HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Vancouver - Edmonton

Old
10-11-2012, 01:48 AM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
Musil and Marincin are no more than magic beans at the moment.

Klefbom, as good as he has been in the SEL this season (and he has my complete attention because he's been so good this year), still has a lot to prove. Klefbom has a very good chance of being the better Dman (as compared to Tanev) in the future, but on opening day next year, that's putting a lot of expectations on a young guy.

A young guy coming over to play in the best league in the world on small ice. That's a recipe for short term disappointment.
He had no problem at the WJC last year, in fact he excelled on the small ice surface.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 02:40 AM
Intense Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
I can see why Edmonton may not want to do this, but the Tanev and Raymond hate in this thread is ridiculous. How do you figure that Tanev is able to crack one of the deepest blue lines in the league in Vancouver but "he probably wouldnt even crack the Oilers roster."
Because his competition were Andrew Alberts and Aaron Rome?

Intense Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 03:13 AM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
http://oilersnation.com/2012/10/8/nelson-on-okc

According to head coach Nelson, Pitlick, Josh Green and Hartikainen will be the second line.
That sounds like an interview that was done some time ago as at least by my eye skimming through he didn't even mention Martindale who won a spot out of camp. Also last that I heard Marincin would be good to go come the season opener.

10-11-2012, 03:48 AM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
Good trade for both teams, I'd do it.

Man I REALLY hate the nickname "PRV". Every time I see it I cringe.
It drives me ****ing crazy. It's terrible, truly. Then I realize its just the kids running wild with it and I'm like, okay, they can have this one for a minute...

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 01:51 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
very strong top 4

but beating out Ballard who gets scratched more then a lottery ticket is not the hardest thing.

Not saying Tanev is bad by any stretch. But Smid is still a better defensemen then Tanev and Petry has also proven more
it's hard not to ignore any comments such posters have about the Canucks, because it shows they haven't followed the team in a long time.

You do realize that Ballard wasn't a healthy scratch for even ONE GAME last season, right? Of course you don't. You take the popular criticism that has no basis in reality but because it's a dig (and a completely unfounded one) on a Canucks player, you run with it as if it were fact. Then you base your opinions around this completely faulty logic. It'd be like me saying that Eberle doesn't know how to score goals. If anyone ever says such things about your Oilers players would you take anything else they have to say about the Oilers seriously? It's as easy to see that Eberle is a good scorer not only watching him play but just looking at the score sheet, as it is to know that Ballard is never a healthy scratch, just by watching the team play and looking at the game logs.

Again all this points out is that you don't know what you're talking about and haven't actually bothered to follow the team. So how can anyone take any comments you make about the team or its player seriously when you can't even get simple facts correct?

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 03:12 PM
Zarpan

I can see Tanev playing 10+ seasons in the NHL. His shot is quite weak and he doesn't take chances on offense, so I'm not sure how much upside there is, but his hockey sense is extremely good.

I do think there is a fair bit of room for improvement though since he is only 22, and has only played against strong competition for 2 years (having played Junior A and in a weaker college conference before).

Zarpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 05:38 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
That sounds like an interview that was done some time ago as at least by my eye skimming through he didn't even mention Martindale who won a spot out of camp. Also last that I heard Marincin would be good to go come the season opener.
They mention Davidson, so that must be recent, sounds like he hasn't been too bad. There's alway the chance Gregor has combine a number of interviews into one, won't surprise me.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 05:42 PM
CanuckLuck

Quote:
very strong top 4

but beating out Ballard who gets scratched more then a lottery ticket is not the hardest thing.

Not saying Tanev is bad by any stretch. But Smid is still a better defensemen then Tanev and Petry has also proven more
Get a clue man. Ballard wasn't scratched at all last year.

But I do agree, the Oilers have a lot of up and coming defensemen and Tanev would only slot around the 5-7 spot.

CanuckLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 08:01 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Rage View Post
Because his competition were Andrew Alberts and Aaron Rome?
We also had Edler, Hamhuis, Salo, Bieksa, and Ballard.

You've entirely missed the point: who do the Oilers have on their deep blue line that are good enough to push Tanev off the active roster?

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 08:03 PM
Animal

i can't believe mps hasn't evolved the way many of us expected. At the draft i thought this kid was can't-miss

Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 08:06 PM
CanuckLuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggs21 View Post
i can't believe mps hasn't evolved the way many of us expected. At the draft i thought this kid was can't-miss
Wasn't he expected to go top 5? Looked like a lot of teams passed on him and the Oilers were very surprised he was still available. Kind of reminds me of Grigorenko.

