell you..but Bailie would be the odd man out...and I'm one of the people in his camp of support.
Still. People are being way to hard on Bailie! It's rediculous. I know we are used to watching Michael Houser who has been a top goalie for a couple years now. Kevin Bailie can't quite fill those shoes completely, only a handful of people could! He's still a great goalie and people are being harsh on him.

Only problem i've seen with him is his rebounds. BUT There hasn't been a Knight goalie who hasn't had rebound problems. People should be happy with Bailie. I don't care if Houser comes back or not. Kevin Bailie is still a very solid and sound goalie.

Old
10-09-2012, 05:33 PM
KnightsInsider93

But yes. If Houser Came back:

I'm going to go against the norm here. Jake Patterson would be the one moved.

Reasoning:

Kevin Bailie: Leader, Experience, Tall
Jake Patterson: Extremely Quiet! Problems with Injuries, Doesn't hang out with players. As soon as it seems he is ready to play, he comes down with a mysterious injury. Teammates hardly knew he was injured. Kind of does his own thing.

Jake Patterson also has WAY more value if traded.

Dealing Patterson would not hurt us in the future as much as people think. Next year 1st round pick Liam Herbst comes in.

We have 6 OA's slated for next year (Raine, Harrington, Restoule, Broadhurst, Nevins, Griffith) We are going to have to deal at least 1 person. (Assuming Harrington, Broadhurst and Griffith make their AHL clubs) Trade one of those OA's for a back up goalie with more experience, all of a sudden your 1 2 is Herbst and your acquisition.

Dealing Patterson would get us more value in return and not hurt us as bad as people think in the future.

Old
10-09-2012, 06:52 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
But yes. If Houser Came back:

I'm going to go against the norm here. Jake Patterson would be the one moved.

Reasoning:

Kevin Bailie: Leader, Experience, Tall
Jake Patterson: Extremely Quiet! Problems with Injuries, Doesn't hang out with players. As soon as it seems he is ready to play, he comes down with a mysterious injury. Teammates hardly knew he was injured. Kind of does his own thing.

Jake Patterson also has WAY more value if traded.

Dealing Patterson would not hurt us in the future as much as people think. Next year 1st round pick Liam Herbst comes in.

We have 6 OA's slated for next year (Raine, Harrington, Restoule, Broadhurst, Nevins, Griffith) We are going to have to deal at least 1 person. (Assuming Harrington, Broadhurst and Griffith make their AHL clubs) Trade one of those OA's for a back up goalie with more experience, all of a sudden your 1 2 is Herbst and your acquisition.

Dealing Patterson would get us more value in return and not hurt us as bad as people think in the future.
Nice reasoning..but you don't run with 2 OA goaltenders...ever. Bailie would be the odd man out...sorry. Patterson will push Bailie for #1 when healthy..then there's Herbst waiting in the wings mending up. I like Bailie...his style drives me nuts sometimes..but as an ex-goaltender and a goalie coach I know it's a style and you can't change a goalie's comfort level. If(and that's a big if) Houser does come back...your duo is Houser/Patterson.

Old
10-09-2012, 08:50 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

I agree Phlyer. As a former goalie and goalie coach his style is not one I like. His rebounds, lateral movement and puck control should be better for a kid in the league for that long.
Insider, regarding where he was drafted means nothing. There are lots of stories of 1st round flops and late round studs. He was 'projected' to be good and thats all a draft is. (see Josh Andersons story). Last year if I asked who the top 10 goalies are, no way Baille cracks it. Even this year I'd rather have either Kitchener goalie, Binnington, Anderson, Sparkes, Dansk...the list goes on.
But yes, my original point was if Houser comes back, there is no way Baille is the #1 no mqtter how well he plays. Like to keep him to push Houser but as Phlyer stated, ya dont run with 2 OA's in net.

Old
10-10-2012, 08:30 AM
aresknights

Quote:

I have been pleased with Baille so far and havent ripped him at all. If ya get the OHL player of the year back, he plays. and as pointed out, you dont carry 2 OA goalies. They gotta get a look at Patterson and/or Herbst moving forward as well.

