HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OHL Report: 2012-2013

Old
09-21-2012, 11:57 AM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

vCash: 500
OHL Report: 2012-2013

If the Mods are okay with this, I would like to keep this as a frequently updated source on OHL prospects (those in our system, and those coming up in future drafts) for the majority of fans here who don't have access to OHL games.

I have seasons tickets to the Niagara Ice Dogs (have since the day they moved here). I obviously can't make every game, because life happens, but if you see a game coming up, and the visiting team has a player that you want to know more about, shoot me a message and I'll leave information on what I saw in the next game.

I'm also very open for other frequent OHL goers to post the same. Especially those who have more coverage in the Western Conference (I will only see Rieder once this season).

Again I understand if this better suited for a general prospects thread, but I thought it would be better to have a source just for Oilers fans (less chatter/bickering, easier to find information).

notloilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 12:04 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Home Game 1: Niagara - 4, Erie 2

I had to leave the game after the 2nd period last night. However... Connor McDavid... wow.

In the offensive zone he plays a game that is strikingly similar to RNH. Sharp turning, great puck control and vision. He has the ability (at 15) to take the puck from his own end, dangle his way through the tightest nuetral zone in the chl and make a play at the other end. By his draft, he will likely be much stronger than RNH was at the same time. Overall I think this kid has all the tools to be better than Nuge. His only trouble was Dougie Hamilton (who is bigger, stronger and faster... and simply does not belong in that league) and he was run over in the very first shift.

2 Ice Dogs players that I will talk about frequently as they rise are Carter Verhaeghe and Anthony DiFruscia.

In their 5 years, the Ice Dogs have built a VERY strong reputation for drafting and developing. Their players are brought along slowly. (before Hamilton's and Strome's draft year, Hamilton was generally ranked around 20, and Strome generally between 2nd and 4th rounds). Both of these players have the potential to be NHL first rounders by the end of the season, and I'll report more on them as the season goes on.

Old
09-21-2012, 12:30 PM
dnicks17

Good call on the thread.

I'm hoping to get out to more Attack games this year. They have a few interesting 95s who'll be eligible for the draft.

A couple of big wingers in Zach Nastasiuk and Gilbert Gabor and a defenseman, Chris Bigras.

-Nastasiuk is around 6'1'' 195lbs right now and is looking like a solid north-south physical goal scorer.

-Gabor is a 6'3'' Swede/Slovak who scored in his OHL debut. Big, fast power forward with above average hands.

-Bigras played on the shutdown pairing with Darnell Nurse for the most recent gold medal winning Ivan Hlinka team. He's around 6'1'' 190lbs is solid in his own end, but has some good offensive inctincts too. He reminds me a lot of Matt Finn, actually.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 02:39 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Good call on the thread.

I'm hoping to get out to more Attack games this year. They have a few interesting 95s who'll be eligible for the draft.

A couple of big wingers in Zach Nastasiuk and Gilbert Gabor and a defenseman, Chris Bigras.

-Nastasiuk is around 6'1'' 195lbs right now and is looking like a solid north-south physical goal scorer.

-Gabor is a 6'3'' Swede/Slovak who scored in his OHL debut. Big, fast power forward with above average hands.

-Bigras played on the shutdown pairing with Darnell Nurse for the most recent gold medal winning Ivan Hlinka team. He's around 6'1'' 190lbs is solid in his own end, but has some good offensive inctincts too. He reminds me a lot of Matt Finn, actually.
Given the lockout would it make sense to have a sticky for each of the three CHL leagues or at least the WHL and OHL. It might be nice if there is a place to look to follow prospects that might be specifically of interest to Oiler fans. Here I don't mean just Oiler draft choices, but players that people feel might be worth keeping an eye on.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 02:52 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

Thanks for this guys. Looking forward to your updates on the OHL.

Jepprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 11:58 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
Given the lockout would it make sense to have a sticky for each of the three CHL leagues or at least the WHL and OHL. It might be nice if there is a place to look to follow prospects that might be specifically of interest to Oiler fans. Here I don't mean just Oiler draft choices, but players that people feel might be worth keeping an eye on.
Good call, Fourier. A thread like this deserves a sticky in a time like this.

Also, if anyone wants some more information on OHL prospects, I'd suggest checking out http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/

Always solid information on there and the owner, Brock, is a poster on HF and will usually answer questions on the prospects board.

Old
09-22-2012, 08:22 AM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Good call, Fourier. A thread like this deserves a sticky in a time like this.

Also, if anyone wants some more information on OHL prospects, I'd suggest checking out http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/

Always solid information on there and the owner, Brock, is a poster on HF and will usually answer questions on the prospects board.
Agreed. He is usually spot on.

Old
09-22-2012, 06:34 PM
Bouch1337

vCash: 580
Quote:
i could probbaly make it into gatineau... but if i go to watch junior i'd still prefer OHL

Bouch1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 12:05 AM
dnicks17

I hope we have at least one London Knight fan around here. I would love to hear about Nikita Zadorov.

He sounds like a legit prospect. 6'5'' 228lbs defenseman, fluid skater, throws huge hits, fights, decent skill too.

I'll have to wait until the end of November before the Knights come to Owen Sound.

Old
09-23-2012, 07:16 AM
Fourier

i should get a chance to watch a fair number of Kitchener Ranger games. I don't really think they have anyone draft eligible that would be of great interest to Oiler fans at this point, though I can update what is going on with Rieder. I'll also try to catch games when they play teams with some of the better OHL prospects.

As for Rieder, I think he will have a big year. He seems to have excellent chemistry with Matt Puempel. Throw in Faksa, who I think is a terrific prospect and that is a dynamite line. Of coures having Murphy stir the pot helps a lot too.

In game 1, Rieder and Faksa were the forwards on the #1 pk as well, so both will get a lot of ice time again this year.

Missasauga played a pretty tight, disciplined game. None of the forwards on the Steelheads really stood out for me. Stuart Percy played a lot on the backend. He seemed steady, but nothing spectacular.

Last edited by Fourier: 09-23-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Old
09-23-2012, 09:21 AM
insider
@MarkF_FC

I can chip in with some insights from both the Q and the O, I attend most 67s and Olympiques home games.

In the two games so far, I will not surprisingly say that Sean Monahan is the best draft eligible player from my region. Shocking, I know.

One thing that came up yesterday was Petes rookie goaltender Michael Giugovaz standing on his head (39 saves) to steal a win for them. I urge other OHL posters to keep an eye on this kid. 5'10 defenseman Trevor Murphy also impressed with both offensive acumen and physical play.

insider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 09:23 AM
insider
@MarkF_FC

Quote:
i should get a chance to watch a fair number of Kitchener Ranger games. I don't really think they have anyone draft eligible that would be of great interest to Oiler fans at this point, though I can update what is going on with Rieder. I'll also try to catch games when they play teams with some of the better OHL prospects.

As for Rieder, I think he will have a big year. He seems to have excellent chemistry with Matt Puempel. Throw in Faksa, who I think is a terrific prospect and that is a dynamite line. Of coures having Murphy stir the pot helps a lot too.

In game 1, Rieder and Faksa were the forwards on the #1 pk as well, so both will get a lot of ice time again this year.

Missasauga played a pretty tight, disciplined game. None of the forwards on the Steelheads really stood out for me. Stuart Percy played a lot on the backend. He seemed steady, but nothing spectacular.
How was Spencer Martin in this game? Looked really solid from the highlights...

insider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 04:09 PM
Fourier

Reider with one more assit today. The Rangers beat Sarnia 3-2 in a shoot out. Galchenyuk had 0 points. I taped the game but did not see much live. I'll try and add a little after I watch it.

Puempel had both goals for Kitchener on the pp. He is off to a very good start. He is a left winger and I really like his game. He'd be a very good prospect for the Oilers but I doubt Ottawa would give him up easily.

Old
09-23-2012, 04:11 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by insider View Post
How was Spencer Martin in this game? Looked really solid from the highlights...
Yes he did play. He made some very nice saves. Robbed Rieder on a one timer off a two on one with Puempel. The Rangers had a fair number of quality shots.

Gibson was also very good for the Rangers.

Old
09-29-2012, 07:10 AM
Fourier

Watched the Rangers Knights game last night. One kid I really liked was the young Russian defenseman Zadorov.

The first thing you notice about him is that he is HUGE. The guy is 6'5" and is listed at 228lbs. Given that he only turned 17 in April you would expect someone his size to be awkward on his skates, but he actually moves very well.

The guy is solid positionally and if given the chance will throw the big hit. He jumped up into the play a few times, but I did not see a lot from him offensively. With Maata and Harrington on the knights he can be sheltered if need be, but I would not at all be surprised to see him move up in this draft.

