HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Automobile Questions

Old
10-10-2012, 11:30 AM
e46330ivs*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
Do you even know what you are talking about? Have you ever own a MB or a Lexus? Didn't think so...lol
Do you know what your talking about, it is a glorified Toyota, anyone can slap a v8 in any car and call it fast the M3 runs circles on both the c63 and the isf on a racetrack, bmw is in a class of its own when discussing the motorsport aspect of the cars. Dont get me wrong I love the look of the is-f and love the sound of the benz but bmw as the best car all around.

isf 13 sec behind on nurburgring.
c63 is 8 sec behind on nurburgring

and they both have more power then the m3 and if we compared m5 4 door to 4 door - lol. not even close.

e46330ivs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 02:04 PM
Joe Cole

Nurburgring times are fine and dandy. No one who tracks his own cars regularly thinks these are track cars. They are simply to heavy. While they can perform short term at the track, they are not designed for that role. Their suspension, brakes, high center of gravity and other elements that make them luxurious make it hard on moving parts and consumables at the track. End of story.

All of those crazy horsepower luxo cars are great for the street. Lots of power, sound cool, comfort you when you need it, thrill you when you want.

There is no loser among them. They are the kings of street cars.

M-car, AMG, Lexus -F, Jag -R, Audi RS .... they are all great. Which you prefer is up to you and the deal you can work out for them.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 02:22 PM
GoHomez

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46330ivs View Post
Do you know what your talking about, it is a glorified Toyota, anyone can slap a v8 in any car and call it fast the M3 runs circles on both the c63 and the isf on a racetrack, bmw is in a class of its own when discussing the motorsport aspect of the cars. Dont get me wrong I love the look of the is-f and love the sound of the benz but bmw as the best car all around.

and they both have more power then the m3 and if we compared m5 4 door to 4 door - lol. not even close.
Except that the car in point, the IS - apart from the diesel sold in Europe - doesn't share any key components with Toyota.

And come on, IS-F is Lexus' first attempt at a super sedan, something MB and BMW has perfected since the early 80:es! If I'm BMW/MB I'd be scared enought that they are that close with their attempt.
Have you even been to the Ring?
Like Joe Cole puts it, the lap times are fine and dandy. Put some laps in yourself and come back and tell us it is the be all end all measuring stick for production cars. It is not.

This comes from someone who used to pick up my pay check from Audi, and has owned Mercs as well as BMWs, which is what I am driving currently.
No one in the industry takes Lexus, or Toyota for that matter, lightly. I don't know about Canada but in most parts of the world, they are a top notch company from top to bottom.

GoHomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 08:04 PM
e46330ivs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmontreal View Post
Except that the car in point, the IS - apart from the diesel sold in Europe - doesn't share any key components with Toyota.

And come on, IS-F is Lexus' first attempt at a super sedan, something MB and BMW has perfected since the early 80:es! If I'm BMW/MB I'd be scared enought that they are that close with their attempt.
Like Joe Cole puts it, the lap times are fine and dandy. Put some laps in yourself and come back and tell us it is the be all end all measuring stick for production cars. It is not.

This comes from someone who used to pick up my pay check from Audi, and has owned Mercs as well as BMWs, which is what I am driving currently.
No one in the industry takes Lexus, or Toyota for that matter, lightly. I don't know about Canada but in most parts of the world, they are a top notch company from top to bottom.
The thing most people dont understand is that BMW sets the bar, then everyone as to scramble and come out with something they say is better, but its never quite so. Your absolutely right nurburgring times are irrelevant to the average joe. BMW will never compromise on the characteristics that make it the ultimate driving machine, their handling, braking, performance and lastly the sound proof characteristics of all there vehicles is the reason they dont have anything to rival all the lightweight supercars of the world, weight is the enemy, but bmw will never compromise.