Old
10-11-2012, 08:10 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
it's hard not to ignore any comments such posters have about the Canucks, because it shows they haven't followed the team in a long time.

You do realize that Ballard wasn't a healthy scratch for even ONE GAME last season, right? Of course you don't. You take the popular criticism that has no basis in reality but because it's a dig (and a completely unfounded one) on a Canucks player, you run with it as if it were fact. Then you base your opinions around this completely faulty logic. It'd be like me saying that Eberle doesn't know how to score goals. If anyone ever says such things about your Oilers players would you take anything else they have to say about the Oilers seriously? It's as easy to see that Eberle is a good scorer not only watching him play but just looking at the score sheet, as it is to know that Ballard is never a healthy scratch, just by watching the team play and looking at the game logs.

Again all this points out is that you don't know what you're talking about and haven't actually bothered to follow the team. So how can anyone take any comments you make about the team or its player seriously when you can't even get simple facts correct?

Did I say last year

He was scratched 4 times in 2011 and got scratched 15 times in the playoffs. Which is 19 times in total

Typical Canucks response tho

Last edited by topchowda: 10-11-2012 at 08:18 PM.
topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 08:32 PM
victor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggs21 View Post
I think that it says more about the 2009 draft.

He was drafted 10th overall:
- is 11th in games played, with 121.
- 6th in goals, with 17.
- 10th in assists, with 25.
- 10th in points, with 42.
- 17th in penalty minutes, with 20.

He is only 21 years old, though. I'd wait for a few more years before speaking to how he has evolved. At the same age, Daniel Sedin's stat line looked like 79gp, 9g, 23a, 32 points. He wasn't "evolved" then, and I'd bet that MPS isn't yet.

victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 08:59 PM
CanuckLuck

Quote:
Did I say last year

He was scratched 4 times in 2011 and got scratched 15 times in the playoffs. Which is 19 times in total

Oh you're so clever. You made it sound like Ballard was still a consistent scratch. Pretty obvious you don't have a clue about Ballard.

Typical Canucks hater response tho

Old
10-11-2012, 09:02 PM
mriswith

Quote:
Did I say last year

Right, because how he played two years ago is far more important than how he played one year ago.

Ballard played well last year. But that doesn't matter because it doesn't suit your uninformed opinion. "Typical oilers response".

Quote:
I can see Tanev playing 10+ seasons in the NHL. His shot is quite weak and he doesn't take chances on offense, so I'm not sure how much upside there is, but his hockey sense is extremely good.
I see his upside as a Hamhuis-lite. Solid defense and potential to stabilize a more risk-taking player, but providing much less offense.

mriswith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 09:20 PM
tempest2i
Feral

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
He had no problem at the WJC last year, in fact he excelled on the small ice surface.
True.

There is however a huge difference between playing on small ice with 17 and 18 year olds and sharing the same ice with the Malkin's and Stamkos's of the world.

Temper your expectations Al. Klefbom is good but expecting him to step into the NHL and play as well as he has in the SEL for the last month is pretty unrealistic. So few rookie Dmen come into the NHL and immediately have "this guy is so good we're going to trust him with 20 mins a night" seasons.

Everything I typed above can be applied to younger Schultz too. Lots of talent? You bet. I'm still setting low expectations (be better than Potter).

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 09:28 PM
eklunds source

Tanev: Young and contributing to a repeat President's trophy winner.

Oilers: Bottom-5 defense in the league 3 years running.

"He wouldn't crack the squad! He hasn't proven himself! Musil and Klefbom are the nuts!"

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 09:43 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post

"He wouldn't crack the squad! He hasn't proven himself! Musil and Klefbom are the nuts!"
So you have been paying attention, that's good.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 09:50 PM
victor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post

Cause, meet effect.

Vancouver has shiny banners, and Edmonton has Hall, Hopkins, and Yakupov. Oh, and Justin Schultz, whose parents are apparently Vancouver fans. I'd put him higher than Musil and Klefbom on the "nuts" list, even with Klefbom knocking out the lights in the SEL this year.

victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 09:56 PM
Bank Shot

Quote:

You've entirely missed the point: who do the Oilers have on their deep blue line that are good enough to push Tanev off the active roster?
Smid, Petry, Schultz 1&2, Whitney will likely all be better this season.

Tanev could possibly beat out Sutton. He really doesn't bring the toughness the Oilers are looking for in that role however.

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 10:00 PM
Philly85
Moody'

lol.

anyways this trade literally makes no sense. Laugh all you want but the Oilers have depth on D in the pipeline, they will have a plethora of 3-4-5 kind of guys coming through for them in the not so distant future.

