HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Earthquake!!!

Old
10-10-2012, 02:46 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 167
It felt and sounded like a really heavily loaded tractor trailer was about to slam into the side of my house.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 03:57 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

vCash: 500
Sucks for you guys.

Here, in Ontario we felt nothing. Though, we had our earthquake last year.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 04:14 PM
DumFries

I don't see why people are startled by this minor earthquake. Montreal witnesses earthquakes between 3.5-5 almost every 5 years or so and lesser ones each day, 99% of them are never felt.

The Valley of the St-Lawrence river lies between two mountains chains: the Laurentians and the Appalachians which were formed years ago by volcanoes and tectonic plate convection and movements. Many ancient fault lines are too be found along the river reminiscent once of the different plates which were colliding once and producing heat. This heat melted rocks and created mountains which in form erupted, releasing magma and forming the igneous rocks of the Canadian Shield (Northern Quebec and the Laurentians mountains). These inactive fault lines can become active sometimes triggering minor tremors like the one we witnessed today after midnight. The Charlevoix region in Quebec, for example, can see earthquakes of up to 7.

The soil in the Valley was also compacted by years of glacial erosion. The land tends to lift which also causes minor tremors. Mont-Royal for example, is a volcanic intrusion caused by the uplift motion of the soil.

Montreal and the St-Lawrence Valley is the second most active seismic zone in Canada after BC. Tall Buildings in Montreal are designed to withstand earthquakes of 6-7 magnitude.

DumFries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 04:23 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumFries View Post
I don't see why people are startled by this minor earthquake. Montreal witnesses earthquakes between 3.5-5 almost every 5 years or so and lesser ones each day, 99% of them are never felt.

The Valley of the St-Lawrence river lies between two mountains chains: the Laurentians and the Appalachians which were formed years ago by volcanoes and tectonic plate convection and movements. Many ancient fault lines are too be found along the river reminiscent once of the different plates which were colliding once and producing heat. This heat melted rocks and created mountains which in form erupted, releasing magma and forming the igneous rocks of the Canadian Shield (Northern Quebec and the Laurentians mountains). These inactive fault lines can become active sometimes triggering minor tremors like the one we witnessed today after midnight. The Charlevoix region in Quebec, for example, can see earthquakes of up to 7.

The soil in the Valley was also compacted by years of glacial erosion. The land tends to lift which also causes minor tremors. Mont-Royal for example, is a volcanic intrusion caused by the uplift motion of the soil.

Montreal and the St-Lawrence Valley is the second most active seismic zone in Canada after BC. Tall Buildings in Montreal are designed to withstand earthquakes of 6-7 magnitude.
You're either a geologist, or whatever.
A nerd
Or you have one of those cards that tells you the history of a certain region.

It could have been caused by an under water volcano, but not likely.

Old
10-10-2012, 04:33 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
Quote:

I was under the impression that most Quebec earthquakes were the result of isostatic (or post-glacial) rebound.

And I don't think that Charlevoix has ever experienced a 7.0 magnitude earthquake. Especially not in recent memory - you'd probably have to go back hundreds of years. If they did, almost the whole province would feel it and that area would be close to devastated.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 04:34 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:

Last night earthquake was felt by 95% of the people I know living in Montreal. It even woke a couple of my friends. So not really a minor earthquake that 99% did not felt. It was actually the strongest one Ive ever felt in almost 30 years living Montreal. My house was literally shaking.

Rosso Scuderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 04:39 PM
catmanhabsfan

Actually im not sure if anyone form my area has mentioned it or not (havent read the whole thread) but we actually felt it in the NCR (Ottawa and Gatineau) where I live so it must have been a decent earthquake woke up some people I know although I must have slept right through it

catmanhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 04:39 PM

Can someone provide me with a scientific explanation for why I didn't feel it? I'm scared.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 04:41 PM
DumFries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
You're either a geologist, or whatever.
A nerd
Or you have one of those cards that tells you the history of a certain region.

It could have been caused by an under water volcano, but not likely.
I'm a geotechnical engineer actually. Not a nerd.