Old
10-10-2012, 08:18 PM
e46330ivs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmontreal View Post

and btw theres many engines and suspension parts that are interchangeable between many toyotas and lexus. While I worked at BMW twice they organized events at Mont Tremblant and invited all the major manufacturers to bring out their cars for test drives around the track, some were faster, some had better brakes, some looked better, but none had that perfect 50-50 balance and the steering feedback you get from driving a BMW

Old
10-10-2012, 09:26 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
Yeah alrighty there son. Lexus ( toyota ) best car.....
You may want to read some literature on quality.

BMW owners spend more time in the shop than Citroen owners. In fact more than any owners of any car make.

But thanks for the advice "dad". lol.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 09:37 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post

BMW owners spend more time in the shop than Citroen owners. In fact more than any owners of any car make.

Pretty much. People slap performance numbers like it's only thing that matters. Lexus is the standard for quality. It counts for something. It's not to make the other cars seem bad but depending the person different characteristics may be appealing.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 07:29 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Lexus

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 07:30 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:

Thasts just ******** and it furthers my notion that you are clueless. I am a BM owner and well, your statement is ludicrous.

Old
10-11-2012, 07:50 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Thasts just ******** and it furthers my notion that you are clueless. I am a BM owner and well, your statement is ludicrous.
Depends. One could easily perceive "I am a BM owner" as bias too.

Besides why is quality ridiculous?

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 08:46 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Depends. One could easily perceive "I am a BM owner" as bias too.

Besides why is quality ridiculous?
Bias yes i agree with you, because i know what i have put in repairs since i bought my car...it was 1 year old when i got it and now its 7 years old and has 240K kms' on it...my ex wife drove a lexus, to me was nothing but an upgraded toyota.

But we all know that everyone has different tastes right ?

Look at Laffs fans hehe

Old
10-11-2012, 09:19 AM
Avim86

My Dad has the Lexus Rx400H and he loves it , he's had an XF Jag/Mercedes SL/BMW X5...

Avim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 09:23 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:

How many years in a row has the BMW 3 series been in the Car and Driver top 10 "Best Cars" list? To add a personal note, during the period when I was driving an '87 5 series and then an '87 7 series, even those things ran into difficulty less often than many of my friends' late '90s Civics, Sentras, Jettas/Golfs, etc. AND I was having more fun driving my cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Pretty much. People slap performance numbers like it's only thing that matters. Lexus is the standard for quality. It counts for something. It's not to make the other cars seem bad but depending the person different characteristics may be appealing.
Here are some other findings from the CarMD study ( Its database since 1996 includes about 500,000 repair reports):

Luxury brands generally fared worse because of repair frequency, not high costs. Lexus, for instance, rated more poorly than corporate stablemate Toyota. This conflicts with high owner ratings for Lexus in surveys like that from J.D. Power and Associates. The Mercedes-Benz parent company and BMW ranked below the top 10 in this report, though CarMD did not give ranking details beyond the top 10.

Last edited by Ohashi_Jouzu: 10-11-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 09:28 AM
Bunka Gurndeep

Lol BMW.

For the price:performance ratio, nobody is beating the Nissan GTR. Nobody.

Bunka Gurndeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 09:43 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunka Gurndeep View Post
Lol BMW.

Absolute dream to drive. Don't know if/how much they've gotten better in most recent years, but I got to drive a friend's mid-2000s ('06? '07?) GTR along the Japan Sea coast up where I lived, and I had so much fun seeing how high I could get the G-force meter on some of those coastal mountain switchbacks. She didn't seem concerned about lending me her car for a rip at first. An hour later, though, she had to call my cell to "check in", hahahaha.

Don't get how that translates into a "lol BMW", though. Given enough money right now to make the choice, I'd still rather pay half the money and get a used BMW that offers much more than half the driving pleasure of a new GTR.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 10:15 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Lol BMW.

Ummm what ? Whay are you comparing my 330xi to a Nissan GTR ? Pretty silly actually.

Old
10-11-2012, 10:20 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
Just bought a new black on black Lexus IS F. I had a BMW, a Mercedes, a Volvo before but this is the best car. Love the 416 HP...
Right on!
Quote:

If you want a track car, buy yourself a track car. Those are not track car.

Quote:
Lol BMW.