As for right now? They have Schultz, Whitney, Smid, Petry, J. Schultz, Peckham and Sutton. I suppose if the Canucks wanted to do a D swap for whatever reason, a deal could be made for rival bottom pairing/depth defensemen... certainly Tanev could be an upgrade on either Sutton or Peckham although both those Oiler players bring an element of toughness they sorely lack on the blueline...

I dunno, to me Tanev is nothing special, a nice depth player for the moment... not saying I wouldn't like to see him on the Oilers because he'd probably be a bit of an upgrade on the bottom pairing but he's not worth Paajarvi. Vancouver and Edmonton in general are pretty bad trading partners.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 11:54 PM
kcunac

Premise is decent, Oilers were bad defensively and Nucks needed more scoring. But when you look deeper, you'll see that Tanev is more important to the Nucks than PRV since he is already a 5-6 D man, who is cheap, can move the puck, good defensively, and makes Ballard much better. PRV has the higher upside, which EDM as a rebuilding/up and coming team values more. However, Tanev was better for the Nucks last year, and we are in win now mode. PRV seems to have taken a step back last season (I know EDM fans have given reasons for this, but it happened). If he was a Nucks prospect, we'd probably have him in the AHL. So yeah, I think the trade value is fair, but it doesn't make sense for the Nucks to trade a young, cheap, contributing player for a player with potential, who may or may not make the Roster next year (pretty similar to Jensen for us really). Not to mention the fact that Tanev's one of only two RHD playing the right side for the Nucks, and EDM has lots of D prospects they want to give time to ahead of Tanev.

kcunac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 12:02 PM
blankall

Quote:

Between those 5 players you've listed, there were 55 man games lost due to injury. Tanev only played 25 games in the NHL. He spent most of his time in the AHL. In other words Tanev was not able to beat out Rome/Alberts for an NHL spot. He only got to play as a call up for injuries.

Specifically Tanev played from February 18 forward full time. Ballard was injured from February 7 forward.

The Canucks have a very solid top 4, but are known for weakness in their 6-7 position. Albers and Rome are awful. Tanev did not show he was able to crack a linup including those two until a spot was opened up by Ballard going down.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 12:12 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcunac View Post
Premise is decent, Oilers were bad defensively and Nucks needed more scoring. But when you look deeper, you'll see that Tanev is more important to the Nucks than PRV since he is already a 5-6 D man, who is cheap, can move the puck, good defensively, and makes Ballard much better.

1) Ballard and Tanev only played together for 4 games last year. How can you possibly conclude that Tanev makes Ballard much better?

2) Tanev is a good puck mover? Explains the whole 2 points he racked up.

3) Of course Tanev is cheap. He's on an ELC. That only lasts for one more year though.

4) Already a 5-6 d-man? You do realize that is a bottom pairing d-man. He was also unable to crack the lineup until Ballard went down. That means he was unable to beat out Rome/Alberts for the 6-7 spot.

The fact of the matter is Tanev looked very promissing in the 2011 playoffs, but then took a huge step back last year.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 12:32 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
1) Ballard and Tanev only played together for 4 games last year. How can you possibly conclude that Tanev makes Ballard much better?

2) Tanev is a good puck mover? Explains the whole 2 points he racked up.

3) Of course Tanev is cheap. He's on an ELC. That only lasts for one more year though.

4) Already a 5-6 d-man? You do realize that is a bottom pairing d-man. He was also unable to crack the lineup until Ballard went down. That means he was unable to beat out Rome/Alberts for the 6-7 spot.

The fact of the matter is Tanev looked very promissing in the 2011 playoffs, but then took a huge step back last year.
Ballard and Tanev played together for more than 4 games. Don't know where you're getting those stats. Heck they played 4 games together in the playoffs alone. Not a coincidence that it was the best consecutive 4 game streak of Ballard's time in the green and blue.

Tanev is only a puck mover in the sense that he is very adept in moving the puck out of his own zone with a smart, strong first pass. He's never been known to foray into the offensive zone.

He's obviously still going to be cheap after his ELC. I think we'd all be shocked if he started pulling in 3-4 million on his second contract.

He was always capable of beating out Alberts and Rome for ice time. Canucks management is on record saying that they wanted to leave him in the AHL for as long as possible to continue developing with top pairing minutes. Before he was called up, his AHL coach Craig MacTavish said he thought Tanev was the best defenseman in the league at that point. It's not that he wasn't ready or capable.

Last edited by StringerBell: 10-12-2012 at 12:38 PM.
StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote