HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is it realistic to trade Grabo and make room for our prospects?

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2012, 06:34 AM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
For now he is. The issue is that since you can't really put him anywhere else other than #2C, he's sort of taking up a spot that is usually used as a stepping stone for some prospects. We'll see what sort of lineup mix Carlyle prefers over the next season or two, but currently, the likes of McKegg, Colborne and even potentially Kadri may not really best suited for 3rd line roles / minutes. Or are we going to start converting all our center prospects to wingers to make room for them in the lineup?

Burke's also signed Komisarek to a 5 year deal not all that long ago. Was that a statement that he's been a staple on this team?
Was Komisarek traded while I was sleeping?

Old
10-11-2012, 06:37 AM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
That's the question, we have been 23rd, 29th, 21st, and 25th the past 4 years. Are we really close to making the playoffs? To me there is no progress at the club level with the exception of JVR, he's a nice piece but let's temper the excitement because he has thus far been a 40 point on the verge top 6 player.

If we keep going to the well with this core of players, and I am not talking about the 3rd and 4th lines or the 5th or 5th defencemen, how is this team going to make the playoffs with essentially the same personnel? I agree Grabo will eventually be traded, it is only a matter of time. Only his biggest backers believe he will be here when this team turns it around. The only promising part of our team is our prospects pool, for this gives up hope. Hopefully they can fill some badly needed holes in the top 6 group and the top 4 defencemen on the depth chart.
Maybe we could trade Grabbo to the Isles for Tavares, who has been an absolute failure as a 1c.

Old
10-11-2012, 07:36 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
That's the question, we have been 23rd, 29th, 21st, and 25th the past 4 years. Are we really close to making the playoffs? To me there is no progress at the club level with the exception of JVR, he's a nice piece but let's temper the excitement because he has thus far been a 40 point on the verge top 6 player.

If we keep going to the well with this core of players, and I am not talking about the 3rd and 4th lines or the 5th or 5th defencemen, how is this team going to make the playoffs with essentially the same personnel? I agree Grabo will eventually be traded, it is only a matter of time. Only his biggest backers believe he will be here when this team turns it around. The only promising part of our team is our prospects pool, for this gives up hope. Hopefully they can fill some badly needed holes in the top 6 group and the top 4 defencemen on the depth chart.
JvR is not going to be a 40 point player with the Leafs though. On the Flyers, over the years he was not given the chance to play the role he was drafted for because at one point or another guys like Richards, Carter, Lupul, Hartnell, Jagr, Gagne were ahead of him on the depth chart, and then when those guys were traded...he got injured and saw prospects like Schenn and incoming players like Voracek/Simmonds take over that time.

I think he can manage to get 50-60 points with the Leafs in his first season.

Old
10-11-2012, 07:39 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Winning has nothing to do with the quality of players you put on the ice, period? And I thought we were in the business of trying to win.
Quality of players...trading Grabo makes us worse. Unless we want to finish dead last, trading Grabo is not an option.

We aren't losing because of Grabo, we aren't winning because of goaltending, defense, system and a consistent offense. Everything is wrong with the Leafs, not just the Leafs.

At least our defense looks studded for the future if 2-3 guys out of Blacker, Percy, Finn, Rielly, etc pan out.

Offense..it's non-existent at times. Our offense runs through Phil Kessel, he gets hurt or he has a slump, the Leafs are not going to win.

Goaltending, one of them has to step up.

Old
10-11-2012, 07:48 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeEddie View Post
It has nothing to do with whether Grabbo is a 2c or not, which he is. Still have not seem anything from you supporting the fact that he is not.
He wouldn't be #2C on LA, Boston, Vancouver, or even NJ(though some would debate this) would he? I think this is the point you are missing as much as I keep reiterating it. On a good team he is not a top 2C. Not unless you think he gives you a better chance of winning than Richards, Bergeron, Kesler, Henriques, I can go on and on. He is a default #1C or #2C on our team because we have no one else. So yes I do agree with you ultimately he is a #2C on this team and would be on a few of the non contending teams.

Old
10-11-2012, 07:56 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Quality of players...trading Grabo makes us worse. Unless we want to finish dead last, trading Grabo is not an option.

We aren't losing because of Grabo, we aren't winning because of goaltending, defense, system and a consistent offense. Everything is wrong with the Leafs, not just the Leafs.

At least our defense looks studded for the future if 2-3 guys out of Blacker, Percy, Finn, Rielly, etc pan out.

Offense..it's non-existent at times. Our offense runs through Phil Kessel, he gets hurt or he has a slump, the Leafs are not going to win.

Goaltending, one of them has to step up.
Grabo, Macarthur, Bozak, Kule, probably won't be top 6 fwds if this team is a contender one day, they fit now, because we have no one else, once there is an upgrade, Burke will move them down the line up or out of town. Kule and Bozie would be good candidates for the 3rd line. The other 2 I don't see room for them with our prospects maturing within 1 or 2 seasons.

Old
10-11-2012, 07:57 AM
Funk Volume
Independent Living

Basically, you want to trade Grabo for pieces that may or may not be as good as he is, to make room for prospects that may or may not be as productive as him? Ok then.....

Old
10-11-2012, 08:25 AM
bunjay

Quote:
Grabo, Macarthur, Bozak, Kule, probably won't be top 6 fwds if this team is a contender one day, they fit now, because we have no one else, once there is an upgrade, Burke will move them down the line up or out of town. Kule and Bozie would be good candidates for the 3rd line. The other 2 I don't see room for them with our prospects maturing within 1 or 2 seasons.
Not really sure how you see our prospect pool being so strong that over half our top six is going to be replaced internally. The original question was `is it realistic to trade Grabo and make room for our prospects.` The answer is an incredibly obvious no. We have zero prospects at forward ready to step into our top six. We especially have nobody who can step in at center and give us even what Grabovski did in his rookie season, let alone what he gives us now. Signing Grabovski for $5.5 was a keep-him-at-all-costs move. The Leafs were never in a position to be trading away centers.

Old
10-11-2012, 08:27 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydidijoin View Post
Guys. Stop arguing with these known trolls. It gets you nowhere.
Why are you a troll if you question the competence of players on a team as lame as the Leafs have been for almost a decade now? I don't get it? All you clowns think the Leafs are chock full of talent and that all their players are great. Every single player on this squad has its fanbois. Doesn't matter if its the plugs on the 4th line like Mike Brown, Colton Orr or David Steckel or the "star" players like Phaneuf, Kessel, Lupul...Every single player has fans who will jump to their defense. But the truth is that this is not a very good hockey team and if you do the math, it usually means that the individual players are not very good which is what the end result showcases. WHen you finish as poorly as the Leafs have, it certainly means there is a ton of room for improvement. A TON.

Unless you like losers of course.

Old
10-11-2012, 08:35 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
Not really sure how you see our prospect pool being so strong that over half our top six is going to be replaced internally. The original question was `is it realistic to trade Grabo and make room for our prospects.` The answer is an incredibly obvious no. We have zero prospects at forward ready to step into our top six. We especially have nobody who can step in at center and give us even what Grabovski did in his rookie season, let alone what he gives us now. Signing Grabovski for $5.5 was a keep-him-at-all-costs move. The Leafs were never in a position to be trading away centers.
I like this summary.

There isn't anyone Grabovski is blocking.

Much of the rest of this thread is OT, flaming, trolling or bashing.

/thread.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Closed Thread