HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Rich Hammond Leaving Kings

Old
10-10-2012, 10:34 AM
RAZZIE King
König von Schaben

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
The first few times the Kings put him in front of a live camera were some of the most uncomfortable moments in my personal TV watching history. I was expecting bolts to emerge from his neck.
For a while I thought there was an open audition for The Munsters going on during the broadcast...

I think I know the person who told Hammond to change his profile pic on his site because "it was scaring my cats"...

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 10:49 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Bobby Zad Scribe made an excellent point that "The Mayor" would be a perfect replacement.
I agree

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 11:16 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Is it permanent or just temporary during the lockout like the players?

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 11:36 AM
KingsKnight
Reclaimed the Crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Is it permanent or just temporary during the lockout like the players?
Sounds permanent...
http://lakingsinsider.com/2012/10/10...and-thank-you/

KingsKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 11:43 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsKnight View Post
Yeah, that definitely confirms it. Unexpected, but Rich was never really attached to the game or organization. Obviously, to us, he is giving up like the greatest job on the planet, but if you don't love the Kings or hockey, traveling all over the place for most of the year, with the team, and constantly writing and interviewing, has got to be a lot of work.

Old
10-10-2012, 12:03 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

I can see where that would be a tough job for a journalist.

Old
10-10-2012, 12:07 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Job gets stagnant after a while, I would assume. He got a great job covering football, which he will have more readers and content.

I hope the process of finding a replacement is better than what the Daily News did...which resulted in the blog turning into a ghost town.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 12:10 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Well, you have to consider that USC is Rich's Alma mater. The man is going from something he didn't care about to something he is likely passionate about. He also had to fly around the country like 40 times a year and never had time to do anything, and now he will be based more permanently in LA with far fewer road trips and traveling. Can't blame him, it was almost inevitable.

Old
10-10-2012, 01:25 PM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

Now USC fans have a go-to source for absolutely no rumors or gossip.

Stupid Sexy Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 01:38 PM
Shootmaster_44

Being that I am an out of towner, Rich was my go to guy about Kings news. I don't use Twitter really, so late breaking news from one of the other writers was never something I caught. Also, not having the Daily News or LA Times as a newspaper to be able to read hindered that as well. So this disappoints me that he is leaving.

I certainly hope that he is replaced soon. I wonder if this was a cost saving measure by the Kings though? Since there isn't tons of Kings news while there is a lockout, an official blogger has less to do.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 01:42 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootmaster_44 View Post
Being that I am an out of towner, Rich was my go to guy about Kings news. I don't use Twitter really, so late breaking news from one of the other writers was never something I caught. Also, not having the Daily News or LA Times as a newspaper to be able to read hindered that as well. So this disappoints me that he is leaving.

I certainly hope that he is replaced soon. I wonder if this was a cost saving measure by the Kings though? Since there isn't tons of Kings news while there is a lockout, an official blogger has less to do.
I don't know if Rich is even being paid during the lockout. Both Rich and the Kings were quick to say it wasn't. It is more Rich wanting to do something else more than anything. I am sure he will be replaced immediately once the NHL returns. Until then, there is no point since the NHL practically doesn't exist right now.

Old
10-10-2012, 01:59 PM
Johnny Utah

I loved Hammond especially before he signed on with the Kings. I think Mayor's Manor has taken over the role just as well now but I think they need to make the site more newsworthy so when you click on it all the latest Kings news pops up. That's why I followed Hammond so closely, because if there was a trade or injury it would always be on the front page of his site.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 02:05 PM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

vCash: 2400
After sifting through the massive amounts of rumors from twitter and what not, it was always nice to read Rich's blog to get the straight scoop, even if it was a few hours after the fact.

Wildturkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 02:09 PM
sweatypickle

The thing is when Rich started the blog, it offered an incredible insight, previously which you would have never had. Today, I can watch videos, verbatim of what Rich reports, often hours or days before him. Exclusive content was few and far between.

At least with the Mayor its a different perspective that you can't get elsewhere. Kingsvision essentially made the kingsinsider obsolete.

sweatypickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 02:15 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Sexy Flanders View Post
Now USC fans have a go-to source for absolutely no rumors or gossip.
You hit the bolt on the head.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 02:43 PM
Tadite

This is a real loss. It's not so much about "breaking rumors!" it's about consistent professional well written reporting.

The "RUMORS!" junkies may not have liked it but I certainly did. Reporting is about getting the facts correct day in day out with little popular realization as to just how hard it is to do that type of job.

Real reporters are a dying breed and the amateur bloggers (mayor et al or god help us DB) are not a replacement. They're to fan boyish with little long-term perspective and somehow think that ranting, raving, and acting like their on a cable new channel is how to be a reporter. Hammond understood the importance of being a verified source and worked to make sure when he reported something it was real. Amateur bloggers don't care if it's blatantly stupidly wrong. They're just trolling for clicks (more crazy means more money) and hide behind sources or "it's just rumors" as an excuse for being wrong.

This is a sad day for Kings fans. We've lost our only real consistent hockey reporter.

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 02:55 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
You hit the bolt on the head.
Nicely played!

Old
10-10-2012, 04:15 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Rich is an awkward guy, I remember watching post-game interviews and you could see him in the background, wouldn't ever want to look at the camera and was just being weird. His role with the Kings sucked, I barely ever went to his website once he left the Daily News. I'm sure he'll do fine covering USC

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 04:23 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quisp would be an excellent replacement.

Probably would bring a little more passion to the blog and it would be certainly more homerish. Not a bad thing.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 04:29 PM
Johnny Utah

I just started following Mayors Manor recently and I have to admit the dude does a good job of asking the tough questions. He asks players and coaches about awkward and tough situations. I like that. Asking Morris if Kaunisto was a distraction, if Kozun is cocky, asking Muzzin if he thinks he belongs in the NHL. I dig this line of questioning. Hammond used to ask those questions to Lombardi...way back when.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 04:40 PM
Axl Rhoadz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post
This is a real loss.

This is a sad day for Kings fans.

I've had sadder days as a Kings fan.....MUCH sadder. You're taking this a little too hard, dude.

Axl Rhoadz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 04:45 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
Quisp would be an excellent replacement.

Probably would bring a little more passion to the blog and it would be certainly more homerish. Not a bad thing.
Quisp's work is too intelligent for that blog. They want someone to pass info along, not analyze it.

I also don't think he would tow the company line

Old
10-10-2012, 05:17 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Sorry Tadite, but I don't believe you've read Mayor's Manor if you think he's some blogging fanboy trying to get hits. He has some real deep and quality interviews.

Perhaps you're thinking of Surly & Scribe? They are more about pure entertainment.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 06:05 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

They should hire Kurrillino as Hammond's replacement. Speaking of him, where the hell has he been?

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 06:15 PM
Mattias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
They should hire Kurrillino as Hammond's replacement. Speaking of him, where the hell has he been?
I've wondered that too. I think he disappeared after the Stoll goal vs. Vancouver

Mattias is offline   Reply With Quote