The Cann comment. He wasnt bad the first half of the year, got a concussion (in Jan I believe?) and never returned to form. He was prone to concentration problems (unfortunately for us it often flared up in OT ) I wasnt impressed with his PO performance but I can definitely understand the issues.

Old
10-10-2012, 08:38 AM
KnightsInsider93

I was just providing you with the alternate situation. That's all.

Old
10-10-2012, 09:00 AM
aresknights

Gotcha. No worries here. You always gotta look at both sides. Its one of the good things about these boards.

its a non issue anyway. Im not counting on Houser being back. Baille and Patterson should be fine. And maybe Herbst can work his way into the equation this year. There will be more competition for minutes at G this year than last. Because there is no Houser.

And you were right , we have been spoiled in net but not only with Houser.
Gene, Houle, Coleman-MacD combo, Dennis, Mason, Houser et al weve had a good run in goal for a good stretch.

Old
10-10-2012, 09:10 AM
tourlord*

Watched Bailie all year in Oshawa last year. He's terrible. Never should have been a first round pick.

Old
10-10-2012, 09:17 AM
aresknights

Hes been good so far this year. Hopefully the change of scenery is all he needed.

Old
10-10-2012, 11:59 AM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourlord View Post
Watched Bailie all year in Oshawa last year. He's terrible. Never should have been a first round pick.
Thank you....somebody that has watched him for a while other than Knights fans for a few games that have a 'homer' attitude and want him to do well. Wishing for a good goalie and having a good goalie are two different things.
Go ahead and mark it down, we will have a different goalie by January not named Baille. (and save me the story about the kid who stole the memorial cup last year in his overage year.) I too wish that when we acquired Baille he was going to be a suitable replacement.
Please understand, that I am not basing this on his win/loss record right now (otherwise I would be a fan), and am not unhappy with him because he is not named Houser. I do not think his style is good enough to carry a championship team. His rebounds are horrible. (watch the tape and tell me I am wrong). How do you improve that drastically in your final year? You dont. He is slow and at times out of position. I'd be much happier if he was 17 and was a project. He is an overage goalie supposed to lead us all the way. Not good enough.
Also please remember, we have arguably the best defencive corps in the OHL. Teichmann (former 1st round pick for all of you who love to promote that) could probably be doing what Baille is up to this point.

Old
10-10-2012, 12:38 PM
Ward Cornell

I never knew that the Knights 8th rounder from 2011 cleared waivers and is practicing with the QC Remparts.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1249519&page=4
see post #90
http://thescout.ca/index.php?option=...iles&Itemid=34

Old
10-10-2012, 06:47 PM
KnightsInsider93

The Knights got the best Goalie they could. Goalie market was non existent during the offseason, and not much better right now. Bailie is our guy. Believe in Bill Dark.

Old
10-10-2012, 08:03 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
The Knights got the best Goalie they could. .
Key point. I can endure Bailie...he's stopping the puck and doing what it takes to give us a chance to win every night...can't ask for much more. Is he a championship caliber goaltender? No I don't think he is...but if this lineup gets clicking and gelling on a consistent basis...he may just have to be good...not great... for us to succeed. Houser stole us games last year while we found our niche and identity..can Bailie do that?..I think that's the question most people can't answer right now.

Old
10-10-2012, 08:13 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
I never knew that the Knights 8th rounder from 2011 cleared waivers and is practicing with the QC Remparts.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1249519&page=4
see post #90
http://thescout.ca/index.php?option=...iles&Itemid=34
He didn't clear waivers, he's on a 48h tryout. If they want to add him, he'll have to go through OHL and QMJHL waivers...

Old
10-11-2012, 07:09 AM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
The Knights got the best Goalie they could. Goalie market was non existent during the offseason, and not much better right now. Bailie is our guy. Believe in Bill Dark.
I agree with everything you said, except let me put a caveat on one part...Bailie is our guy...for now.
Bill Dark used to be my goalie coach many moons ago. He is very good.

Closed Thread