The ZR1 say's hello. You'll never get the same feel out of the GTR.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 10:21 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Ummm what ? Whay are you comparing my 330xi to a Nissan GTR ? Pretty silly actually.
Are you comparing your 330XI to ISF'S, C63'S and M5'S??

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 10:28 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Are you comparing your 330XI to ISF'S, C63'S and M5'S??
Euh ? Have you even driven a car before ?

Old
10-11-2012, 10:30 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Euh ? Have you even driven a car before ?
Sorry i didnt mean it as insulting, i meant have you ever driven a ZHP ?

Old
10-11-2012, 08:03 PM
e46330ivs*

Quote:
Lol BMW.

your absolutely right but 2 things, Im 6'4 225 and cant sit in those seats comfortably, and maintenance is absolutely ridiculous on that car I have a friend who's got one and races it $7500 on front brakes alone and that was at a bargain, Ive owned 2 M3's and 1 M5 in my life and Ive never spent $7500 on maintenance total for all of them- brakes and tires and a couple control arms, stab links and bushings and a couple tie rods all typical stuff, the only break down I had was with the M5 the rad blew up at the track.

Old
10-12-2012, 09:24 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
and btw theres many engines and suspension parts that are interchangeable between many toyotas and lexus. While I worked at BMW twice they organized events at Mont Tremblant and invited all the major manufacturers to bring out their cars for test drives around the track, some were faster, some had better brakes, some looked better, but none had that perfect 50-50 balance and the steering feedback you get from driving a BMW
You know, it is great that you are happy with our choice in the BMW's. Seriously. It is also great that you recommend them from personal use.

But the way you repeat marketing catch phrases like "perfect 50-50 balance" and refer to their steering feedback just cheapens any of your arguments.

While BMW was praised for years for their great steering feel, in recent times, they have been widely criticized for really numb steering since their switch to electrically assisted steering.

BMW's are wonderful cars, but they are not perfect. No car is. When anyone goes on a tear saying that one specific car is the best, it only shows how narrow a perspective they have, and it makes their opinions like those of a fanboi.

I will take a BMW 335 over a IS350, any day. But that does not make the IS a bad car, nor does it make the 335 perfect either. Hell, even BMW cheerleaders Car and Driver said that Cadillac, yes Caddy, makes a more well rounded sports sedan.

To each his own, and none of them are perfect.

(btw, the GTR isn't either!)

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 04:02 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:

BWM 3 Series judged worst car on the market for breakdowns

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/c...able-cars.html

Lexus Leads in Quality, BMW 20th, Hyundai now 10th
http://www.topgear.com/au/car-news/2...ability-survey

Based on JD Power and Associates and Consumer Reports studies, Forbes top 10 most reliable used cars:
5 Toyota Products (including 2 Lexus)
2 Honda products
0 BMW’s

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorze...ble-used-cars/

Based on JD Power and Associates and Consumer Reports studies, Forbes 10 used cars to avoid :
1 BMW
0 Toyota products

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/ehmk45igdd/bmw-x5/

Best initial Quality – JD Power and associates. Lexus leads in luxury categories

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story....s&story=iqsCar

Toyota, Lexus plants tops in quality – JD Power and Associates

http://www.driving.ca/Toyota+plant+L...401/story.html

Edit: Don't want to come off as a dck, even though I didn't like your "clueless" comment. I like BMW I have owned the product, I have also owned a lot of other products of various quality and satisfaction/frustration levels. Horsepower is fun, leading edge electronics are fun, but in the end the mechanics report (even under warranty) is like a dentist check up. There's not always good news coming from it.

My buying policy is limited to a few brands because of great experiences with those products and bad experiences from other products. I buy Lexus/Toyota and Acura/Honda, some people might find that boring especially if they think a GS Lexus is a souped up Toyota and are willing to think that despite Toyota being the most successful automotive company on the planet.

Last edited by Agnostic: 10-14-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old
10-14-2012, 04:39 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

Great, yet another car discussion infested with fanboys!

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 04:50 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
Great, yet another car discussion infested with fanboys!
Great another discussion interrupted by someone who typed something after only reading the last 3 posts of the thread.