Last edited by Fourier: 09-29-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old
09-29-2012, 03:18 PM
phaedrusDH

vCash: 100
I've made it out to both of the first two Kingston Frontenacs games (W 3-1 v Barrie and OTW 6-5 v Erie) and will contribute a few observations:

For the Fronts:
- There was a lot of noise about sophomore centre Ryan Kujawinski being a guy to watch rise this year. I agree he has a lot of potential and is a pretty well rounded player. He was coming on strong at the end of last year, but this year has had a bit of a slower start. I like him, but I think there's at least one more forward who will be more exciting to watch this year...
- ...Which leads me to Sam Bennett, who was one of the Front's first round picks this year from the Marlboros. I believe he played LW for Connor McDavid last year. Anyway, Bennett has been really impressive in terms of his offensive instincts and his ability to win one-on-one battles against bigger guys (although he's not small at 5'11" 160 lbs). He leans hard on his stick and really uses his body positioning to gain an advantage. I felt bad for the guy in his second game last night where he took two (reasonable) penalties back-to-back at the Otters scored almost immediately on both PPs. Bennett was thrown right back out by coach Todd Gill and even played a lot of PK time though, so the Fronts obviously are working to develop this kid. I think this write-up about Bennett is pretty accurate from what I've seen so far: http://theprospectblog.com/2012/06/1...t-sam-bennett/
- Edited this post to add: Billy Jenkins had a big hat-trick last night. IIRC, goals were scored with grit going to the dirty areas for a couple and had one nice slapper from the slot.

- On D, Michael Moffat has really emerged early this season as a strong defender, after being fairly mediocre in previous seasons. So far he's shown good instincts at both ends of the ice, but it's his defensive play that has really stood out. During the first game, he had a few big hits and counted about 6 blocked shots.
- Warren Steele was getting a lot of buzz last year for his offensive abilities. I can see why, but I still don't see that much more potential to his game. He's a good guy to have on the PP and complimentary to a guy like his partner, Moffat, but I think his lack of size and speed will hinder him in the long-run.
- Roland McKeown is another rookie to watch on the Fronts. He was selected #2 after teammate McDavid. I haven't seen a lot from this kid so far, but that's probably a good sign because it means he's not making many mistakes. I just don't think he's getting that many chances to show off his offense yet.

On the opposition:
- Mark Scheifele really didn't make a whole lot happen during his first visit to town. Kingston was checking him very closely, but he also didn't show a whole lot of compete in his game.
- Connor McDavid, on the other hand - WOW. This kid is going to be good. What impressed me the most, other than the obvious (his hands), was how well he used his teammates in high traffic areas. There were many beautiful back-handed passes that were tape to tape. He's got great acceleration and speed too - he had one memorable rush starting at the defensive face-off circle, straight up the ice, splitting a pair of Kingston forwards with ease and then walking around the Kingston defensemen for a solid scoring opportunity.

That's it for now...let me know if there's anybody you want comments on and I'll try to watch them in future games. I like to key in on a few players each game - especially defensemen, since that's the position I play...

I will probably make it out to a lot of games this year now that the company I work for has bought season's ticket and I have vouchers for about 16 more tickets. I'll try to keep things up to date.

This is definitely an exciting team on the rise. I just hope the NHL lock-out will motivate more fans to come out to the games.

Last edited by phaedrusDH: 09-29-2012 at 03:44 PM.
phaedrusDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 03:39 PM
phaedrusDH

Quote:

Fourier, what do you think the chances are of Rieder ending at the top of the OHL scoring race this year?

Fronts are coming to your turf on Oct. 12, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Old
09-29-2012, 06:27 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaedrusDH View Post
Fourier, what do you think the chances are of Rieder ending at the top of the OHL scoring race this year?

Fronts are coming to your turf on Oct. 12, I'd love to hear your thoughts!
Going into the season I would have said that he had a solid shot. The problem right now is that the Rangers do not seem to be able to score at even strength. And at this point they alsoe have no secondary scoring at all. So the Faksa/Rieder/Puempel line is going to get a lot of attention.

The other issue is what happens to Murphy if the NHL settles. Without him, it will be tough.

The Oct 12th game is in Kingston I believe. BTW, I spent two years in Kingston about two decades ago. I went to a lot of games and have fond memories of some real wars with Bellville.

Last edited by Fourier: 09-29-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old
09-29-2012, 06:55 PM
phaedrusDH

You're right, my mistake, the game on Oct. 12 is in Kingston. I guess I'll get to check out Reider again.

The battles against Belleville have gotten a little stale over the past few years with neither team doing all that well.

If you ever get a chance you should come back to Kingston for a game. The newish (09) arena is a nice upgrade over the old M-centre.

Old
09-29-2012, 07:01 PM
Fourier

Quote:
You're right, my mistake, the game on Oct. 12 is in Kingston. I guess I'll get to check out Reider again.

The battles against Belleville have gotten a little stale over the past few years with neither team doing all that well.

If you ever get a chance you should come back to Kingston for a game. The newish (09) arena is a nice upgrade over the old M-centre.
I have seen the new arena from the outside but never been in it.

I actually liked the old Memorial Center with the big portrait of the Queen looking as if she was monitoring the crowd to keep them in line. We lived close to the arena at Princess and Division in the old apartment building that looks like a grain elevator. It was a total dump, but we had a great time. Great memories of the city.

Old
10-07-2012, 05:49 AM
Fourier

Rieder with a shootout goal but otherwise no points in a 2-1 Ranger loss to Saginaw.

I don't know what the deal is with the Rangers. They had 33 shots again last night but they just can't score. The game was not televised so I don't know what kid of chances they had or how Rieder played. In the 3 games I have seen he had some bad luck and the team as a whole ran into great goaltending, but this can be the case every night. THey really need to get back home. Starting out the schedule with 8 straight road games is tough.

On a more positive note Zharkov scored last night as the Bull's blitzed Ottawa. The game description says the following.

Quote:
Zharkov, who was also given ample space to flash his high end skill, made the most of his opportunity, slamming a puck through the legs of Blair at 3:10.
It seems Monahan was wearing the C for Ottawa. The kid is suppose to be a great leader.

Max Domi is off to a great start in London with another goal and assit last night. He has 4 goals and 11 points in 6 games so far.

The kid is not that big but he is a battler. It will be interesting to watch how he moves through this year's draft class.

Old
10-10-2012, 07:55 PM
phaedrusDH

Quick Kingston Frontenacs update:

Kujawinski was named OHL player of the week last week and had five points in two games scoring twice with three assists. He's leading the team in scoring.

Mike Moffat, whom I was touting earlier now has 1G 7A, leading the D.

Fronts have lost 3 straight and are 3-3. I'm looking forward to watching them play Fourier's Rangers on Friday. Reider and Puempel will be fun to see.

Quote:
It seems Monahan was wearing the C for Ottawa. The kid is suppose to be a great leader.

Max Domi is off to a great start in London with another goal and assit last night. He has 4 goals and 11 points in 6 games so far.
I agree - these two kids are going to be high picks this year. I was very impressed by Monahan in the Can-Rus challenge.

Old
10-10-2012, 08:53 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

So is Domi a pretty tough kid? ie. built like and plays like Mike Richards at the same age?

10-11-2012, 05:28 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Quick Kingston Frontenacs update:

Kujawinski was named OHL player of the week last week and had five points in two games scoring twice with three assists. He's leading the team in scoring.

Mike Moffat, whom I was touting earlier now has 1G 7A, leading the D.

Fronts have lost 3 straight and are 3-3. I'm looking forward to watching them play Fourier's Rangers on Friday. Reider and Puempel will be fun to see.
I hope you can give us the skinny on how Rieder's line looks this year. The Rangers have yet to play a home game and I think it is wearing on these kids. They should be able to score but so far this year they have been a dud offensively. If it wasn't for Faksa, Rieder and Puempel the Rangers would have about 3 goals.

Have you seen Zharkov yet. Beleville is off to a pretty decent start, but like Kitchener, they don't score a lot.

Old
10-11-2012, 05:43 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
So is Domi a pretty tough kid? ie. built like and plays like Mike Richards at the same age?
From my limited viewings (8 games?) I'd say that he is not nearly as aggressive physically as Richards was when he played here. Domi seems quite strong and is not afraid to go to the greasy areas. But Richards had much more of a mean streak.

What Domi is is a really gifted hockey player. And he seems to always be around the puck. He can score but also dish. He is also a much better skater than Richards was/is. While I think the Oilers need size in the #2C slot in Domi what you are getting is a guy with skill and hockey sense like Gagner who is a much better skater and a lot harder to deal with physically.