Old
10-10-2012, 04:45 PM
DumFries

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
I was under the impression that most Quebec earthquakes were the result of isostatic (or post-glacial) rebound.

And I don't think that Charlevoix has ever experienced a 7.0 magnitude earthquake. Especially not in recent memory - you'd probably have to go back hundreds of years. If they did, almost the whole province would feel it and that area would be close to devastated.
There was 6 in Saguenay in 1988 and yes all the province felt it. Like I stated, earthquakes in the St-Lawrence Valley are caused by glacier rebound.

Historic Earthquakes

St. Lawrence Valley region, Quebec, Canada
1663 02 05 22:30 UTC
Magnitude 7.0

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak...1663_02_05.php

Old
10-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Habitants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Williams View Post
It felt and sounded like a really heavily loaded tractor trailer slammed into the side of my house.
lol yup that exactly what i described it as!

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 04:58 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Can someone provide me with a scientific explanation for why I didn't feel it? I'm scared.
'Cause you, like me, took a multi.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 05:04 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:

slight need of humor dude.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 05:04 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
Quote:
There was 6 in Saguenay in 1988 and yes all the province felt it. Like I stated, earthquakes in the St-Lawrence Valley are caused by glacier rebound.

Historic Earthquakes

St. Lawrence Valley region, Quebec, Canada
1663 02 05 22:30 UTC
Magnitude 7.0

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak...1663_02_05.php
OK cool. I remember the 1988 one because I was living in Quebec city. That was the biggest one I've ever felt. I believe it was felt all the way in NYC.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 05:35 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

After living in Japan for so long, I find it weird how long I've gone without feeling one since I've been back.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 06:21 PM
Padrino86

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post

They did in 1663.

Padrino86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 06:44 PM
Maverik

Quote:
That definition translate to nerd I believe

But I'm an accountant, so who am I to say anything lol

Maverik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 07:20 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik View Post
That definition translate to nerd I believe

But I'm an accountant, so who am I to say anything lol
If everybody was to call others nerds, then we would all be nerds.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 08:30 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
If everybody was to call others nerds, then we would all be nerds.
Not me.

I can't even read a picture book.

My intelligence is inferior to everyone else's, thus I'm jealous and call people nerds.

Now I'll have to leave this forum.

Old
10-11-2012, 12:52 AM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Quote:

A magnitude 7 or even 6 earthquake would instantly kill hundreds if not thousands of people i.e in Haiti the earthquake was 6.5. Of course we would faire better since our buildings are well built.

In fact the last major earthquake in Quebec was in 1988 and was 5.0 so this 4.5 quake is still noticeable... Especially for someone like me who lives in a basement and that power got cut out when the quake happened,

Alexdaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 09:14 PM
DumFries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
A magnitude 7 or even 6 earthquake would instantly kill hundreds if not thousands of people i.e in Haiti the earthquake was 6.5. Of course we would faire better since our buildings are well built.

In fact the last major earthquake in Quebec was in 1988 and was 5.0 so this 4.5 quake is still noticeable... Especially for someone like me who lives in a basement and that power got cut out when the quake happened,
The one in 88 hit Saguenay with 6.0 magnitude or 5.9. Our buildings are made to withstand 6.0 earthquakes. You can't compare Haiti with us when their buildings were made out of mud. Also, the type of soil plays a major role on how the waves are propagated and how damage can happen.

Old
10-12-2012, 08:41 AM
PhysicX

vCash: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
A magnitude 7 or even 6 earthquake would instantly kill hundreds if not thousands of people i.e in Haiti
So wrong.

PhysicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 10:44 PM
CP31

Byfuglien was visiting and he fell down

CP31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 03:07 AM
PyrettaBlaze*

ANOTHER ONE!??! What the **** is going on.

PyrettaBlaze* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 03:08 AM
Padrino86

I was just about to ask... that one was smaller though... I guess I'm not crazy ! It didn't wake up my family this time so It's safe to say it was relatively weak .

Padrino86 is offline   Reply With Quote